List Mgmt. Trade & F/A - 2018/2019 - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The interesting stuff was who our recruiters are looking at, why in **** we didn't get Finlayson last year I'll never know, it was a no brainer, you could see it a mile off he was good value

We been Linked for him for Years

I disagree. 76% is good for someone who has to take risks coming out of defence. And for someone who a majority of their disposals are kicks.

Takes risks? I would say most of his kicking is 50+ metre bombs to congestion. I’m going to step out of the conversation though and just reiterate it isn’t a “good” retention rate.

we just need to click again.

then so many concerns will dissipate with better football.

Trade HQ: The three ruckmen who could save Collingwood if Brodie Grundy heads to South Australia

In the worst-case scenario Brodie Grundy heads to South Australia, how would Collingwood cope? Brendon Goddard and Jay Clark assess the list calls which will make or break the Magpies’ flag hopes for years to come.

It is the fine line every premiership contender must walk.

How do you balance a list of 30-35 quality players when only 22 can line up each week?
And while their current form has Collingwood under the microscope, at full strength the Magpies have been balancing just that.

Throughout 2019 a host of youngsters, including Brayden Sier, Josh Daicos, Isaac Quaynor, Rupert Wills and Ben Crocker, have spent large parts of the year in the VFL.

Then there’s veterans like Tyson Goldsack, Travis Varcoe and Levi Greenwood who are on the fringes of selection each week.

While the players might be getting frustrated with the lack of opportunity, from a club perspective, keeping enough of these guys around is vital.

And the Magpies’ current struggles are a prime example of why. Two years in a row they’ve been hit by massive injuries but have remained constants in the top four.

Rival clubs will be monitoring these players too, especially the younger ones.
Everyone wants to recruit someone they think is ready to explode with more opportunity, like a Tom Mitchell or Toby Nankervis.

My message for the Magpies in a similar position is to think very carefully about your next move. The grass isn’t always greener.

Someone like Sier, who is out of contract at the end of the season, needs to decide if he is prepared to do the hard work and force his way deep into this Collingwood side — because I think he is good enough to.

The option to go elsewhere and get guaranteed games for struggling sides might sound appealing but there is absolutely no way to replace a winning culture or the feeling of playing in front of packed houses on the game’s biggest stages.

Looking ahead, the big list concern for the Magpies is at ruck, and making sure they lock Brodie Grundy in on a long-term deal.

Mason Cox can ruck in short bursts but if Grundy moves on, that will leave a gigantic hole the American won’t be able to fill.

THREE MAGPIES RIVAL RECRUITERS ARE WATCHING

Brayden Sier

He was Collingwood’s biggest breakout performer of 2018, but this season hasn’t gone to plan for Brayden Sier. Battling Dayne Beams for an on-ball spot and some early-season injury issues, Sier has played only four games this season and had nine touches on Friday night, after a concussion problem last week. Essendon and perhaps Carlton could perhaps offer more opportunity and more dollars, if he remains unsigned beyond this season.

Jordan De Goey
De Goey sacrificed a mountain of cash to stay at Collingwood last year when he knocked back North Melbourne’s $1 million-a-year-offer. He signed with the Pies out of loyalty, but he will deserve his full whack on his next deal when it expires at the end of next season. We all know the seven-figure offers will come again from different rivals and St Kilda desperately needs someone with his marketability, x-factor and goal scoring nous in the forward half.

Brodie Grundy
The superstar ruckman has made it clear he wants to stay at Collingwood, but the Magpies will get nervous if a blockbuster offer comes from Adelaide. From South Australia, Grundy is worth up to $1.5 million a year on the open market and clubs can get him for nothing as a free agent at the end of next season. He should command a six-year deal worth about $7 million if the Pies can afford to keep one of the top-five most influential players in the game.

THREE PLAYERS MAGPIES RECRUITERS ARE WATCHING

Reilly O’Brien

In the worst case scenario that Grundy leaves, Collingwood is going to need a new frontline ruckman. It could be a straight-swap with Adelaide big man Reilly O’Brien in the event Grundy makes the surprise call to head home to SA. North Melbourne ruckman Todd Goldstein and Carlton tall Matthew Kreuzer are also free agents and could do the job.

Stephen Hill
Daniel Wells is likely to retire at season’s end, opening up a spot on the flank and possibly some cash depending on how some other cards fall. The Collingwood midfield is already loaded but the Pies could do with another classy ball-user who can go quick from halfback. It’s a long shot but as a free agent, it will be worth the conversation.

Jeremy Finlayson
His stocks have gone through the roof, but another emerging tall who could play back or forward could help the Pies if Ben Reid moves on at season’s end. Finlayson has become a super-damaging forward this season on a cheap deal. He was up for grabs at the end of last season but there wasn’t much interest. He’s contracted to GWS until the end of next year.

