List Mgmt. Trade for ready made or draft?

Draft v Trade

• Draft. Invest youth.

Votes: 27 79.4%
  • Trade. Ready to go

Votes: 7 20.6%

• Total voters
Jul 3, 2008
eastern-most tiger in the nation
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
We may trade out picks to teams to get a limited or FA. I expect some of the cap space to free with a couple retirements such as houli or a 4 time premiership forward jack riewoldt!
houli should definitely retire. Riewoldt and Astbury are trickier. I'd offer them one year contracts. On reduced dollars. Astbury is covered anyhow with Balta as the tall and Grimes and Broad as the mediums. Grimes is in good condition. With Nyoun or Garth able to slot in. The forward line has been Lynch JR and a ruck/KPF. The ruck/KPF spot is the troublesome position. Chol is not quite up to it. CJ has played one game. Miller, zero.
Post Riewoldt. Maybe CJ to play the true KPF position with a lot of ruck back up. and to compensate his height and pace Caddy. A very good player who can't find a spot.
My list prioties are resigning Bolton, Balta, vlas, Prestia etc first and see how we go with cap space for Dave, Jack.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
You have options for both strategies and then wait to see how the year goes and make the call then.

E.g. if we've suddenly been worked out and half our older players retire or have huge drop off in form then its time to rebuild.

If we go really close again or win it and look like we could go again with a boost then you have a crack at trading out and see if you can milk another flag from the group in the next 2 years.

You don't make these decisions in February though.

Grechy

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, Houston Rockets
You have options for both strategies and then wait to see how the year goes and make the call then.

E.g. if we've suddenly been worked out and half our older players retire or have huge drop off in form then its time to rebuild.

If we go really close again or win it and look like we could go again with a boost then you have a crack at trading out and see if you can milk another flag from the group in the next 2 years.

You don't make these decisions in February though.

We take the piss for half the year as well so hard to judge. Haha.

Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
i say draft. our group is getting older and theres a few key holes (after retirements) without any obvious replacements at the moment. our young midfield talent is worryingly thin.

plus we've seen that going the experienced route doesnt work and just ends up in teams sacrificing draft picks to try and stay up, but merely delaying the inevitable and then falling in a massive hole (brisbane, hawks, sydney, carlton post ratten, stkilda kinda). the only reason the cats can do it is because they can cheat it by using free agency to sell the beach/farm life to homesick babies.

going the draft route doesnt mean bottoming right down to last. we should be able to stay around 12-10th spot with smart recruiting for a few years and then head back up again when guys like rioli, graham, castagna, baker, short etc are hitting their mid-late 20s, just like the current group.
Midfield depth seems okay to me. Ross is genuinely unlucky not to be playing. He is plug and play replacement for Cotch. Then we have stack who could play there. RCD showed quite a bit in the vfl. Caddy possibly. Maybe George, and Aarts as small fwd.

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
Midfield depth seems okay to me. Ross is genuinely unlucky not to be playing. He is plug and play replacement for Cotch. Then we have stack who could play there. RCD showed quite a bit in the vfl. Caddy possibly. Maybe George, and Aarts as small fwd.
ill give you ross. RCD showing 'a bit' in the vfl after 3 years doesnt mean a lot, stack probably isnt at the club next year, caddy will retire with the current crop, and george/aarts are small forwards who could pinch hit at times.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
ill give you ross. RCD showing 'a bit' in the vfl after 3 years doesnt mean a lot, stack probably isnt at the club next year, caddy will retire with the current crop, and george/aarts are small forwards who could pinch hit at times.

Caddy is 28 and 4 months

Marcel Proust

Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
exactly, so hes in the same 28-30 year old age group as prestia, lambert, cotchin, martin, with edwards also 32. oh and throw in pickett at 29 as well if you want.

Caddy is four years younger than richmonds oldest players.

I'm not sure if we have to be concerned about him retiring any time soon?

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
Caddy is four years younger than richmonds oldest players.

I'm not sure if we have to be concerned about him retiring any time soon?
the point was the whole midfield group being the same age and retiring within a few years of each other. the only starting midfielder we have under 28 years old is graham, and other than ross we dont have anyone coming up with any exposed form to know if theyll even be a solid player. its not a problem now because we are winning flags, but when considering whether we draft or top up our lack of young midfield talent has to be a concern.

Marcel Proust

Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
the point was the whole midfield group being the same age and retiring within a few years of each other. the only starting midfielder we have under 28 years old is graham, and other than ross we dont have anyone coming up with any exposed form to know if theyll even be a solid player. its not a problem now because we are winning flags, but when considering whether we draft or top up our lack of young midfield talent has to be a concern.

