Saturday September 25

Draft Combine – Vic Country
Friday October 1

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday October 3 - Monday October 15

Trade Period (picks and players)
Monday October 4 (9am) – Wednesday October 13 (7.30pm)

Draft Combines (States and Regions)
VM: Saturday October 9 (tbc)
Qld: Sunday October 10

Tas: Monday October 11
SA: Saturday October 16

WA: Sunday October 17
NSW&ACT: tbc
NT: will join SA or Qld

Trade Period (picks only)
Monday October 18 – Monday November 15

List Lodgement 1
Friday October 29

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday November 3 (9am) – Tuesday November 9 (5pm)

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Wednesday November 10 (2pm)

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Thursday November 11 (9am) – Monday November 15 (5pm)

Draft Nominations Due
Wednesday November 17 (3pm)

Pre-Season Commences (First to fourth year players)
Monday November 22

National Draft
Round 1: Wednesday November 24 (7pm)
Round 2–end: Thursday November 25 (7pm)

Rookie Upgrade Period
Thursday November 25 (10pm) - Thursday November 25 (11pm)

Delisted Free Agency Window 3
Thursday November 25 (10pm) - Thursday November 25 (11pm)

Pre-Selected Rookie Nominations Due (Includes Academy, Father/Son)
Friday November 26 (12pm) - Friday November 26 (12.30pm)

Preseason Draft
Friday November 26 (3pm)

Pre-Selected Rookie Notification
Friday November 26 (3.15pm)

Rookie Draft
Friday November 26 (3.20pm)

Final List Lodgement
Monday November 29 (4pm)

Pre-Season Commences (All other players)
Monday December 6

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
December - March (tbc)
Current Contract Status
2021 Draft Watch
Father/Son and NGA
Adrian Dodoro

Last edited:
Okay so we have up to two spots available for this stuff. Some plausible candidates:

Zavier Maher: 184 cm, 83 kg Inside Midfielder, Murray Bushrangers.

AFL Draft Central says: Zavier Maher is an explosive inside midfielder who, while not the prototype tall in there, is able to use his strength on the inside and speed on the outside. While he has plenty of upside, he has had some injuries over the journey – such as a broken ankle and a minor medial collateral ligament (MCL) tear – and still has areas to improve on such as his ball-winning and short kicking. Still, Maher lays claim to some seriously eye-catching traits.

Kyle Dunkley: 185 cm, 84 kg Inside Midfielder, Melbourne.

Dunkley obviously aids us in our pursuit of brother Josh, and is a defensively minded inside midfielder that our list sorely lacks. Can also play forward and kick a goal as shown by his work in the VFL.

Zac Dumesny: 186 cm, 77 kg Half Back, South Adelaide.

AFL Draft Central says: After competing in back-to-back SANFL Under 18 grand finals with South Adelaide in 2018 and 2019, Zac Dumesny made his League debut in Round 1 of this season. He made an immediate impact and looked comfortable at senior level, playing predominately on the wing but also spending some time as a high half-forward and a medium-sized defender. A member of the AFL Academy, Dumesny represented Australia and was also selected to participate in the Under 17 All-Stars match in late 2019. This year, he suffered an ankle injury whilst playing in the Reserves, which kept him sidelined for a number of weeks. However, he returned to the Panthers’ Under 18s side for their must-win clash with North Adelaide in the final home and away round, where he gathered a game-high 33 disposals. He accumulated a further 20 touches in the semi-final defeat to Woodville-West Torrens the following week.

Max Heath: 203/94 Key Forward/Ruck, Sandringham Dragons.

AFL Draft Central says: Heath has seemingly come out of nowhere to become a genuine draft chance in 2020. Standing at an impressive 203cm, the Xavier College and Sandringham Dragons prospect wasn’t on the radar last year; playing only a single game for Sandringham and collecting a lowly four disposals, seven hit-outs, and one goal in Round 9 against Gippsland. It wasn’t much of a surprise to see him miss out on the original AFL Academy intake, but a standout performance in the pre-season against Oakleigh Chargers put him firmly in recruiters’ sights. With that brilliant display, he earned selection for the AFL Draft Combine, but the Covid situation has certainly hampered his progress this year as he would have also gotten the opportunity to be Victoria Metro’s leading ruckman, competing against the likes of Kalin Lane, Shannon Neale, Riley Thilthorpe and Henry Walsh of the other regions.

