Saturday September 25

Draft Combine – Vic Country
Friday October 1

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday October 3 - Monday October 15

Trade Period (picks and players)
Monday October 4 (9am) – Wednesday October 13 (7.30pm)

Draft Combines (States and Regions)
VM: Saturday October 9 (tbc)
Qld: Sunday October 10

Tas: Monday October 11
SA: Saturday October 16

WA: Sunday October 17
NSW&ACT: tbc
NT: will join SA or Qld

Trade Period (picks only)
Monday October 18 – Monday November 15

List Lodgement 1
Friday October 29

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday November 3 (9am) – Tuesday November 9 (5pm)

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Wednesday November 10 (2pm)

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Thursday November 11 (9am) – Monday November 15 (5pm)

Draft Nominations Due
Wednesday November 17 (3pm)

Pre-Season Commences (First to fourth year players)
Monday November 22

National Draft
Round 1: Wednesday November 24 (7pm)
Round 2–end: Thursday November 25 (7pm)

Rookie Upgrade Period
Thursday November 25 (10pm) - Thursday November 25 (11pm)

Delisted Free Agency Window 3
Thursday November 25 (10pm) - Thursday November 25 (11pm)

Pre-Selected Rookie Nominations Due (Includes Academy, Father/Son)
Friday November 26 (12pm) - Friday November 26 (12.30pm)

Preseason Draft
Friday November 26 (3pm)

Pre-Selected Rookie Notification
Friday November 26 (3.15pm)

Rookie Draft
Friday November 26 (3.20pm)

Final List Lodgement
Monday November 29 (4pm)

Pre-Season Commences (All other players)
Monday December 6

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
December - March (tbc)
Current Contract Status
2021 Draft Watch
Father/Son and NGA
Adrian Dodoro

Last edited:
Said it in the MSD thread but Joel Trudgeon is looking like the man for us in the MSD, averaging 25 touches, 8 tackles and a goal a game for the Knights. 185 cm solidly built midfielder

Finn Maginness is one we should be watching very closely big bodied inside mid, they are now trying to play him as a tagger in the vfl and he’s horribly out of form and nowhere near the afl team. Could he be JPK 2.0

Okay so neither of these responses deals with my remark that Wright sets a low bar standards wise for Jones, Eyre or Baldwin to match.

I did remark flippantly that Wright might be our key forward for two years. That was clumsy, but doesn't diminish the point I was trying to make which was that it will take the youngers time to develop.

Yes, Wright was a bargain. No gripe with that. I guess what we're seeing is that you get what you pay for.

All I'm saying is that if there's an AFL ready 21 or 22 year old, for example, who has more upside as a KPF than Wright, then you should make inquiries. Lore has already pointed out that those players are hard to come by and generally not cheap. I'll cop that, but again, I guess you get what you pay for.

How does he set a low bar standard wise ? He has come to the club, presented in good shape and has not done anything wrong.
So he is an average player. He is not here to make Jones and co better. He is here to compete for a spot. That is it. If Jones , Erye and Baldwin are good enough they will go past him. They are not looking up to him. In fact I suspect they would be working pretty hard to take his spot.
They looked at a lot of options. They knew they where going to take 3 or 4 KP players at the draft if things worked out so they took Wright as cover. In a year where we are in development mode he has provided that cover.

How does he set a low bar standard wise ? He has come to the club, presented in good shape and has not done anything wrong.
So he is an average player. He is not here to make Jones and co better. He is here to compete for a spot. That is it. If Jones , Erye and Baldwin are good enough they will go past him. They are not looking up to him. In fact I suspect they would be working pretty hard to take his spot.
They looked at a lot of options. They knew they where going to take 3 or 4 KP players at the draft if things worked out so they took Wright as cover. In a year where we are in development mode he has provided that cover.
Agree

coming into the season those 3 had 0 AFL games behind them
2 weren't on the list.
Daniher left
Stewart & Laverde ended up going back.
Hooker would have been it
2 weeks in, we had no rucks
Our best forward is likely to retire this year

Wright has been an astute pickup.

Agree

coming into the season those 3 had 0 AFL games behind them
2 weren't on the list.
Daniher left
Stewart & Laverde ended up going back.
Hooker would have been it
2 weeks in, we had no rucks
Our best forward is likely to retire this year

Wright has been an astute pickup.

He's also had 1 hiccup as our "break glass" 1st choice ruck when the opponents really sought to attack him. I think the performance against McInerney is a good enough response to write off the Sydney game.

Let's see where Wright goes from here. The Geelong game may just be a mirage, reflective of his career, but it was bloody good against no less opponent than Blicavs.

