List Mgmt. Trade & F.A. 2017 (if a scenario sounds wrong - read on before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We still have 6 right?

Just because money is your number 1 priority doesn’t make it everyone’s. Yes money is an important factor, but I have taken less money for better jobs.

These players get paid plenty, they can sacrifice some coin for job satisfaction and still set themselves up well for post football.

Sure sometimes the carrot is just too big to turn down, but sometimes players will take less for job satisfaction reasons.

Not much less..

The fact that in a 4 year window we had pick 6,10,5,9,7,7 and drafted one tall was a mistake.
Yeah, but looking at the hypothetical vs. The reality always gives you a clearer path than there actually was.

In 2013, we drafted Scharenberg and Freeman at 6 & 10. Scharenberg *is* a utility and not a midfielder, while Freeman hypothetically addressed a need for pace then got ruined by injury. The next tall that went in the draft was Cam McCarthy, but he likely would have gotten homesick and left us too, and there were no other realistic value propositions at pick 6 or 10.

In 2014, you're right that there were talls available when we picked De Goey at #5, but I would imagine that Marchbank wouldn't have been on the whiteboard. Peter Wright would have been the pick if we could redo it, but I think at the time he was considered potentially more ruck than forward at AFL level by most, and a similar-ish prospect to Darcy Moore who we were getting at #9. A mistake, perhaps, but not a horrendous one in that at least De Goey looks like developing into a starting midfielder for us

The next two picks we traded for Treloar. You can criticise this if you want, but Adam Treloar is a complete gun and he's still only 24.

- Watts for Pick 36
- Picks 12 + 18 for Pick 6
- Pick 18 for Tomlinson
- Draft best KPP at Pick 12

I'd be very happy if this is how our trade and drafting went

This would be awesome.

Can someone give me a reason why Brisbane would want to swap 12 and 18 for 6?

In this draft, there is little difference between 6 and 12 (talent wise, not points).

This would be awesome.

Can someone give me a reason why Brisbane would want to swap 12 and 18 for 6?

In this draft, there is little difference between 6 and 12 (talent wise, not points).

The reason would come down to where Brisbane thinks it can get Ballenden. If they think they will have to use 12 i.e. Someone bids before 12 then they would do the deal as they would get 6 and use a later pick for Ballenden. Otherwise they get Ballenden and 18.

Think that's right anyway

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A real ringing endorsement. Axed from lowly Fremantle (who are more desperate for forwards than we are), so of course he would be a good pick up.

I don't think Freo have axed him. Pretty sure I read somewhere he has a contract offered to him.

What we do this trade week I think gives us an insight into how or where we play Cox.

If we go for a Schache then Cox is a second ruck. If we go for Taberner we are hedging our bets a little bit. If we do nothing we obviously are backing Cox and Grundy in to play some decent time forward.

Herald Sun today going with us wanting KP players in trade period (due to our previous interest in Lever and Stringer) but think we will be relatively quiet due to limited trade currency and the still available KP players.

Might be why we are skirting around the Crameri’s, Close’s and Taberner’s of the world. About all we might be able to land this off season on the cheap.
02388157641f8e91fc5d1924cce99bb6.jpg

Yeah, but looking at the hypothetical vs. The reality always gives you a clearer path than there actually was.

In 2013, we drafted Scharenberg and Freeman at 6 & 10. Scharenberg *is* a utility and not a midfielder, while Freeman hypothetically addressed a need for pace then got ruined by injury. The next tall that went in the draft was Cam McCarthy, but he likely would have gotten homesick and left us too, and there were no other realistic value propositions at pick 6 or 10.

In 2014, you're right that there were talls available when we picked De Goey at #5, but I would imagine that Marchbank wouldn't have been on the whiteboard. Peter Wright would have been the pick if we could redo it, but I think at the time he was considered potentially more ruck than forward at AFL level by most, and a similar-ish prospect to Darcy Moore who we were getting at #9. A mistake, perhaps, but not a horrendous one in that at least De Goey looks like developing into a starting midfielder for us

The next two picks we traded for Treloar. You can criticise this if you want, but Adam Treloar is a complete gun and he's still only 24.
Really good summation.

For any pick we use, or trade on, what would have been the alternative of that time?

De Goey v Wright? I'd still take De Goey, even today. He is the most likely of the two to become elite. That simple.

Marchbank would be way behind those two if I was picking.

But De Goey has the potential to be special for us. Considering we were getting Moore, well it's a no brainer. At the time.

Our second greatest draft "tragedy" was the two picks of injury, Scharenberg and Freeman.
Imagine, just imagine we'd have got Bontempelli and Scharenberg.
Or if those nasty Bulldogs had taken the Bont, we'd have picked Scharenberg and Cripps?

But in likelihood we'd have taken Aish as our next pick had Brisbane not snared him.

But as always it is what it is.

The greatest draft "tragedy" was the (at the time) absolute everyone's first pick being Josh Fraser.
If only Josh wasn't as well regarded and we'd have taken Pavlich. Oh, what would have been?
Or if Nick Riewoldt was the year of our first pick and we got him and not Josh Fraser.

Oh well, it is what it is

Herald Sun today going with us wanting KP players in trade period (due to our previous interest in Lever and Stringer) but think we will be relatively quiet due to limited trade currency and the still available KP players.

Might be why we are skirting around the Crameri’s, Close’s and Taberner’s of the world. About all we might be able to land this off season on the cheap.

These articles either online in the media or paper are as useful as a turd in a swimming pool, everyone is just guessing !

Interesting that they say Blair us out of contract where others have said he is not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back