List Mgmt. Trade & F/A - 2018/2019 - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

A player I really would love to get at the Pies is Lachie Whitfield. Beautiful user of the footy and a massive tank. Be great running of half back for us.

I know it’s a dream

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah, good player. I would find it weird if he played for us. It would be like calling out my own name. he and I share the same surname lol

If Grundy was insistent on leaving O'Brien is the 21st rated player in the league (Grundy 1) at the moment.

Grundy for O'Brien and ontrade their 1st pick, Thomas (QLD boy) and whatever else they need for Jack Martin and Lukosius. Wouldn't lose too much in the ruck and the other two fill our greatest needs.

Yes to Redman pace, size and skill he’s got “it”.

No to Greenwood he just doesn’t do enough to add another layer to our midfield group and at 28 I believe it’s a case of what you see is what you get.

Young’s a watch for me he’s a bit young (pardon the pun) so I reckon Bevo is holding him back whether it’s because he’s shielding him or he’s not up to it IDK so I’d like 12 months to decide, but would be on board if we went hard.

Lipinski is another I’d love in the soup! A bit like Redman he’s coming with a bullet because of his mix of traits.
I like what Greenwood can add for midfield/forward rotation. I think he’s a little underrated at the crows. Hawks are sniffing around him also.

Agree with Lipinski and I almost added him in because his last month has been excellent. But I would like to see what he does for the rest of the year.

A player I really would love to get at the Pies is Lachie Whitfield. Beautiful user of the footy and a massive tank. Be great running of half back for us.

I know it’s a dream

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

He would be perfect.
Half back/wing with Sidebottom on the other win.
Too hard to get though I would assume.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s not the gist of your point, but we paid one first rounder for Beams, IMO. We got the same player with junk picks that we were always going to get had we kept pick 18. I would have approached it differently if I worked in a list management capacity, but with the path we chose I can’t agree with the premise that two first round picks was the price. I have issues with that deal though primarily what appears a lack of due diligence and the cap resources it exhausted.
Of course we paid 2x 1st round picks! Regardless of whether we were going to have to use our 2018 first rounder on IQ, Beams cost us 2019 as well as 2018. We could have just given us 2018 and still keep 2019 or at worst offered our 2019 second rounder. Do you think Brisbane cared that we were most likely going to use 2018 on IQ anyway? The fact is we blinked once again and gave the Lions much more than we needed to. They are the one’s laughing and by the way they are performing, are quickly getting on par with us and will be in a better position to add more young talent to their list in 2019.

Elliott needs to go. Hopefully he will have some currency end of year. He is a QLD boy from memory. Maybe we can get something reasonable for him from GC.

Elliott needs to go. Hopefully he will have some currency end of year. He is a QLD boy from memory. Maybe we can get something reasonable for him from GC.
He is from country Victoria from memory.

A victorian club has made a godfather offer to Lukosios, both Billy and JT hail from therabouts, we'd need more than that though

Of course we paid 2x 1st round picks! Regardless of whether we were going to have to use our 2018 first rounder on IQ, Beams cost us 2019 as well as 2018. We could have just given us 2018 and still keep 2019 or at worst offered our 2019 second rounder. Do you think Brisbane cared that we were most likely going to use 2018 on IQ anyway? The fact is we blinked once again and gave the Lions much more than we needed to. They are the one’s laughing and by the way they are performing, are quickly getting on par with us and will be in a better position to add more young talent to their list in 2019.

I think that’s the point they knew and we knew they knew that we weren’t using it on any other player. What I consider in this is the opportunity cost of the trade and in that regard we sacrificed an opportunity to select in the first round of both drafts. Despite that we still brought in the exact same player we would have taken had we retained our 2018 1st.

I’m not attempting to convince you, or anyone for that matter, of the merits of the trade, but rather that it wasn’t a deal to be hand wringing over because of the draft pick cost. I could identify at least half a dozen worse trades we’ve executed over the past 5 years.

FWIW I’m sure Brisbane aren’t as wrapped with the outcome as you believe them to be and would prefer their two time B&F winning former captain paired with Neale, Zorko, McLuggage and Berry over the two speculative kids they’ll take with their picks. Given they’re top 4 now I know which I prefer!

I think that’s the point they knew and we knew they knew that we weren’t using it on any other player. What I consider in this is the opportunity cost of the trade and in that regard we sacrificed an opportunity to select in the first round of both drafts. Despite that we still brought in the exact same player we would have taken had we retained our 2018 1st.

I’m not attempting to convince you, or anyone for that matter, of the merits of the trade, but rather that it wasn’t a deal to be hand wringing over because of the draft pick cost. I could identify at least half a dozen worse trades we’ve executed over the past 5 years.

FWIW I’m sure Brisbane aren’t as wrapped with the outcome as you believe them to be and would prefer their two time B&F winning former captain paired with Neale, Zorko, McLuggage and Berry over the two speculative kids they’ll take with their picks. Given they’re top 4 now I know which I prefer!
I think you’re missing my point. My view is that we could have picked up Beams with the first in the 2018 draft and kept our 1st in the 2019. Beams wasn’t going to any other club. He has had injury issues and publically spoke about his mental health state where he missed games. He was 28 years of age. The Lions would have been supportive of trying to help him out. Giving away 1st round picks catches up to you over the years. You need to keep bringing in fresh new talent each year.

I think you’re missing my point. My view is that we could have picked up Beams with the first in the 2018 draft and kept our 1st in the 2019. Beams wasn’t going to any other club. He has had injury issues and publically spoke about his mental health state where he missed games. He was 28 years of age. The Lions would have been supportive of trying to help him out. Giving away 1st round picks catches up to you over the years. You need to keep bringing in fresh new talent each year.

Nah I’m not missing your point it’s just plainly wrong, IMO, so I’m choosing to not discuss it. The Lions were never letting him go that cheaply because he was contracted for a further two years and the way they structured his contract (paying him the lions share in the first years). Their way of helping him out was agreeing to trade him, on their terms. As far as I’m concerned we’re done because we aren’t going to find middle ground...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back