List Mgmt. Trade & F/A - 2018/2019 - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard he was terrible in the VFL at the weekend.

Unfortunately Murphy was looking like the biggest improved over the off season and pre-season. I remember posters and coaching staff very excited for his year. I vaguely even remember posters locking him into the best 22 for round 1, he just seems like he hasn't been able to get any consistency this year because of injury. Hopefully can have a massive pre-season again next year and avoid injury. He always struck me as a replacement of the Shaz, Howe type, that medium back, somewhere between Roughy and IQ.

Unfortunately Murphy was looking like the biggest improved over the off season and pre-season. I remember posters and coaching staff very excited for his year. I vaguely even remember posters locking him into the best 22 for round 1, he just seems like he hasn't been able to get any consistency this year because of injury. Hopefully can have a massive pre-season again next year and avoid injury. He always struck me as a replacement of the Shaz, Howe type, that medium back, somewhere between Roughy and IQ.
I don’t think getting consistency is possible from playing 1 game + 6 minutes of football in a season...

Had a couple of years at Coburg post departure from the Pies before he was picked up by Essendon. Who knows if he'd have gotten a 2nd chance at all if not for the drugs saga at the Bumbers. He's managed something like 1/2 a dozen games in the 2 seasons since they've regained their banned players, obviously very much a fringe depth player, so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

I always liked him. He was always happy to have a chat when you'd run into him at the VFL games. But I had no issue with him being delisted. Thought he showed a bit of development/improvement on his return game this year against the Crows but I'm still not too sure I'd be chasing him for anything other than depth at this stage.

Do we need to be adding depth players to the list? He'll be 27 next season, how much more improvement is there in him?
We seem to have our wires crossed. I am saying he was primarily delisted because he was not good enough... the shoulder issues stamped his papers early. Nothing he has done since makes me want to recruit him back to the club. We should never recruit for depth. Recruit for talent and best 22 impact. Ccover your depth by getting experience into your young draft talent.

I've done my homework, would you like me to include the chronically injured too?:
Forwards - Mihocek, Cox, Reid (Broken), Goldsack (Broken)
Defenders - Moore (borderline Broken), Roughead, Dunn (32 years old coming off 2 ACL's in 12 months), Madgen (26 years old, has played 6 games and has had 9 marks and 6 goals kicked on him twice, barely a tall).

Just thought I'd confirm, are we suggesting we include 30-year-olds coming off multiple injuries or are we actually going to discuss genuine KKP stocks going forward?
See, now there is the change in direction I predicted earlier....well done, you got there

I've done my homework, would you like me to include the chronically injured too?:
Forwards - Mihocek, Cox, Reid (Broken), Goldsack (Broken)
Defenders - Moore (borderline Broken), Roughead, Dunn (32 years old coming off 2 ACL's in 12 months), Madgen (26 years old, has played 6 games and has had 9 marks and 6 goals kicked on him twice, barely a tall).

Just thought I'd confirm, are we suggesting we include 30-year-olds coming off multiple injuries or are we actually going to discuss genuine KKP stocks going forward?
So... just here to confirm what you said stated earlier was in fact bullshit?

Because you literally just said we only have 2 KPD and 2 KPF on our list.

Im reading a total of 8 KPP players pointed out there. With some capable others not being mentioned - Howe, Murphy.

Also, we drafted Kelly.

Cheers. Try again next time

There's 5 at most, you can't count kids, undersized rookies or 3rd talls

Dunn Roughead Reid Moore Cox

It hasn't been well planned by any stretch of the imagination

Last edited:
It wasn’t great was it, but Kapp’s right. Hartley doesn’t improve us and just adds to depth. We don’t recruit for depth in our talls so I don’t see it.

Except last year we took Roughead as cheap KPP depth. Imagine where we'd be in 2019 without him at fullback...

The argument for handing over a junk pick and a two year deal for KPD depth is that in 2020 we are still in our window.

Relying on two 19 year old kids to rapidly develop, or relying on Magden, or relying on Moore's body to hold up throughout 2020 is a big risk to take. Especially when the solution to a lack of ready KPP depth is fairly cheap.

Except last year we took Roughead as cheap KPP depth. Imagine where we'd be in 2019 without him at fullback...

The argument for handing over a junk pick and a two year deal for KPD depth is that in 2020 we are still in our window.

Relying on two 19 year old kids to rapidly develop, or relying on Magden, or relying on Moore's body to hold up throughout 2020 is a big risk to take. Especially when the solution to a lack of ready KPP depth is fairly cheap.

Why did you go to the trouble of quoting me if you were going to remove the context I provided? Of course we wouldn’t be relying on guys like Madgen, Murphy, Kelly or Keane if we pick up one of the guys I suggested we chase...

FWIW there’s a huge difference between a guy with 150 games and 10 years experience v a guy with 3 years and 40 games under his belt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why did you go to the trouble of quoting me if you were going to remove the context I provided? Of course we wouldn’t be relying on guys like Madgen, Murphy, Kelly or Keane if we pick up one of the guys I suggested we chase...

Murphy isn't a KPD and Magden is an honest trier but not AFL grade... probably not even be retained at years end. So that KPD depth is realistically only Kelly and Keane.

We aren't going to get one of those guys you mentioned without paying handsomely in terms of coin and contract length. And if the kids in Kelly and Keane are only 12-24 months off... why commit 3-4 years to lure a Hurley or a Tomlinson? There are cheaper less fashionable players who can fill a list gap for 2 years whilst others develop.

Crazy thinking and maybe more so given incoming age group if entertained/done but Broomhead and Aish for Betts and a late pick if need be?

Or is Betts almost beyond it?

If Gold Coast don't receive the old fashioned priority pick this season that will land them selection 1 and 2 it's safe to say we've seen the last of it in that form IMO.

Against the howls of protest I actually think the AFL will use the somewhat unique situation of this season to find enough reasons to justify the Suns a priority selection prior to round 1.

3 reasons why...

1. Gold Coast are a rabble. Nothing new being added to the argument here but their 3 victories in 2019 is 3 less than they achieved in 2016/17 and one less than last year. Hard to argue they aren't going backwards 4 seasons down the track and off such a low base to begin with improvement would have been anticipated in this period.

2. Perhaps the biggest reason why the AFL will consider allowing the Suns picks 1 and 2 is because of the team likely to fill 17th place in Melbourne.
Melbourne were good enough to play off in the Preliminary final last season and with the addition of May and return of Lever were expected to feature prominently in September again. That they haven't isn't a true refection on their list quality IMO and they don't represent a team in need of a rebuild or one in serious decline that you would normally associate with 2nd last.

3. This years draft is seen to have 2 standout talents in Rowell and Anderson above an otherwise even group at the top end. A flow on affect of the AFL potentially not viewing the Melbourne side as being your typical 17th placed team would be that they'd prefer to see a club in dire need like Gold Coast have first access to both players.

Personally I still rate the Melbourne list as top 8 calibre and for the purely selfish reasons of a Collingwood supporter would prefer they didn't get access to a Rowell or Anderson.

Saint perspective but some interesting info

742346_640x360_large_20190812180835.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back