Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
I'm not sure if he had spent time down back, but maybe if he was training with us we would have kept Kelly down back.

IMO, we need to forget what we know of Kelly as a jnr because the club see him as a forward (at least for the short to medium term).

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Casboult would have been a good player as a rotating KPP utility, or solid KPD depth at worse.

The other factors going for him is that he is durable and would've come on the cheap.

It would have been a no to the rotating utility role, however as a KPD I think we have enough exposure to say he could play a role if Roughead or Moore went down and we didn’t think one of Keane or Madgen is sufficient cover.

Johno9911

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
It would have been a no to the rotating utility role, however as a KPD I think we have enough exposure to say he could play a role if Roughead or Moore went down and we didn’t think one of Keane or Madgen is sufficient cover.

Ah my words around floating utility were poorly chosen. More meant that he could have provided handy depth in all KPP roles, with being exclusively KPD depth the worst case scenario.

Harry O

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool
IMO, we need to forget what we know of Kelly as a jnr because the club see him as a forward (at least for the short to medium term).
i have less trust in the club after watching what bucks did to Keeffe in his last season with us. Not sure they know where to best position key position players

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
i have less trust in the club after watching what bucks did to Keeffe in his last season with us. Not sure they know where to best position key position players

You mean the bloke that’s played two good matches in his time at GWS coincidentally both v Collingwood (v Cox) and was dropped for the one game that matters? If that’s the strongest argument you’ve got I’m not sure you’re convincing anyone except yourself that they don’t know where to best position key position players...

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
He is way off the mark I reckon. Injury will be his only possible downfall.
If he stays fit, he will play a good portion of AFL games & acquit himself well.

How many other 33 year olds are doing well at AFL level?

Oh and let's not even take account he has missed 2 years of football and has dodgy knees...

How many other 33 year olds are doing well at AFL level?

Oh and let's not even take account he has missed 2 years of football and has dodgy knees...
He has missed one year plus a handful of games in the latter part of 2018 & has one dodgy knee.
If his knee holds up, he will be an asset. Short term player admittedly. But I’m okay with that considering the benefit we could get if he can get back. it’s a lowly rookie spot on minimum wage. Not exactly taking a massive risk here.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Will Kelly is clearly a better defender. Stubborn Bucks will try and argue otherwise

Spare me. You have absolutely no evidence that that’s the case.

The kid has played two VFL matches. Let the kid put together a season or two of footy as a full time professional before we make definitive statements about his best role.

EFA. It’s rich of Harry O to throw the word stubborn around and make the claims he has on the basis of no exposure against senior bodies. It makes as much sense as me saying Wilson is a KPD. The justification might as well be “because I said so”.

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Our old superstar full-back, Prestigiacomo, was drafted as a highly capable forward. We all know how that played out.
In retrospect it was hard to understand why he had been played in his junior footy as a full forward rather than a defender. He avoided kicking the ball if there was any alternative and was hardly a great pack mark or quick on the lead. His particular skills all seemed suited to a close checking key defensive role.

Robroy22

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
Jindabyne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Central Broken Hill (Magpies)
Our old superstar full-back, Prestigiacomo, was drafted as a highly capable forward. We all know how that played out.

And Peter McCormack, Billy Picken, Dougie Gott, Chris Tarrant. Even Jimmy Clement was a forward for the first third of his career at Freo. Forwards often "go back" but its pretty rare for a backman to go forward and stay there permanently and successfully like Mihocek has done these past few years.

Oct 28, 2006
MT OLYMPUS
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Olympiakos, McLaren
In retrospect it was hard to understand why he had been played in his junior footy as a full forward rather than a defender. He avoided kicking the ball if there was any alternative and was hardly a great pack mark or quick on the lead. His particular skills all seemed suited to a close checking key defensive role.

I never saw him play as a youngster, As I was one too t the time, but, I think it would be safe to assume he was a pretty good forward.. why else would he have been drafted if he wasn’t any good?

