List Mgmt. Trade & F/A - 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tend to agree. I think Howe and Moore are pretty like for like as defenders, same strengths same strength in a one on one weakness. But i do tjink Moore is going to be a much better defence than forward.

I would have another look at Moore as a forward though, but frankly with JDG and Stephenson I'm not convinced that we need to add a gun KPF.
But if you accept that De Goey is probably better off being used more in the centre of the field as a dynamic clearance player (given we do not have a mid that fits that mould), then trying to develop Moore up forward has even more merit.

On a side note Carlton delete their mid season recruit. What a waste of a blokes time. ******* rabble of a club, as if they are going to be moving up the ladder with SOS still calling the shots.
Suprise they did not get more GWS Rejects

On a side note Carlton delete their mid season recruit. What a waste of a blokes time. ******* rabble of a club, as if they are going to be moving up the ladder with SOS still calling the shots.
I assume you’re saying this like it’s a good thing.

If so, great post :)

Looking at our list profile, I’d say that several things need to happen in the next 12-24 months assuming we don’t have the cap space to chase a gun key forward, and they’re dependant on each other:

1. Keane and Kelly both need to develop as AFL quality key defenders. Roughead and Moore are both great options, but Roughy is approaching 30 and Moore also remains our best key forward option. Murphy could also potentially cover a key defensive role if he’s reached 193cm or more. He’s actually my pick of the bunch because of his attack on the footy and his beautiful field kicking.

2. If two of those 3 can slot in to KPD roles then Moore can be moved forward. He can play Cox’s role but be better in every way and with Cox pushing 30 and not seeming to be improving anymore, it’s time to look at other options. Think a fit Joe Daniher and that’s what you’d get with Darcy forward now that he’s grown in to his body and is more experienced at the level.

3. One of Wilson or Tohill needs to develop in to an AFL standard forward. Wilson is the one I’m bullish on here. He showed some real glimpses last year with no preseason after several years out of the game. We know he’s got the work ethic too, because you don’t get selected as a Boomer if you’re a slacker.

4. If one of Wilson or Tohill can push in to the forward line it releases JDG to play more minutes in the middle. This will become more and more necessary in the future, with Pendles approaching his mid thirties and possibly being moved to a wing or less physical role in the future. Yes, we have Sier and Wills, but neither of them are currently even close to being in Jordy’s league in the middle.

There are several more things that need to go right including nailing draft picks and natural progression from our kids, but if we want to keep our window open for as long as possible then the changes/development of our spine are crucial imo, and all of it is very achievable.
Recognising the parameters that you've set
- Roughead should be OK for a couple more years. He turns 29 later this year and Scott Thompson just finished at 33 years as an example.
- Reef McInnes is 191cm currently and could grow further and add to the tall forward options
- Murphy is too slight to play KPB successfully for any length of time. He's a 3rd defender option only in my opinion, which is the club's plan for him from what I have been told by him.
- We may move up the draft this year and grab a player like Josh Worrell who is 195cm (but is again slightly built)

But yes, Moore up forward and De Goey in the middle remain viable options to explore.

But if you accept that De Goey is probably better off being used more in the centre of the field as a dynamic clearance player (given we do not have a mid that fits that mould), then trying to develop Moore up forward has even more merit.
I can't see JDG being a genuine mid as I think he'll offer more in a centre bounce moving forward role like Dusty played for the tigers this year. Don't know if his endurance will be suited to the grind of a proper mid. I also think his style is a bit too attacking for the defensive half midfield duties. His best trick as a clearance mid is to flash through congestion at full pace. It makes him a dangerous weapon, but it also puts him out of the contest when the ball doesn't fall for him.

I’ve heard Patrick Kerr’s name mentioned by a few of my blues mates (gross I know) and saw he got delisted, any regular vfl watchers know anything about him here? Is he any good and happens to be behind some talent talks, or has his just got size

Dave if they are like the Chinese leadership they’re planning years in advance.

Keep the best talent.
Have strong back up of talent.
Welcome in Reef McInnes.
Welcome in Nick Daicos (make him 35 for his long career)
Ensure key position forwards - whoops nobody is perfect....

Be all good.

2020 will be very happy I think

Amen brother. This will be the ideal and honorable way for the club to move on from this experiment with number 35.

Josh Walker has been delisted. Worth considering at minimum wage?

I'd take Walker as a DFA.

My view is he's better than Roughead and Dunn.

Pies would have the flexibility either to play Walker alongside Moore and a Dunn or Roughead, play him alongside just Moore, or alternatively the way I'd proceed personally is use Walker to hold down a key defence post and switch Moore forward to become a relieving ruckman which for mine is his best use case.

They wont play him forward because they dont have someone as good as him in defence and Buckely wants to build from defence, NOT because they think he can't play there.

