List Mgmt. Trade & F/A - 2018/2019 - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he'd hit 2019 showing improvement on his 2018 form and demonstrating that he'd improved deficiencies in spread and transition and endurance, then you might look at something around $350-400k if you were re-signing him now. But as a kid who has had issues and managed 12 games in 3 and a bit seasons, and hasn't shown he can even match his 2018 form YTD, he's not worth anywhere near that. His performances over the remaining season will dictate the sort of offers and interest he'll attract. I'm not sure he'll be going anywhere either way.

I've got no idea about salaries. But Sier is one who may be valued very differently by different clubs. What he showed last year projected to being elite around the clearances, but he didn't show anything in terms of spread. For us who base our game plan around swarm and spread, he's probably not as valuable as he would be for a team that focusses more on zones and always maintaining structure, because in that sort of structure you can thrive more easily if you're a bit one dimensional, whereas he only gives us one half of what we need - even if that half is above what others can give.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
We need more speed to balance out that midfield: Adams Pendles Sidey Beams Mayne Phillips Wills Sier, you wouldn't say any of them are quick, it'll take more than Stevo. As for who goes I don't care as long as it isn't anyone with a bit of toe.

Sier is actually very quick. It's his work rate and running patterns that are the issue.

Thatsmyname

Plausible deniability
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
No 3peat (Ninth)mond Minnows
Sier is actually very quick. It's his work rate and running patterns that are the issue.
I dunno what's going on there with him, injured? fitness? off field? but if Langdon is available you'd do a lot to get him given the demographic of our midfield.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I've got no idea about salaries. But Sier is one who may be valued very differently by different clubs. What he showed last year projected to being elite around the clearances, but he didn't show anything in terms of spread. For us who base our game plan around swarm and spread, he's probably not as valuable as he would be for a team that focusses more on zones and always maintaining structure, because in that sort of structure you can thrive more easily if you're a bit one dimensional, whereas he only gives us one half of what we need - even if that half is above what others can give.

If there's a club out there willing to offer him anything north of $350-400k and that interests him then good luck to him.

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I dunno what's going on there with him, injured? fitness? off field? but if Langdon is available you'd do a lot to get him given the demographic of our midfield.

I'm not convinced. Much like Tom Phillips, he has some elite traits but there are lots of flaws in his game. I'd prefer to see WHE and Stevo given the same level of freedom on the wings. I think they'd rack up similar numbers and have much greater impact more consistently. Certainly wouldn't be throwing huge $$$'s at him.

Last edited:

Thatsmyname

Plausible deniability
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
I'm not convinced. Much like Tom Phillips, he has some elite traits but there are lots of flaws in his game. I'd prefer to see WHE and Stevo given the same level of freedom on the wings. I think they'd rack up similar numbers and have much greater impact more consistently. Certainly wouldn't be throwing huge $$$'s at him.
Can't really compare WHE and Stevo to a guy averaging 28 disposals, if and when sure, but neither is the immediate injection of speed with those kind of numbers at the moment. WHE probably never because he's just not that type but Stevo is a massive chance to move upfield and have that kind of impact, just don't see it as soon as you do, Langers would give us the right mix with so many one paced mids.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
21 year old who averages 20 disposals a game in a Grand Final side - I think we will be surprised what teams will be willing to pay for him.

EFA.

His ceiling is $500k which includes the acquisition premium. If we’re only prepared to offer say $300k that’s when things will get interesting.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
As good as it has been to watch Maynes revival, I would be happy to re-allocate his salary, if we could obtain Ed Langdon. Mayne is on somewhere north of 450k so that goes a long way towards what would be needed.

As good as it has been to watch Maynes revival, I would be happy to re-allocate his salary, if we could obtain Ed Langdon. Mayne is on somewhere north of 450k so that goes a long way towards what would be needed.

Yep. Mayne next contract he will need to take a Pay Cut

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Can't really compare WHE and Stevo to a guy averaging 28 disposals, if and when sure, but neither is the immediate injection of speed with those kind of numbers at the moment. WHE probably never because he's just not that type but Stevo is a massive chance to move upfield and have that kind of impact, just don't see it as soon as you do, Langers would give us the right mix with so many one paced mids.

Nah. We already have Phillips as a NQR wingman with ordinary disposal without wasting prescious salary cap and trade value on another, just because he's quick. I'm happy to go with what we've got and look to the draft for development options.

May 12, 2014
FNQ
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sixers
What do CFC have to trade for a 23 year old footballer averaging 28 possessions and 102 Fantasy points a game? Not much in 2019...

Thatsmyname

Plausible deniability
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Nah. We already have Phillips as a NQR wingman with ordinary disposal without wasting prescious salary cap and trade value on another, just because he's quick. I'm happy to go with what we've got and look to the draft for development options.
Phillips isn't quick and Langdon's disposal is fine, the club would welcome him with open arms, it's a no brainer!

Thatsmyname

Plausible deniability
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
I'm hoping no one wants out and therefore we have nothing to trade.
If he wants to get to us (and being brothers gives you a smidge of hope) they'd find a way, too good a player to say no thanks to. And I wasn't suggesting getting rid of Flippa, he's not going anywhere!

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Phillips isn't quick and Langdon's disposal is fine, the club would welcome him with open arms, it's a no brainer!

Yep, if you ignore the 5.6 turnovers and 2.6 clangers a game average this year his disposal is nearly elite.

I'm not sure why there's always this fascination with grabbing NQR players from other clubs. Does he even want to leave Freo? What would we offer them as a trade?

Thatsmyname

Plausible deniability
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Yep, if you ignore the 5.6 turnovers and 2.6 clangers a game average this year his disposal is nearly elite.
I'm not sure why there's always this fascination with grabbing NQR players from other clubs. Does he even want to leave Freo? What would we offer them as a trade?

Pendlebury Sidebottom Treloar Beams Phillips all average more clangers than Ed, Treloar has almost twice as many, that's just the modern game when you are getting so much of it. You're NQR tag just doesn't sit with a player that's quick, tough, yet to enter his prime and on the way to averaging 30+ a week.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...d2=9&type=A&pid1=3791&pid2=4080&fid1=S&fid2=S

5 clubs are reported to be clamouring for him and we'd be the pick if he wanted a flag, the other 4 (Melb Stk WB North) are not really in the gun like we are, so I'd be quietly confident based on that even without the brotherly love connection.
But in the end it doesn't really matter what you and I think, if we are chasing him the club disagrees with your point of view and obviously has a way of getting him if he chooses us. If we aren't chasing him then they don't agree with me or can't do a deal.
Did I mention he's quick?

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
EFA.

His ceiling is $500k which includes the acquisition premium. If we’re only prepared to offer say $300k that’s when things will get interesting.

Sier is a gun, I reckon we will do what is needed to keep him. We are showing him some tough love this year to get the best out of him but I think everyone's knows he's a big part of our midfield future and if he had ticked all the right boxes over preseason and been healthy he would have been in our midfield this year despite all the big names in there. Sier has a big future ahead of him and I'll be severely disappointed if he goes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back