Not open for further replies.

partypie

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 26, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Green Bay Packers
Looks like Goldy is staying at Arden St so Geelong will need to look elsewhere (Sauce?).

As an aside someone should get in Marshall's ear (or at least his agents ear) asking how much the Saints really rate him, given that they've been out trying to poach a gun #1 ruckman on a massive 3-4 year deal up until very recently.

Last edited:

partypie

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 26, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Taylor Walker? He kicked 43 goals this year. He would have kicked 60+ in our forward line.

Yep Taylor Walker. Kicked 19 of those 43 against the Saints (8 in two games), Suns (6 in two games) and Bulldogs (5 in round 23 - three of those in junk time in the second half after the Crows fell 10 goals behind). There's a common theme with those three teams, in terms of not really having much at the KPD spots.

I've watched a fair bit of the Crows this year and something seemed "wrong" with Walker - looked like a shell of his former self, nowhere near as assertive as he used to be and it was well noted that he had issues with decision making and even possibly pulling out of contests on a number of occasions as the season progressed.

The theory that "player A kicked X goals on a s**t team so that obviously means would have kicked X + N goals on our team (because we would obviously make a player N goals better)" is also a well worn fallacy.

Discounting form the bloke is also a flog and doesn't pass the character test for mine but to each their own on that front.

Last edited:

Aishole

Premiership Player
Oct 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Melbourne going after Jamie is a smart move, they need players like him. Seems like a long shot to me though, a shot they still need to take though.

i’d assume Elliott is some what indebted to us due to the sheer amount of time we have spent supporting him while he has been on the sidelines.

Also, most of the time players don’t just leave Collingwood for a “better offer” when we want to keep them. Its a good place to be.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Melbourne going after Jamie is a smart move, they need players like him. Seems like a long shot to me though, a shot they still need to take though.

i’d assume Elliott is some what indebted to us due to the sheer amount of time we have spent supporting him while he has been on the sidelines.

Also, most of the time players don’t just leave Collingwood for a “better offer” when we want to keep them. Its a good place to be.

I must be missing something with this sense of indebtedness? We supported Jamie through a trying period just as any employer would a valued employee. Let’s not kid ourselves though if he were as talented as Ben Crocker with the same injury profile he would no longer be on the bus. His manager sure as s**t will remind him of it too and they’re incentivised to convince him not to think that way.

Whether he stays or not will be fleshed out over the next 6 weeks and if we get the contract offer right I’m certain he’ll stick around. One things for sure it won’t be because Jamie feels indebted to the club for sticking by him!

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
We are good at retaining the ones we want at Collingwood. I think Jamie fits into that category quite comfortably. Obviously has to weigh up his future but he strikes me as the type of bloke who is loyal.

He has absolutely no reason to leave us mate.

partypie

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 26, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams

I can't see they get all of Tomlinson, Elliott and Langdon across the line - maybe we should start poking around to see if young Ed wants to play with his brother?

As an aside with the current off-field turmoil at Melbourne would anyone really be going out of their way to get there in 2020?

Aishole

Premiership Player
Oct 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I must be missing something with this sense of indebtedness? We supported Jamie through a trying period just as any employer would a valued employee. Let’s not kid ourselves though if he were as talented as Ben Crocker with the same injury profile he would no longer be on the bus. His manager sure as s**t will remind him of it too and they’re incentivised to convince him not to think that way.

Whether he stays or not will be fleshed out over the next 6 weeks and if we get the contract offer right I’m certain he’ll stick around. One things for sure it won’t be because Jamie feels indebted to the club for sticking by him!
I remember De Goey mentioning that he felt like he owed the club.

You don’t see how leaving a club for more money after they’ve just supported you through years and years of injury issues wouldn’t sit well with some people?

Would i blame him if he left for more money? No, it’d he a smart move for his future given his injury history. But, I can definitely see a player thinking ‘i can’t leave, i owe this club some good footy’. I don’t understand how you can’t see that? Certain personalities are like that. Yeah it is a business and his job at the end of the day, but there is an emotional component to it. The emotions involved in sports is 10x that of a normal workplace. Pro sports are no where near like a regular job, i don’t understand why people ever compare the two.

