Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man. U, Chicago Bulls, Ολυμπιακός
I’m a bit disappointed we’re not linked to any of the free agents and such at the moment.

Mainly because I feel at least 1 or 2 are players we really should be going for. Is it simply because we’re still deep into finals? Or are we really not looking into any of them?

ThePhantom777

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2014
Canberra
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’m a bit disappointed we’re not linked to any of the free agents and such at the moment.

Mainly because I feel at least 1 or 2 are players we really should be going for. Is it simply because we’re still deep into finals? Or are we really not looking into any of them?
Agree. We should be into Tomlinson, he's a versatile big.

And we should wave a 3 year contract in front of this man who kicked 43 goals this year in a putrid team: https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-adelaide-crows--taylor-walker

partypie

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 26, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Green Bay Packers
Shaun Burgoyne.

He would be an ideal replacement for Wells except without the injury concerns.

He’s the ideal Mr.FixIt

He would come cheap and be perfect to mentor our young players.

As if the AFL would let him come to Collingwood - they're too heavily invested in propping up their basket cases for that to happen...

Last edited:

partypie

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 26, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
And took all the money. GWS have salary cap squeeze.

They'll just shift numbers on existing contracts around a bit to make it fit, which players are generally happy to do if it means retaining gun team mates (and thus a bigger chance for on-field success).

Happens all the time at every club.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory

Which players would you like to see us target?

partypie

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 26, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Agree. We should be into Tomlinson, he's a versatile big.

And we should wave a 3 year contract in front of this man who kicked 43 goals this year in a putrid team: https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-adelaide-crows--taylor-walker

I would dead set walk out on the club if we even entertained bringing that flog in, irrespective of the fact that he also looks like he might be cooked both physically and above the shoulders (you just don't see a bloke like him with his track record shirk contests on a regular basis out of the ground unless there is something not right upstairs).

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Which players would you like to see us target?
;)

tenor.gif

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'd be cautious of injury prone players. Daniher has played only 12 games in 2 years.

I was just kidding Quicky............but Cox, Sier and a future 1st would probably get it done.

He will be going to Sydney anyway.

ExcitementMachine

Premiership Player
Aug 5, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
I just read a rumor that Hurley wants out of Essendon, should we have a look? I would be OK for cheap cause I think the guys close to cooked would not part ways with a first but would have jumped at the idea a few years ago. Others will bave a different view.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood

Would you like to name them or are you just interested in a free agent for the sake of getting a free agent? I can’t see any holes in our list except perhaps a backup key position player to replace Dunn/Goldsack.

We have picked up a number of free agents and we have traded away picks to get players in recent years.

Maybe going to the draft is a better option this season and topping up our youth that is a bit thin on the ground.

Last edited:
May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
I just read a rumor that Hurley wants out of Essendon, should we have a look? I would be OK for cheap cause I think the guys close to cooked would not part ways with a first but would have jumped at the idea a few years ago. Others will bave a different view.

No thanks, terribly overrated and not sure why you think he’d be cheap

ExcitementMachine

Premiership Player
Aug 5, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
No thanks, terribly overrated and not sure why you think he’d be cheap

I agree with you. Don't think he would be cheap however, if he wants out and all the other clubs are on our wavelength then he's not going to cost a first. I would be happy to pass, think he's about cooked but thought it's an interesting proposition all the same.

FWIW - Most wanted Hurley after his ban expired in 2017 - over those years we secured Dunne and Roughead who've provided as much as Hurley and they cost nothing, and on minimum chips re salary. Hurley would have cost us something like Jaydn Stephenson and he'd have been on about $700 to get him over.

Despite our lack of KPP credit where it's due - the aquisitions of Dunne/Roughead have worked much better for us then chasing the so called big ones.

Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Big no to Hurley, cheap stats and I question his desperation... a few times I have seen him let a goal through when he could have touched it. Bring in a cheap tall, Roughy and Dunn have worked for us and they don't come at a cost.

Well last year we heard nothing from Collingwood Really until the Friday of the 1 Week of Trade Period

Pragmatic Shill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
I don't want to stifle discussion but can we put a line through names such as Tomlinson, Langdon, Burgoyne, Bruce and (though I know it was tongue in cheek) Daniher?

Multiple media outlets confident enough to run with these players going to specific clubs that are not Collingwood. While it's not over until it's over, I don't think we're in much of a position to swoop in late and overtake other clubs on these specific names (particularly ones that require a trade for in-contract players).

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
As much as I like Keane as a solid prospect and think Atu has shown really good development this year... the list of names there is highly speculative.

Kelly and Wilson seem likely types but not in 2020. Tohill is so far back that I doubt he is ever AFL quality and after a few years on the list Lynch is no certainty to further develop or get a game in the ruck over Cox should Grundy go down

A chance none of those names force their way into the seniors in 2020

Equally, there's a chance all of them could have an impact in 2020.

I'm really excited to see what Wilson, Atu and Keane in particular will bring. I think Kelly's injury issues have derailed his 2019 and that may well delay his development. I think Lynch has improved year on year so won't discount what he might be able to do in 2020. Agree, Tohill is a long way back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back