We dont need to limit him by reference to the circumstances in which we recruited him.

He's also had 1 hiccup as our "break glass" 1st choice ruck when the opponents really sought to attack him. I think the performance against McInerney is a good enough response to write off the Sydney game.

Let's see where Wright goes from here. The Geelong game may just be a mirage, reflective of his career, but it was bloody good against no less opponent than Blicavs.

We dont need to limit him by reference to the circumstances in which we recruited him.
perfectly fine depth in a critical position

Our forwards are Hooker (32), Jones (5 games), Baldwin (0 games), Eyre (0 games)
Our rucks are Draper (10 games), Phillips (going on 30) and Bryan (0 games)

Wright is 24.
Did not play 2020 at all, and is coming into a new team
Been pretty good....my only criticism is his aggression.
at 100kg plus, should be running through players

A low bar not in terms of his preparation and practice, but in terms of his actual ability and game play.

Yes, he is very average and our young players are competing with him for a spot. Does it not follow that they will only then have to be very average themselves to get a look in? Low bar.

I've rethought this anyway; by the time we know who of Jones, Baldwin or Eyre is ready we'll be in a position to trade a forward in if needs be, and will hopefully settled on another midfielder.

I've never thought of Wright as anything more than cover. S***, I even advocated Ben Brown moreso as cover than anything else, but there it is; the cost v. quality balance.

A low bar not in terms of his preparation and practice, but in terms of his actual ability and game play.

Yes, he is very average and our young players are competing with him for a spot. Does it not follow that they will only then have to be very average themselves to get a look in? Low bar.

I've rethought this anyway; by the time we know who of Jones, Baldwin or Eyre is ready we'll be in a position to trade a forward in if needs be, and will hopefully settled on another midfielder.

I've never thought of Wright as anything more than cover. S***, I even advocated Ben Brown moreso as cover than anything else, but there it is; the cost v. quality balance.

To put it in to perspective, Mitch Brown has been a better player than Ben Brown so far this season, let alone Peter Wright.

If Jones, Baldwin and Eyre are content with simply being 'average' players, it won't be the fault of Peter Wright.

To put it in to perspective, Mitch Brown has been a better player than Ben Brown so far this season, let alone Peter Wright.

If Jones, Baldwin and Eyre are content with simply being 'average' players, it won't be the fault of Peter Wright.
Okay, so how do you measure the influence of Ben Brown and his insights as a forward, as well as Weideman and Fritsch, on the form of Mitch Brown?

I'm not suggesting that the development of our young players is Wright's responsibility at all, but surely you develop more strongly when you are surrounded by people who are better at their craft. I don't think that's ill-logic.

Okay, so how do you measure the influence of Ben Brown and his insights as a forward, as well as Weideman and Fritsch, on the form of Mitch Brown?

I'm not suggesting that the development of our young players is Wright's responsibility at all, but surely you develop more strongly when you are surrounded by people who are better at their craft. I don't think that's ill-logic.

How do you measure something that can't be measured? I don't know.

All I know, is that for all the noise about Ben Brown and how s**t the club apparently was for not picking him up, he's contributed 0 on-field this year whilst Peter Wright has filled our ruck sized chasm whilst costing stuff all in trade currency.

How do you measure something that can't be measured? I don't know.

All I know, is that for all the noise about Ben Brown and how sh*t the club apparently was for not picking him up, he's contributed 0 on-field this year whilst Peter Wright has filled our ruck sized chasm whilst costing stuff all in trade currency.
He's been injured all season.
Who said the club was s**t for not picking him up?

We're in a rebuild and it's because we don't have enough quality players. It certainly helps the development of the youngsters to have guns to learn from but it doesn't necessarily mean they'll rest on their laurels and not strive to be their best - they are hard workers which was one of the reasons they were drafted.

You only have to look at Jack or Kennedy at key forwards who established themselves in weak forward lines. What about the GWS midfield guns who have left because they are stuck behind stars and not getting games. I don't think it is as straight forward as (paraphrased) 'you need guns for the young guys to learn off otherwise they wont push themselves and will be s**t' as if it is a self perpetuating situation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's been injured all season.

Yes, and Wright hasn't. So who's contributed more? The guy not on the park, or the one who is?

Who said the club was sh*t for not picking him up?

Plenty of people on here got very upset that we didn't appear to try for Brown, despite it being very clear that he was completely wrong for our list profile.

We're in a rebuild and it's because we don't have enough quality players. It certainly helps the development of the youngsters to have guns to learn from but it doesn't necessarily mean they'll rest on their laurels and not strive to be their best - they are hard workers which was one of the reasons they were drafted.

