List Mgmt. Trade & F/A - 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought he had potential and found our treatment of him really curious - Kid with less than 10 games does his knee. Misses a year. Straight back into the seniors Round 1 the following year. Struggles (not surprisingly). Delisted.

Maybe I'm imagining it, but didn't he do his knee again first year back in the WAFL? If true - two knees, I wouldn't be keen.

First Ive heard of it. Is this fact or a hazy memory?

His delisting surprised many of us at the time. Was also very bottom aged in his draft year.

The second youngest player on an AFL list in his debut year, Ramsay's discipline and tenacity at the contest has made him an important part of the Collingwood VFL side in recent years. Only injuries have held him back, shin complaints curtailing his 2015 campaign and a knee reconstructing cutting his 2016 short after just two rounds. Will be hoping for a clear run at it for 2017 and beyond.

First Ive heard of it. Is this fact or a hazy memory?

His delisting surprised many of us at the time.
Ramsay was pretty nondescript. I wouldn't trust my memory about anything relating to him. I could very well be hazy, confused or just downright wrong. It was a genuine question on my behalf, as it's a vague recollection without really being a proper memory.

Ideal midfield structure 2020:

De Goey and Adams along with Pendlebury in the centre for their clearance work.

I wonder if Sier can be the inside bull we need but personally I'm not sold yet due to his poor work ethic.

Treloar on one wing, to utilise his outside speed instead of him being used as an inside mid when we have injuries.

The other wing I don't mind. I'd like to see Beams on there because he is still an elite mid of the competition, and his penetrating foot skills is what we need delivering inside 50.

Sidebottom can rotate with Beams across half forward - wing. Crisp can play some wing time too.

In reality, De Goey can't play 100% midfield time. When he pushed forward Id love to see Maynard into the guts occasionally.

If De Goey, Beams and Maynard all play midfield time next year I can see Phillips bring pushed out. I rate him and his running is incredible but he doesn't use the ball overly effectively.

I admire how hard he pushes back into defense. He's easily a top 22 ish player for us but our wing position is a hard one to crack when fully fit. I would love to see how he does off half back if he can't cement a wing spot because he maybe knows a thing or two with his defensive running and the link-up chains he's always involved in

Last edited:
Ramsay was pretty nondescript. I wouldn't trust my memory about anything relating to him. I could very well be hazy, confused or just downright wrong. It was a genuine question on my behalf, as it's a vague recollection without really being a proper memory.

Only thing I could find was in the opening round he hurt his knee in a collision within minutes of play that weekened it was reported as a suspected ACL but then he was back playing by round 8. No way he did his ACL.

Yeah I never got peoples dislike of him, I know he was torn apart in a few games but it wasn't as regular as poster portray. Before he did his ACL iirc was playing good footy.
Looking at my posting history on him it seems I rated him a bit prior to 2017 and then in 2017 I was very much on the delist bandwagon.. I think a lot of people were expecting us to rookie him and then we chose Appleby instead.

Well, it is, of course an opinion. I think Ramsey would offer upgrade on both, Noble about par with him except Ramsey has a stronger body.

Oh I’m not disputing that it’s your opinion or that you’re entitled to it. My point is simply that it’s mad. Appleby and Noble being on lists and Ramma not renders it a pointless discussion because our two are better by default.

FWIW you’re grossly underselling Noble. What he and Motlop did was astounding. They went from being amateur footballers to running out against pros and performing on the fly! To do that in the modern era is incredible. I did also find it fascinating that you chose to note that people were rough on Ramma in his first few years and then rated him ahead of two blokes in the exact same spot 🤔

You obviously mean Jacobs re GWS.

Whilst, I agree, I also agree that we need a KPF quicksmart. And our tight salary cap is preventing us doing that. That's potentially because we are going to be tying up $1M on a ruckman, which no other club has to do. So Seedsfan is right to say the lack of KPF is a continual worry, and one we did not sort out again this trade period.

I think there is scope to be creative though with our forward line, which has enough assets to cause disruption.

I really think we need to consider Moore in the forward line. I get all the arguments against this, but at the end it might just be mere necessity. We already have a 200cm bloke at full back, and it is incredibly rare to have 2 200cm defenders. We could bring Scharenberg in to fill the void, and Langdon comes back as well.

