List Mgmt. Trade & F/A - 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree the spot shouldn’t be going to Dunn, but it shouldn’t be going to a kid either, IMO. It should have gone to a guy that got recycled like Keyes or Walker or the best state leaguer we can find.

Our U21 group is poor, but we’re win now so we need immediate impact from that list spot and another speculative kid doesn’t help in that regard.

FWIW I think we’ll have two spots available by the end of the SSP.

I'm much more at ease with giving Dunn the chance to get redrafted.

I think the more salient point for me is how good will Dunn be on his return? He was looking good through the last pre-season before he re-did his knee. Seemed to have maintained much of what he offered prior to his 1st knee. What impact will the 2nd knee have on that? I don't know, but if it's minimal then I think he's a better option than the recycled types purely for the leadership and clubmanship he brings to the squad. And if he can get back close to his pre 1st knee form then he'd arguably be pressuring Roughy to retain his spot.

The other key question is will this reco hold up any better than the 1st? I don't know. Given the club has allowed him the time to make his case on both these aspects I'd assume neither do they, but hopefully it will.

Especially when he’ll be 5th to 6th in line when he returns and unlikely to go past the 4 in front of him (Moore, Roughead, Murphy and Keane).

If Dunny can get back to anything like his pre 1st reco form then I'd say Moore is the only player in front of him. Roughy currently holds the other KPD spot and will likely get 1st crack given Dunn will have a delayed start but he wouldn't want his form to drop off.

If Dunny can get back to anything like his pre 1st reco form then I'd say Moore is the only player in front of him. Roughy currently holds the other KPD spot and will likely get 1st crack given Dunn will have a delayed start but he wouldn't want his form to drop off.

Definitely he was a gun pre-knee, but he won’t. I think the expectations on Dunn after more than 18 months out of the game at his age should be very limited. By all means hope for the best, but plan for it to be 12 months, at least, before he gets back to that level by which time he’ll be 34 and retired.

Definitely he was a gun pre-knee, but he won’t. I think the expectations on Dunn after more than 18 months out of the game at his age should be very limited. By all means hope for the best, but plan for it to be 12 months, at least, before he gets back to that level by which time he’ll be 34 and retired.

Yeah, time will tell but I get the feeling Dunny shouldn't be measured against accepted norms.

Yeah, time will tell but I get the feeling Dunny shouldn't be measured against accepted norms.

I would have 100% agreed given his mindset, but after lasting 20 minutes on return from his first surgery I’ll only buy in once he proves it. Fingers crossed though because it’ll be a good problem to have!

Being realistic and ignoring the players likely to command huge salaries which we most likely won't have (Cameron, Daniher etc), I'm hoping the club can keep tabs on a few names at other clubs.

Luke Brown (Adelaide) - one of the best small defenders in the game and has been for some time now. If you're like me and want to see Maynard use his speed, grunt and kicking through midfield and up forward without jeopardising the state of the defence, Brown is an established gun who might decide at 28 that he's served his time at Adelaide and he wants to try and win a flag that he probably won't over there.

Zac Williams (GWS) - a seriously classy unit who when needed to, has demonstrated his ability to play to a high level all over the ground. He's found his home inside defensive 50 for GWS providing run and carry in the same role that Crisp plays for us, however I reckon Williams would be even more damaging for us in a wing-half forward role where he can use his pinpoint disposal to get the ball onto the chests of our quick leading forwards. He'd be a significant upgrade on the likes of Thomas and Hoskin-Elliott. A potential victim of a salary cap squeeze up north, here's to hoping the club are looking at him.

Isaac Smith (Hawthorn) - Zac Williams-lite when discussing targets, but Smith is still a very good player that could be worth handing a two-year deal to providing he doesn't look like losing any of his speed and precision kicking. A great clubman at a club that won three in a row, he has seen the journey to glory many times, and I believe as a half forward/outside mid, he would be a hell of a lot more damaging that some of the likes getting regular games in our forward half now. Reckon he should have been a target last year, and this year he's again on the watch list.

Being realistic and ignoring the players likely to command huge salaries which we most likely won't have (Cameron, Daniher etc), I'm hoping the club can keep tabs on a few names at other clubs.

Luke Brown (Adelaide) - one of the best small defenders in the game and has been for some time now. If you're like me and want to see Maynard use his speed, grunt and kicking through midfield and up forward without jeopardising the state of the defence, Brown is an established gun who might decide at 28 that he's served his time at Adelaide and he wants to try and win a flag that he probably won't over there.

