Saturday September 25

Draft Combine – Vic Country
Friday October 1

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday October 3 - Monday October 15

Trade Period (picks and players)
Monday October 4 (9am) – Wednesday October 13 (7.30pm)

Draft Combines (States and Regions)
VM: Saturday October 9 (tbc)
Qld: Sunday October 10

Tas: Monday October 11
SA: Saturday October 16

WA: Sunday October 17
NSW&ACT: tbc
NT: will join SA or Qld

Trade Period (picks only)
Monday October 18 – Monday November 15

List Lodgement 1
Friday October 29

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday November 3 (9am) – Tuesday November 9 (5pm)

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Wednesday November 10 (2pm)

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Thursday November 11 (9am) – Monday November 15 (5pm)

Draft Nominations Due
Wednesday November 17 (3pm)

Pre-Season Commences (First to fourth year players)
Monday November 22

National Draft
Round 1: Wednesday November 24 (7pm)
Round 2–end: Thursday November 25 (7pm)

Rookie Upgrade Period
Thursday November 25 (10pm) - Thursday November 25 (11pm)

Delisted Free Agency Window 3
Thursday November 25 (10pm) - Thursday November 25 (11pm)

Pre-Selected Rookie Nominations Due (Includes Academy, Father/Son)
Friday November 26 (12pm) - Friday November 26 (12.30pm)

Preseason Draft
Friday November 26 (3pm)

Pre-Selected Rookie Notification
Friday November 26 (3.15pm)

Rookie Draft
Friday November 26 (3.20pm)

Final List Lodgement
Monday November 29 (4pm)

Pre-Season Commences (All other players)
Monday December 6

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
December - March (tbc)
Current Contract Status
2021 Draft Watch
Father/Son and NGA
Adrian Dodoro

Last edited:
I can see Merrett fitting in at Melbourne really well. He would complement Oliver and Petracca.

There's probably no way they'd agree, but if Port are so keen on him, I'd be chasing Rozee or Butters in return. High price, but Port are in the window; if they consider Merrett's work to be that valuable to them, it's worth asking.

Alwyn davey jr looks a like a good outside mid through father son. Keep merrett as well then go after best inside mids available next draft

citizen-erased.
Connor Ballenden? Body is ready at least.
If we're asking about Fogarty, I'd hope we're hedging our bets by also asking about Oscar Allen.

Another crack at Dunkley is a must. We need this bloke as we are weak as piss in the contest and will dramatically improve us in this area. Make it happen Dodo!!

Another crack at Dunkley is a must. We need this bloke as we are weak as piss in the contest and will dramatically improve us in this area. Make it happen Dodo!!
I seriously doubt he requests a trade again. He's getting the midfield time he wants, Bulldogs are primed to go deep this year, he'll probably get a healthy pay rise when he extends next year.

i think the Dunkley ship sailed. we can try, i'd be surprised if he listens. target was right. just need to find another one.
Oscar Allen won't leave the Eagles. He and Brander will inherit the fwd line from JJK and Darling.
citizen-erased.
If we're asking about Fogarty, I'd hope we're hedging our bets by also asking about Oscar Allen.
Not sure on Ballenden
the brief glimpses i've seen haven't shown much.

Keep the draft picks

DUNKLEY priority one.

Other I would look at:
Darcy Tucker (if he can get his **** together mind and body might be a low $ risk)

citizen-erased.
There is little to no chance that Allen leaves WCE.

Local WA boy who will have run of their forwardline soon enough. WCE will throw enough money at him to be competitive and keep him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No expensive trades. Gotta keep going through the draft, almost no one wins flags without nailing a few drafts in a row.
This makes sense, I just find the prospect of playing Peter Wright as our key forward for two years really disturbing. What kind of standard does that set for Jones, Eyre and Baldwin at training?

People are already talking about Hooker playing in 2022, forgetting that only eight months ago there was fairly universal agreement that he was cooked. I don't expect him to be playing this strongly in August/September.

This makes sense, I just find the prospect of playing Peter Wright as our key forward for two years really disturbing. What kind of standard does that set for Jones, Eyre and Baldwin at training?

People are already talking about Hooker playing in 2022, forgetting that only eight months ago there was fairly universal agreement that he was cooked. I don't expect him to be playing this strongly in August/September.
Why is it disturbing?

What's wrong with Wright's approach to training?

Why is it disturbing?

What's wrong with Wright's approach to training?
I'm talking about the level he plays at if we're thinking he'll be our key forward when Hooker retires. He's worth a goal a game, maybe two.
At training, as the number one, he will be setting the standard for the young guys to go past when Hooker's gone. Low bar IMO. Hopefully Hurley and Hooker are really instructive.

Keep the draft picks

DUNKLEY priority one.

We aren't keeping our draft picks AND acquiring Dunkley. Its one or the other. He'd be at top dollar right now.

We should just keep our draft picks and back in our recruiters to pick up more blokes of the calibre of our 3 top 10 picks from last year. One more gun midfielder from a top 5 pick could really set us up for a long time.
Dunkley would cost too much (more than a top 5 pick is too much and i can't think of anyone that's had success paying 2 first rounders or equivalent) and we could pick him up only to realise that he's good but not nearly as good when not surrounded by an elite Bulldogs midfield.