Moore is a nigtmare matchup as a forward. Impossible to find someone tall enough to stop his marking capacity, yet agile enough to go with him on the lead.

While it might not be Moore's best position, the Doggies to the punt last year on Naughton and swung him forward our of pure necessity. And it worked. You wouldn't even consider sending him back now.

The only question is whether Moore's body will hold up as a forward. I think it's less impact running as a defender, especially since he peels off a lot.

Moore is the answer you’re right.

I’ll pose a question- if his career was reversed and now played fwd having started in defence as a slight inexperienced defender isn’t it likely we would be lauding him as a fwd today?
And we would not be thinking of switching him defence.

That’s what people need to get their heads around - it’s just a serendipitous accident of history that he’s become a gun defender.
Today, with his size, mobility experience and maturity that he did NOT have when previously playing fwd, he could solve our KPF dilemma.
And save our Cap by precluding the need to get a gun fwd.

As you say we can cover his absence in defence as we proved in 2018.

Looking at my posting history on him it seems I rated him a bit prior to 2017 and then in 2017 I was very much on the delist bandwagon.. I think a lot of people were expecting us to rookie him and then we chose Appleby instead.

yup a lot of people jumped off the Ramsay Bus after his ACL and subsequent form. It usually takes guys 24 months to get back to their absolute best from those type of injuries (not all due to physical reasons but sometimes mentally to trust the body again).

Ideal midfield structure 2020:

De Goey and Adams along with Pendlebury in the centre for their clearance work.

Treloar on one wing, to utilise his outside speed instead of him being used as an inside mid when we have injuries.

The other wing I don't mind. I'd like to see Beams on there because he is still an elite mid of the competition, and his penetrating foot skills is what we need delivering inside 50.

Sidebottom can rotate with Beams across half forward - wing. Crisp can play some wing time too.

In reality, De Goey can't play 100% midfield time. When he pushed forward Id love to see Maynard into the guts occasionally.
You’re pretty accurate.
I likes.

I’d absolutely prefer De Goey play both on the ball and forward. The Dusty role.
He’d actually be huge to win a Brownlow if he could go say 70% on the ball 30% forward.
Be great.

Grundy with De Goey, Pendlebury and then Adams, Steele, Treloar be great. I like Treloar doing wing work too.
Beams through the ball forward.

R. Grundy Pendlebury Adams
C. Sidebottom De Goey Treloar
I. Sier

Beams via forward of the ball to on ball.

We’d be frightening if they all play fit together with continuity.

Better off cutting your losses with Reid. Take a shot on a rookie they maybe a bust but may also work. You know with Reid he will sit out 15 games. What’s the point

Totally understand the sentiment and hopefully some rookies we already have take a step or two , eg Keane and Wilson.

However keeping Reid (or not) has zero to do with trading Aish and the clubs need to manage salary cap into 2021.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My opinion hasn’t changed. We were forced to dump Aish to make room to accomodate everyone within the cap.

Personally I don’t have a massive issue losing Aish as a player but the fact he is forced out says something about where we are at.

No, you said we were forced to dump aish to fit Cameron in.

You also said you’d rather give a rookie a go rather than Reid. Well Cameron is a rookie isn’t he? Albeit mature aged. He’s played one senior game ffs. But you don’t want him.

You’re spewing we have forced Aish out but don’t think we will miss him.

Make up your mind, you are all over the shop.

Oh I’m not disputing that it’s your opinion or that you’re entitled to it. My point is simply that it’s mad. Appleby and Noble being on lists and Ramma not renders it a pointless discussion because our two are better by default.

FWIW you’re grossly underselling Noble. What he and Motlop did was astounding. They went from being amateur footballers to running out against pros and performing on the fly! To do that in the modern era is incredible. I did also find it fascinating that you chose to note that people were rough on Ramma in his first few years and then rated him ahead of two blokes in the exact same spot 🤔

I thought he showed more glimpses early then Appleby has prior to the Knee injury at the same stage of their careers.

