List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency IX

Remove this Banner Ad

Hak94

Senior List
Apr 27, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
Both Brodie and Sier are about 190cm. Sier really needs a consistent run at it so hopefully with Treloar gone that's what we'll see. StatsPro tells me Brodie wins more contested ball but is still only average, above average for centre clearances though.
Both look ordinary stats-wise but we would want that player to do a lot of work off the ball anyway, blocking, drawing players and making space.
Who are the other options?
I'd probably take Brodie over Sier, even though Sier looks a fraction more proven. Plus, Brodie would cost less than Sier even then not by a lot I don't think.

ghostdog

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
I'd probably take Brodie over Sier, even though Sier looks a fraction more proven. Plus, Brodie would cost less than Sier even then not by a lot I don't think.
I'd also be keen make inquiries after Lipinski and Tom Green. Green would be brilliant but I think GWS would be hard to deal with McCartney seems like a toss.

Hak94

Senior List
Apr 27, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
I'd also be keen make inquiries after Lipinski and Tom Green. Green would be brilliant but I think GWS would be hard to deal with McCartney seems like a toss.
Don't think GWS love dealing with us either haha, so they'd probably play hardball on dealing Green. Also, with Kelly looking like he may want a fresh start, if he leaves I think they might look to keep him (even though they obviously play different). Plus, knowing how hard they played with Caldwell, they'll probably look for exactly the same return in terms of a trade for Green. On that, I think we're probably just better off going to the draft to find a young mid. Lipinski is an interesting option though, but there'd be at least half a dozen teams (if not more) looking at him too.

ILikeCheese

Senior List
Apr 24, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
23 games in 4 years and still can’t break into the side, can’t imagine Brodie would cost much in a trade. If anything would be good depth for us. Probably just needs a good crack at it instead of being dropped, he obviously has some deficiencies but if we use him right could be another good value cheap trade like Wright.

MarkJohnson#1

Club Legend
Nov 14, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Australia | Liverpool
Has Brodie been injured ?
I have not been a fan but he did a heap of work pre season and was in the best shape he has been in but I notice he has been out of the side since round 3.
I see he had 31 touches in the VFL last week.
He had 41 and 10 tackles today. I haven’t really liked what I’ve seen in the past (albeit very little recent form) but the numbers look pretty good.

Cup_o_Jobe

Team Captain
Aug 9, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
We can use the patented Dodo "recruit the brother, bait the trap" method we're trying with the Dunkleys by picking up Tom's brother Josh in the MSD. Looks a handy enough player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

eth-dog

Premium Platinum
Jan 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg Lions, All Boston sides
I still think we need another mature ruckman. Phillips struggles to stay fit.

Luke Strnadica is dominating the WAFL after being cut by Freo. Oliver Eastland is another that I've liked for a long time now.

Yoda_

Hall of Famer
May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
I still think we need another mature ruckman. Phillips struggles to stay fit.

Luke Strnadica is dominating the WAFL after being cut by Freo. Oliver Eastland is another that I've liked for a long time now.
You could almost make a case for selecting a raw 18 ear old in the rookie draft. Bryan is close to being a #2 and Draper very clearly our #1.

Phillips in no mans land imho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ghostdog

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
Big midfielder
Medium fwd
Medium def
Small fwd &/or def

How medium defender when we have four in Laverde, Francis, Ridley and Redman, with Gleeson in reserve? Not enough?
Medium forward I'm looking at Langford and Stringer mainly, so I get that.

Hak94

Senior List
Apr 27, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
How medium defender when we have four in Laverde, Francis, Ridley and Redman, with Gleeson in reserve? Not enough?
I agree, our medium defender stocks are pretty solid so it's not that high of a priority. You also throw in Heppell into that now too as I don't see him returning back to the middle with the players we have in there now. Clear need for a big bodied mid but I also think another KPD wouldn't go astray. Whether that's through the draft or hunting around for someone on a list that is fringe and can't break into the 22.

Hak94

Senior List
Apr 27, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
Redman isn't a medium defender
Comes in at 187cm, not sure what you classify as a medium defender height wise but I think at that height it sure puts him in the frame haha. Only 3cm shorter than Heppell who plays on the medium/smalls. Height only plays a part though, if you look at who he plays on he tends to move between those smalls/med forwards though.

eth-dog

Premium Platinum
Jan 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg Lions, All Boston sides
Comes in at 187cm, not sure what you classify as a medium defender height wise but I think at that height it sure puts him in the frame haha. Only 3cm shorter than Heppell who plays on the medium/smalls. Height only plays a part though, if you look at who he plays on he tends to move between those smalls/med forwards though.
I define mediums in the way they play. He plays on small forwards, isn't really an intercept player, rebounds with speed. He's a small

Yoda_

Hall of Famer
May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Stated earlier but someone who can eventually move up to the wing. Runs all day, reasonably good skills. None of those you listed are going to be wingman imho

Hak94

Senior List
Apr 27, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
Do we really need another wingman when we've got Cox, Ham and Langford?
Cox looks like a definite lock for that position for the future. Ham has been consistent and is constantly improving but the jury is still out as to whether he can lockdown that spot/his place in the team IMO. Signs are positive but I think if someone else came through and they could play that other wing he may find himself in competition. He's a strong two way runner though, just needs a little more size and to find more confidence. I am finding I am growing to like him as a player though.

Not sure Langford is a wingman. Think he suits being thrown in the middle every so often, plus rotating up forward as he can kick a goal or two at times.

Remove this Banner Ad