List Mgmt. Trade & F/A - 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bruce and Finlayson have both made the switch successfully, Reid probably would have if not for having muscles made of tissue paper and Petty has made a decent fist of it so far. IMO, it’s a developing trend.
Reid did start AFL-life as a KPF when he was drafted.

Bruce and Finlayson have both made the switch successfully, Reid probably would have if not for having muscles made of tissue paper and Petty has made a decent fist of it so far. IMO, it’s a developing trend.
Reid was originally a forward who was shifted to defence though, so I’m not sure he’s a good example.

Reid was originally a forward who was shifted to defence though, so I’m not sure he’s a good example.
Reid did start AFL-life as a KPF when he was drafted.

He was a DPP as a junior ala Moore. I’d also argue that Reid’s fits the profile with his foray forward early a disaster. In 10 years time there’s every possibility we’re discussing Kelly in the same vein.

Just quietly on Petty, I hope he is one we keep a serious eye on this year. Out of contract at seasons end, and the Dee's are well stocked for KPP's.

197cm, 20year old who has shown ability at either end of the ground, could well be worth monitoring. Had quite a few fans in his draft year on this board to from memory.

He was a DPP as a junior ala Moore. I’d also argue that Reid’s fits the profile with his foray forward early a disaster. In 10 years time there’s every possibility we’re discussing Kelly in the same vein.
Fair enough, though I'm not sure I should Google DPP here at work.

Fair enough, though I'm not sure I should Google DPP here at work.

Dual Position Player. I should add that I’m personally less concerned with when the player spent time in the defensive role before transitioning though and more concerned with players that have shown an aptitude for it.

I feel that once you start to really whittle down your criteria you’re just looking for reasons why it can’t work rather than being open to it.

Yips with set shots aside, Reid actually showed a lot as a forward early days, so I think disaster is a big overstatement.

Yips with set shots aside, Reid actually showed a lot as a forward early days, so I think disaster is a big overstatement.

Used to have the same stuttering run up as Kennedy if I remember correctly?
The major difference being that Kennedy slotted them & Reid shanked them.

Would be a dream if we could beat Carlton to Tom Papley. He'd be the perfect non-KPP addition - he and Stephenson would wreak havoc together at ground level inside forward fifty.

Doubt we have lot of Room in the Salary Cap at years end.

We be more Sellers then Buyers at Next Trade Period

Used to have the same stuttering run up as Kennedy if I remember correctly?
The major difference being that Kennedy slotted them & Reid shanked them.

I can only remember 1 time that Reid did that and was vs Carlton and it was a total shank.

Was made fun of on They Footy Show

In 7 years time the Cap will have grown and the numbers will have a different look and feel about them.
Im not so sure that the cap will increase in the next rights negotiation.
FTA is dying, so they don’t have the money to splash. Foxtel is struggling, cutting minor sports from its schedule.
The AFL have recognised that and are investigating streaming from US owned platforms. Will this maintain or increase the rights take? I’m not so sure,

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You’d hope that the club would veto such a clause as a part of negotiations given the length and size of the contract he asked for, but they basically buckled on most of his demands so I’m not holding my breath.
I reckon it's a big assumption to assume the club buckled on most of his demands.

When you look at the early press reports that the two parties had agreed on money but not on the length of contract. That reads to me like Grundy asked for 7 years at x dollars. The club said we can pay you x dollars for 3 years, but not that much for 7 years. They then came to an agreement of 7 years at x-y dollars.
All assumption, but I'm very confident that it went down something like this. Club are happy because it reduces Grundy's yearly salary, thus enabling them to fit everyone into the cap. Grundy is happy because it gives him financial security, despite a reduction in the yearly salary that he could have commanded with a shorter term contract.

Dual Position Player. I should add that I’m personally less concerned with when the player spent time in the defensive role before transitioning though and more concerned with players that have shown an aptitude for it.

I feel that once you start to really whittle down your criteria you’re just looking for reasons why it can’t work rather than being open to it.

Yep. I'm pretty confident that AFL coaches are more interested in a player's skill set and whether it is best suited to forward or back, rather than where they played their junior or early senior footy.

In the past it was a reality that better, more skill athletes played forward in juniors and seniors and thus transition from defence to forward was rare, but that reality is changing. The skill sets for the respective positions are also changing.

Yep. I'm pretty confident that AFL coaches are more interested in a player's skill set and whether it is best suited to forward or back, rather than where they played their junior or early senior footy.

In the past it was a reality that better, more skill athletes played forward in juniors and seniors and thus transition from defence to forward was rare, but that reality is changing. The skill sets for the respective positions are also changing.

Plus personality. U18 coaches get access to some of these kids on a very limited basis due to school commitments so the aim is to prepare them as thoroughly as possible to be drafted. That doesn’t necessarily translate to the next level where coaches get full time access.

It happens as the game has turned into a more possession based game coaches have realised its easier to get the ball when you play behind it. So they like putting their better players down back so they can dictate the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back