Saturday September 25

Draft Combine – Vic Country
Friday October 1

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday October 3 - Monday October 15

Trade Period (picks and players)
Monday October 4 (9am) – Wednesday October 13 (7.30pm)

Draft Combines (States and Regions)
VM: Saturday October 9 (tbc)
Qld: Sunday October 10

Tas: Monday October 11
SA: Saturday October 16

WA: Sunday October 17
NSW&ACT: tbc
NT: will join SA or Qld

Trade Period (picks only)
Monday October 18 – Monday November 15

List Lodgement 1
Friday October 29

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday November 3 (9am) – Tuesday November 9 (5pm)

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Wednesday November 10 (2pm)

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Thursday November 11 (9am) – Monday November 15 (5pm)

Draft Nominations Due
Wednesday November 17 (3pm)

Pre-Season Commences (First to fourth year players)
Monday November 22

National Draft
Round 1: Wednesday November 24 (7pm)
Round 2–end: Thursday November 25 (7pm)

Rookie Upgrade Period
Thursday November 25 (10pm) - Thursday November 25 (11pm)

Delisted Free Agency Window 3
Thursday November 25 (10pm) - Thursday November 25 (11pm)

Pre-Selected Rookie Nominations Due (Includes Academy, Father/Son)
Friday November 26 (12pm) - Friday November 26 (12.30pm)

Preseason Draft
Friday November 26 (3pm)

Pre-Selected Rookie Notification
Friday November 26 (3.15pm)

Rookie Draft
Friday November 26 (3.20pm)

Final List Lodgement
Monday November 29 (4pm)

Pre-Season Commences (All other players)
Monday December 6

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
December - March (tbc)
Current Contract Status
2021 Draft Watch
Father/Son and NGA
Adrian Dodoro

Last edited:
So you want to use a list spot for 2 games a year?

Are people forgetting St Kilda dropped him for round 23? That is how he was rated there. Our worst statistics in the league were on defensive transition from our F50 to our D50, and our opponents intercept marking in the F50. We were bottom 3 in the league for both. You have in Dunstan a player who Saints fans criticise for his lack of defense outside the immediate contest, and who averaged 5 turnovers a match. i.e. he is going to make both our worst stats even worse.

I just think he'll be a whipping boy inside 10 games, and hold up the development of a kid.
Dunstan does defend. He ranks elite for intercepts and pressure acts and above average for tackling. All are very crucial to defending D50 to F50 transitions.
He ranks 13th for pressure acts alongside some of the best defending mids in the competition. We're talking Steele, Jarryd Lyons, Oliver, Touk Miller, Harmes and Hugh Greenwood. He's ahead of the likes of Andrew Brayshaw, Merrett, Sam Walsh, Taranto, Taylor Adams, Tim Kelly etc.

St Kilda fans are comparing Dunstan to the likes of Steele. Our whole midfield would look very poor defensively when you compare it to Steele who averages 8.5 tackles per game. Compared to our midfield, Dunstan would be one of our best two-way running mid. No idea why Ratten chose to drop Dunstan when his highs were only surpassed by Steele. I feel that he was treated a little harsher than other mids (ahem Crouch/Ross) and the brownlow votes confirm that.

His kicking is poor and he's on the slow side, but that's common for inside mids. Parish was a terrible kick prior to this year, Danger completely butchers it, Cripps, Dunkley + Treloar aren't great kicks etc etc. We're not getting an A-grade player, but he certainly is a very solid role player that addresses a need.

I get that you'd rather give games to someone else, but saying that we'd be worse off with Dunstan is being somewhat disingenuous given what he'd bring to the side.

Last edited:

You don't think guys like Cox, Langford, Merrett, Perkins, Durham* provide enough outside class? Even Shiel for that matter

* I probably haven't seen enough of Durham to comment but I remember he was talked up as a good kick before being drafted
I’d say Cox, Perkins and Durham are unproven but with potential. I’m comfortable Cox will make it, not sure on the others. I don’t think that’s enough.

But he's mediocre. St Kilda is delisting him and nobody is jumping to take him for free.

We'll be able to get a player like that in 2023. Use the next two years to develop the kids, assess our weaknesses in 2023, and if we still need that player type pick one up via trade/FA at that time.
The Suns pushed Lyons out the door

Isn't one of the knocks on Dunstan that he doesn't defend outside of the contest?

I think the knock has been he lacks the spread from the contest which ties in to average defending.
Similar to Heppell in the midfield. Lack of pace gets exposed .

I’d say Cox, Perkins and Durham are unproven but with potential. I’m comfortable Cox will make it, not sure on the others. I don’t think that’s enough.
With Zaharakis we've lost a player who can reliably think his way through an attacking situation and kick a goal, but couldn't defend well. With Perkins we've found a player who is willing to defend but hasn't yet the polish or composure thinking his way through an attack or finishing with the goal. I'm confident Perko can develop that composure though, and will end up a more complete player than Zaka.