But yeah there are plenty of other possibilities

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
When can clubs start making their SSP selections?

I'm hoping we look at Dunkley before the start of the season and keep a spot open for the MSD.

When can clubs start making their SSP selections?

I'm hoping we look at Dunkley before the start of the season and keep a spot open for the MSD.
January.

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
Fun little possible wrinkle.

2022 we have the Davey twins and our first rounder will likely be absorbed so maybe we do a Collingwood and look to trade it.

Could we offer a 2022 first round pick amd a sweetener pick for Dunkley next year? Essentially the same deal as this year but a year on with salary cap pressures they might take it.

Add Dunkley to McGrath, Shiel, Parish, Merrett, Caldwell, Langford, Heppell, Perkins plus a top 5 pick next year (Sinn/Johnson/etc) and that midfield rebuild happens quick

Last edited:

Cup_o_Jobe

All Australian
Aug 9, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Just to continue the "Bring in all the talls at once" theme of this off-season, would we at least look at Baldwin or Callow for one of the picks? That kind of big, dominant, "drop-it-on-my-head-and-I'll-catch-it" power forward is something I'd like to see on our list. Would fit in well with our current f50 entry strategy.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
Just to continue the "Bring in all the talls at once" theme of this off-season, would we at least look at Baldwin or Callow for one of the picks? That kind of big, dominant, "drop-it-on-my-head-and-I'll-catch-it" power forward is something I'd like to see on our list. Would fit in well with our current f50 entry strategy.
It's a no from me.

naraku

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
A.C. Milan
Is our two spots including Mozzie going to LTI or would that make it 3 spots?

I'd hope for a combo of : Dunkley, Maher, Kolar, Duval and Callow.

1 spot on the list, the other is from Mozzie, making 2 total I think.

Cant remember if it was Twomey or even Knightmare that had Callow in top 20 and didn’t even get picked in rookie draft. Isn’t he a 190+ plus forward? Not sure we need another tall

Cant remember if it was Twomey or even Knightmare that had Callow in top 20 and didn’t even get picked in rookie draft. Isn’t he a 190+ plus forward? Not sure we need another tall
I don’t remember him in Cal’s rankings, maybe it was KM.

Mar 17, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tassie Devils
Kyle Dunkley in the SSP then leave a spot in the mid season draft for an inside mid surely

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
Kyle Dunkley in the SSP then leave a spot in the mid season draft for an inside mid surely
I wouldn't be against redrafting Hibberd. Is there any reason, egg on club's face notwithstanding, that we can't or shouldn't?

Fun little possible wrinkle.

2022 we have the Davey twins and our first rounder will likely be absorbed so maybe we do a Collingwood and look to trade it.

Could we offer a 2022 first round pick amd a sweetener pick for Dunkley next year? Essentially the same deal as this year but a year on with salary cap pressures they might take it.

Add Dunkley to McGrath, Shiel, Parish, Merrett, Caldwell, Langford, Heppell, Perkins plus a top 5 pick next year (Sinn/Johnson/etc) and that midfield rebuild happens quick
Hope they do not change the FS rules to match the NGA rules.

Mar 17, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tassie Devils
I wouldn't be against redrafting Hibberd. Is there any reason, egg on club's face notwithstanding, that we can't or shouldn't?
He’s not Josh Dunkley’s brother

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
He’s not Josh Dunkley’s brother
Rather, KDunk and Hibbo, and not concern ourselves with the midyear draft at all.

With mid year we’d get the chance to look at the kids who didn’t play last year and didn’t get drafted, who will have then had a chance to show they’ve improved since last year

Plenty of time for someone to do an ACL

Fin ice Smuggler

Cancelled
Nov 13, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Some think we need another mid, maybe? But with our bid on walker I think we need that running defender or a crumbing defensive small forward. Must be over 180cms though, no Snellings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back