Saturday September 25

Draft Combine – Vic Country
Friday October 1

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday October 3 - Monday October 15

Trade Period (picks and players)
Monday October 4 (9am) – Wednesday October 13 (7.30pm)

Draft Combines (States and Regions)
VM: Saturday October 9 (tbc)
Qld: Sunday October 10

Tas: Monday October 11
SA: Saturday October 16

WA: Sunday October 17
NSW&ACT: tbc
NT: will join SA or Qld

Trade Period (picks only)
Monday October 18 – Monday November 15

List Lodgement 1
Friday October 29

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday November 3 (9am) – Tuesday November 9 (5pm)

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Wednesday November 10 (2pm)

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Thursday November 11 (9am) – Monday November 15 (5pm)

Draft Nominations Due
Wednesday November 17 (3pm)

Pre-Season Commences (First to fourth year players)
Monday November 22

National Draft
Round 1: Wednesday November 24 (7pm)
Round 2–end: Thursday November 25 (7pm)

Rookie Upgrade Period
Thursday November 25 (10pm) - Thursday November 25 (11pm)

Delisted Free Agency Window 3
Thursday November 25 (10pm) - Thursday November 25 (11pm)

Pre-Selected Rookie Nominations Due (Includes Academy, Father/Son)
Friday November 26 (12pm) - Friday November 26 (12.30pm)

Preseason Draft
Friday November 26 (3pm)

Pre-Selected Rookie Notification
Friday November 26 (3.15pm)

Rookie Draft
Friday November 26 (3.20pm)

Final List Lodgement
Monday November 29 (4pm)

Pre-Season Commences (All other players)
Monday December 6

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
December - March (tbc)
Current Contract Status
2021 Draft Watch
Father/Son and NGA
Adrian Dodoro

Last edited:
Weren't most of these guys late / rookie selections?
Only Jetta (assuming Lewis, not Neville), Smith, Milera (hardly a compelling argument anyway) and Quaynor were before the 3rd round. All were first round, but still

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Weren't most of these guys late / rookie selections?
Bit of a mix without really looking into it

No doubt we need to find one and i think we all know that and the club aswell after targetting Jetta and declining the offer and the bid on B.Walker

I still think we have players within that can turn defense into attack quickly across half back with some pace guys like Merrett, Tippa ect

Im not sure i buy enough of Ridley, Francis, N.Cox, Heppell as genuine half backs that do that for me but happy to be proven wrong. One of them can work with a quick but not a combination of these guys

Hind has the zip and line breaking but no penetration in his game and just dont trust his kicking

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
Who was that dashing half back flanker training with us last year? Nigel Lockyer?

If Cedric Cox didnt return to WA id hope we give him a chance to train with the club

Or talk Mckenna into coming back

Seems like it might be difficult to replace the half backs. Probably dont want to take one with a top 4-6 pick next year

Redmans fine as a half back i feel. Maybe doesnt have the zip we need which i think is what we will be lacking and find hardest to replace. Hopefully we can get a couple of late ganes into L.Johnson see what he will offer over say a Guelfi

Jetta, Johannisen, Wilson, Z.Williams, Saad, Z.Tuohy, B.Smith, Milera, Lloyd, Quaynor provide that

I wonder if we will have a good look at Salem/Josh Kelly as FAs

Maybe dont rule out Tippa

Snelling, Smith, Cahill, Ham, Mozzie, L.Johnson might be able to play the 2-3 small forward role for us in the next 2-3 years
I think Lockyer was a forward.

Re: the need for speed out of the backline, I'd hope the loss of Saad and McKenna can be compensated for somewhat by quality disposal by foot from the likes of Ridley and Francis. It won't replace them by any means, but it's something going forward now that we could have Cox and Langford on the wings to take marks.

The other possibility could be the NGA boys next year. Not sure if there are any small defenders among them though.

Last edited:

Cup_o_Jobe

All Australian
Aug 9, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
I know there is a lot of focus on losing the pace of Saad/McKenna, but to the extent we could glean anything earlier this year about the Truck game plan, my sense is that it doesn't include run-and-carry from defense. From what I saw, I think Truck wants people who have clean hands and clean disposal and to break the lines by kicking across and out of the zone. It may be part of what disgruntled Saad this year in that he was suddenly being told to give up his natural game and become accountable to a player.

