Saturday September 25

Draft Combine – Vic Country
Friday October 1

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday October 3 - Monday October 15

Trade Period (picks and players)
Monday October 4 (9am) – Wednesday October 13 (7.30pm)

Draft Combines (States and Regions)
VM: Saturday October 9 (tbc)
Qld: Sunday October 10

Tas: Monday October 11
SA: Saturday October 16

WA: Sunday October 17
NSW&ACT: tbc
NT: will join SA or Qld

Trade Period (picks only)
Monday October 18 – Monday November 15

List Lodgement 1
Friday October 29

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday November 3 (9am) – Tuesday November 9 (5pm)

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Wednesday November 10 (2pm)

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Thursday November 11 (9am) – Monday November 15 (5pm)

Draft Nominations Due
Wednesday November 17 (3pm)

Pre-Season Commences (First to fourth year players)
Monday November 22

National Draft
Round 1: Wednesday November 24 (7pm)
Round 2–end: Thursday November 25 (7pm)

Rookie Upgrade Period
Thursday November 25 (10pm) - Thursday November 25 (11pm)

Delisted Free Agency Window 3
Thursday November 25 (10pm) - Thursday November 25 (11pm)

Pre-Selected Rookie Nominations Due (Includes Academy, Father/Son)
Friday November 26 (12pm) - Friday November 26 (12.30pm)

Preseason Draft
Friday November 26 (3pm)

Pre-Selected Rookie Notification
Friday November 26 (3.15pm)

Rookie Draft
Friday November 26 (3.20pm)

Final List Lodgement
Monday November 29 (4pm)

Pre-Season Commences (All other players)
Monday December 6

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
December - March (tbc)
Current Contract Status
2021 Draft Watch
Father/Son and NGA
Adrian Dodoro

Last edited:
Hill is not a player of substance and is a very strange type of player to commit to for 4 years and a second round pick.

'Tricks' are about the most worthless thing when it comes to winning games of footy.

Ronke and Long are examples of players who do not have the tricks but, at least in theory, have athleticism and physicality required to be valuable.
Bobby Hill is more than just tricks, though. He has all the makings of a good small forward who could play in a Richmond-style system. He's still young and needs to put on size but given another 1-2 years to bulk up, I think he will surprise to the upside. He reminds me of a young Charlie Cameron who, whilst not a brute, is still is a very talented small forward.

Players like Ronke and Long are floated every trade period for a reason. It reminds me of those who think Will Brodie and Connor Blakely are the answer to our midfield issues.

Long is a forward version of SPP - incredibly clumsy, poor skills and lazy. Ronke outside of 1-2 great games hasn't really shown anything to make to me believe he's more than a great VFL player.

I just don't think there's an abundance of quality small forwards out there who are up for grabs.

And I'm sure he does but are you saying 'so be it' he should just cough up whatever they ask for?

Of course he shouldn't pay whatever is asked but there are pretty clear minimums.

Contracted 23yo gun players cost 2 first round picks. It's then a question of value coming back the other way.

20 year old first round picks from super drafts you sign on 4 year deals are worth first round picks.

If you're not prepared to be realistic about the cost don't bother.

Last edited:
When Sydney couldn't get Daniher done that was also Dodoros fault.
It was a poor decision by dodoro and frankly should have cost him his job
dodoro was offered a very generous deal but refused it
he foolishly believed that Essendon could talk joe around he also was unlucky that COVID came and less clubs had salary to take joe on
dodoro is an ordinary list manager who has not overseen a list that has won a final

he foolishly believed that Essendon could talk joe around he also was unlucky that COVID came and less clubs had salary to take joe on
dodoro is an ordinary list manager who has not overseen a list that has won a final

Way to throw the toys out of the cot with that post. Dodoro did make a mistake with the Joe/Sydney deal, in hindsight, but beyond that he has done remarkably well to build a competitive list given the cards he has been dealt. Clearly it’s our coaching department and culture at the club that have let us down over the years, not Dodoro’s list management…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unlike the Shiel deal, that looks pretty clearly like a whole of club decision not to entertain a trade for Daniher at the end of 2019.

Honestly if you want to beat the guy up go right ahead, but we have a whole separate thread for just that, and please keep it based in reality. There are plenty of things that he's actually screwed up without inventing or exaggerating stuff.

If you're going to offer 4 years then realistically it should be for a player of the calibre that you should be willing to part with a second rounder for.
There is the question whether we should be offering 4 years or a second rounder at all, but if you're going to do the former it makes sense to me that you do the latter as well.

Bobby Hill is more than just tricks, though. He has all the makings of a good small forward who could play in a Richmond-style system. He's still young and needs to put on size but given another 1-2 years to bulk up, I think he will surprise to the upside. He reminds me of a young Charlie Cameron who, whilst not a brute, is still is a very talented small forward.

Players like Ronke and Long are floated every trade period for a reason. It reminds me of those who think Will Brodie and Connor Blakely are the answer to our midfield issues.

Long is a forward version of SPP - incredibly clumsy, poor skills and lazy. Ronke outside of 1-2 great games hasn't really shown anything to make to me believe he's more than a great VFL player.

I just don't think there's an abundance of quality small forwards out there who are up for grabs.
I'm with you. I actually think Hill will be a star.

Also ... it's nice to suddenly feel that we have the culture and coaching to get the best out of players.

In the Woosha period he would have been coming for guaranteed midfield time and then getting dropped for David Myers.

Who is this Dodoro guy you keep going on about

If Bobby Hills draft happened 12 months earlier he was probably going top 3

But at that I'm always thought there is no way. He ended up drifting as expected, rare genuine small forwards go so high especially at that time. Kozi and Weightman have maybe changed that a bit

As for those saying we've offered 4 years and need to pay the equivilant, 1) well so have freo with Clark and only offering pick 22 which allows access to the 24th best kid in the pool. Clark was a higher pick and has shown similar, 2) there are varying reports between 2-4 years as the contract

We know F2 has been offered now just what we get in return, depends

Something about the grounds for which Bob wants to be traded isn't sitting well with me. His home state and his girlfriend's homestate is WA. He's breaking a contract to get to us on compassionate grounds because family is in Melbourne and she's pregnant? So, why not WA?

His willingness to break his current contract and cousin Brad's example, who he wants to hang out with, and raising kids still away from his home state has me thinking this is Connor McKenna all over again - in for a good time, not for a long time.

If Bobby Hills draft happened 12 months earlier he was probably going top 3

But at that I'm always thought there is no way. He ended up drifting as expected, rare genuine small forwards go so high especially at that time. Kozi and Weightman have maybe changed that a bit

As for those saying we've offered 4 years and need to pay the equivilant, 1) well so have freo with Clark and only offering pick 22 which allows access to the 24th best kid in the pool. Clark was a higher pick and has shown similar, 2) there are varying reports between 2-4 years as the contract

We know F2 has been offered now just what we get in return, depends
Based on?

I feel like this one wont be done and I think we'll be better off for it. 11 should be untouchable until we're live in the draft, even if only back 2 spots. F1 and F2 i think will be nice currency to have live draft as well so we can target specific players. Hill might have talent and might turn out to be a jet but at the moment he is a risk that has the ability to compromise our draft.

I think it gets done purely because he's nominated us, we've ponied up our 2nd (apparently) and I just don't think Dodoro wouldn't get a trade like this done two years in a row (Dunkley 2020).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back