Saturday September 25

Draft Combine – Vic Country
Friday October 1

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday October 3 - Monday October 15

Trade Period (picks and players)
Monday October 4 (9am) – Wednesday October 13 (7.30pm)

Draft Combines (States and Regions)
VM: Saturday October 9 (tbc)
Qld: Sunday October 10

Tas: Monday October 11
SA: Saturday October 16

WA: Sunday October 17
NSW&ACT: tbc
NT: will join SA or Qld

Trade Period (picks only)
Monday October 18 – Monday November 15

List Lodgement 1
Friday October 29

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday November 3 (9am) – Tuesday November 9 (5pm)

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Wednesday November 10 (2pm)

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Thursday November 11 (9am) – Monday November 15 (5pm)

Draft Nominations Due
Wednesday November 17 (3pm)

Pre-Season Commences (First to fourth year players)
Monday November 22

National Draft
Round 1: Wednesday November 24 (7pm)
Round 2–end: Thursday November 25 (7pm)

Rookie Upgrade Period
Thursday November 25 (10pm) - Thursday November 25 (11pm)

Delisted Free Agency Window 3
Thursday November 25 (10pm) - Thursday November 25 (11pm)

Pre-Selected Rookie Nominations Due (Includes Academy, Father/Son)
Friday November 26 (12pm) - Friday November 26 (12.30pm)

Preseason Draft
Friday November 26 (3pm)

Pre-Selected Rookie Notification
Friday November 26 (3.15pm)

Rookie Draft
Friday November 26 (3.20pm)

Final List Lodgement
Monday November 29 (4pm)

Pre-Season Commences (All other players)
Monday December 6

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
December - March (tbc)
Current Contract Status
2021 Draft Watch
Father/Son and NGA
Adrian Dodoro

Last edited:
The players you have listed can’t get a game with their own side
why would they make our side better
you have to develop your own players by and large
in retrospect how many players from other clubs have really helped us in the last ten years
I think the best sides do both well. Look at Richmond, Nankervis couldn't get a game ahead of Naismith, Caddy was very hot and cold. Yes, Prestia and Lynch were the star power but sometimes you also need to look at the fringes.

You constantly disrespect me and my opinion.

That’s rubbish
the swans did not want to lose nankervis and you can only play one legit ruck
the players you have listed are not ruckman and are not best 22
we have brought in a lot of players from other clubs- how has that gone for us?
Yeah I'm done with this argument. You can hold your opinion, I'll still read it, but you treat others like garbage and have no interest in interacting with you anymore.

Please don't reply to this.

nipst@r

All Australian
May 5, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
Are we now in danger becoming a bit slow? Hind is a great replacement. But Fantasia, Saad and McKenna were probably the 3 quickest blokes at the club. Merrett would be not far behind.

So just wondering who we had coming through with genuine speed and line breaking abilities. Looks like we will have the tall prospects sorted, inside mids Caldwell/Dunkley?, Just wondering who is going to provide the run, X factor and dash apart from Hind. Mozzie?

Hopefully the club has some plans to address this particularly if Merrett leaves. Irish rookies? Draft prospects? Or is there anyone on the list who can provide that elite dash that I may not be aware of? How far away are the Davey boys?

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
Are we now in danger becoming a bit slow? Hind is a great replacement. But Fantasia, Saad and McKenna were probably the 3 quickest blokes at the club. Merrett would be not far behind.

So just wondering who we had coming through with genuine speed and line breaking abilities. Looks like we will have the tall prospects sorted, inside mids Caldwell/Dunkley?, Just wondering who is going to provide the run, X factor and dash apart from Hind. Mozzie?

Hopefully the club has some plans to address this particularly if Merrett leaves. Irish rookies? Draft prospects? Or is there anyone on the list who can provide that elite dash that I may not be aware of? How far away are the Davey boys?
I think that's one of the reasons Cahill was trialled at HB, but I don't think he's the answer. McQuillan was also a hope.

