Saturday September 25

Draft Combine – Vic Country
Friday October 1

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday October 3 - Monday October 15

Trade Period (picks and players)
Monday October 4 (9am) – Wednesday October 13 (7.30pm)

Draft Combines (States and Regions)
VM: Saturday October 9 (tbc)
Qld: Sunday October 10

Tas: Monday October 11
SA: Saturday October 16

WA: Sunday October 17
NSW&ACT: tbc
NT: will join SA or Qld

Trade Period (picks only)
Monday October 18 – Monday November 15

List Lodgement 1
Friday October 29

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday November 3 (9am) – Tuesday November 9 (5pm)

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Wednesday November 10 (2pm)

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Thursday November 11 (9am) – Monday November 15 (5pm)

Draft Nominations Due
Wednesday November 17 (3pm)

Pre-Season Commences (First to fourth year players)
Monday November 22

National Draft
Round 1: Wednesday November 24 (7pm)
Round 2–end: Thursday November 25 (7pm)

Rookie Upgrade Period
Thursday November 25 (10pm) - Thursday November 25 (11pm)

Delisted Free Agency Window 3
Thursday November 25 (10pm) - Thursday November 25 (11pm)

Pre-Selected Rookie Nominations Due (Includes Academy, Father/Son)
Friday November 26 (12pm) - Friday November 26 (12.30pm)

Preseason Draft
Friday November 26 (3pm)

Pre-Selected Rookie Notification
Friday November 26 (3.15pm)

Rookie Draft
Friday November 26 (3.20pm)

Final List Lodgement
Monday November 29 (4pm)

Pre-Season Commences (All other players)
Monday December 6

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
December - March (tbc)
Current Contract Status
2021 Draft Watch
Father/Son and NGA
Adrian Dodoro

Last edited:
Doesn't look like we'll be too active.

Kelly is a good get.
If we can get another ready-made mid in the 21-24 yo bracket as a FA good. like Hewett.

The only business i'd try to do is maybe trade 11 for the Lions 18,73 and a 2022 2nd to bank points for the Davey twins.
I'd upgrade Mingma (Snelling) now with pick 73 - he's earnt it.

Then with 18 you take the best mid ready to go round 1.
And with 48 and 53 Dodo can throw a dartboard on or go with spec picks to try to find a diamond in the rough.

MiguelM

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Sounds to me Rutten is happy to see what we get out of the list with another preseason and hopefully injury free. Might be a couple of low risk picks but IMO we wont be after any big fish this trade period.

I still think we need another gun small forward but lets see if Waterman can shed some kgs and get a better tank.

If it doesn't work out, throw everything at a Papley type.

Hak94

All Australian
Apr 27, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
No legitimate trade target gives this thread even less direction than normal.
Honestly, I think this makes the trade period a little more intriguing then. A little mystery, especially knowing that Dodoro is notorious for always having something big at play. Unless he flat out comes and says we're going to be very quiet, more looking to gain better draft capital etc then expect the unexpected. My gut says we'll be looking at the draft again this year, which is sensible.

Hak94

All Australian
Apr 27, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon

Kelly is a good get.
If we can get another ready-made mid in the 21-24 yo bracket as a FA good. like Hewett.

The only business i'd try to do is maybe trade 11 for the Lions 18,73 and a 2022 2nd to bank points for the Davey twins.

And with 48 and 53 Dodo can throw a dartboard on or go with spec picks to try to find a diamond in the rough.
I think we'll stick with pick 11, considering it will slide a few back with the F/S picks early. Unless they see a player they love in that 10-20 group that is being spoken about that they think will still be on the board by the time we pick. I even think if possible they may even want to get a bit higher, even inside the top ten but that may take some hustling.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Honestly, I think this makes the trade period a little more intriguing then. A little mystery, especially knowing that Dodoro is notorious for always having something big at play. Unless he flat out comes and says we're going to be very quiet, more looking to gain better draft capital etc then expect the unexpected. My gut says we'll be looking at the draft again this year, which is sensible.

Last year and seemingly this year it's about using trades and FA to bring up our bottom-6.

Wright, Hind and now Kelly are all fairly low-key acquisitons that improve the best-22 that run out each week by improving the bottom half-dozen.

We then have our Top-10 guys from last year, and whoever we draft this year, that we'd hope improves our top-6.