RATE THE 2018 TRADE PERIOD

Jay Clark’s score: 7/10

What a find Jordan Roughead was for pick No. 75. The former Bulldog has played a key role at fullback, single-handily addressing Collingwood’s biggest weakness in exchange for a fourth-round pick. Not bad considering they also had their eye on Steven May who cost Melbourne pick No. 6. Roughead has not missed a game and could end up finishing top-12 in the Magpies’ best and fairest which is a huge tick for the list management team. Collingwood also gave up two first round picks for Dayne Beams who underwent hip surgery and is now taking time out for a mental health issue. But he was productive throughout the first half of the season averaging 25 disposals and 4.5 clearances. It wasn’t exactly the kind of impact Beams would have wanted to have but he was also trying to be more accountable as a midfielder and had a couple of run-with roles, including a job on Seb Ross against St Kilda. Importantly, the Magpies retained Tom Langdon, Darcy Moore and Jordan De Goey last season, in the face of some bigger offers from elsewhere. It will be a miracle if the Pies can keep everyone they want next time around. Alex Fasolo also left for Carlton as a free agent last year but he has struggled to shore-up a senior position.

WHY CHAMPION DATA LIKES THE MAGPIES

The Magpies best 22 is currently rated as the fourth-most talented in the competition, with 16 players rating elite or above average.

Not a great article... but Finlayson was mooted here late last year as a cheap developable KPP but the Bigfooty punters weren't keen.

Need to target the young 2nd to 3rd year players before they have break out years

Was going through our current list and looking through likely delistings at year end - by my count we have potentially quite a few

In no particular order
Broomhead (7 years on the list for 36 games - he's gone I think)
Wells (cooked)
Goldsack (might survive another year - a warrior)
Dunn (might survive but at 32 we need to make the call)
Varcoe (poor form and losing pace - is he done?)
Reid (see Wells - cooked. A great player 8-9 years ago when fully fit. Now his held together with blu-tack)
Crocker (might be traded for a 4th round pick)
Murray (sure we cannot keep him on the list any longer)

Thats 8 - some tough calls to be made.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was going through our current list and looking through likely delistings at year end - by my count we have potentially quite a few

In no particular order
Wells (cooked)
Reid (see Wells - cooked. A great player 8-9 years ago when fully fit. Now his held together with blu-tack)

Agree with all bar Crocker. Like to see him get a game.

I think the other side is we need to get some draft picks in and so I think the real hard question is who would you sacrifice in the best 22 to get a higher selection.

I think the other side is we need to get some draft picks in and so I think the real hard question is who would you sacrifice in the best 22 to get a higher selection.

Crocker might get a game in next few weeks as we don't have many Options for Forwards.

Crocker had a Terrible 1st Half in the VFL but last 2-3 Games he at least having some Impact

In no particular order
Wells (cooked)

If he recovers from this knee, I'd keep Dunn for another year as depth until young KPPs Kelly and Keane are a bit more developed

I'd keep Murray if he gets only 12 months (after time out from the game already)

Crocker gets 12 months more on the list as he may develop on a wing

Greenwood stays for depth as he is still fit and can plug a hole anywhere

Wells, Wills, Goldsack, Varcoe, Reid, Broomhead, Magden.. I'd move on.

Agreed snoop. This draft is looking pretty good and probably going to be stronger than 2020 so maybe we try and trade to get back into 19.

Some underrated talls this year along with some quick blokes.

If he recovers from this knee, I'd keep Dunn for another year as depth until young KPPs Kelly and Keane are a bit more developed

I'd keep Murray if he gets only 12 months (after time out from the game already)

Crocker gets 12 months more on the list as he may develop on a wing

Greenwood stays for depth as he is still fit and can plug a hole anywhere

Wells, Wills, Goldsack, Varcoe, Reid, Broomhead, Magden.. I'd move on.

Interesting - I hadn't really considered Greenwood in that same light - still feel he has something to offer. Magden as a rookie I haven't seen that much of him to offer an opinion.

On Murray, presumably this all comes down to his suspension - 2 years from when he first stepped down would make him available mid next year if I am right. But I suspect he will get 4 years? Will the club know the outcome before this years draft / trade period? He is still only young so there may be some hope if he gets 2 years.

Dunn I would let go. Been a good clubman but the clun will surely target a KPD in the trade period to bolster the depth and with the likes of Kelly to see some game time next year (hopefully) I dont see room for Dunn.

I would trade Crocker - has not been able to find a spot in our best 22 despite significant injuries.

On Murray, presumably this all comes down to his suspension - 2 years from when he first stepped down would make him available mid next year if I am right. But I suspect he will get 4 years? Will the club know the outcome before this years draft / trade period? He is still only young so there may be some hope if he gets 2 years.

I would trade Crocker - has not been able to find a spot in our best 22 despite significant injuries.

Who knows with Murray? It's the most ridiculous ongoing saga in football.. and it really surprises me that the media haven't jumped on it, critical of the lack of a resolution.

Crocker is unfortunately not worth anything on the trade table. And if there were outside interest, I doubt other clubs would be interested enough to give up a pick any earlier than a 5th-6th rounder.

Very few players at Collingwood that are on the trade table I'd say. Our best are near un-tradeable... and the rest because of age or ability are worth nothing or 3rd round picks at best in the case of say Josh Thomas.

The Vets have let us down for a range of reasons too: Wells Dunn Reid to injury, Goldy and Varcs hit the wall, Beamer doing it tough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back