I think that's one of the reasons Cahill was trialled at HB, but I don't think he's the answer. McQuillan was also a hope.
Christ. The negativity surrounding Cahill off half back is astounding. He's had one game there

Seems a bit unfair for you to criticise Laverde for what essentially you're giving Cahill a mulligan for.
Fair. But Cahill is a lot younger and has had nowhere near the amount of chances Laverde has too, who also played quite a bit of footy there as a junior.

We'll probably have at least one high pick in the upcoming draft, and possibly more if Merrett leaves.

Ideally that gets us someone with a combination of inside midfield ability, clean hands and speed. You'd think with the KPP spots now sorted for a couple of years at least the later picks in this draft would be flankers, rebounding defenders.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Interesting one i've pondered since the weekend game
we draft two KPD's on top of having BZT who has very few games under his belt
Hooker likely retiring and, along with Hurley, was going to move forward in 2021. And let's be honest on Stewart, he was fairly injury prone to put all the eggs in that basket.

Hartigan, limited as he is, would have been a handy cheap pickup.
Or anyone really. A seasoned FB to support the rest of the backline would have been handy.

nonamehack

Team Captain
May 9, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Essendon
Interesting one i've pondered since the weekend game
we draft two KPD's on top of having BZT who has very few games under his belt
Hooker likely retiring and, along with Hurley, was going to move forward in 2021. And let's be honest on Stewart, he was fairly injury prone to put all the eggs in that basket.

Hartigan, limited as he is, would have been a handy cheap pickup.
Or anyone really. A seasoned FB to support the rest of the backline would have been handy.
Or this year is a great year to trial all the young guys and see if they offer anything. As you said Hooker Hurley and Stewart are either in their twilight/injury prone/both.

I honestly don't mind trying Darwin theory and see who survives. It then gives you a great opportunity to clean house of all the players that cant/won't fit into Truck's game plan. It also gives Essendon the opportunity to chose their draft position

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Or this year is a great year to trial all the young guys and see if they offer anything. As you said Hooker Hurley and Stewart are either in their twilight/injury prone/both.

I honestly don't mind trying Darwin theory and see who survives. It then gives you a great opportunity to clean house of all the players that cant/won't fit into Truck's game plan. It also gives Essendon the opportunity to chose their draft position
Agree, but then no Reid/BZT on the weekend makes you wonder
Laverde isn't a kid
Francis is in year 6, and is struggling being trialled as a FB.

One of Reid or BZT should be playing that position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Agree, but then no Reid/BZT on the weekend makes you wonder
Laverde isn't a kid
Francis is in year 6, and is struggling being trialled as a FB.

One of Reid or BZT should be playing that position.

Reid not playing isn't a surprise, BZT not playing with Stewart out probably says a lot about his long-term future in the AFL.

nonamehack

Team Captain
May 9, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Essendon
I think with a player like Francis. Year 6. There is no point playing him in the reserves when AFL team likely out of finals. Either he works and you've got a guy who stays for the next 6+ years or you play him enough so his "exposed form" warrants another team to want to part with something fairly decent to get him.

BZT - maybe he hasn't fitted into the truck-centric world and they aren't gifting games. To me it sends a pretty good statement, we've got all these injuries and we still won't pick you. If that isn't a shape up or ship out message I don't know what is.

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Reid not playing isn't a surprise, BZT not playing with Stewart out probably says a lot about his long-term future in the AFL.
BZT has basically had no pre season. He’s underdone and needs time in the VFL to get some match fitness. Whether he makes it or not, he needs to establish a fitness base

Reid is physically very raw and not physically capable of competing in the seniors in his first year.

Unfortunately without Hurley, Ambrose and Stewart we are without 3 of our planned starting back 6.

We simply have to do the best we can for the next 6-8 weeks and in the meantime get BZT and Ambrose match fit and Stewart up and running.

In the meantime we’re exposed with inexperience and without a natural full back.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I think with a player like Francis. Year 6. There is no point playing him in the reserves when AFL team likely out of finals. Either he works and you've got a guy who stays for the next 6+ years or you play him enough so his "exposed form" warrants another team to want to part with something fairly decent to get him.