You only have to look at Jack or Kennedy at key forwards who established themselves in weak forward lines. What about the GWS midfield guns who have left because they are stuck behind stars and not getting games. I don't think it is as straight forward as (paraphrased) 'you need guns for the young guys to learn off otherwise they wont push themselves and will be sh*t' as if it is a self perpetuating situation.
Good, I'm glad we agree, except your paraphrasing is more hyperbolic than what I've suggested.
Yes, and Wright hasn't. So who's contributed more? The guy not on the park, or the one who is?
Right, as if Brown wouldn't contribute more if he weren't injured.
Again, players surely you develop more strongly when they are surrounded by people who are better at their craft.

My argument has always been that we only needed Brown as cover and support for the development of the younger players. 2 years max. Draws attention away from the youngers, allows them to develop. Again, I accept the cost v. quality balance. It is what it is.

Do not agree at all.
Why would we want a older forward with a suspect knee ? Hooker can teach the yong blokes a few things and even Hurley who played a decent amount of forward early as well.
It is a rebuild. You take a punt on a younger guy who if it goes well may give you something.
I still think Wright has something to offer as second forward / second ruck even if he is just a C grade .

Do not agree at all.
Why would we want a older forward with a suspect knee ? Hooker can teach the yong blokes a few things and even Hurley who played a decent amount of forward early as well.
It is a rebuild. You take a punt on a younger guy who if it goes well may give you something.
I still think Wright has something to offer as second forward / second ruck even if he is just a C grade .
Fair call. Didn't really think of Hooker or Hurley. Shame on me! Fourth in the Coleman count!

Good, I'm glad we agree, except your paraphrasing is more hyperbolic than what I've suggested.

Again, players surely you develop more strongly when they are surrounded by people who are better at their craft.

My argument has always been that we only needed Brown as cover and support for the development of the younger players. 2 years max. Draws attention away from the youngers, allows them to develop. Again, I accept the cost v. quality balance. It is what it is.

Brown certainly wouldnt be playing as a ruckman if he was fit, which he isn't.

If we took Brown then we play with an under done ruck the last 2 weeks

Could potentially have picks 4 & 5(compo for losing Merrett).
Would the best thing to be to trade one of those picks and a future first rounder to WB for Dunkley and their future second and third rounder.
Absolutely no chance.

I maintain that if Merrett leaves Melbourne would be a win for all parties. They take Merrett, give him plenty of cash, we absorb the contract of Brayshaw at a cut price.

Melbourne get outside class in Merrett to go witht their inside core of Viney, Brayshaw, Petracca, Harmes and (potentially) Sparrow
We get a first round pick and a very good inside mid to compliment our core of McGrath, Shiel, Caldwell and Parish (who might leave as well)

I maintain that if Merrett leaves Melbourne would be a win for all parties. They take Merrett, give him plenty of cash, we absorb the contract of Brayshaw at a cut price.

Melbourne get outside class in Merrett to go witht their inside core of Viney, Brayshaw, Petracca, Harmes and (potentially) Sparrow
We get a first round pick and a very good inside mid to compliment our core of McGrath, Shiel, Caldwell and Parish (who might leave as well)
We get Merrett compo pick & don't match + Dees throw us Brayshaw for cheap (F2 perhaps) with us picking up the tabs?

I can handle Zach at the Dees. That would be the limit of it.
I don't mind that deal either. Primarily because we get a quality AFL mid back cheap. Cushions the blow of losing Merrett

We get Merrett compo pick & don't match + Dees throw us Brayshaw for cheap (F2 perhaps) with us picking up the tabs?

I can handle Zach at the Dees. That would be the limit of it.
I don't mind that deal either. Primarily because we get a quality AFL mid back cheap. Cushions the blow of losing Merrett
It balances our midfield a lot more because Brayshaw is a two way mid, unlike a few of ours.

If we get a top pick for Merrett is it worth swapping for two first rounders ?

Richmond currently have 11 and 14 and Brisbane have 9 and 17. Just say we end up with Pick 4/5 would it be worth trading down?

Example- 9 and 17 for 4 and 42
11 and 14 for 5 and a Future Third

Gives us- 9, 11, 14 and 17

Draft 4 of any of these players
John Sinn Utility
Braden Andrews Midfielder
Matthew Johnson Midfielder
Matthew Roberts Midfielder
Jacob Van Rooyen Key Forward
Samuel Banks Midfielder
Ned Long Midfielder
Lachlan Rankin Defender/Midfielder