Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 17, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
This is part 3 of the thread.
Part 2 can be found here...
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/trade-f-a-2018-2019-part-2.1205968/

I like Greenwood's tenacity but I think Mayne has proven this year he is a lot more versatile in doing what's asked of him. Any chance of testing Mayne out as a tagger next year?
Mayne is as slow AAF.
No chance.
He’s a week by week proposition. He knows it.
Good on him, he revived a dead career that was about to start decomposing.

Apr 17, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Fit or not, I doubt you'll see Daniel Wells in this side again for anything other than a game here or there...
My wish is that he agrees to be bought out for a fraction of his final year’s payment and we open up a spot on the list.
The epitome of “list clogger”.
Will go down as our worst recruit ever.
#welldoneGubby

Good call on Pendles’ health throughout the finals. I’m amazed at how many seem to be so quick to write off a champion as “past it”, “slowing down” etc.
Pendles is still a gun, but if you don't think he's slowing down you're not watching or don't remember how good his peak was,

Tbone McGraw

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 9, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Pendles is still a gun, but if you don't think he's slowing down you're not watching or don't remember how good his peak was,
So are you saying we need Beams?

Pendles has at least 3 good years in him.

AusMC

Debutant
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades

There's a difference between slowing down and doing what a good captain should do in playing the team game. That's been a major reason for our recent success; a team-first approach across the 22.
Pendles playing a wing or a flank is not so unlikely, his precise movement is an absolute weapon.

**On a side note, if we give up two firsts for a 29yo Beams without getting anything else back I'll f*n spew!

Tbone McGraw

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 9, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
There's a difference between slowing down and doing what a good captain should do in playing the team game. That's been a major reason for our recent success; a team-first approach across the 22.
Pendles playing a wing or a flank is not so unlikely, his precise movement is an absolute weapon.

**On a side note, if we give up two firsts for a 29yo Beams without getting anything else back I'll f*n spew!
We may give up 2 firsts but we will get picks back.

As you said, bringing in Beams helps Pendles.

So are you saying we need Beams?

Pendles has at least 3 good years in him.
No I'm saying for a 5-7 year period Pendles was one of the best 5 players in the league, but he's no longer in that upper echolon. Still a bloody good player, but he's slowing down. I'd love us to get Beams back, but that's a separate thing.

Would have been a good year to win the premiership. We could have eased out Greenwood, Varcoe & Goldsack (maybe) as premiership players.
Varcoe is still going strong and I love the other two. No easing out is necessary just yet. Goldsack could be eased out of the 22, but not the list - I hope.

Aug 31, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Varcoe is still going strong and I love the other two. No easing out is necessary just yet. Goldsack could be eased out of the 22, but not the list - I hope.

I understand everything you’re saying. I’m just saying we could have.

I think the end of 2019, none of these players should be in our best 22. No disrespect.

Would have been a good year to win the premiership. We could have eased out Greenwood, Varcoe & Goldsack (maybe) as premiership players.

Have you come across a bad year to win the premiership? :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pies get Beams i would like to see Collingwood trial Pendles down back as a defender who can set up play.

Would be a big sacrifice but having Maynard Crisp and Pendles ball use out of defence would be brilliant.

Like Hodge he should also do all the kick outs.

BPikkers

Cancelled
Oct 14, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
My wish is that he agrees to be bought out for a fraction of his final year’s payment and we open up a spot on the list.
#welldoneGubby

We have had a lot of ‘worst recruits ever’.
I suppose he can just join the list.

No doubt a fit Wells is great to watch.

partypie

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 26, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Green Bay Packers
Has crossed my mind as the logical move for him to extend his career. However with the the new 6-6-6 rules for next year; I have concerns about trying to hide midfielders in other positions (especially defence).

Dees looked vulnerable with both Vince and Lewis in their defence to the point where they had to drop Vince. Lewis still looked pretty cooked hiding in the backline and fear Pendles may get exposed with his lack of speed or pace.

We tried that for a few games and Pendles turned out to be a horrible man-on-man defender - doesn't have the burst speed or agility to keep up with any half decent opposition small-to-medium forward and if we tried it this year opposition coaches would just put pressure on him by sending his opponent deeper forward.

I think I'd rather see him play as a high half forward if he's not in the midfield, but we've already got a number of players who will be jostling for those roles on the HFF's as well.

Last edited:

partypie

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 26, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Green Bay Packers
Bo Nixon, Billy Morrison, Kennedy, etc...

I don't think that will be a problem this year somehow - top 20-25 all look good with the top 7-8 obviously looking like they are a cut above, but the next tier looks very solid and deep / even as well.

There'll be some very good players still there at 18 - probably top 10-level talent in most years.

Mar 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
The skipper might even head back to the wing like his Under 18 glory days. Wouldn't write him off yet as an inside mid, his September was severely impacted by his illness during the bye round. Never seemed to be running on top of the ground after that.

I reckon the wing is the place for him from now on.

Babylove

Premiership Player
May 3, 2003
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
I don't think that will be a problem this year somehow - top 20-25 all look good with the top 7-8 obviously looking like they are a cut above, but the next tier looks very solid and deep / even as well.

There'll be some very good players still there at 18 - probably top 10-level talent in most years.
By the sounds of it if we hold onto pick 18 there is a high chance we’ll need to use it on Quaynor.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
By the sounds of it if we hold onto pick 18 there is a high chance we’ll need to use it on Quaynor.
Or we use points to capture Quaynor at his bid.

So the theory goes take say Beams with 18 and use points anyway to take Quaynor and Kelly.
So you effectively get the lot with an extra Beams thrown in.

That is the theory.

SpongePie

Premium Platinum
Feb 14, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
#welldoneGubby

If only. Unfortunately it would take a miracle for someone to say, "nah don't want those hundreds of thousands of dollars".

I hope we get a few games out of him though, but am not confident.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back