Looks like Goldy is staying at Arden St so Geelong will need to look elsewhere (Sauce?).

As an aside someone should get in Marshall's ear (or at least his agents ear) asking how much the Saints really rate him, given that they've been out trying to poach a gun #1 ruckman on a massive 3-4 year deal up until very recently.

Cats might be after Jacobs now

We are good at retaining the ones we want at Collingwood. I think Jamie fits into that category quite comfortably. Obviously has to weigh up his future but he strikes me as the type of bloke who is loyal.

Not be a Good Look IF he left Now

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
If Jamie joins Melbourne, he can look forward to:

- playing in front of 30k crowds at the MCG
- being coached by Simon Goodwin
- being fed the ball by elite users like Viney and Brayshaw
- not playing finals
- playing for a club run by Gary Pert
- playing for fair weather supporters who disappear when the going gets tough

(Log in to remove this ad.)

- not playing finals

Might be get a Long Term Contract with Big $$$$$$$

cliffdrabble

Cancelled
Sep 1, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood

- not playing finals
But they have a great offer- 3 Range Rovers, a chalet in MT.Bulla and all the snow skiing equipment to go with it.

cliffdrabble

Cancelled
Sep 1, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Keith, Tomlinson and even Butler I feel are 3 we should be looking at that either fill a need or add flexibility/depth to the side.

I understand we can’t get all 3, but I’d like to think we can get at least 1.

Tomlinson we’ve been after in the past. Of the 3 I listed I feel he should be the priority. True utility.
What is the obsession people have with Tomlinson. It is on not only our board, but others as well. He is an ordinary footballer that will not improve us one little bit. Has he ever played just 1 really good AFL game? If you look up 'ordinary footballer' in the dictionary, there is a photo of Tomlinson.

Nov 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thanks. If we fall agonisingly short again this year you can be rest assured it will be due to these positions. I guess I can take comfort in knowing Keane will address this problem at some stage hopefully we are still in the frame for premierships

110% agree with you about the lack of ready made KPP depth on our list.... I'm a broken record on this thread about that, and the plentiful supply of AFL ready made KPD and ruck-forward depth out there that can be gotten cheaply.

But Keane is a future full back for mine. I'm not saying he's got a big 100 game + future... but at this point of his development he is already better than many of his higher drafted peers, and older fullbacks in the VFL than what they were at the same age. Got a big 18 months of development ahead of him

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
What is the obsession people have with Tomlinson. It is on not only our board, but others as well. He is an ordinary footballer that will not improve us one little bit. Has he ever played just 1 really good AFL game? If you look up 'ordinary footballer' in the dictionary, there is a photo of Tomlinson.
He's shocking, I've been saying it for years. If we want a spud free agent defender from GWS, we should look at Buntine who I think is pretty solid.

Feb 8, 2007
Point Cook
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Spurs
Despite a bigger offer from Melbourne, l can't see Elliott leaving. You can see he loves playing for the Pies, and eventhough he doesn't owe the club anything, he would have felt great appreciation the way the club has looked after him.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
I remember De Goey mentioning that he felt like he owed the club.

You don’t see how leaving a club for more money after they’ve just supported you through years and years of injury issues wouldn’t sit well with some people?

Would i blame him if he left for more money? No, it’d he a smart move for his future given his injury history. But, I can definitely see a player thinking ‘i can’t leave, i owe this club some good footy’. I don’t understand how you can’t see that? Certain personalities are like that. Yeah it is a business and his job at the end of the day, but there is an emotional component to it. The emotions involved in sports is 10x that of a normal workplace. Pro sports are no where near like a regular job, i don’t understand why people ever compare the two.

And you believed JDG? IMO, that was spin and whilst I’m certain he feels a sense of responsibility to make good on the support he received owing the club is not something I believe when he says it.

I see how it might not sit well with fans, but on the inside it would be viewed very differently. What would you have done supported him or not? If you did support him would you feel he was indebted to you? I highly doubt that so the belief that he may feel that way is foreign to me.