As for Noble yes he did great coming in where he did, but that doesn't necessitate a player cant be an improvement on him. Added to that im not potting him or suggesting he be moved on rather I feel Rama had the potential had he stayed to be an upgrade on both even if marginally over Noble. I have slight concerns over Noble being done in by physical teams but do also like a lot of what he brings. Think you are reading too much into the Noble comment.

Motlop? He is fat

I thought he showed more glimpses early then Appleby has prior to the Knee injury at the same stage of their careers.

As for Noble yes he did great coming in where he did, but that doesn't necessitate a player cant be an improvement on him. Added to that im not potting him or suggesting he be moved on rather I feel Rama had the potential had he stayed to be an upgrade on both even if marginally over Noble. I have slight concerns over Noble being done in by physical teams but do also like a lot of what he brings. Think you are reading too much into the Noble comment.

Hmm I might leave this discussion here because we’re on very different pages based on your response. Much like a future discussion with TD will be on Aish 👍

Moore is the answer you’re right.

I’ll pose a question- if his career was reversed and now played fwd having started in defence as a slight inexperienced defender isn’t it likely we would be lauding him as a fwd today?
And we would not be thinking of switching him defence.

That’s what people need to get their heads around - it’s just a serendipitous accident of history that he’s become a gun defender.
Today, with his size, mobility experience and maturity that he did NOT have when previously playing fwd, he could solve our KPF dilemma.
And save our Cap by precluding the need to get a gun fwd.

As you say we can cover his absence in defence as we proved in 2018.

I personally think Moore is better as a defender. He is actually dominant in that role...able to intercept everything, then provide bounce from defence.

But Jeremy Howe is a very similar mould...just shorter...and Langdon is also an intercept marker. I think Scharenberg at his best is an intercept marker as well...and Nathan Murphy may also slot straight into this role as well. Plus we still have the big body of Roughead for the monsters.

So I think it's just pure necessity that Moore should go forward. Or at worst, be used in spurts in this role when Grundy is off and Cox is in the ruck. Just throw a different mix at the opposition.

s**t I’ve done a Mitch Cleary. I meant Pickett...
Thought you meant Pickett but I didn’t wanna say it incase I was wrong and then I get accused of being racist again. I mean there’s a chance Motlop impressed against pro’s in an eating comp but you said running and there’s simply no way

No, you said we were forced to dump aish to fit Cameron in.

You also said you’d rather give a rookie a go rather than Reid. Well Cameron is a rookie isn’t he? Albeit mature aged. He’s played one senior game ffs. But you don’t want him.

You’re spewing we have forced Aish out but don’t think we will miss him.

Make up your mind, you are all over the shop.
We were forced to dump Aish to remain under the cap so him and Cameron couldn’t of coexisted

Reid is going to be getting paid more than a rookie list player so is Cameron. We have no need for another ruckman as Lynch Cox or Roughie could fill the role if Grundy is injured

As I have said I am not too fussed about Aish going but the fact we are in a position where players are forced out due to cap pressure is concerning when you consider clubs like the Eagles are able to go out and get big name players. It shows that there must be blokes at the club on too much.

We were forced to dump Aish to remain under the cap so him and Cameron couldn’t of coexisted

Reid is going to be getting paid more than a rookie list player so is Cameron. We have no need for another ruckman as Lynch Cox or Roughie could fill the role if Grundy is injured

As I have said I am not too fussed about Aish going but the fact we are in a position where players are forced out due to cap pressure is concerning when you consider clubs like the Eagles are able to go out and get big name players. It shows that there must be blokes at the club on too much.
That first paragraph is kind of a massive assumption

Thought you meant Pickett but I didn’t wanna say it incase I was wrong and then I get accused of being racist again. I mean there’s a chance Motlop impressed against pro’s in an eating comp but you said running and there’s simply no way

?

It’s the Marlon/ Marlion that got me after Cleary put it in my head during the week.

Totally understand the sentiment and hopefully some rookies we already have take a step or two , eg Keane and Wilson.

However keeping Reid (or not) has zero to do with trading Aish and the clubs need to manage salary cap into 2021.
Didn’t say it did but if we are that tight we shouldn’t be holding blokes like Varcoe and Reid. Have a senior list of 38 and see if you can bring some players pay forward who are already contracted.

I just really don’t see any point giving Reid another year

Stop making stuff up mate.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back