Zac Williams (GWS) - a seriously classy unit who when needed to, has demonstrated his ability to play to a high level all over the ground. He's found his home inside defensive 50 for GWS providing run and carry in the same role that Crisp plays for us, however I reckon Williams would be even more damaging for us in a wing-half forward role where he can use his pinpoint disposal to get the ball onto the chests of our quick leading forwards. He'd be a significant upgrade on the likes of Thomas and Hoskin-Elliott. A potential victim of a salary cap squeeze up north, here's to hoping the club are looking at him.

Isaac Smith (Hawthorn) - Zac Williams-lite when discussing targets, but Smith is still a very good player that could be worth handing a two-year deal to providing he doesn't look like losing any of his speed and precision kicking. A great clubman at a club that won three in a row, he has seen the journey to glory many times, and I believe as a half forward/outside mid, he would be a hell of a lot more damaging that some of the likes getting regular games in our forward half now. Reckon he should have been a target last year, and this year he's again on the watch list.
I think if we wanted Smith we should have targeted him for last year. He is another year older by next year and in his twilight years. Reckon he was gettable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dunn to play one game in seniors be exposed dropped and never seen again

If Dunn does get that final spot and ultimately makes it back into the senior side then I wouldn't be betting too heavily that it'd be a 1 game run barring injury issues.

Pablo, you hate a comma and a full stop, but you make your point well.

Sad if that happens to Dunn, but you may be right.

He is way off the mark I reckon. Injury will be his only possible downfall.
If he stays fit, he will play a good portion of AFL games & acquit himself well.

He is way off the mark I reckon. Injury will be his only possible downfall.
If he stays fit, he will play a good portion of AFL games & acquit himself well.

I dont doubt Dunn’s determination and competitive nature. I wish more of our players had half of it! But he’s missed two years, his age, up against much younger players now. It doesn’t augur well.

A premiership hungry club would not even contemplate listing Dunn. No room for sentiment when chasing flags

Then it’s lucky we aren’t doing this due to sentimentality! The club clearly feel we’re one experienced defender short, which I agree with, what I don’t agree with is Dunn as that player.

Now that the dust has settled on the off-season it should have been Walker, IMO.

Then it’s lucky we aren’t doing this due to sentimentality! The club clearly feel we’re one experienced defender short, which I agree with, what I don’t agree with is Dunn as that player.

Now that the dust has settled on the off-season it should have been Walker, IMO.

Disagree with you on this one Sco.
Dunn when fit is 3 times the player Walker is. I agree he is is a risk coming off 2 recos. A risk that may blow up in our faces. Time will tell.
But pretty happy Walker isn't on our list. Very average IMO of course.
If anything I would have preferred to trade a late pick for Casboult.
As a forward he is pretty average, but he smashed Reid when we played them & looks a good defender.

I think we should have asked Callum Moore to train with us as well.

Disagree with you on this one Sco.
Dunn when fit is 3 times the player Walker is. I agree he is is a risk coming off 2 recos. A risk that may blow up in our faces. Time will tell.
But pretty happy Walker isn't on our list. Very average IMO of course.
If anything I would have preferred to trade a late pick for Casboult.
As a forward he is pretty average, but he smashed Reid when we played them & looks a good defender.

Walker is nowhere near that poor and you’re talking 2018 Dunn which we’ll never see again. Casboult definitely would have been another good alternative.

I think we should have asked Callum Moore to train with us as well.

I wasn’t aware he’d spent time down back? My take is we’d have been wasting time with another forward given the competition for spots between Reid, Wilson, Cameron and Kelly.

Walker is nowhere near that poor and you’re talking 2018 Dunn which we’ll never see again. Casboult definitely would have been another good alternative.

I wasn’t aware he’d spent time down back? My take is we’d have been wasting time with another forward given the competition for spots between Reid, Wilson, Cameron and Kelly.
I'm not sure if he had spent time down back, but maybe if he was training with us we would have kept Kelly down back.

I'm not sure if he had spent time down back, but maybe if he was training with us we would have kept Kelly down back.

Is that's what is best for Kelly though? Is it worth sacrificing his potentially preferred development for a NQR Richmond cast off?

Casboult would have been a good player as a rotating KPP utility, or solid KPD depth at worse.

The other factors going for him is that he is durable and would've come on the cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back