BZT - maybe he hasn't fitted into the truck-centric world and they aren't gifting games. To me it sends a pretty good statement, we've got all these injuries and we still won't pick you. If that isn't a shape up or ship out message I don't know what is.
Very fair
But goes to my original point
Reid & Brand are 18.
BZT not looking promising....a ~27yo KPD might have been an idea so we can let Ridley and Francis do their thing....or try get Laverde to play a role he's too short for.

nonamehack

Team Captain
May 9, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Essendon
Very fair
But goes to my original point
Reid & Brand are 18.
BZT not looking promising....a ~27yo KPD might have been an idea so we can let Ridley and Francis do their thing....or try get Laverde to play a role he's too short for.
I guess do you want another list clogger eg. Hartley on your list though. I'd prefer to find the positives/flaws in our own players then get someone that is a stop gap for a year or two when it's a rebuilding year anyway.

Especially when Stringer is fit (or just pinch hit with Waterman), Hooker could just go back and play that role better than hartigan.

Then against other bottom 8 teams play the new draftees after another month of building. Thats how I would play it.

Or you could just go old school Sheeds and just play a year 12 student against the 1990s best full forwards

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I guess do you want another list clogger eg. Hartley on your list though. I'd prefer to find the positives/flaws in our own players then get someone that is a stop gap for a year or two when it's a rebuilding year anyway.

Especially when Stringer is fit (or just pinch hit with Waterman), Hooker could just go back and play that role better than hartigan.

Then against other bottom 8 teams play the new draftees after another month of building. Thats how I would play it.

Or you could just go old school Sheeds and just play a year 12 student against the 1990s best full forwards
Hooker would be fine, but neither he nor Hurley looked earmarked for it.
My question is less who plays there this week, but wtf were we thinking?

Were the list guys in tune with the coaching direction?

To your first question, i would take a list clogger for 2-3 years as cover for Reid & Brand. There's a lot of eggs in those baskets.
A Hartley wouldn't be so bad right now.

Cup_o_Jobe

All Australian
Aug 9, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Hooker would be fine, but neither he nor Hurley looked earmarked for it.
My question is less who plays there this week, but wtf were we thinking?

Were the list guys in tune with the coaching direction?

To be fair to the list team, they probably weren't counting on all of Hurley, Ambrose and Stewart being cooked at once.

From some of the pre-season stuff, it sounds like Truck was going to experiment with Hurley, Ambrose and Wright as the three forwards, and Hooker, Stewart and Laverde as three backs. As weird as it might sound to have four blokes out of their natural positions, he seemed keen to give it a go and honestly I'd have been happy to take a look at how it worked.

But three of those blokes are now out, he clearly feels the forward line is more exposed and needs Hooker up there, which leaves Laverde looking (understandably) out of his depth, and Francis being forced again into an unnatural role as a KPD. That's a fairly complicated set of circumstances for the list team to have war-gamed ahead of time and factored into their recruiting.

fairbump_playon

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Over the last 10 years our needs have shifted. We wanted outside speed, we wanted inside mids, we wanted talls..

Now we want....

Midfielders who can kick.
Small forwards who can goal.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
Some chatter about us being into Tom Green. Don’t give it much credence but he would be a great fit. If we finish bottom we could leverage the psd, force a trade for a future first which we potentially won’t need if Alwyn Davey jnr continues to improve.

Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Some chatter about us being into Tom Green. Don’t give it much credence but he would be a great fit. If we finish bottom we could leverage the psd, force a trade for a future first which we potentially won’t need if Alwyn Davey jnr continues to improve.
GWS just lost Caldwell and Hately from their midfield stocks. De Boer and Ward are in the twilight. Although, they have dropped Green and they'd still have Hopper, Taranto, Coniglio and Kelly, and a young Bruhn and Connor Stone i suppose. This Green proposition should be ridiculous but its actually not. They draft too many mids and it leaves them with excess young guns not getting a game and looking for a new home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back