Think it's a sensible way to go about it, no need to blow big currency on a star when the list has much bigger needs than any one single player could fill.

Schnitzengruben

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 4, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Part of me obviously wants Ben King, but another part of me hopes he at least re-signs this year. I would then have a strong preference to trade out our 2022 1st for a 1st this year.

With some wheeling and dealing, another 2-3 picks in the 10-20 range combined with last years haul and the Davey boys next year should set us up for quite a while.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon

Kelly is a good get.

Dodo's had a great run with diamonds recently, with Snello, Durham and Waterman. Fingers crossed the form continues.

Part of me obviously wants Ben King, but another part of me hopes he at least re-signs this year. I would then have a strong preference to trade out our 2022 1st for a 1st this year.

With some wheeling and dealing, another 2-3 picks in the 10-20 range combined with last years haul and the Davey boys next year should set us up for quite a while.
King is contracted for 2022 and, rumour has it, is likely to re-sign long term with gold coast, at least take him through to free agency

Schnitzengruben

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 4, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
King is contracted for 2022 and, rumour has it, is likely to re-sign long term with gold coast, at least take him through to free agency
Yeah, was referring to a long term deal. You'd think they want to get it done ASAP and not have it mentioned every week next year.

Apr 26, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Aston Villa

Attachments

• 1632097179672.gif
    1632097179672.gif
    2.5 MB · Views: 39
The thing about trading out a future first next year more than any other is that we have no idea how good these kids are. For most they didn't have an under 16's year and would have played no more than a dozen games in their bottom age year.

The Davey twins might be within the top 5 but they could be second round picks for all we know. If we have a not as good year next year ladder wise, which wouldn't be unexpected, we could walk away with Oliver Hollands (just a random name from a draft watcher's top 10) and both twins in the first round next year.

Apr 26, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Aston Villa
The thing about trading out a future first next year more than any other is that we have no idea how good these kids are. For most they didn't have an under 16's year and would have played no more than a dozen games in their bottom age year.

The Davey twins might be within the top 5 but they could be second round picks for all we know. If we have a not as good year next year ladder wise, which wouldn't be unexpected, we could walk away with Oliver Hollands (just a random name from a draft watcher's top 10) and both twins in the first round next year.
I’m all for setting up our next 5-6 years and beyond. Core players we have are likely to be there during our flag window. Generally you do that at the draft.

The trade period enthusiasts will spill the board if we don't do any wheeling and dealing.

Hak94

All Australian
Apr 27, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
I'm not gonna lie, I said it before, if I have to listen to the Carlton nuffies call up Trade Radio every five mins with the same questions asking about every player available for trade and how their club is going to get them in (thinking their cap is expandable) without one ounce of Essendon news floating about.... I'll be in damage control for the two weeks (three weeks with the pre-week). Every damn year they do it!

Trust Dodoro to be upto something! 😈

Sep 12, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
I'm not gonna lie, I said it before, if I have to listen to the Carlton nuffies call up Trade Radio every five mins with the same questions asking about every player available for trade and how their club is going to get them in (thinking their cap is expandable) without one ounce of Essendon news floating about.... I'll be in damage control for the two weeks (three weeks with the pre-week). Every damn year they do it!

Trust Dodoro to be upto something! 😈
Yeah but you’ve got to have a level of nuff in you to keep listening to that s**t

FlyingV

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Maybe we could trade our future second to our future selves, with Dodoro holding the whole thing up so it only gets done late in the period.
Essendon are last minute suitors for Cerra offering their first round pick this year. The only hold up is that Essendon are also considering trading their first round pick into the future and their future first round pick into the present. We are told the major holdup on the deal is that this isn’t how time and space works as we know it.

cAsEy_18

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Apr 13, 2007
Frankston
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Yankees, Chelseas, YCW.
Maybe we could trade our future second to our future selves, with Dodoro holding the whole thing up so it only gets done late in the period.

We should absolutely look into this.
Reckon we could screw future Dodoro over - we know past Dodoro is hard to deal with, and they say people soften in their old age.

Someone get present Dodoro on the phone.

Atavistic

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Team Coco
We should absolutely look into this.
Reckon we could screw future Dodoro over - we know past Dodoro is hard to deal with, and they say people soften in their old age.

Someone get present Dodoro on the phone.

Future Dodoro knows everything present Dodoro knows, and then some. He probably also has an extra jacket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back