Saturday September 25

Draft Combine – Vic Country
Friday October 1

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday October 3 - Monday October 15

Trade Period (picks and players)
Monday October 4 (9am) – Wednesday October 13 (7.30pm)

Draft Combines (States and Regions)
VM: Saturday October 9 (tbc)
Qld: Sunday October 10

Tas: Monday October 11
SA: Saturday October 16

WA: Sunday October 17
NSW&ACT: tbc
NT: will join SA or Qld

Trade Period (picks only)
Monday October 18 – Monday November 15

List Lodgement 1
Friday October 29

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday November 3 (9am) – Tuesday November 9 (5pm)

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Wednesday November 10 (2pm)

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Thursday November 11 (9am) – Monday November 15 (5pm)

Draft Nominations Due
Wednesday November 17 (3pm)

Pre-Season Commences (First to fourth year players)
Monday November 22

National Draft
Round 1: Wednesday November 24 (7pm)
Round 2–end: Thursday November 25 (7pm)

Rookie Upgrade Period
Thursday November 25 (10pm) - Thursday November 25 (11pm)

Delisted Free Agency Window 3
Thursday November 25 (10pm) - Thursday November 25 (11pm)

Pre-Selected Rookie Nominations Due (Includes Academy, Father/Son)
Friday November 26 (12pm) - Friday November 26 (12.30pm)

Preseason Draft
Friday November 26 (3pm)

Pre-Selected Rookie Notification
Friday November 26 (3.15pm)

Rookie Draft
Friday November 26 (3.20pm)

Final List Lodgement
Monday November 29 (4pm)

Pre-Season Commences (All other players)
Monday December 6

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
December - March (tbc)
Current Contract Status
2021 Draft Watch
Father/Son and NGA
Adrian Dodoro

Last edited:
That being said we have proven that buying players low and plugging them in a good system can work
Agree. I don’t think his performance justifies a large outlay from our side. If the list management group believes he represents better value than what we’d get with our 3rd rounders I hope we have a crack.

Might be the worst take i've ever heard
Ive watched a heap of his games and he's never had a moment where i was thinking he'll be a 10 year player. Eagles of obviously thought the same delisting him. The most possessions he ever had in game (15) was on debut, he's not near afl standard. And its not like the eagles wouldnt want to keep kids they rate highly, with the amount of veterans that will be finishing up in the next year or so.

Ive watched a heap of his games and he's never had a moment where i was thinking he'll be a 10 year player. Eagles of obviously thought the same delisting him. The most possessions he ever had in game (15) was on debut, he's not near afl standard. And its not like the eagles wouldnt want to keep kids they rate highly, with the amount of veterans that will be finishing up in the next year or so.
I think you might be thinking of the wrong Ainsworth...

The Gold Coast one, not West Coast I think he means.

Agree. I don’t think his performance justifies a large outlay from our side. If the list management group believes he represents better value than what we’d get with our 3rd rounders I hope we have a crack.
I can't see in anyway the suns are giving up Ainsworth for a late 3rd round pick

The issue with Ainsworth is that he's a less than 1 goal/game small forward with average pressure as well.

Snelling is moving to the main list.
And we can have up to 6 rookies and 2 Cat Bs. Unless you mean that the total list size is capped at 42? When you said 'one spot used on Durham' I think this is what you meant.
Not necessarily unless that's been declared today
No

You can have 36-38 primary list players.
6-8 rookie list players

A cap at 44 in total

So we could have 36/8
Ok, I'm going to break this down and simplify it. I think some are using pre-COVID rules. The current rules (from the link at the bottom)

• You can have between 36-38 senior listed players
  • You can have 4-6 Cat A rookies
  • A club can have a maximum of 42 players who are on the senior list and Cat A list combined
  • You can have 0-2 Cat B rookies
  • A club can have a maximum of 44 players if they have 2 Cat B rookies.
For Essendon:
  1. At the final list lodgement last year we had 37 senior spots filled, 4 Cat A spots filled, 2 Cat B spots filled = 43 spots, with 1 vacant list spot.
  2. At various times McQuillan, Hurley and Mozzie were on the inactive/left list.
  3. We used PSS and MSD on Waterman, Baldwin and Durham.
  4. So before list changes this off-season we had added 3 players to the rookie Cat A list (Waterman, Baldwin, Durham), lost 1 player (McQuillan) and had used up the vacant list spot. So we added 3 players, but only freed up 2 spots.
  5. So at that stage we had 37 senior players, 6 Cat A and 2 Cat B = 45 spots. We were over the maximum list allowance
  6. Since then we have delisted/retired 6 players from the senior list. We also plan to add Kelly who will be on the senior list.
  7. For the senior list therefore we now have 37 - 6 + 1 = 32 senior listed players.
  8. So right now we have 32 senior spots, 6 Cat A and 2 Cat B = 40 list spots. We have four available slots.
So, we have 4 list spots available. We have 32 senior spots, and the minimum is 36. So right now, all of the list spots vacant are senior list spots. That can change by promoting Cat A rookies, or delisting Cat A rookies.

As per the second set of rules listed below, rookies can now stay 4 years on the list as long as one year was 2020 (COVID impacted). So it is our choice whether or not Snelling is upgraded or not.

