List Mgmt. Trade & F/A - 2018/2019 - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
But the Wells deal is questionable only in hindsight
Wells was and still is a class footballer, paying $450k a year for 3 years for class is IMV a really good deal
Now you can rightly say it hasn't turned out to be so good because of his injuries, but at the time you couldn't

I don't think it is just hindsight. I believe Bucks even said at the time if they could look at getting 15 games a year out of him. There was talk at the time that he had injury issues, hence North hard balled him on his contract.

Only my opinion, but I thought at the time that it was not going to end well. That will of course look like hindsight to some, but I would be surprised if there were not others who thought the same thing at that time.

I’m hard pressed seeing the AFLPA settling for incremental increases of 2% over the next decade with membership totaling over 1 million and the growth in the women’s game. Streaming (there’s no way Kayo is the only player when the rights next come up Amazon and Optus will circle) and mobile rights revenue will increase as will the size of the pie to players.

The current EBA sets the 2% per year but that was augmented by something like a 20% jump front loaded into TPP. The next EBA might not have as significant a jump as 20% but if the AFLPA are going to accept anything like 2% a year in the next EBA it'll probably be pretty close.

Gotta love the handwringing about Collingwood here, particularly from Caro.

First, "other clubs" view Grundy as gettable? Who besides the Crows are the serious competitors for Grundy? And now the Crows are "leading" the race for him?

Then she starts talking about Beams for the umpteenth time, but not before throwing her hands up and saying she doesn't want to talk about him. Players taking pay cuts is not a new thing, and multiple players were approached by the club last year about restructuring their contracts before Beams was even a blip on the radar and the big fish instead was Lynch. Pendles said himself on his podcast that players all felt like taking a cut for the good of the club while in a premiership window was the right thing to do.

The players didn't take a cut specifically to bring Beams in, but even if they did it's clearly something they agreed to do (because they're not required to alter deals they have signed at all). Not to mention how Beams still had strong attachments with players at Collingwood anyway.

It just reeks of hypocrisy. I read an article last week which referenced list managers from other clubs strongly rating Ned Guy's work in restructuring our salary cap. Why are Collingwood suddenly going to face problems for having players willingly take a pay cut but her beloved Tigers won't have the same issues for doing so to fit Lynch in?

Don't watch that Garbage anymore.

4 people who Clueless. Lloyd and Judd only have Jobs because of there names

All Teams would want Grundy

I don't think it is just hindsight. I believe Bucks even said at the time if they could look at getting 15 games a year out of him. There was talk at the time that he had injury issues, hence North hard balled him on his contract.

Only my opinion, but I thought at the time that it was not going to end well. That will of course look like hindsight to some, but I would be surprised if there were not others who thought the same thing at that time.

Those injury concerns were specific to soft tissue injuries he'd had in preceding years. They haven't been an issue at Collingwood. Maybe his recovery from his recent impact injuries has saved him from them, maybe he was over them. We'll never know.

Surely we would be looking at Tomlinson?

Can play the backup ruck behind Grundy and offers a similar skillset to Grundy (in that his round the ground work is where he earns his $). Has played 20 games this year, 24 last year, and 24 the year before so he is clearly durable. We have a history of getting deals done with GWS too, I'd be shocked if we weren't right into him.

Ben Brown is out of contract at the end of next season, but hasn't really been mentioned as a potential acquisition? Same age as Cameron at 26, and I feel would come cheaper than Jez.

Also if we were ever trading with the Roo's I would also love to try and get LDU from under their noses, this kid will explode ala Patty Cripps at some point soon.

Kennedy-Harris worth a look from Melbourne?

Oakleigh Charger boy like De Goey and Darcy, looked like he clearly had something on the weekend and could be got for peanuts.

Ben Brown is out of contract at the end of next season, but hasn't really been mentioned as a potential acquisition? Same age as Cameron at 26, and I feel would come cheaper than Jez.

Also if we were ever trading with the Roo's I would also love to try and get LDU from under their noses, this kid will explode ala Patty Cripps at some point soon.
Davies-Uniacke is a deadset jet, the issue is with North is they are probably looking to build for the future and our young stocks aren't high. If he wants out send them Darcy for Tarrant and LDU.