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I never saw him play as a youngster, As I was one too t the time, but, I think it would be safe to assume he was a pretty good forward.. why else would he have been drafted if he wasn’t any good?
I am not sure about the 'safe' bit. He never looked likely to be able to play a key forward role at Collingwood. I never investigated his underage achievements, but I cannot imagine him lighting up the forward line at TAC level. No doubt there are some old timers here with a better knowledge of his early career than me.

SchuPie

Premiership Player
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Celtics, Canucks
Ben Reid came as a CHF, won AA as a CHB

Ill take the 2010 KPD Premiership player thanks, however...

IMO (!!)

They gave up on Reid as a KPF too quickly

It was the yips that held him back, not his leading patterns or ability to mark / get the ball in the forward half
Had some really good "potential" games in the forward line, esp one game against Hawthorn where he lead and marked everything...then shanked every kick

It took him some time to learn the KPD role and I wonder if the same time and diligence had been put into his run up / kicking issues that we would've have had a 70+ a-year goal kicker

The kid has played half a season of VFL footy. Let the kid put together a season or two of footy as a full time professional before we make definitive statements about his best role.
Just the 4 VFL games to be precise. Showed enough as a forward to persist especially given we have less KPF depth vs KPDs. It’s also harder to find quality forwards.

Plenty of time to reassess if his development stalls forward.

Just the 4 VFL games to be precise. Showed enough as a forward to persist especially given we have less KPF depth vs KPDs. It’s also harder to find quality forwards.

Plenty of time to reassess if his development stalls forward.

Easier to get a Game as a KPF then a KPD

Lime22

Senior List
Jan 7, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Grundy's seven-year contract is too long: Shaw
Jon Pierik
By Jon Pierik
February 1, 2020 — 3.07pm
Shawry not happy with Brodie contract

Collingwood great Tony Shaw says the Magpies should not have given Brodie Grundy a deal for longer than five years, but understands they are paying a premium because they are in the premiership window.
Grundy has secured a seven-year contract, tying him to the club until the end of 2027, because he still had this year to run on his contract, but the deal has split opinions.
Brody Grundy, along with Max Gawn, is considered the premier ruckman in the competition.

Brody Grundy, along with Max Gawn, is considered the premier ruckman in the competition.CREDIT:AAP
He is a dual All-Australian and arguably the best big man in the league but the physical punishment a ruckman typically endures means he could struggle to still be playing by the end of the contract, when he will be 33.
Shaw, the former Magpies' skipper and coach, said Lance Franklin's on-going knee issues entering the seventh season of his nine-year contract with the Swans should be a warning to the Pies.
Advertisement

"I look at Buddy's body now and he might not get to nine or 10 (years). He (Grundy) is 26 (in April) but ruckmen are a different breed and they are only one jump and one bad landing and one knee hit away from not playing for a long time," Shaw said.
"I would have given him five. That would have been heaps. If he didn't want it, sometimes you have got to go to the well and (play) hard. He is a good player but the thing about Brodie is that he has become like a midfielder. Have a look at the last couple of premierships that have been won – they (teams) didn't have a dominant ruckman.

"They were competitive, (Toby) Nankervis (at Richmond)... it's not like you have to have a dominant ruckman to win. Look at the Western Bulldogs, they didn't have a dominant ruckman."
Grundy's best football is arguably still ahead of him and, with suitors already lining up, including from his home town of Adelaide, and with these offers set to escalate this year, because he could have explored free agency after this season, the Magpies had to ease their usual stance of not awarding long-term deals. The club had originally not wanted to offer more than five years.

"Good luck to him. I have no worries about him. He is a ripper but, to me, you are one jump, you are one contact, you are one bad fall away from doing your knee as a ruckman," Shaw said.
"You are in a higher stress area than any midfielder that I know. That's why I wouldn't go there. He has got to play until he is 33. He has taken a lot of work already, so his body is probably an older body for his sizing and the age.
"But they (Magpies) are in the (premiership) window and they probably wouldn't want to lose him over the next two years. They are paying overs for three years and hoping nothing happens in between."
Grundy will earn in the region of $1 million a year, making him one of the highest-paid ruckman in the game's history.
The specifics of the contract have not been divulged but the Magpies could face a salary-cap squeeze this year for Jordan de Goey, 24 next month, and Darcy Moore, who recently turned 24, are also off contract. Skipper Scott Pendlebury is also be chasing a new deal.

