List Mgmt. Trade & F/A - 2017/2018 - Refreshed (cont in part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would prefer Langdon to stay, however, if forced to leave, could Mihocek play the intercepting role?
No he couldn't. As for Langdon, he's another that we should trade for the right (high) price. He's a good intercept mark but he's a little undersized for the role and and a habitual cross ground first option kicker.

Last edited:
It'll be about the only portion of his contract the fat bugger actually manages to fulfil.

How nice is it to see blokes like Riewoldt openly stating their willingness to take cut backs for the betterment of their team while we are stuck with Daniel Wells squeezing every last free feed out of the club buffet as his career of underachievement and disappointment meekly rolls to an end. What a legacy.
Do you realise that if he retires we still cop his contracted salary in the cap?

Seems this rumour was in fact true

May was prepared to sign a 2 year deal then the club said no we want more of a commitment.

So the suns twisted his arm and now he knows that he has abit of interest.

I think the way it’s going he will goto dees for pick 5 that freo will use to land hogan.

Really?

Langdon has clearly cemented his place now - but I really think that has only occured over the last 6 months.

I think prior to that, many thought he had plateaued after his 1st year, and that was a limited defender - who was a great intercept marker, but struggled with 1-1 defending, and with his disposal and decision making.
There was also a big question mark over whether we could play both Langdon and Shaz as mid-sized defenders, alongside Dunn and either Moore/Goldy as your talls, Howe as another Mid, and Maynard and a few ? As the smalls.
Langdon was far from a garaunteed best 22 player at the start of this year.
---

As for what happens now - it depends entirely on the type of contract numbers being talked about. (And the same applies to Moore).

I would suggest the contract in front of Langdon is in the 500-range. If another club (Freo) throw in a Polec type of offer (800ish) then i would be disappointed if we matched it - he is not worth anywhere close to that. If we can match something in the middle - great. If we can't? Then look for a trade. Losing Langdon would not be the end of the world.
Lots of BF debate, but it’s been pretty clear from day 1 that the coaches have had him in the best 22. There’s a reason he was brought in last year off the back of 1 VFL game from long term injury, even though he was clearly underdone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In your mind maybe, but the coaches, he is best 22 at the end of last year after all they rushed him back into the side as soon as they could and was at the start of this year.
By all indications he’s been best 22 in the coaches eyes for a good few years.

By all indications he’s been best 22 in the coaches eyes for a good few years.
Basically since the first game he played for us, he has been best 22.
Never not.

In your mind maybe, but the coaches, he is best 22 at the end of last year after all they rushed him back into the side as soon as they could and was at the start of this year.

Lots of BF debate, but it’s been pretty clear from day 1 that the coaches have had him in the best 22. There’s a reason he was brought in last year off the back of 1 VFL game from long term injury, even though he was clearly underdone.

I think the contract offered by the club would be a more accurate way to determine how they rate him.

Its reported he's had a contract in front of him all year. The fact he hasn't signed it suggests that he has been asking for more, and his performances the last few months show he was probably right to bet on himself.
We will now see how much the club will budge on that offer.

We have seen with Jordan - that when pressured, the club was very willing to bump its offer for a highly rated player.

We have also seen with Darcy that, when concerns are present, the club has been very cautious about overpaying someone higher than their rating of him.

Time will tell what happens with both. I want to keep Langdon, but it would not surprise me if another clubs offers him a big deal and we are not willing to match it. That would be the proof of where we rate him.

I think the contract offered by the club would be a more accurate way to determine how they rate him.

Its reported he's had a contract in front of him all year. The fact he hasn't signed it suggests that he has been asking for more, and his performances the last few months show he was probably right to bet on himself.

We have seen with Jordan - that when pressured, the club was very willing to bump its offer for a highly rated player.

We have also seen with Darcy that, when concerns are present, the club has been very cautious about overpaying someone higher than their rating of him.

Time will tell what happens with both. I want to keep Langdon, but it would not surprise me if another clubs offers him a big deal and we are not willing to match it. That would be the proof of where we rate him.
It does not mean the club doesn’t rate him, if a another club puts in a silly offer and the club won’t match, l fine with that.
Cannot do deals that are outrageous in years and money.
Coaches rate him from day one though.

I’m not sure what that has to do with what I said, which is the club has had him in their best 22 from day 1. He’s literally been dropped only once in his entire career for form, all the rest he’s missed has been injury. It’s not really even up for debate. Now they may rate him in the bottom half of the 22 and consider him expendable, but that doesn’t mean that he hasn’t been a 22 lock for almost his entire career.

All for turning Langdon into pick 5 or higher if possible.

Re: Neade- Port have back ended a few contracts so could be pushing the cap.
I don’t think we have enough natural crumbers and feel that it was even more evident in the first half of the GF when Coxy brought the ball to ground only for it to be taken away by the Eagles.
Sidey, Varcoe and Broomy are the three that I would consider our most natural crumbers. Sidey spends his time in the midfield, Varcoe is a year by year proposition and Broomy is coming off a broken leg.

Do you realise that if he retires we still cop his contracted salary in the cap?
Do we? Or is it a lesser amount if he retires on his own accord? Like Hawks and Rioli. I don’t Actually know but would be happy to listen if you can explain how it works.

All for turning Langdon into pick 5 or higher if possible.

Re: Neade- Port have back ended a few contracts so could be pushing the cap.
I don’t think we have enough natural crumbers and feel that it was even more evident in the first half of the GF when Coxy brought the ball to ground only for it to be taken away by the Eagles.
Sidey, Varcoe and Broomy are the three that I would consider our most natural crumbers. Sidey spends his time in the midfield, Varcoe is a year by year proposition and Broomy is coming off a broken leg.

Do Langdon for Pick 5 in a Heartbeat but he worth nothing close to that

Do we? Or is it a lesser amount if he retires on his own accord? Like Hawks and Rioli. I don’t Actually know but would be happy to listen if you can explain how it works.

All his contracted amount will be included in our cap whether he retires or not. (Unless the Afl of course makes some kind of exception.)

One of the downsides of bringing in players through free agency (unfortunately for us) and makes it different to other player contracts.

It does make sense though. If it didn’t work that way it would create massive exploitation and deceit in the free agency system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back