Recruiting Trade & Free Agency IV - hypotheticals etc. (Continued in Part V)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It really wouldn't. Dea is a medium defender playing tall out of necessity. Going into a season with 5 key defenders (as well as Hooker) would actually be really smart.
Don't forget Ridley either I expect him to play the 3rd tall role down back in a few years. I can see the club going with Ambrose, Hurley and Ridley as our tall defenders for the future with guys like Brown and Hartley for depth and would like to grab another tall in the draft aswell. Someone like Balta would be good because he is athletic and can play both ends if needed. Some decent tall defenders in this draft include Aaron Naughton and Sam Taylor from WA, Ethan Phillips from Oakleigh, Alex Paech from Murray and Harrison Nolan from Eastern. All those guys are in the mix for 2nd and 3rd round picks.

There are four mature age prospects in the VFL I'd like us to consider:

3. Tom Goodwin (Coburg): Best ruckman in the VFL as far I'm concerned, rarely gets beaten and if he isn't on a list at the end of the season I'd be shocked and pissed off.

Taking your Coburg glasses off for a second he barely broke even with Draper on the weekend and some of his efforts were around the ground were not even VFL standard.

Taking your Coburg glasses off for a second he barely broke even with Draper on the weekend and some of his efforts were around the ground were not even VFL standard.

Based on reports, I'd suggest he didn't even break even - Draper has been beastly this year at stages.

I didn't see the weekend's game but in every other game he's been excellent. He's getting 30 hitouts a game and 14 touches a game generally.

Have read a few comments about Hooker back or Stewart out if we were to sign Schache.

I doubt that Schache is a starting 22 player early next year it's not what I would recruit him for in any event. The required work rate of the forwards is huge and will stay that way. That's even before we discuss his current form and that of Hooker and to a less extent Stewart.

I'm not necessarily against recruiting him, even for our first pick, but that assumes that he can be signed on Laverde/Francis/Langford money (being what I assume is normal overs for encouraging youth) or even slightly more, and more importantly assuming that by the end of the year Laverde and Langford are starting 22 players with hopefully Begley and Mutch having shown signs at AFL level.

The midfield is currently a bigger concern particularly when we are still reliant on Watson and Goddard. We've got age and contract length on our side when it comes to recruiting the next key forward. It would be strange to tie up the use of our first pick this year on a key forward who we don't really need and might not even use regularly before 2019.

The appeal of Schache is that he'll enter his prime with the 2014-2016 players (whereas the next guy isan extra 2-3 years away) and he's potentially an elite key forward. He should not be dismissed because he is struggling this year. He had a good year last year given the quality of the support and supply.
Schache is the ideal recruit to replace Hooker long term.
But you can't sign a kid on 700k a year and play him in the VFL for 1-2 seasons.

Not the worst problem to have is some KPF pressure on positions.
Also covers us for injuries.
But the $$ we'd have in Hooker, Daniher and Schache next year would be huge.

Another option is to use Daniher in the ruck (i hate saying it). If the bounce goes though, Daniher would dominate most rucks. He lands on his feet well, covers the ground nicely and would probably have a similar goal output
That would mean we'd run Hooker, Schache & Stewart while we develop Draper.

Next year would be:
Daniher Heppell Watson
Merrett Myers Zaka
Green Stewart Tippa
Schache Hooker Fantasia

2019/20 would look like:
Draper Heppell Laverde
Merrett Parish Langford
Green Daniher Tippa
Stewart Schache Fantasia

I didn't see the weekend's game but in every other game he's been excellent. He's getting 30 hitouts a game and 14 touches a game generally.

He has had 30 or more hit outs in 1 of his 6 games. 2 games with under 20 hit outs including a whopping 16 against your current favourite AFL listed ruckman Andrew Phillips.

Based on reports, I'd suggest he didn't even break even - Draper has been beastly this year at stages.

Beastly is not a word to describe Draper at any stage of this year, (Not from the 4 games I've seen him in IMO) Some of his ruck work is really clinical and really pure though, great technician in that sense. Nice to see the club has learned quickly that for him to improve is to play him as the #1 ruck. It was a waste seeing him basically doing laps on the boundary line in the game against Port Melbourne, with TBC as the F/T ruck.

