Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Embubry

Team Captain
Jan 31, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Whatever that process is, we have a very recent example of the medical either being flawed or overlooked, to the great detriment of the quality of our playing list.

Are you talking about Langdon? Or Beams? I dont think did any due diligence on Beams. That was a f*ck up of the highest order.

On the flip side, we also have the Stevie J example of not passing a medical with us and going on to win 3 premierships and a Norm Smith with Geelong.

partypie

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 26, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Green Bay Packers
I’ve said it before... and I don’t agree with it... but I could see the pies giving up a 1st for B Brown + Polec with North to pay portions of their wages.

After Wells, Mayne, Beams... This this seems to be the Collingwood way

Polec wouldn't get many games for us - bloke doesn't have a defensive bone in his body. Same thing happened at Norf once Rhys told him he needs to be better defensively and he just didn't (or perhaps couldn't) play the way they wanted him to.

Would be potentially good in a seagull role somewhere, maybe for a struggling team or one which is already strong defensively and needs a distributor at half back / wing.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
The arthroscopy has already been done

So they're waiting to see how the knee responds, hoping whatever they did fixed it? Or is more surgery required? It seems to leave little time to figure that out before a trade decision needs to be made. You'd be taking a punt on that knee.

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’m still open to Wright but can’t see a forwardline with cox and Wright. Unsure of his salary though it’s reportedly high.

Hogan is on 700k next year, wouldn’t want to touch that. From what I’ve seen of him this year, just doesn’t seem great. I have doubts about his off field stuff. Buyer beware to me.

McCarthy at best would be rookie listed.
If we got Wright we would be backing him to do the job and would let Cox go. We would get cap relief and a guy who is 5 years younger

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’m still open to Wright but can’t see a forwardline with cox and Wright. Unsure of his salary though it’s reportedly high.

Hogan is on 700k next year, wouldn’t want to touch that. From what I’ve seen of him this year, just doesn’t seem great. I have doubts about his off field stuff. Buyer beware to me.

McCarthy at best would be rookie listed.

Hogan (when fit and in right headspace) of those 3 is the best player not sure he's leaving Freo though.

I worry about wrights lack of physicality.

So they're waiting to see how the knee responds, hoping whatever they did fixed it? Or is more surgery required? It seems to leave little time to figure that out before a trade decision needs to be made. You'd be taking a punt on that knee.
Exactly.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Brown seems a bit like when we off loaded Sav Rocca to North. Sav still kicked goals, lovely guy but just lacked the grunt to be a true power forward. Brown is OK but I am not sure he can drive you to a flag.

We didn’t “offload Sav to North”.

We delisted him and north picked him up for nothing.

He went on to a good six year career at North averaging 2.3 goals. That was down on his output at Collingwood of 3.2 goals but still a solid career overall.

Savs main problem was that structurally there wasn’t room for him and his brother in the same forward line.

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood

He went on to a good six year career at North averaging 2.3 goals. That was down on his output at Collingwood of 3.2 goals but still a solid career overall.

Savs main problem was that structurally there wasn’t room for him and his brother in the same forward line.

Of course there was room Anth played at CHF for large parts of his career with us.

Could of had Sav deep Anthony chf and taz HF rotating deep with sav.

workhorse

Premiership Player
Nov 13, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
It was a blocking free kick to Maynard from doing so.

If we can get Brown for decent unders then you'd snap him up in a heartbeat.

Don't worry mate I know, I was there :pensive:

Unfortunately that team has come and gone - there's probably at least 6-7 players from that side who, sadly, won't ever be as consistently good as they were that year. I'd argue Mihocek and Cox could fall in that bracket. That said, this isn't about getting rid of those 2, it's about going after Brown. I'm just shocked there's so much resistance against it, and the argument that what we've got is good enough has been proven, in 2019 and 2020, to be wrong.

Even if (incredibly big and extremely unlikely if) we pull off the most incredible Premiership win this October, Ben Brown would still make us a better side.

Are you talking about Langdon? Or Beams? I dont think did any due diligence on Beams. That was a f*ck up of the highest order.
Beams. Either we didn’t do our due diligence on Beams, or we did and it was disregarded/overruled.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rusty Beam

Premiership Player
Sep 30, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hogan (when fit and in right headspace) of those 3 is the best player not sure he's leaving Freo though.

I worry about wrights lack of physicality.

Absolutely. He has so many more strings to his bow than Brown.

At the right price he is still my man.

Don’t get me wrong Brown is still an upgrade on Cox. But Cox is still contracted for another year. Which we would have to carry anyway, unless we can offload him.

I think we will get just as frustrated at Brown getting pushed under the ball and unable to apply the slightest bit of defensive pressure as we do with Cox.

Captain Embubry

Team Captain
Jan 31, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Beams. Either we didn’t due our due diligence on Beams, or we did and it was disregarded/overruled.

Whatever the situation was with Beams, we absolutely cannot allow that to happen again.

I would hope though that the medicos we likely used (if any) to check Beams mental fragility would not be the same ones we'd use to determine the health of Brown's knee. That would be ludicrous.

I think we all have the feeling too that Beams was heavily influenced by Ed.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Of course there was room Anth played at CHF for large parts of his career with us.

Could of had Sav deep Anthony chf and taz HF rotating deep with sav.

Malthouse thought otherwise. He preferred Jarrod Molloy ( and gave away Mal Michael in the process).

Regardless, Sav should have had trade value. To delist him was shocking list management. He went on for another six years, 101 games, and 234 goals.

And then an NFL career!

Bottom line and back on topic, Browns career has been outstanding and one bad year shouldn’t affect that.

As long as he passes the physical

Rusty Beam

Premiership Player
Sep 30, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood

More draft related.

But based on this article and the reference to the bulldogs, I reckon we are planning on trading our future first next year for their first this year.

Obviously to avoid having to use it on Daicos and likewise for them with Ugle-Hagan.

soreplums

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2009
malvern
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Red Sox

I still think that is rubbish, particularly the way the game was played back then.

soreplums

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2009
malvern
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Red Sox
Im not sure what you’re arguing about. Just stating facts that Sav wasn’t offloaded to North, he was delisted

And ended up playing for another six years at a high level.
Sorry, I only skimmed over the posts.

My beef is with MM over this one for the points that you explained.

1. I think he could have still played alongside Anthony.

2.He still had a role to play and would have been very handy in 2002/93 GF’s.

3. The fact that he was delisted was crazy. How we could not have at least got something in return for him is mind blowing.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Absolutely. He has so many more strings to his bow than Brown.

At the right price he is still my man.

Don’t get me wrong Brown is still an upgrade on Cox. But Cox is still contracted for another year. Which we would have to carry anyway, unless we can offload him.

I think we will get just as frustrated at Brown getting pushed under the ball and unable to apply the slightest bit of defensive pressure as we do with Cox.

We would forgive those sins if he could kick 60 goals as he managed three years running prior to this year

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sorry, I only skimmed over the posts.

My beef is with MM over this one for the points that you explained.

1. I think he could have still played alongside Anthony.

2.He still had a role to play and would have been very handy in 2002/93 GF’s.

3. The fact that he was delisted was crazy. How we could not have at least got something in return for him is mind blowing.

We picked up Leigh Brown the same way so North eventually returned the favour!

Football God

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 26, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man utd, miami dolphins

More draft related.

But based on this article and the reference to the bulldogs, I reckon we are planning on trading our future first next year for their first this year.

Obviously to avoid having to use it on Daicos and likewise for them with Ugle-Hagan.
If Daicos goes at Pick 1 next year would we still have enough points to outbid the team that’s picked him and we have no 1st rd pick ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back