Last edited:
I seem to remember some people saying he has the scope to become a Zorko type in the middle, he's been playing forward a lot since drafted could he move into the middle?
Do we need another player of his type in the middle?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok, I'm going to break this down and simplify it. I think some are using pre-COVID rules. The current rules (from the link at the bottom)

• You can have between 36-38 senior listed players
  • You can have 4-6 Cat A rookies
  • A club can have a maximum of 42 players who are on the senior list and Cat A list combined
  • You can have 0-2 Cat B rookies
  • A club can have a maximum of 44 players if they have 2 Cat B rookies.
For Essendon:
  1. At the final list lodgement last year we had 37 senior spots filled, 4 Cat A spots filled, 2 Cat B spots filled = 43 spots, with 1 vacant list spot.
  2. At various times McQuillan, Hurley and Mozzie were on the inactive/left list.
  3. We used PSS and MSD on Waterman, Baldwin and Durham.
  4. So before list changes this off-season we had added 3 players to the rookie Cat A list (Waterman, Baldwin, Durham), lost 1 player (McQuillan) and had used up the vacant list spot. So we added 3 players, but only freed up 2 spots.
  5. So at that stage we had 37 senior players, 6 Cat A and 2 Cat B = 45 spots. We were over the maximum list allowance
  6. Since then we have delisted/retired 6 players from the senior list. We also plan to add Kelly who will be on the senior list.
  7. For the senior list therefore we now have 37 - 6 + 1 = 32 senior listed players.
  8. So right now we have 32 senior spots, 6 Cat A and 2 Cat B = 40 list spots. We have four available slots.
So, we have 4 list spots available. We have 32 senior spots, and the minimum is 36. So right now, all of the list spots vacant are senior list spots. That can change by promoting Cat A rookies, or delisting Cat A rookies.

As per the second set of rules listed below, rookies can now stay 4 years on the list as long as one year was 2020 (COVID impacted). So it is our choice whether or not Snelling is upgraded or not.

Yep we have 40 players on our list (Including J.Kelly)

The player cap is 44. So yes 4

Could be 6 if Gleeson and Dyl Clarke are moved on

I’m only interested in Weideman if he costs very little at the trade table similar to Hind or Wright.

I disagree that we have plenty of options for the big bodied KPF role after Wright I’d say our next best is Stewart.

I do agree somewhat that there is potential for a logjam but I just think Weideman is a talented footballer who could potentially be grabbed cheaply. I wouldn’t be surprised if he out performs all our tall forwards next year wherever he ends up
Weideman might perform better than the young guys in 2022. But I think we'll have 4 better than him in 2023 and beyond, and that should be the priority. So picking him to play in 2022 takes a list spot and development time off our current crop.

Including Hurley, when all fit we're already going to be trying to fit nine talls into the VFL side. I don't want to add a tenth, we're already going to struggle to give them all sufficient VFL opportunities.
That's the whole point with Eyre and Baldwin. Ones barely played in 3 years the other is skinny raw. We won't know in 12 months time if these guys are going to cut it and as I've said before I doubt we see much consistent level of football at AFL from either in the next 2-3 years
But does it matter if they're not ready in 2022? 2022 should be a building year. We've got Wright, Jones, Francis who are in the best 22 right now. We've got Waterman and Stringer as mediums. We've got the issue of how do we get Bryan experience. McBride does look physically ready, and Reid is a top talent option (remember, B. King played back at U18 too).

Even if Eyre isn't ready physically, and Baldwin is still rusty, and both are well back in the pecking order - why is that a problem? Don't rush things, let all the talls develop, and see where we are next year. Going heavy on talls in 2019 & 2020 was always likely to be a slow burn, we shouldn't react to them not being ready in 2021 by using #11 on another tall who won't be ready until 2024, or a fringe tall with significant question marks who will take a list spot.

Weideman might perform better than the young guys in 2022. But I think we'll have 4 better than him in 2023 and beyond, and that should be the priority. So picking him to play in 2022 takes a list spot and development time off our current crop.

Including Hurley, when all fit we're already going to be trying to fit nine talls into the VFL side. I don't want to add a tenth, we're already going to struggle to give them all sufficient VFL opportunities.

But does it matter if they're not ready in 2022? 2022 should be a building year. We've got Wright, Jones, Francis who are in the best 22 right now. We've got Waterman and Stringer as mediums. We've got the issue of how do we get Bryan experience. McBride does look physically ready, and Reid is a top talent option (remember, B. King played back at U18 too).

Even if Eyre isn't ready physically, and Baldwin is still rusty, and both are well back in the pecking order - why is that a problem? Don't rush things, let all the talls develop, and see where we are next year. Going heavy on talls in 2019 & 2020 was always likely to be a slow burn, we shouldn't react to them not being ready in 2021 by using #11 on another tall who won't be ready until 2024, or a fringe tall with significant question marks who will take a list spot.
I'm not using 11 on a tall I'm saying that should be a mid

It's more about 2023 and 2024 I'm worried about and it will be compounded if Francis leaves in 12 months but I'll back the club in to know his likelihood of staying or going

It's not clear cut by any means imo

If Weideman was any sort of certainty of becoming as good as posters here seem to be suggesting we wouldn't be getting him for a handful of 3rd round picks as posters here also seem to be suggesting. Melbourne want to sign him so he won't be going anywhere at a firesale price either way.

If he's not a good chance of becoming as good as posters here seem to be suggesting then why not just stick with developing the forwards we already have?

I think gold coat would ship him for a second his in and out of the side and they have some players that are similar. In terms of what he brings, I'm hesitant to critique his numbers heavily considering his played half forward for one of the worst teams in the comp for his whole young career. I think he fills a similar pressure role to what Smith is trying to play and although he lacks the tackling ability at the moment I think that can be developed with a bit of mental application. Apart from that though for his size his actually very good in the air and gets up the ground those sorts of quick link up players are extraordinary to have. He was drafted pick 4 and I think if dodo could swindle him for a second its great business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back