Grundy has been instrumental in the Magpies' resurgence over the past two seasons, having claimed successive best-and-fairest awards, and he will need to be again this year as they seek redemption for a shock preliminary-final defeat to Greater Western Sydney.
"We lost a grand final and a preliminary final but we should have won the preliminary. As a matter of fact, that last seven minutes of ruck work (against the Giants), it wasn't his (Grundy's) fault, but the organisation around the ruck work was horrible and there was probably a lack of leadership in those last seven minutes," Shaw said.
"I felt worse after the preliminary final loss last year than what I did in the grand final the year before."

Grundy's seven-year contract is too long: Shaw
Jon Pierik
By Jon Pierik
February 1, 2020 — 3.07pm
Shawry not happy with Brodie contract

Collingwood great Tony Shaw says the Magpies should not have given Brodie Grundy a deal for longer than five years, but understands they are paying a premium because they are in the premiership window.
Grundy has secured a seven-year contract, tying him to the club until the end of 2027, because he still had this year to run on his contract, but the deal has split opinions.
Brody Grundy, along with Max Gawn, is considered the premier ruckman in the competition.

Brody Grundy, along with Max Gawn, is considered the premier ruckman in the competition.CREDIT:AAP
He is a dual All-Australian and arguably the best big man in the league but the physical punishment a ruckman typically endures means he could struggle to still be playing by the end of the contract, when he will be 33.
Shaw, the former Magpies' skipper and coach, said Lance Franklin's on-going knee issues entering the seventh season of his nine-year contract with the Swans should be a warning to the Pies.
Advertisement

"I look at Buddy's body now and he might not get to nine or 10 (years). He (Grundy) is 26 (in April) but ruckmen are a different breed and they are only one jump and one bad landing and one knee hit away from not playing for a long time," Shaw said.
"I would have given him five. That would have been heaps. If he didn't want it, sometimes you have got to go to the well and (play) hard. He is a good player but the thing about Brodie is that he has become like a midfielder. Have a look at the last couple of premierships that have been won – they (teams) didn't have a dominant ruckman.

"They were competitive, (Toby) Nankervis (at Richmond)... it's not like you have to have a dominant ruckman to win. Look at the Western Bulldogs, they didn't have a dominant ruckman."
Grundy's best football is arguably still ahead of him and, with suitors already lining up, including from his home town of Adelaide, and with these offers set to escalate this year, because he could have explored free agency after this season, the Magpies had to ease their usual stance of not awarding long-term deals. The club had originally not wanted to offer more than five years.

"Good luck to him. I have no worries about him. He is a ripper but, to me, you are one jump, you are one contact, you are one bad fall away from doing your knee as a ruckman," Shaw said.
"You are in a higher stress area than any midfielder that I know. That's why I wouldn't go there. He has got to play until he is 33. He has taken a lot of work already, so his body is probably an older body for his sizing and the age.
"But they (Magpies) are in the (premiership) window and they probably wouldn't want to lose him over the next two years. They are paying overs for three years and hoping nothing happens in between."
Grundy will earn in the region of $1 million a year, making him one of the highest-paid ruckman in the game's history.
The specifics of the contract have not been divulged but the Magpies could face a salary-cap squeeze this year for Jordan de Goey, 24 next month, and Darcy Moore, who recently turned 24, are also off contract. Skipper Scott Pendlebury is also be chasing a new deal.

Grundy has been instrumental in the Magpies' resurgence over the past two seasons, having claimed successive best-and-fairest awards, and he will need to be again this year as they seek redemption for a shock preliminary-final defeat to Greater Western Sydney.
"We lost a grand final and a preliminary final but we should have won the preliminary. As a matter of fact, that last seven minutes of ruck work (against the Giants), it wasn't his (Grundy's) fault, but the organisation around the ruck work was horrible and there was probably a lack of leadership in those last seven minutes," Shaw said.
"I felt worse after the preliminary final loss last year than what I did in the grand final the year before."

When was the last Time Tony Shaw said anything in Positive in the Media about Collingwood?

I Can't

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back