Saturday September 25

Draft Combine – Vic Country
Friday October 1

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday October 3 - Monday October 15

Trade Period (picks and players)
Monday October 4 (9am) – Wednesday October 13 (7.30pm)

Draft Combines (States and Regions)
VM: Saturday October 9 (tbc)
Qld: Sunday October 10

Tas: Monday October 11
SA: Saturday October 16

WA: Sunday October 17
NSW&ACT: tbc
NT: will join SA or Qld

Trade Period (picks only)
Monday October 18 – Monday November 15

List Lodgement 1
Friday October 29

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday November 3 (9am) – Tuesday November 9 (5pm)

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Wednesday November 10 (2pm)

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Thursday November 11 (9am) – Monday November 15 (5pm)

Draft Nominations Due
Wednesday November 17 (3pm)

Pre-Season Commences (First to fourth year players)
Monday November 22

National Draft
Round 1: Wednesday November 24 (7pm)
Round 2–end: Thursday November 25 (7pm)

Rookie Upgrade Period
Thursday November 25 (10pm) - Thursday November 25 (11pm)

Delisted Free Agency Window 3
Thursday November 25 (10pm) - Thursday November 25 (11pm)

Pre-Selected Rookie Nominations Due (Includes Academy, Father/Son)
Friday November 26 (12pm) - Friday November 26 (12.30pm)

Preseason Draft
Friday November 26 (3pm)

Pre-Selected Rookie Notification
Friday November 26 (3.15pm)

Rookie Draft
Friday November 26 (3.20pm)

Final List Lodgement
Monday November 29 (4pm)

Pre-Season Commences (All other players)
Monday December 6

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
December - March (tbc)
Current Contract Status
2021 Draft Watch
Father/Son and NGA
Adrian Dodoro

Last edited:
That's more so because small forwards aren't often picked in the first round anyway, to get a better idea you'd need to see the list of first round busts. As that list stands, Greene, Pickett, Bailey and Gresham have all more than justified being picked in the first round.
Jordan Galluci (pick 15), Daniel Venables (concussion, but pick 13), Jarrod Pickett (pick 4), Jarrod Garlett (pick 15), Ben Lennon (pick 12), Darcy Lang (pick 15), Troy Menzel (pick 11), Nathan Hrovat (pick 21), Liam Sumner (pick 10), Murray Newman (pick 23), Billy Smedts (pick 15), Jed Lamb (pick 21), Patrick Veszpremi (pick 11)

I cbf going back any further. But yeah, there are a few

So gws won’t let Bobby hill go due to not picking up another small forward in the trade period but then get linked to delisted hawk Oliver Hanrahan it’s a bit rough

I really doubt we have more than one of these but potential DFA's:

Inside Midfielders: Michael Gibbons, Sam Ramsay, Dom Tyson, Patrick Naish, Mark Hutchings
Small Forwards: Cameron Taheny, Will Walker, Sam Grey, Jarrod Cameron

I doubt we go Gibbons, Tyson, Grey or Hutchings but they're AFL standard players IMO. Will Walker is a very attractive proposition to me however, was very keen in his draft year as a forward/mid after watching his TAC GF.
I’m a fan of Taheny but he ain’t a small forward.

Honestly, we have a good strike rate at small forwards later in the draft, I would have zero issues taking a Paul Curtis or Jahmal Stretch or any others that fall down the order at one of our third round picks either
Our pick 51 should end up around 44-46 perfect strike zone for Paul Curtis (if he’s still on the board).

Our pick 51 should end up around 44-46 perfect strike zone for Paul Curtis (if he’s still on the board).
I think it'll be late 40's. St. Kilda have Owens/Windhager, GWS have Fahey and PA have Burgoyne. Those all go ahead again pushing it a few places back.

If we can somehow nab Constable then yes to that - the fear really is our depth, what happens if Parish or Stringer are out next year etc.