Brown would demand huge coin, even if it was less than Cameron. Not to mention that he'd stop getting soft free kicks if he was with us.

I think you'd find we actually paid for and facilitated all that. He'd had multiple surgeries over the preceding years so it was the doubt over his durability rather than any lack of potential that saw him delisted.
Sounds like you are saying we didn't assess his recovery potential correctly. You'd hope that wasn't the case. He's a very average player. I think an assessment that he had a low ceiling would've factored much more heavily into the decision, along with his shoulder issues at the time.

Surely we would be looking at Tomlinson?

Can play the backup ruck behind Grundy and offers a similar skillset to Grundy (in that his round the ground work is where he earns his $). Has played 20 games this year, 24 last year, and 24 the year before so he is clearly durable. We have a history of getting deals done with GWS too, I'd be shocked if we weren't right into him.
Or even another player who plays very close to Tomlinson?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like you are saying we didn't assess his recovery potential correctly. You'd hope that wasn't the case. He's a very average player. I think an assessment that he had a low ceiling would've factored much more heavily into the decision, along with his shoulder issues at the time.

No, I'm not saying that at all. Was always a very speculative pick coming to the club via the NSW scholarship program. Had a couple of years at the Pies derailed by shoulder reco's. By his own admission, he didn't work hard enough at the Pies so there's not really a case to make about poor list management.

No, I'm not saying that at all. Was always a very speculative pick coming to the club via the NSW scholarship program. Had a couple of years at the Pies derailed by shoulder reco's. By his own admission, he didn't work hard enough at the Pies so there's not really a case to make about poor list management.

I wasn't making a case that it was poor list management. Just disputing that he was delisted due to his shoulders. If that was the case then you have to ask questions about our medicos. Bottom line was ... if we thought he had the talent and potential of Darcy Moore we would have had no problem keeping him on the list with his shoulder issues.

Start dangling WHE out there, might still have a bit of currency, he was a top 5 draft pick afterall! Essendon love pea hearts, maybe they'll give us their first rounder
Who does our supporters constantly treat our players like garbage, he had next to no pre season he isn't going to be what others are, dont underestimate what a pre season can do all your doing all year is playing catch up. So sick of seeing supporters abuse players cause they're having a quiet season.

No team manages their list better than Geelong does. Not surprised at all they they continue to be linked to gun players who would similarly be on humble contracts like most of their list. They know that no player is bigger than the club and that's why they're a contender every year.

Who does our supporters constantly treat our players like garbage, he had next to no pre season he isn't going to be what others are, dont underestimate what a pre season can do all your doing all year is playing catch up. So sick of seeing supporters abuse players cause they're having a quiet season.

Dunno if pre-season helps you not be afraid of your own shadow. Bloke is an absolute pea-heart.

Footy forum too champ, not a fan club. You and Will could both doing with a bit of toughening up.

He had 1 clearance yesterday? I’m not disagreeing that he’s played a role because we’ve been one big body inside short all year. My differing view is more the label of fantastic.

He wasn’t critical. Treloar, yes. Grundy, yes. Steele, yes. Pendles, yes. I agree we need grunt and presence inside Wills has just not been as good as Quicky’s observation.
Sco we get your reservations on Wills and I for one understand them but for the short term he is what we have.

It's up to the coaching staff to get their heads together and design a role for him as a pure inside grunt tackling machine - Tay can get the ball out decent most times but it may require a little more involvement from the outside mids to achieve the needed balance.

Dunno if pre-season helps you not be afraid of your own shadow. Bloke is an absolute pea-heart.

Footy forum too champ, not a fan club. You and Will could both doing with a bit of toughening up.

Were you making comments like this in 2018 when he had the pre-season under his belt, was playing great footy and still scared of his own shadow? If not they carry little weight now. The club rightfully won’t dangle him as trade bait.

You do flog the dead horse on this one Gaben. I think it is ridiculous for any AFL player to be called a pea heart in this day and age. The speed at which they move and how hard they hit each other? The beauty of being an "outside player" is that you aren't meant to get inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back