List Mgmt. Trade & F/A - 2018/2019 - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Wills was ahead of Sier at one stage there and might have even played ahead of Sier if he hadn’t been part of the hamstring injury brigade.

Dunno if we can have two big bodied midfielders operating in tandem?
Be interesting to see the bear and bull in together.

Injuries have real hamstrung Wills (pun intended).

Yes he was ahead of Sier but even if Wills was going at full bore suspect Sier was going to over take him anyway. Sier seems to have the better more visionary game.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think they decided he was not going to be able to develop the aerobic capacity required.
That’s likely the exact reason.
Shame as great guy.
Sometimes it’s nice when the good guys win.

Tbone McGraw

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 9, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
It gets really interesting next year
The age profile of our list will change markedly with the retirements of players like Wells, Goldsack, Reid, Dunn? etc
Because our list is so young, I suspect we will target players coming out of contract and only take the minimum in the draft.....just a theory
Maybe we are targeting a big name free agent. I don't know who is is necessarily on the free agent list but it would be likely than trading for a big name with our draft situation.

I wouldn’t have Phillips in that list.

I know he’s not everybody’s cup of tea ...

... but a 22yo who played all 26 games this season is obviously rated by the club.

Surely there’d be players you’d think would leave ahead of him (Crocker, Wills, ...?). And surely we won’t hang onto all of Dunn, Goldsack, Reid, Wells, Elliott, ...?

Even those who don’t rate Philips would surely have around 8 to 10 list changes before him? And even those who don’t rate Philips would rate him ahead of a draft pick in the 70’s, or some ‘hail mary’ Cat B who best case scenario takes years to develop?

Tbone McGraw

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 9, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood

... but a 22yo who played all 26 games this season is obviously rated by the club.

Surely there’d be players you’d think would leave ahead of him (Crocker, ...?). And surely we won’t hang onto all of Dunn, Goldsack, Reid, Mayne, Wells, Elliott, ...?

Even those who don’t rate Philips would surely have around 8 to 10 list changes before him? And even those who don’t rate Philips would rate him ahead of a draft pick in the 70’s, or some ‘hail mary’ Cat B who best case scenario takes years to develop?
While I am not the biggest Phillips fan, you are spot on. I do like him a lot, but think he can improve in a few areas.

However, I believe he will only improve as well.

He will almost definitely get another contract, unless his form completely drops off the cliff.

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus

Surely there’d be players you’d think would leave ahead of him (Crocker, Wills, ...?). And surely we won’t hang onto all of Dunn, Goldsack, Reid, Wells, Elliott, ...?

I’d prefer to keep him but like Langdon at the end of last season I wouldn’t lose sleep if it went the other.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood

You’ve summarised it well.

Phillips is an elite runner.
He also is a very good player.
He is seen internally (I’m sure) as obvious best 22.

Looks to have a 200 plus game career for us, and that’s a good indication of where’s he viewed.

partypie

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 26, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Green Bay Packers
Noah Anderson from the Oakleigh Chargers, does anybody know if he will be a Collingwood academy pick next year? Kid looks really good.

I think we should find a way to establish "multi-cultural" parentage for Matt Rowell which would allow us to nominate him as an NGA recruit next year.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
I think we should find a way to establish "multi-cultural" parentage for Matt Rowell which would allow us to nominate him as an NGA recruit next year.

A nice dream! When his old man is an ex league footballer I don't think it's gonna happen unfortunately.

Wills was ahead of Sier at one stage there and might have even played ahead of Sier if he hadn’t been part of the hamstring injury brigade.

Dunno if we can have two big bodied midfielders operating in tandem?
Sier is so far ahead of Wills now it’s not even funny. 1 has proven himself as a decent role player at senior level, but slow with suspect kicking. The other has shown he can become a game breaker, has elite vision and handballing on the inside, and has a genuine turn of speed. All that with an underdone tank.

I don’t think it’s a question of whether they could play together, because they could, but there’s just no way Wills breaks in to the midfield now. There’s too many ahead of him with the emergence of Sier and the return of Beams.

Sier is so far ahead of Wills now it’s not even funny. 1 has proven himself as a decent role player at senior level, but slow with suspect kicking. The other has shown he can become a game breaker, has elite vision and handballing on the inside, and has a genuine turn of speed. All that with an underdone tank.

I don’t think it’s a question of whether they could play together, because they could, but there’s just no way Wills breaks in to the midfield now. There’s too many ahead of him with the emergence of Sier and the return of Beams.

At this Moment the most likely outcome for Wills at Seasons end is De-Listed or Traded out

At this Moment the most likely outcome for Wills at Seasons end is De-Listed or Traded out
He’ll be delisted. Can barely get on the park. No club is going to recruit a fringe type who’s in the medical room more often than not.

Shaneprice97

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 24, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL

I’m almost as confident at Sier becoming elite as i was with Brodie Grundy.

Siers strengths are undeniable, almost reminds me alittle of Chris Judd, if he starts using that elite pace to breakaway from the packs. People compare Sier to Josh Kennedy, which is a decent comparison, but once Sier starts using that pace the comparisons will shift elsewhere!

cakewalk06

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’m almost as confident at Sier becoming elite as i was with Brodie Grundy.

Siers strengths are undeniable, almost reminds me alittle of Chris Judd, if he starts using that elite pace to breakaway from the packs. People compare Sier to Josh Kennedy, which is a decent comparison, but once Sier starts using that pace the comparisons will shift elsewhere!

Love the Bear and think he will be a star but have not seen any Judd-like breakaway pace. Hope you are right. I see him in the Mitchell, Kennedy style of ball winner, with great vision and hands. Can see him as a regular goal kicker too. Just strikes me as,a real players' player. Ball magnet who,couwld finish high up
In a Brownlow down the track.

Shaneprice97

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 24, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
Love the Bear and think he will be a star but have not seen any Judd-like breakaway pace. Hope you are right. I see him in the Mitchell, Kennedy style of ball winner, with great vision and hands. Can see him as a regular goal kicker too. Just strikes me as,a real players' player. Ball magnet who,couwld finish high up
In a Brownlow down the track.
I think Sier has the quickest 20-30 metre sprint at the footy club? If not definitely top 5. Someone on here will be able to pull his numbers up.

Watch the run down tackle at 3:50, and that hint of breakaway speed at 13:48.

Might be wishful thinking on my behalf but i think Sier has a few more tricks that will start coming out the more confidence he gets. He can be a great footballer regardless if he starts bursting from the packs or not.

Shaneprice97

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 24, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
He even has that running style like judd, they don’t look like they are sprinting as they fly right past you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back