Jordan Galluci (pick 15), Daniel Venables (concussion, but pick 13), Jarrod Pickett (pick 4), Jarrod Garlett (pick 15), Ben Lennon (pick 12), Darcy Lang (pick 15), Troy Menzel (pick 11), Nathan Hrovat (pick 21), Liam Sumner (pick 10), Murray Newman (pick 23), Billy Smedts (pick 15), Jed Lamb (pick 21), Patrick Veszpremi (pick 11)

I cbf going back any further. But yeah, there are a few

Being VERY generous including most of these blokes as "small forwards". Galluci, Venables (187), Lang, Sumner and Smedts (189) were all drafted as mids, while Lennon (188), Menzel (187), Veszpremi (187) aren't small.

Why hasn't Constable made it at Geelong?
I'm not sold that he's what we need. Defense is an issue, as is his kicking. Finds the ball at VFL level yes, but I don't see where he fits in our midfield mix.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haven’t really seen Constable but you’d think we’d be interested in him as a free hit.

The Hill thing was ridiculous, blatantly obvious the compassionate grounds were concocted and totally reasonable for GWS to hold him to his contract.

Constable averaged 32 disposals across 9 games at VFL level this year. Had 40+ vs. Essendon and Brisbane.
192cm and 86kg, and a free hit.
Seems pretty obvious.
David Myers like figures

Haven’t really seen Constable but you’d think we’d be interested in him as a free hit.

The Hill thing was ridiculous, blatantly obvious the compassionate grounds were concocted and totally reasonable for GWS to hold him to his contract.
but if he was an essendon player and we wouldnt let him go the AFL media would be all over us like a rash

This is a left field one. But Swans Sam Reid as a stopgap replacement for Hooker. Yes injury prone. Yes only averages 1 goal a game.

To me he seems like a Tom McDonald sort of player. Not the superstar of the team but could help sure up the forward line and of didnt get into best 22, would be a good option to take the pressure of Baldwin and co developing forward craft in VFL

If we picked up Rantall, Sam Ramsay and Tex Wanganeen (F/S) as rookies that would be nice i think.

It would be smart to pick up a couple of young guys who missed a lot of development due to no VFL and bubbles. Have them running around the VFL in the midfield developing and if they come on, great.

We dont have the draft capital to load up in this draft so this could be another option as i imagine bkth were cut due to salary and list spot tightness.

Wow there are a fair few workhorse cheapo gap fillers being delisted that we could give one year contracts to for free.

Makes me wonder if a reason we didn't chase Dunstan/Hewett etc is that we wanted to leave as much salary space and draft capital open as possible for chasing a big fish next offseason... And keep developing kids in the meantime. A free DFA is on a smaller salary than Dunstan.

Don't mind it. Especially if Constable or whoever takes the second chance and exceeds expectations. It means a top 8 finish in 2022 is an unlikely bonus, but I'm getting excited about 2023.

Wouldn’t endorse bringing in Constable if it’s at the expense of Clarke. Both are good in close, but struggle to impact on the outside. The only difference is Clarke as a great tank, Constable reportedly does not

If we picked up Rantall, Sam Ramsay and Tex Wanganeen (F/S) as rookies that would be nice i think.

It would be smart to pick up a couple of young guys who missed a lot of development due to no VFL and bubbles. Have them running around the VFL in the midfield developing and if they come on, great.

We dont have the draft capital to load up in this draft so this could be another option as i imagine bkth were cut due to salary and list spot tightness.
Unless Clarke goes I'm fairly sure a max of two can be rookies. We currently have Waterman, Durham, Clarke and Baldwin as rookies.

So I'm thinking Rantall as a DFA, Wanganeen we wait and see whether a bid comes in during the ND and then rookie him and Ramsay if we went down this path.

Although I stil reaaaaaally want Will Walker instead of one of them haha

Unless Clarke goes I'm fairly sure a max of two can be rookies. We currently have Waterman, Durham, Clarke and Baldwin as rookies.

So I'm thinking Rantall as a DFA, Wanganeen we wait and see whether a bid comes in during the ND and then rookie him and Ramsay if we went down this path.

Although I stil reaaaaaally want Will Walker instead of one of them haha
I dont see us keeping Clarke, tbh. He got dropped after a few decent games for a final that would have been his cup of tea (wet slog of a match).

It doesnt seem like Truck sees him as part of the future

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back