He has had 30 or more hit outs in 1 of his 6 games. 2 games with under 20 hit outs including a whopping 16 against your current favourite AFL listed ruckman Andrew Phillips.
That's not what they've told me at Coburg, guess the internal stats must be different. Re the game vs Phillips he got a corkie 10 minutes into the second quarter and missed the rest of the game.

That's not what they've told me at Coburg, guess the internal stats must be different. Re the game vs Phillips he got a corkie 10 minutes into the second quarter and missed the rest of the game.

So a player who averages 13 disposals, and 21 hit outs, had 10 disposals and 16 hit outs in just over a quarter and a bit and got a corkie and went off for the rest of the game? Must've been playing the game of his life!

'Internal stats' it's the VFL mate, you could do the stats for them if you sent them a polite email.

Would Jacob Ballard be a mature aged we look at in the RD? Big inside mid ready to go. Since moving to SYD I have no idea what's going on in the VFL or who is playing well.. thoughts?

coming around to tsitas but I don't know too much about his game.

However I REALLY want ferry, would compliment Hurley and ambrose beautifully.
However that means the end to Brown or Dea. There is no way we take all of Brown, Hartley, ferry, Dea and ambrose into the season as they are all similar players (ambrose is safe though obviously)

You have litterally picked the four positions we are well stacked in for top end talent.

As 'mature aged' players, youd expect them to pressure the senior guys to which none of these would do so.

If i was looking at guys from the VFL itd be;

Eli Templeton - former Saints rookie who is knockingup some big numbers at Port Melbourne as a mid/fwd. Pace and an eye fr goal are two things wecould use depth in

Dillon Viojo -Rainbow- running defender who takes the game on. Been very good in defence fr the Borough.

The two standouts for me at this stage

You have litterally picked the four positions we are well stacked in for top end talent.

As 'mature aged' players, youd expect them to pressure the senior guys to which none of these would do so.

Eli Templeton - former Saints rookie who is knockingup some big numbers at Port Melbourne as a mid/fwd. Pace and an eye fr goal are two things wecould use depth in

Dillon Viojo -Rainbow- running defender who takes the game on. Been very good in defence fr the Borough.

I would take DVR just for the lols if we could get him up and going.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would Jacob Ballard be a mature aged we look at in the RD? Big inside mid ready to go. Since moving to SYD I have no idea what's going on in the VFL or who is playing well.. thoughts?
From what I've seen he gets a lot of the ball without having too much of an impact.

I think we need an extra key defender. I'd rather not have Dea play tall, 2 injuries to Hurley/Hartley/Ambrose/Brown and we're in a tough place. Another depth inside mid is needed.

Find Fogarty & Brisbane an interesting conundrum.
Their luck with interstate early picks isn't great.
Then you add Schache potentially leaving.

Wonder if they'd go an SA kid
Strikes me that guys like Ainsworth/McCluggage/Brodie won't have issues playing in QLD. Wonder if Brisbane will start taking this into consideration.
Perhaps even weighing up where the kid most likely not to leave is projected, and trade pick 1 into that pick plus get something else in return.

I think we'd end up going a future 1st plus a second this year
His current output and on field output isn't doing Brisbane any favours.

I imagine we'd drop Stewart for Schache (harsh as it is) or send Hooker back eventually and run Daniher, Schache and Stewart.
He's a potential 6 goal a game forward. Well worth the investment. Hooker is 28. Daniher & Stewart in their low 20's.
The 3 of them would line up together for the next 8 years.
Rofl yeah he is a132 goal a season prospect.

An earlier post said he would be unstoppable at Essendon. Didn't think that could be topped.

I think people look at the #2 without actually watching him play.

Sent from my F3115 using Tapatalk

Strikes me that guys like Ainsworth/McCluggage/Brodie won't have issues playing in QLD. Wonder if Brisbane will start taking this into consideration.
Perhaps even weighing up where the kid most likely not to leave is projected, and trade pick 1 into that pick plus get something else in return.
If im a club with Pick 1 im taking Fogarty no matter what, he is too good to pass up even if he does want to leave he would attract a very high price. Lions need as much quality as they can get and that should be their focus over anything else.