Caddy isn't even in the best 22.

I am surprised by the pool results.

It's rare you have the talent of lynch. Martin. Vlastuin. Etc. In a team.

It would be nice to continuously draft kids and stay at the too but the reality is the tigers might need to keep topping up.

To keep the window open during the dusty and co. Era

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
Caddy isn't even in the best 22.

I am surprised by the pool results.

It's fairly rate you have the talent of lynch. Martin. Vlastuin. Etc. In a team.

It would be nice to continuously draft kids and stay at the too but the reality is the tigers might need to keep topping up.

To keep the window open during the dusty and co. Era
i think we have 1, maybe 2 years max till the retirements start. if we top up it can only be for this next draft/trade period but after that we need to go to the draft pool or else we likely top up to stay 8-4th and then fall off a cliff like pretty much every other team (bar geelong) who've tried that.

even of the current best 22, only nank, lynch, prestia and hoili are from other clubs, and only prestia and lynch were over 22 when we traded for them. every other player has been drafted by our club, and not that many with high picks. the club has gotten to where it is now by drafting well, we should back them to do the same again.

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond

Collier-Dawkins has had one year in the VFL, his first year, 2019. He wasn’t dominant throughout the season but showed glimpses. He finished that season off really well with a telling performance in the Grand Final, which we won by a kick.

2020 he did not play a proper game of footy at any point. Also suffered an injury at a point that may have robbed him of a chance to debut I think. The club re-signed him ahead of others though and Hardwick sounded really bullish on him in recent comments.

This year is his third year and we will be in a much better position to judge him after this season.

Marcel Proust

Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
i think we have 1, maybe 2 years max till the retirements start. if we top up it can only be for this next draft/trade period but after that we need to go to the draft pool or else we likely top up to stay 8-4th and then fall off a cliff like pretty much every other team (bar geelong) who've tried that.

even of the current best 22, only nank, lynch, prestia and hoili are from other clubs, and only prestia and lynch were over 22 when we traded for them. every other player has been drafted by our club, and not that many with high picks. the club has gotten to where it is now by drafting well, we should back them to do the same again.

The club has already invested time and picks into graham. Ross. Dow. RCD.

And the speculative types like stack(?) Martyn Ralph etc.

Is it wise to add more 18 year old mids when the window is very open now?

Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
exactly, so hes in the same 28-30 year old age group as prestia, lambert, cotchin, martin, with edwards also 32. oh and throw in pickett at 29 as well if you want.
It'd be good to stagger Cotch and Edwards retirement. Edwards is impossible to replace. If we win this year
I'm happy for players to be playing until 32. As long as their bodies are holding up.
Houli should retire end of 21. As long as we can resign all the young players out of contract, Dave and JR, end of 22. Cotch Grimes 2023. Edwards?

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
The club has already invested time and picks into graham. Ross. Dow. RCD.

And the speculative types like stack(?) Martyn Ralph etc.

Is it wise to add more 18 year old mids when the window is very open now?
I think yellow meant we should trade again like we did with Prestia, nank etc.
I'm with the 'tail' on that.
I'll wait and see if RCD and CCJ look like they are players or not.
oops forgot Galluci. Might end up playing games. I rate Stack too. If he can play a bit late in the year I'd be tempted to resign him. Both on rookie wages But if all else fails go free agency

Last edited:
I think we should keep our draft picks. Use free agency to get players like himelberg from the Giants. Our draft picks should only be used to trade up in the draft to obtain youth of a higher standing. Players like himelburg will not require a draft pick. The Giants would take the compensation the AFL provides.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Draft a tall mobile 193-6cm max. forward. Try and find the next Riewoldt, good in the air good on the deck. It is the biggest gap in our list. It might take two drafts.

Marcel Proust

Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Draft a tall mobile 193-6cm max. forward. Try and find the next Riewoldt, good in the air good on the deck. It is the biggest gap in our list. It might take two drafts.

Alex Lukic (Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro)
7/01/2003 | 195cm/86kg
Key Forward

Lukic is an athletic tall forward who fares particularly well close to goal. After leading the Under 16 Division 1 goalkicking with nine majors, he made his NAB League debut in a stacked Oakleigh side and showed plenty of promise. Has good speed and can compete at ground level.

Jacob Van Rooyen (Claremont/Western Australia)
16/04/2003 | 194cm/88kg
Key Forward

A dominant key forward with terrific aerial presence, Van Rooyen is one of the leading prospects in his position for 2021. He booted 19 goals in 10 WAFL Colts games this season, finding the big sticks at least once in each outing

Back