List Mgmt. Trade & F/A - 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

There are a lot of young and talented 2nd string ruck/fwd and CHF/FFs around... Not just coleman jones as mentioned above, but also Schache, Weideman, Marshall etc, all highly gettable with strong potential.

Surely we are not relying on Will Kelly for the future

Patton is ready made, Lewis is depth ATM & 5-6 years younger.
While he's contracted if the hawks were cutting key forwards based on age Tim O'Brien at 26 would be more likely than Lewis.

There are a lot of young and talented 2nd string ruck/fwd and CHF/FFs around... Not just coleman jones as mentioned above, but also Schache, Weideman, Marshall etc, all highly gettable with strong potential.

Is he less likely than the blokes you've mentioned? At least he's on an upward trajectory.

So what draft picks do we currently have to play with?

Our First. St Kilda's Second? Our Third? Any other picks in the first 3 rounds?

Plus who knows what we get in return if we lose patience and trade out someone like De Goey.

2 metre Peter has really dropped off the face of the earth. I get the feeling he just isn't up to it. But should be gettable.

I'll be monitoring Sam Weideman. He got named this week, but seems to be on the outer. Looked like he'd be a star at the end of 2018...and the Dees were more than happy to let Hogan walk as they thought Weideman was the future.

I also really like Mitch Lewis. He probably played his best game of his career against us last year. I reckon he has something about him, and is at least a more pure forward than anyone we'd have on our list.

So what draft picks do we currently have to play with?

Our First. St Kilda's Second? Our Third? Any other picks in the first 3 rounds?

Plus who knows what we get in return if we lose patience and trade out someone like De Goey.
We have a pick in every round. But first we need to match a bid likely in the first round for Reef.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be happier relying on Kelly than I would on Weideman or Schache. Those two are closer to being delisted than they are to being reliable AFL forwards

We have a pick in every round. But first we need to match a bid likely in the first round for Reef.
Given where we are likely to finish on the ladder, there is unlikely to be a bid for Reef before our first selection. Consensus seems to be he is a 15-25 selection.

Given where we are likely to finish on the ladder, there is unlikely to be a bid for Reef before our first selection.
What makes you say that? That's up to the other clubs on where they rate him. We can only hope that's the case. And sure, his bid could be pushed back with a lot of Academy/FS in this draft

Which is why we need to trade into the top 10 so we can use a first pick before having to match bid on Reef.

The problem with looking to fix it through the draft is that by the time a kid is a reliable KPF, chances are we'll need to be replacing most areas of the ground. It'll help the future, but not our current team.

Is he less likely than the blokes you've mentioned? At least he's on an upward trajectory.
I’d have a look at Marshall since he seems to be on an upward trend, but the other two are the very definition of busts. Both huge disappointments for where they were drafted and below AFL standard at this point in their careers.

Given where we are likely to finish on the ladder, there is unlikely to be a bid for Reef before our first selection. Consensus seems to be he is a 15-25 selection.
That’s not the consensus for him at all...

Which is why we need to trade into the top 10 so we can use a first pick before having to match bid on Reef.
* Hoping we win premiership - if not, then the below:

I'm with you

I'd even like to go a step further if possible

If we happen to have a terrible end to the year and our first pick seems to be in front of the Reef bid, I'd also like us to be super aggressive in trading next year's first, plus this year's 2nd + whatever is needed to obtain another pick in front of Reef
(do trading rules allow this?)

Having Reef and Daicos coming through in the midfield gives us a generational turnover while still having some older players to push for success now as well as into the future

In the short term, we'd need to either hope Kelly comes on / trade in a FF that is simply there to bring the ball to ground more effectively than what is presently happening / or hope that a free agent FF is available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back