List Mgmt. Trade & F/A - 2018/2019 - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need Langdon's speed to balance the midfield, hope it doesn't cost Sier or a Phillips, could live with Thomas and picks.

Collingwood interested in Ed Langdon? Brothers are very close and would love to play in the same side apparently. 5 Victorian clubs in total interested. News from foxfooty.

Not sure if this has been posted already.. I've learnt there's no use posting updates.. someone always gets in before me re.

Yep just read the previous posts. Agh I'll just leave it.

Just give us updates on your boots purchases

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Starting to realise with Moore, De Goey and Grundy coming out of contract in 2020, not sure how we are expected to give a payday to Phillips or Sier.

Don't think either will be at the club next year. Teams like North and St Kilda will offer Sier and Phillips $600'000+ which we simply don't have to spend...

Freo seems like the obvious fit for Tom.

Starting to realise with Moore, De Goey and Grundy coming out of contract in 2020, not sure how we are expected to give a payday to Phillips or Sier.

Don't think either will be at the club next year. Teams like North and St Kilda will offer Sier and Phillips $600'000+ which we simply don't have to spend...

Phillips has been in contract negotiations with us for some time, he's always been interested in staying.

Pace should be a focus for us on all lines.

Midfield especially though IMO, we've addressed it somewhat in the back half with IQ (Maynard, Crisp and Langdon are all deceptively quick) and forward line with Stevo - although like you say, it needs further attention, Atu addresses it but he is miles off being an AFL player.
We are very one paced through the middle though, even Treloar has lost a step since his injury. A quick winger is a big priority, Langdon would be a perfect fit.

Who was the last best 22 player we lost that we wanted to retain? Beams? And he only left because of his old man. Daisy maybe although you suspect the club didn't fight too hard for him.

We traditionally hold onto the players we want, even when we aren't going well on field. When we are flying though? We'll keep Phillips if we want him, no doubt in my mind. Will cost more in the 500k range though I'd say, especially if he has a year where he lands in third AA squad

Showing a few signs of the Travis Cloke decline. Lynch's great year he hit up to the wing and doubled back all day long, but has since become an immobile marking target rooted inside 50. Unless he gets back to long leading, I can't see him starring consistently again.

I wouldn't be writing Lynch off too early. I think his reduced run is due to coming off an interrupted preseason due to a knee injury rather than any real decline in ability. Think he'll be fine longer term. Given the relative years for the Pies and the Tigers, he's having the same scoreboard impact as JDG off about 1/2 the disposal numbers and a lot worse supply.

Need Langdon's speed to balance the midfield, hope it doesn't cost Sier or a Phillips, could live with Thomas and picks.

Isn't that why we recruited Stevo?

Thomas just signed for 3 years unless I'm mistaken so I doubt he'll be going anywhere.

For $400'000, maybe, the real test will be how interested he is when another club offers him $700'000...

If there's a club out there that is willing to offer that sort of money then we'll be well compensated in the trade. I'd be very surprised if we'd consider him at anything more than $400k. He might squeeze a tad more out if we're attempting to counter offers from other clubs but if it's the money that drives him and he wants out, I'd happily accept a late 1st - mid 2nd for him which is what you'd expect for a player worthy of that sort of salary.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't be writing Lynch off too early. I think his reduced run is due to coming off an interrupted preseason due to a knee injury rather than any real decline in ability. Think he'll be fine longer term. Given the relative years for the Pies and the Tigers, he's having the same scoreboard impact as JDG off about 1/2 the disposal numbers and a lot worse supply.

Certainly not writing him off. For a year he was just about the best player in the game, but that year was way above any other year he's played. The big issue is that was 3 years ago and he hasn't since looked physically capable of playing the style that had him starring. I think he'll be fine and a solid contributor, regardless of whether he regains the ability to hit up and double back all day long. He'll provide them with a good target inside 50. I just don't think he's capable of really dominating inside 50 as he's pretty much just a mark and kick player. My issue is that if rumours of his contract are close to the mark, fine and solid isn't going to come close to justifying the amount of salary cap pressure that he's going to put Richmond under.

Any team that offers Sier anything close to $600k at this point is batshit crazy. Yeah, the kids got elite potential, but that’s all it is at this point, and there’s no guarantee he’ll put it all together. If he manages to get it together for the second half of the year and break back in to the senior team then he’ll certainly be in line for a healthy pay increase, but those kinds of numbers are just lunacy at this stage, and any team offering him that would be completely irresponsible with their list management strategy.

Midfield especially though IMO, we've addressed it somewhat in the back half with IQ (Maynard, Crisp and Langdon are all deceptively quick) and forward line with Stevo - although like you say, it needs further attention, Atu addresses it but he is miles off being an AFL player.
We are very one paced through the middle though, even Treloar has lost a step since his injury. A quick winger is a big priority, Langdon would be a perfect fit.

I think a lot depends on projections for Stevo and Degoey. If we are projecting that they're predominately midfield bound sooner rather than later, then midfield pace concerns are gone and it's forwards rather than mids that we need to target.

P.S. I get Langdon deceiving people regarding pace, because he slows to a crawl with the ball in his hand, so you have to watch him without the footy to know that he flies. But anyone who is deceived by Crisp's pace needs a guide dog.

Any team that offers Sier anything close to $600k at this point is batshit crazy. Yeah, the kids got elite potential, but that’s all it is at this point, and there’s no guarantee he’ll put it all together. If he manages to get it together for the second half of the year and break back in to the senior team then he’ll certainly be in line for a healthy pay increase, but those kinds of numbers are just lunacy at this stage, and any team offering him that would be completely irresponsible with their list management strategy.
23 year old who averages 25 disposals a game in a Grand Final side - I think we will be surprised what teams will be willing to pay for him.

This time last year people were saying we couldn’t afford to keep Moore de Goey and Grundy!

If we have salary cap pressures because we are a very good team that bats very deep then I’m all for it. We will lose good players along the way, all the good teams do. But the really good players will want to stay with their mates and build some history together.

giphy.gif

Point being, get rid of Phillips!

23 year old who averages 25 disposals a game in a Grand Final side - I think we will be surprised what teams will be willing to pay for him.
You’re overestimating his worth based on form he’s been unable to replicate in the space of an off-season.

Point being, get rid of Phillips!

But even then if you're conceding that he has trade value, why would you trade him for someone you know nothing about. It's akin to walking into a shop and saying I've got no idea what a bloxid is I'll give you a thousand bucks for it.

For $400'000, maybe, the real test will be how interested he is when another club offers him $700'000...
I can't see any club offering him $700 grand, we would not match that offer and that sort of offer would require us to get a late first round or early second in return which would be enough to get us Ed Langdon, if it came down to a pick of the 2 then I would pick Langdon every day

If he'd hit 2019 showing improvement on his 2018 form and demonstrating that he'd improved deficiencies in spread and transition and endurance, then you might look at something around $350-400k if you were re-signing him now. But as a kid who has had issues and managed 12 games in 3 and a bit seasons, and hasn't shown he can even match his 2018 form YTD, he's not worth anywhere near that. His performances over the remaining season will dictate the sort of offers and interest he'll attract. I'm not sure he'll be going anywhere either way.

Isn't that why we recruited Stevo?

Thomas just signed for 3 years unless I'm mistaken so I doubt he'll be going anywhere.

We need more speed to balance out that midfield: Adams Pendles Sidey Beams Mayne Phillips Wills Sier, you wouldn't say any of them are quick, it'll take more than Stevo. As for who goes I don't care as long as it isn't anyone with a bit of toe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back