There are four mature age prospects in the VFL I'd like us to consider:

1. James Ferry (Essendon VFL): Fez is a key defender who has good intercept skills and a good kick. Should be right on our radar as he turns 23 in November and could be a 7-8 year player.

2. James Tsitas (Geelong VFL): Bloke is probably leading the Cats BnF right now. Inside midfielder who has good kicking skill and can go forward and kick goals too.

3. Tom Goodwin (Coburg): Best ruckman in the VFL as far I'm concerned, rarely gets beaten and if he isn't on a list at the end of the season I'd be shocked and pissed off.

4. Hisham Kerbatieh (Coburg): As a Category B rookie if possible. Doubt it happens though.
The Essendon players next to me we're laughing at how bad there ruckman was. Some of his errors were comical. He makes TBC look like Walla. Must be a different ruckman to the one you are talking about?

The Essendon players next to me we're laughing at how bad there ruckman was. Some of his errors were comical. He makes TBC look like Walla. Must be a different ruckman to the one you are talking about?

Probably Kovacevic. He's an out and out spud.

Did you see his effort where he was 20m clear of anyone, just had to pick up the ball and walk into an open goal. Looked like he was in slow motion and then tripped over his own feet before getting to the ball. Mind you he was that slow that the ess defender almost made up the ground.

The Essendon boys we're in stitches. Lol

They may be a little gun shy after Polec leaving.

AFL really needs to help out the Lions I think!

The kids that get drafted go in with the mentality that if they don't enjoy their time there they can just leave!

If im a club with Pick 1 im taking Fogarty no matter what, he is too good to pass up even if he does want to leave he would attract a very high price. Lions need as much quality as they can get and that should be their focus over anything else.
it keeps resetting them though.
They've had talent through the door.
Yeo & Docherty are AA quality.
Schache is one of the best forwards to come through the junior ranks since Daniher.
Polec & Longer i would put in the decent B grade category.

I thought Schache was better than Weitering and Brisbane lucked out given he seemed keen to continue the name at the club.
Gotta wonder if they don't wish now they'd gone Oliver (or Parish to pair with Matho) and not be concerning themselves with this stuff again.

Rofl yeah he is a132 goal a season prospect.

An earlier post said he would be unstoppable at Essendon. Didn't think that could be topped.

I think people look at the #2 without actually watching him play.

I watched the TAC cup a lot that year (we had Pick 4 and the prospect of another decent one for Carlisle).
Schache dominated.
Clarified my 6 goal a game forward comment as not being every game, but capable of the hauls on more than a handful of times.
Mobile, leads and marks very strongly and is a very good kick. I reckon he has regular 6+ games. Lynch is the only other forward in the comp who i reckon can do that (maybe Cameron given his lift in work rate this year).

Stiff as it would be, i would trade a 1st and 2nd for him, run him in the VFL until ready then replace Stewart, with a view to bring Stewart in for injuries/rest until he eventually replaces Hooker.

Daniher - Schache - Stewart is a strong tall forward set.

Schache is the ideal recruit to replace Hooker long term.
But you can't sign a kid on 700k a year and play him in the VFL for 1-2 seasons.

Not the worst problem to have is some KPF pressure on positions.
Also covers us for injuries.
But the $$ we'd have in Hooker, Daniher and Schache next year would be huge.

Another option is to use Daniher in the ruck (i hate saying it). If the bounce goes though, Daniher would dominate most rucks. He lands on his feet well, covers the ground nicely and would probably have a similar goal output
That would mean we'd run Hooker, Schache & Stewart while we develop Draper.

Next year would be:
Daniher Heppell Watson
Merrett Myers Zaka
Green Stewart Tippa
Schache Hooker Fantasia

2019/20 would look like:
Draper Heppell Laverde
Merrett Parish Langford
Green Daniher Tippa
Stewart Schache Fantasia

Daniher playing in the ruck to fit in an under-performing Schache just because we are paying Schache $700k a year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back