Again I can see that outlook from fans only because it’s not a professional way of approaching things and fans don’t tend to view things in the same light or have the same understanding. As with JDG there’s likely a sense of compassion toward all the club has done for him, but indebtedness, absolutely not, IMO.

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
Josh Jenkins I've gone cold on. I do agree that since he's not a big pack player that he probably doesn't offer too much more aerially than we're already getting out of Elliott, Stephenson and Hoskin-Elliott. We get a fair few goals out the back as it is - that's not a weakness so Jenkins doesn't fix much at all. I don't think he's a sucky spud like others do - I reckon he can have a great impact at a Geelong or Bulldogs for example but he's really not what we need.

The dream would be Joe Daniher - the prospect of having him run around the forward 50 with our fleet of small forwards at his feet is drool-inducing. Of course the chances of a Daniher landing at Collingwood would be next to zero, and if he really leaves Essendon you'd think it would be to the quiet and salary rich Sydney Swans.

Josh Bruce is the next preference. There's no reason he can't slot 40+ each year with our delivery. He's also very versatile which is a boost to our heavily controlling game plan. I really hope we can nudge him out of St Kilda and I wouldn't spit the dummy if it cost our 2019 first rounder.

Thedivided

Cancelled
Oct 15, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Josh Jenkins I've gone cold on. I do agree that since he's not a big pack player that he probably doesn't offer too much more aerially than we're already getting out of Elliott, Stephenson and Hoskin-Elliott. We get a fair few goals out the back as it is - that's not a weakness so Jenkins doesn't fix much at all. I don't think he's a sucky spud like others do - I reckon he can have a great impact at a Geelong or Bulldogs for example but he's really not what we need.

The dream would be Joe Daniher - the prospect of having him run around the forward 50 with our fleet of small forwards at his feet is drool-inducing. Of course the chances of a Daniher landing at Collingwood would be next to zero, and if he really leaves Essendon you'd think it would be to the quiet and salary rich Sydney Swans.

Josh Bruce is the next preference. There's no reason he can't slot 40+ each year with our delivery. He's also very versatile which is a boost to our heavily controlling game plan. I really hope we can nudge him out of St Kilda and I wouldn't spit the dummy if it cost our 2019 first rounder.
We don't have a 2019 first rounder just so you're aware.

JOELY

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 9, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
AFL Club
Collingwood

Jay Clark pretty strong on Bruce to dogs last week. Hopefully we can throw something in the works.

Moore of the Same

Premiership Player
Mar 31, 2018
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Leeds United
Yep Taylor Walker. Kicked 19 of those 43 against the Saints (8 in two games), Suns (6 in two games) and Bulldogs (5 in round 23 - three of those in junk time in the second half after the Crows fell 10 goals behind). There's a common theme with those three teams, in terms of not really having much at the KPD spots.

I've watched a fair bit of the Crows this year and something seemed "wrong" with Walker - looked like a shell of his former self, nowhere near as assertive as he used to be and it was well noted that he had issues with decision making and even possibly pulling out of contests on a number of occasions as the season progressed.

The theory that "player A kicked X goals on a s**t team so that obviously means would have kicked X + N goals on our team (because we would obviously make a player N goals better)" is also a well worn fallacy.

Discounting form the bloke is also a flog and doesn't pass the character test for mine but to each their own on that front.

I don't really subscribe to the Tex is a flog narrative overall. This bloke was still voted as the AFLs best captain on a couple of occasions if memory serves. Besides, a change of scenery could work wonders, particularly if he wasn't required to take a leadership role.

I agree that he has seemed off since 2017, but I still think there's still a relatively useful player somewhere in there If you could get his head right. Kicked 54 goals just 2 years ago with a hot midfield delivering to him.. Who knows if he'd be able to find that run again, but it's not outside the realm of possibility that a new club could give him the refresh he needs.

Crows just lost their coach, which was reportedly the main thing that would keep Tex in Adelaide. If he was keen to go, I couldn't imagine a club needing to give up a lot for him. For what it's worth, I don't think we have a huge need for him.. our forwardline hums when it's fully fit and firing. But he could offer us a strong target, be an upgrade on Reid and make the difference when it matters most.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back