That’s not true. He was delisted.
www.foxsports.com.au/afl/the-unsung-influence-behind-gold-coast-suns-jarryd-lyons-shock-defection-to-brisbane-lions/news-story/408bfa13e8861d88d20421a60b2e39ba

The trade period had come and gone with little mention of Lyons. The Suns were content to keep him and he was happy to stay, albeit acutely aware too much NEAFL football could spell the end of his career.

Enter the Brisbane Lions and list manager Dom Ambrogio, who has been an unsung influence and driving force behind the club’s ambitious trade and player acquisition strategy.

A three-year deal was tabled, complete with a strong suggestion of coaching development.

After a week of deliberation the offer proved too enticing to pass up.

So Lyons, who had become a respected and well-liked figure in his 24 months at the Suns, cautiously suggested to Gold Coast they delist him. He was prepared to fight for his spot and stay, but Brisbane’s approach put the cat among the pigeons — in a good way.

He was delisted because the Brisbane offer was to good to resist.

The Sun's were happy to keep him.

Oh God please. Even if it turns out he sucks I just want the need acknowledged.

This is probably the most frustrating thing from us the fans of the last 4 years.

The complete disregard that we actually need a bigger bodied mid (via draft).

Acknowledge it, own it, make it happen and many sitting on the fence for you Adrian will start to believe in you again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is probably the most frustrating thing from us the fans of the last 4 years.

Acknowledge it, own it, make it happen and many sitting on the fence for you Adrian will start to believe in you again

Ok, then what big bodied mids have we passed on that were around about any of our picks at the time over the last 5-6 years?

I have one, being Taranto at pick 1 in 2016. Though at the time the consensus was McCluggage or McGrath and no one was taking Taranto then at 1 in the media.

But its not like we have consistently skipped over big bodied mids when we had the chance to get one around about our pick

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok, then what big bodied mids have we passed on that were around about any of our picks at the time over the last 5-6 years?

I have one, being Taranto at pick 1 in 2016. Though at the time the consensus was McCluggage or McGrath and no one was taking Taranto then at 1 in the media.

But its not like we have consistently skipped over big bodied mids when we had the chance to get one around about our pick
The 'media consensus' was only around McGrath and McCluggage at pick 1, because that is who Essendon was focussed on. In hindsight, we should have been looking at Taranto.

The other way to look at it is that BBMs have constantly been skipped because there are none on the list. So in essence we have passed on them all.

edit: I don't want to get into a debate about hindsight drafting. All I'm suggesting is that the drafting team has valued other qualities or positions in preference to larger midfield bodies.

Last edited:

It's also, and just as importantly, the raw aggression the guy supposedly brings.

Today we're going to see a superheavyweight midfield bout, something our midfield has never been exposed to because it has never played in an important enough match.

We're going to see if it is even possible to use speed to stay ahead of the contest at this level of intensity.

I think we all know the answer/what the outcome will be which is why we've stopped asking the question.

Instead of looking at who we passed on and clear errors that have been made how about we look at the reserves midfields of the two sides as well as the other 7 finalists. That will pretty well tell the entire story I’d think

Instead of looking at who we passed on and clear errors that have been made how about we look at the reserves midfields of the two sides as well as the other 7 finalists. That will pretty well tell the entire story I’d think
Yep. We were into Lipinski who looks Collingwood bound and we're going after West.

Seen it in a few places, just hasn't been said in the media yet
180cm...
If we're going after both Dunstan and West, and if we're looking at West for a mid role, maybe that now puts paid to Erasmus or Goater. On the other hand, if West is going to be mostly forward, maybe that's Clarke gone. Not sure how much better or worse than Clarke he is.

Yep. We were into Lipinski who looks Collingwood bound and we're going after West.

All well and good, but seriously, lay it all out and the people that might be on the fence or thinking otherwise may jump on board.

The one advantage we have over everyone else is in the ruck but the Dees could trot out Jones, Melksham, VandenBerg, Jordon and even Hunt.

Bulldogs likewise with Wallis, Lipinski, West, Hayes, Cavarra and Richards.

Not massive men but it’s the reason why we essentially never beat them in the VFL, I’m probably missing players as well.

We haven’t even bothered selecting one which suggests we have a complete disregard of acknowledging we need one.

All well and good, but seriously, lay it all out and the people that might be on the fence or thinking otherwise may jump on board.

The one advantage we have over everyone else is in the ruck but the Dees could trot out Jones, Melksham, VandenBerg, Jordon and even Hunt.

Bulldogs likewise with Wallis, Lipinski, West, Hayes, Cavarra and Richards.

Not massive men but it’s the reason why we essentially never beat them in the VFL, I’m probably missing players as well.

Meanwhile our VFL midfield consists of VFL players and better than average (VFL standard) flankers pretending to be VFL midfielders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back