Saturday September 25

Draft Combine – Vic Country
Friday October 1

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday October 3 - Monday October 15

Trade Period (picks and players)
Monday October 4 (9am) – Wednesday October 13 (7.30pm)

Draft Combines (States and Regions)
VM: Saturday October 9 (tbc)
Qld: Sunday October 10

Tas: Monday October 11
SA: Saturday October 16

WA: Sunday October 17
NSW&ACT: tbc
NT: will join SA or Qld

Trade Period (picks only)
Monday October 18 – Monday November 15

List Lodgement 1
Friday October 29

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday November 3 (9am) – Tuesday November 9 (5pm)

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Wednesday November 10 (2pm)

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Thursday November 11 (9am) – Monday November 15 (5pm)

Draft Nominations Due
Wednesday November 17 (3pm)

Pre-Season Commences (First to fourth year players)
Monday November 22

National Draft
Round 1: Wednesday November 24 (7pm)
Round 2–end: Thursday November 25 (7pm)

Rookie Upgrade Period
Thursday November 25 (10pm) - Thursday November 25 (11pm)

Delisted Free Agency Window 3
Thursday November 25 (10pm) - Thursday November 25 (11pm)

Pre-Selected Rookie Nominations Due (Includes Academy, Father/Son)
Friday November 26 (12pm) - Friday November 26 (12.30pm)

Preseason Draft
Friday November 26 (3pm)

Pre-Selected Rookie Notification
Friday November 26 (3.15pm)

Rookie Draft
Friday November 26 (3.20pm)

Final List Lodgement
Monday November 29 (4pm)

Pre-Season Commences (All other players)
Monday December 6

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
December - March (tbc)
Current Contract Status
2021 Draft Watch
Father/Son and NGA
Adrian Dodoro

Last edited:
The other thing about Constable is he has elite hands inside the contest. At the moment we're relying on Parish to get inside and dish out to Zach, then to spread as well to receive or Zach to find a target. We know we're poor on the spread from stoppages and reliant on centre bounce clearances. Constable inside would allow us to capitalise on Parish's improved engine and give us better options on the spread. (including Rantall suddenly allows this, too).

I get that endurance is an issue for Constable, but Parish has shown that can be improved. Make them train together. I don't know much about player psychology, but when older players like Guthrie are constantly being favoured and you're stuck in the VFL, I imagine your mindset might get stuck on getting yourself to a strong VFL standard and thinking that's all good. The question mark on him is whether our system can develop his endurance, and therefore his defensive work.

At least, he would finally give us midfield depth and a point of difference. He's also a free hit now.

There is so much sense in signing both Constable and Rantall I am preparing myself for Jack Lonie.

Also, Austin Bradke is a player we tried to sign when Melbourne did. He was supposed to be 203cm athletic blank canvass. I wonder whether we squeeze him in.
Yep, I'd be happy with both Constable and Rantall for a year and see how they go.

Ben Cavarra. Pass.

Don’t think he had any idea how to play forward so that’s understandable. Surely you give a kid with his attributes 1 more year. Got drafted, covid hit and had 8-9 vfl games to develop.
Agree. Hard to play forward at the top level when you have spent your footy life as a hard running midfielder. Even harder when most of the limited VFL footy you play was in the midfield. Seems very strange. There must be something we do not know that they have made a call on.

Agree. Hard to play forward at the top level when you have spent your footy life as a hard running midfielder. Even harder when most of the limited VFL footy you play was in the midfield. Seems very strange. There must be something we do not know that they have made a call on.
They need list spots for the picks to match a Daicos bid i think

They need list spots for the picks to match a Daicos bid i think
Pretty much. Personally thought they should have cut Cox ahead of him and gone to the state leagues to get a ruck

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The other thing about Constable is he has elite hands inside the contest. At the moment we're relying on Parish to get inside and dish out to Zach, then to spread as well to receive or Zach to find a target. We know we're poor on the spread from stoppages and reliant on centre bounce clearances. Constable inside would allow us to capitalise on Parish's improved engine and give us better options on the spread. (including Rantall suddenly allows this, too).

I get that endurance is an issue for Constable, but Parish has shown that can be improved. Make them train together. I don't know much about player psychology, but when older players like Guthrie are constantly being favoured and you're stuck in the VFL, I imagine your mindset might get stuck on getting yourself to a strong VFL standard and thinking that's all good. The question mark on him is whether our system can develop his endurance, and therefore his defensive work.

At least, he would finally give us midfield depth and a point of difference. He's also a free hit now.

I agree on the depth issue, that we certainly need it, and therefore I'm not opposed to picking him up.

But "elite hands inside the contest" is literally Caldwell's calling card, too.

I agree on the depth issue, that we certainly need it, and therefore I'm not opposed to picking him up.

Increasing depth in all (midfield) roles should be our calling.

Right now the top 4 / 6 mids on our list have a monopoly and thus play majority of those midfield minutes. Adding competition for spots is good for the group

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not that we want Cox playing in the guts at the moment, but he does have great hands in close.

Let's look at it from this perspective. Small forwards who've kicked 30+ goals in a year since 2017 (aka the last 5 years):

Greene (pick 11)
Cameron (Rookie)
Papley (Rookie)
Pickett (pick 8)
Walla (Rookie)
Breust (Rookie)
Bailey (pick 15)
Walters (pick 53)
Sexton (pick 88)
Lloyd (pick 66)
Eddie (Rookie)
Ryan (Pick 26)
Cripps (Pick 24)
Matera (GC pre-selection)
J Thomas (Rookie? I think)
Gray (pick 55)
Gresham (pick 18)
LeCras (pick 37)
Garlett (pick 85)
Fantasia (pick 55)
Elliott (GWS pre-selection)

Maybe I've set the bar a little low but 14/21 were outside of the first two rounds. You're more likely to find a "gun" small forward from pick 40 onwards than you are in the first round.
This does not mean you are more likely to find a gun small forward from pick 40 onwards, as you say. That's not how probability works. You also need to work out how many small forwards were selected within the first 2 rounds, and how many after, who failed to meet your criteria to understand the likelihood.

EDIT forget me, already been said

At 190cm Constable has played across hb and pushed forward to mark and goal. His height also means he can be a legitimate marking target in the middle of the ground to allow Draper to push forward more.

I feel like he missed a lot of development opportunity at Geelong. If we can develop and play him to his strengths as an inside distributor it means Stringer has someone with whom he can swap roles. Only misgiving I have is his endurance apparently is not so good and he moves a bit slowly, but he apparently is a very smart player.

That is a much more positive assessment than mine. I’m not sure he has that positional versatility to the degree where he’s actually capable of playing on a flank or outright forward or back at at AFL level.

That is a much more positive assessment than mine. I’m not sure he has that positional versatility to the degree where he’s actually capable of playing on a flank or outright forward or back at at AFL level.
The appraisals I've seen have suggested he has the ability. How well he can, though, I'm not sure.

Cumberland is going to get re rookied by Richmond

Certainly will, can’t we nab him before that though? I’d give him 2 years, he’s comfortably Gowers level in terms of physicality and scoreboard impact IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back