Remove this Banner Ad

11kgm

Premium Platinum
Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Man Utd
Is Daniel Rioli the worst three time premiership player in AFL history?
Most of Richmond's list could be up there, everyone is a 6 apart from Dusty and maybe Lynch they are consistent play their strategy but put most in other teams and they will struggle

Milanista28

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Maybe our best bet is to keep Zach and go to the draft, let the kids develop and decide what our biggest list need is end 2022 and target them then?

Maybe target someone smaller like Fiorini or Ely Smith if they're still on the outs?

TheGrizz

Spec Moderator
Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
Is Daniel Rioli the worst three time premiership player in AFL history?
I actually think the pendulum in terms of criticism of Daniel has swung too far.

I would agree that he was overhyped when he first came in for sure because of his surname.

However i would argue he has still turned into a capable role player at AFL level and you dont play in 3 premierships if you are completely useless.

owen87

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I actually think the pendulum in terms of criticism of Daniel has swung too far.

I would agree that he was overhyped when he first came in for sure because of his surname.

However i would argue he has still turned into a capable role player at AFL level and you dont play in 3 premierships if you are completely useless.
Definitely overhyped, everything he does is THE BEST THING YOU'VE EVER SEEN ON THE FOOTBALL FIELD RICHO. Meanwhile, in reality, he's missed the handball target.

He's a role player in a strong side, if he was called Daniel Smith would anyone even mention him is I guess my point.

TheGrizz

Spec Moderator
Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
Definitely overhyped, everything he does is THE BEST THING YOU'VE EVER SEEN ON THE FOOTBALL FIELD RICHO. Meanwhile, in reality, he's missed the handball target.

He's a role player in a strong side, if he was called Daniel Smith would anyone even mention him is I guess my point.
I would argue that i haven't heard that sentiment, consistently, really, since his first couple of years. Luke Darcy piles it on but he overhypes everything as part of his schtick.

And saying he is role player in a strong side is fine. In fact i would agree.
That is very different to saying he is the worst 3 time premiership player ever, however.

ghostdog

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
Maybe our best bet is to keep Zach and go to the draft, let the kids develop and decide what our biggest list need is end 2022 and target them then?

Maybe target someone smaller like Fiorini or Ely Smith if they're still on the outs?
I'd prefer Flanders. Drafted in 2018 at Pick 11, though many thought he'd go higher, and not likely to be getting a game any time soon now Coast have drafted Rowell and Anderson, and Ellis and Greenwood were recruited. Flanders was very highly regarded as a big inside mid; the type that could help maximise the clearance capacities of Caldwell, Parish and Merrett. Should come cheap.

That said, the talk of Tom Green as a possibility is genuinely exciting.

owen87

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I'd prefer Flanders. Drafted in 2018 at Pick 11, though many thought he'd go higher, and not likely to be getting a game any time soon now Coast have drafted Rowell and Anderson, and Ellis and Greenwood were recruited. Flanders was very highly regarded as a big inside mid; the type that could help maximise the clearance capacities of Caldwell, Parish and Merrett. Should come cheap.

Surely GWS don't let Green go?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

11kgm

Premium Platinum
Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Man Utd

Big inside mid he is 181cms same size as Caldwell and from all reports is considered to be a HFF/Mid similar to perkins

ghostdog

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
Big inside mid he is 181cms same size as Caldwell and from all reports is considered to be a HFF/Mid similar to perkins
Draft Central has him at 182cm in his draft year. Smashed it as a forward and equally capable as a mid.

"A PLAYER with plenty of upside and some ready made attributes is Sam Flanders, a Gippsland Power talent who can fulfil the role as a dangerous forward or a damaging inside midfielder."

I'd say Perkins's athleticism makes him a better outside mid/wing/half forward.

Cal Twomey had him at Pick 5:
"Flanders is a high-impact player. He can change a game in a burst, whether it be bolting out of a stoppage and shrugging off tacklers, or when he goes forward, either in the air as a strong overhead mark for his size or when he shows his power at ground level. He rose to the occasion late in the NAB League season with some standout displays and he enjoys being in the action, getting in the face of opponents and the odd scuffle. He's a confident character and plays with that energy."

11kgm

Premium Platinum
Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Man Utd
Draft Central has him at 182cm in his draft year. Smashed it as a forward and equally capable as a mid.

"A PLAYER with plenty of upside and some ready made attributes is Sam Flanders, a Gippsland Power talent who can fulfil the role as a dangerous forward or a damaging inside midfielder."

I'd say Perkins's athleticism makes him a better outside mid/wing/half forward.

Cal Twomey had him at Pick 5:
"Flanders is a high-impact player. He can change a game in a burst, whether it be bolting out of a stoppage and shrugging off tacklers, or when he goes forward, either in the air as a strong overhead mark for his size or when he shows his power at ground level. He rose to the occasion late in the NAB League season with some standout displays and he enjoys being in the action, getting in the face of opponents and the odd scuffle. He's a confident character and plays with that energy."

He doesn't solves our issue of having midgets in the midfield he would be the same as Caldwell

Unless they gave him to us for a late second i would be taking as many pics into this draft as possible

ant555

The Oracle
May 4, 2004
lurking in the shadows of the matrix
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Penrith Panthers
He doesn't solves our issue of having midgets in the midfield he would be the same as Caldwell

Unless they gave him to us for a late second i would be taking as many pics into this draft as possible
The small midfield issue can be solved if Cox and Perkins make it as wingers. Two players that do have some marking power.
I ust hope we can find a decent sized player that can block. We actually have a few decent clearance players.

Remove this Banner Ad