List Mgmt. Trade & F/A - 2017/2018 - Refreshed (cont in part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want to compare playing footy to a normal job. People in the business world who get paid 500k per year get fired for not fulfilling tasks to the best of their ability. Maybe AFL contracts need better performance clauses.
maybe performance clauses are needed. But at didaksrightfoot pointed out the contract was also signed by the club - can't blame Wellsy for not retiring.

If you want to compare playing footy to a normal job. People in the business world who get paid 500k per year get fired for not fulfilling tasks to the best of their ability. Maybe AFL contracts need better performance clauses.
Clubs may well wish to have more performance clauses in contracs but the reality is they won't sign players. If yoo want to land May for instance it's a high unconditional salary and a long term deal or he goes to one of the many other clubs after his services. If you want to re sign De Goey next time around it's almost whatever he wants or 17 other clubs fight for his signature. We can't put injury/playing clauses in Moore's contract because Sydney (or whoever) wont.

As for the business world, performance contracts are not that common other than with bonus clauses. They are for the cream that in a footy context would blow the salary cap out of the water.

Pots kettle

Is there one thread on trade or two threads on trade

Seems two running at same time

IS A STAR MAGPIE DEFENDER HEADING WEST?

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/10/01/is-a-star-magpie-defender-heading-west/

The Herald Sun's Sam Edmund has revealed that there have been whispers that the Fremantle Dockers are interested in Collingwood defender Tom Langdon.

While Langdon had been in and out of the side in previous seasons, the medium-sized defender cemented a spot this year and showed off his intercept marking prowess in the team's losing Grand Final performance.

"You know he has a brother that he has a brother that plays football for Fremantle," said Edmund.

"There's been... whispers... that the Dockers might be into Langdon of the Collingwood variety.

The Herald Sun's Sam Edmund has revealed that there have been whispers that the Fremantle Dockers are interested in Collingwood defender Tom Langdon.

While Langdon had been in and out of the side in previous seasons, the medium-sized defender cemented a spot this year and showed off his intercept marking prowess in the team's losing Grand Final performance.

"You know he has a brother that he has a brother that plays football for Fremantle," said Edmund.

"There's been... whispers... that the Dockers might be into Langdon of the Collingwood variety.
“In and out of the side”...please. He was our last year due to injury

Reports that Adams going to Bris on a 4 yr $500k deal. Would’ve thought they were ok for KPDs.

Theory is that it will free up Andrews to be more of an intercept defender.

The big problems we have at the moment are that we A) have minimal trade currency at the moment and B) with exit interviews only likely starting today or tomorrow we're behind the eight ball compared to other teams who can freely discuss player movements and pick swaps right now.

I'm half expecting that we might not land anyone significant in the KPP department during this trade period, probably more because we don't have desirable picks than anything else.

Last edited:

Just sounds like he went on Twitter and saw a tweet and put into his own words... Embarrassing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would prefer Langdon to stay, however, if forced to leave, could Mihocek play the intercepting role?
Yeah he could, so could Murphy if he bulls up a bit and Sharenbergbwheb he gets back. McLarty could as well if put back into the backline.

I’d rather keep him but I’m not worried if he goes.

Reports that Adams going to Bris on a 4 yr $500k deal. Would’ve thought they were ok for KPDs.

and Why would he want to go to Lions and not us. Got more Chances getting a Game with us

and Why would he want to go to Lions and not us. Got more Chances getting a Game with us
Probably because we aren’t stupid or desperate enough to be offering a $500k 4 year contract to a bloke who’s more injury prone than Moore?

Probably because we aren’t stupid or desperate enough to be offering a $500k 4 year contract to a bloke who’s more injury prone than Moore?

So looking at the Moment. We be pretty much Staying Put

Yeah he could, so could Murphy if he bulls up a bit and Sharenbergbwheb he gets back. McLarty could as well if put back into the backline.

I’d rather keep him but I’m not worried if he goes.
I think Murphy will be a ripper for us. His kicking is excellent. He may still need to mature into his body and having Mihocek’s maturity back there could help settle us

That’s what I thought when I read it! He’s been a regular addition from day 1!! Crazy lack of knowledge by the author.

Really?

Langdon has clearly cemented his place now - but I really think that has only occured over the last 6 months.

I think prior to that, many thought he had plateaued after his 1st year, and that was a limited defender - who was a great intercept marker, but struggled with 1-1 defending, and with his disposal and decision making.
There was also a big question mark over whether we could play both Langdon and Shaz as mid-sized defenders, alongside Dunn and either Moore/Goldy as your talls, Howe as another Mid, and Maynard and a few ? As the smalls.
Langdon was far from a garaunteed best 22 player at the start of this year.
---

As for what happens now - it depends entirely on the type of contract numbers being talked about. (And the same applies to Moore).

I would suggest the contract in front of Langdon is in the 500-range. If another club (Freo) throw in a Polec type of offer (800ish) then i would be disappointed if we matched it - he is not worth anywhere close to that. If we can match something in the middle - great. If we can't? Then look for a trade. Losing Langdon would not be the end of the world.

Theory is that it will free up Andrews to be more of an intercept defender.

The big problems we have at the moment are that we A) have minimal trade currency at the moment and B) with exit interviews only likely starting today or tomorrow we're behind the eight ball compared to other teams who can freely discuss player movements and pick swaps right now.

I'm half expecting that we might not land anyone significant in the KPP department during this trade period, probably more because we don't have desirable picks than anything else.

Yeah and if sign darcy am ok with that.

Few options including Reid coming back and sending him back. Alternatively Sam McLarty and where he plays another option.

Also a couple of players been delisted / DFAs I'd at least run ruler over. Hugh Goddard, Kieran Collins and Jack Hombsch would be a couple.

Really?

Langdon has clearly cemented his place now - but I really think that has only occured over the last 6 months.

I think prior to that, many thought he had plateaued after his 1st year, and that was a limited defender - who was a great intercept marker, but struggled with 1-1 defending, and with his disposal and decision making.
There was also a big question mark over whether we could play both Langdon and Shaz as mid-sized defenders, alongside Dunn and either Moore/Goldy as your talls, Howe as another Mid, and Maynard and a few ? As the smalls.
Langdon was far from a garaunteed best 22 player at the start of this year.
---

As for what happens now - it depends entirely on the type of contract numbers being talked about. (And the same applies to Moore).

I would suggest the contract in front of Langdon is in the 500-range. If another club (Freo) throw in a Polec type of offer (800ish) then i would be disappointed if we matched it - he is not worth anywhere close to that. If we can match something in the middle - great. If we can't? Then look for a trade. Losing Langdon would not be the end of the world.
In your mind maybe, but the coaches, he is best 22 at the end of last year after all they rushed him back into the side as soon as they could and was at the start of this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back