Very close to my feelings as well. I liked him moved back, and IF he can get some game continuity though, he can be the difference up forward.

I'd take Walker as a DFA.

My view is he's better than Roughead and Dunn.

Pies would have the flexibility either to play Walker alongside Moore and a Dunn or Roughead, play him alongside just Moore, or alternatively the way I'd proceed personally is use Walker to hold down a key defence post and switch Moore forward to become a relieving ruckman which for mine is his best use case.

I haven’t been an advocate for moving Moore forward because I don’t think we have a strong alternative. Roughy can play the hold down role but is not threatening on the rebound which is vital these days. Walker may provide an option that would allow Moore to go forward but I am concerned we may lose too much in the back half.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Recognising the parameters that you've set
- Roughead should be OK for a couple more years. He turns 29 later this year and Scott Thompson just finished at 33 years as an example.
- Reef McInnes is 191cm currently and could grow further and add to the tall forward options
- Murphy is too slight to play KPB successfully for any length of time. He's a 3rd defender option only in my opinion, which is the club's plan for him from what I have been told by him.
- We may move up the draft this year and grab a player like Josh Worrell who is 195cm (but is again slightly built)

But yes, Moore up forward and De Goey in the middle remain viable options to explore.
Reef is apparently a gun mid. If he can develop there then that’s where he’s best utilised imo, as a part of a midfield revamp that will be required eventually.

Murphy was drafted skinny but unlike Stephenson he looks to have a frame that could be built up to a good level. He has nice wide shoulders. I’m not convinced he couldn’t play a key role in the future and certainly wouldn’t flat out rule it out like you seem to be doing. Worrell would be nice, but he’s a year of development behind Kelly and Keane already and not even on our list, so really not worth mentioning.

I haven’t been an advocate for moving Moore forward because I don’t think we have a strong alternative. Roughy can play the hold down role but is not threatening on the rebound which is vital these days. Walker may provide an option that would allow Moore to go forward but I am concerned we may lose too much in the back half.

Walker has similar marking and contested marking capabilities to Moore and is a little better 1v1 but not as good of a rebounder.

Potentially a Walker/Dunn combo could happen if the club wanted the rebound as Roughead doesn't give much.

The key for me more so is having the general defenders around them who can generate drive. Dunn if healthy definitely can with his penetrating kick.

Walker has similar marking and contested marking capabilities to Moore and is a little better 1v1 but not as good of a rebounder.

Potentially a Walker/Dunn combo could happen if the club wanted the rebound as Roughead doesn't give much.

The key for me more so is having the general defenders around them who can generate drive. Dunn if healthy definitely can with his penetrating kick.

IF Walker is that good why was he De-Listed and No Team had any Interest during the Trade Period?

IF Walker is that good why was he De-Listed and No Team had any Interest during the Trade Period?

I asked the same question this time last year when Jarryd Lyons was delisted. My view is clubs, Collingwood being the player in my list needs analysis who should have targeted him for a nothing pick since the Suns don't need/value him.

Club's aren't always right.

Walker's late 2018 and early 2019 play was among the best of the key defenders in the comp. When he is in form and given that continuity, he can really play to a strong level in defence.

Last edited:
I should point out Josh Walker is about to turn 27 (November) so he’ll be 27 only.

Not an old guy.

Consideration for a free hit? And at a bargain based salary. Not the worst idea.

I asked the same question this time last year when Jarryd Lyons was delisted. My view is clubs, Collingwood being the player in my list needs analysis who should have targeted him for a nothing pick since the Lions don't need/value him.

Club's aren't always right.

Walker's late 2018 and early 2019 play was among the best of the key defenders in the comp. When he is in form and given that continuity, he can really play to a strong level in defence.

Guess that is Something other Clubs now have to Think. Are the Lions Wrong or do they agree they are not up to AFL Level.

Could be something Mental not Talent Wise

Guess that is Something other Clubs now have to Think. Are the Lions Wrong or do they agree they are not up to AFL Level.

Hard to go past Andrews and Gardiner for those key posts. He could be better than Adams but they would've paid him decent coin to get him across.

Sometimes Clubs just want to move on with a player, who might be a bit stale, but with stale bread another club can make croutons which taste good in the soup.

Player delisted goes to new club and then puts every extra effort in to their last chance.

All sorts of reasons.

Were mad if we don't look at Walker Keays or Robinson all from brisbane

Robinson is the one I don't see room or a role for.

Walker and Keays I feel can be best 22.

Keays many won't be familiar with unless you've seen him either as a junior or in the NEAFL, but he's someone mid/fwd who goes very well. Wins his own ball, classy/composed ball user who hits his i50 targets, good mover and has the endurance base, production and scoreboard impact is there, very strong mark overhead. He has the attributes but hasn't received the opportunities. An ideal forward to have rolling through the midfield for decent periods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back