There's no point throwing a fortune at an elite player if our list isn't ready to contend. Better to commit to a real rebuild. We've made an excellent start. Cox, Perkins and Reid look extremely promising. As do some of the guys from the prior draft in Bryan and Jones. If we hold the course for another year or two we'll have a real core of a premiership list.

The chances of getting a player from the draft that will not only suit us as much as Dunkley will, be as dominant on the inside as Dunkley is, and have the leadership that he has is incredibly slim. He is in the right age bracket for us, and acquiring him will finally allow us to target other areas of the ground. Should Merrett stay, and we get Dunkley, we'll have: Mcgrath, parish, caldwell, Dunkley, Merrett, Perkins and Shiel running through the midfield, which is more than enough quality at the right age. We need a genuine key forward and key back, winger and a couple of classy flankers (which can be found later in the draft, and one of the Davey twins can assume that role).
As much as I like the look of our young KPPs, I don't think brand will make it, and I don't feel comfortable putting all our eggs in the injury prone eyre and Baldwin basket of them becoming not only durable, but afl quality key forwards to lead a forward line. Jones and Reid im confident will become great 2nd Tall forwards and defenders respectfully, but we need a stand and deliver forward (like McKay, hooker, king) and a stopper defender to allow Reid to play his natural game.

2021 KEY PRE-AGENTS
Adelaide
– N/A
BrisbaneDarcy Gardiner, Daniel McStay, Ryan Lester
CarltonLiam Jones
CollingwoodJordan De Goey, Jamie Elliott, Brayden Maynard, Darcy Moore, Steele Sidebottom
Essendon – Dyson Heppell, Michael Hurley, Kyle Langford
FremantleAlex Pearce
GeelongTom Hawkins, Luke Dahlhaus
Gold CoastTouk Miller
Greater Western SydneyCallan Ward
HawthornJack Gunston, James Sicily, Liam Shiels
MelbourneAngus Brayshaw, Christian Petracca, Tom McDonald
North MelbourneBen Cunnington, Todd Goldstein
Port AdelaideKarl Amon, Travis Boak
RichmondJayden Short, Kane Lambert, Trent Cotchin
St KildaDaniel McKenzie
SydneyIsaac Heeney, Jake Lloyd
West CoastLuke Shuey, Nic Naitanui, Tom Barrass, Jackson Nelson
Western BulldogsCaleb Daniel, Jack Macrae, Toby McLean

Wouldn't mind Miller or Lambert

Lets get some perspective.

As mediocre-to-average as Wright has been to start this year, he is still far more effective than both Eyre and Baldwin would be , considering one ha played football sparingly over the 2 years and the other is coming off his second ACL in as many seasons.

Truck has shown he is willing to blood younger guys. If either pass Wright in the next two years, they will have a chance to show it.

I'm talking about the level he plays at if we're thinking he'll be our key forward when Hooker retires. He's worth a goal a game, maybe two.
At training, as the number one, he will be setting the standard for the young guys to go past when Hooker's gone. Low bar IMO. Hopefully Hurley and Hooker are really instructive.
Who says they where thinking he would be our key forward for 2 years ?
He cost virtually zero and we did not even rush into trading for him until we looked at all options.
He is on stuff all coin and was a bloke they looked at who could provide depth in two spots while Jones and Bryan develop and cover for injury.
That is what clubs do. They trade for cheap bloke who they may get some improvement from and can cover the main guys if needed.
It seems the supporters expected more because the media ran with "replacement for Joe".
I would suggest giving yourself an upper cut if you thought he was going to give us more than a goal a game and some relief as the second ruck.

He cost virtually zero and we did not even rush into trading for him until we looked at all options.
He is on stuff all coin and was a bloke they looked at who could provide depth in two spots while Jones and Bryan develop and cover for injury.
That is what clubs do. They trade for cheap bloke who they may get some improvement from and can cover the main guys if needed.
It seems the supporters expected more because the media ran with "replacement for Joe".
I would suggest giving yourself an upper cut if you thought he was going to give us more than a goal a game and some relief as the second ruck.
They also see 'former top 10 pick' (or whatever he was) and expect he'll automatically be a star. If he was a star we wouldn't have got him for $50 and a half eaten big mac.

They also see 'former top 10 pick' (or whatever he was) and expect he'll automatically be a star. If he was a star we wouldn't have got him for $50 and a half eaten big mac.
GCS did give Martin away for nothing.
They are prone to the odd stupid thing :p

We need a bulldozer. Hooker is going to be a massive absence.
Maybe he can play to 40?

Lets get some perspective.

As mediocre-to-average as Wright has been to start this year, he is still far more effective than both Eyre and Baldwin would be , considering one ha played football sparingly over the 2 years and the other is coming off his second ACL in as many seasons.

Truck has shown he is willing to blood younger guys. If either pass Wright in the next two years, they will have a chance to show it.
Okay so neither of these responses deals with my remark that Wright sets a low bar standards wise for Jones, Eyre or Baldwin to match.

I did remark flippantly that Wright might be our key forward for two years. That was clumsy, but doesn't diminish the point I was trying to make which was that it will take the youngers time to develop.

Yes, Wright was a bargain. No gripe with that. I guess what we're seeing is that you get what you pay for.

All I'm saying is that if there's an AFL ready 21 or 22 year old, for example, who has more upside as a KPF than Wright, then you should make inquiries. Lore has already pointed out that those players are hard to come by and generally not cheap. I'll cop that, but again, I guess you get what you pay for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back