All that to say, I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out our list priority isn't so much to find new rebounded HBFs as it is to find another strong one-on-one, accountable small defender.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
I know there is a lot of focus on losing the pace of Saad/McKenna, but to the extent we could glean anything earlier this year about the Truck game plan, my sense is that it doesn't include run-and-carry from defense. From what I saw, I think Truck wants people who have clean hands and clean disposal and to break the lines by kicking across and out of the zone. It may be part of what disgruntled Saad this year in that he was suddenly being told to give up his natural game and become accountable to a player.

All that to say, I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out our list priority isn't so much to find new rebounded HBFs as it is to find another strong one-on-one, accountable small defender.
I mentioned elsewhere that our 'rebound' to supercede the exit of those players will probably be by foot. Ridley and Francis mainly I think. I reckon Francis is the more creative of the two. If Redman gets his kicking boots back again he can also have fairly potent delivery.

I don't think run and carry will be totally out though. We brought Hind in; he's quick. We saw the beginnings of an aggressive forward handball aspect of Rutten's style last year as well. A penetrating kick can complement a hard running player who receives from the marking player, so I'm really hoping to see some running from Hind (if only to stick it up Saad).

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Adam Cerra?

Contract ends next year. 187cm midfielder

Wasnt exactly overly keen on being drafted by fremantle but reports from within say hes taken to it better than what he thought he would

Id hooe were in his ear. Wont come cheap but his age profile suits us and hes quality. Just whether he can show enough as an inside mid.

Was an inside mid in the draft who could go forward and impact. Can also play across half back

Fin ice Smuggler

Cancelled
Nov 13, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Adam Cerra?

Wasnt exactly overly keen on being drafted by fremantle but reports from within say hes taken to it better than what he thought he would

Id hooe were in his ear. Wont come cheap but his age profile suits us and hes quality. Just whether he can show enough as an inside mid.

Was an inside mid in the draft who could go forward and impact. Can also play across half back

I like him but is the cost worth it? We’d expect to get someone of similar if not higher quality with our first pick next year.

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
I like him but is the cost worth it? We’d expect to get someone of similar if not higher quality with our first pick next year.

Yeh we would i guess you know youve probably got him for the next 8 years and those 8 years are his best football whereas a brand new kid takes a few years like he has to get where he is now

Im not sure how much his cost draft pick wise if hes uncontracted and wants to get home and a few vic clubs expected to finish at the bottom if he opted for PSD ie Roos, Hawks, Dons. Initially i did think it will cost us our first rounder which in all likelihood would be a top 6 pick

Adam Cerra?

why not get an actual inside mid instead of a maybe inside mid?

I’m a massive fan of Cerra, but it’s not happening. They’d ask for way more than we’d be willing to give up, and rightfully so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dons4Life

Senior List
May 22, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Anyone got any idea of anyone that is training with the club looking to be picked up to fill our open list spot/s ( moz going on inactive list) before the season starts.

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
why not get an actual inside mid instead of a maybe inside mid?
Eventually he becomes an inside mid i dont have any concerns around that

Look id prefer to throw the same cost at Oliver and Dunkley and my order would be for the same price

Oliver
Dunkley/Cerra

Just saying hes a viable player to consider ticks alot of boxes

You cant just be a genuine inside mid. You need other tools. Weve see that with the failures of Hibberd D.Clarke and obviousily didnt see anything more in a guy like W.Brodie

Back at Carlton, McDonald will be joined by overlooked draft prospect Zavier Maher and former Richmond and Carlton tall Callum Moore, who was delisted by the Blues at the end of 2020.

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
How does the MSDs work in 2021?

You can pick up anyone at anytime? Is the draft order based on current ladder position or finishing position from year before

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
Eventually he becomes an inside mid i dont have any concerns around that

Look id prefer to throw the same cost at Oliver and Dunkley and my order would be for the same price

Oliver
Dunkley/Cerra

Just saying hes a viable player to consider ticks alot of boxes

You cant just be a genuine inside mid. You need other tools. Weve see that with the failures of Hibberd D.Clarke and obviousily didnt see anything more in a guy like W.Brodie
I don't think Hibberd really got an opportunity to be a genuine inside mid with us, let alone time to develop in a position that didn't come as naturally to him. Tall order for a fringe player. I wouldn't have been unhappy if he was still on the list.

We've been talking about Laverde playing a midfield role; what's the difference between him and Hibberd? Lav might be able to play two roles, but he's been given ample time to develop some forward craft where Hibberd got a few games on a wing. Both have only shown glimpses for us through an inside mid role, but Hibberd had shown plenty of development through there for Williamstown apparently. Laverde has spent a good amount of time injured.

It's this kind of misuse of players, or squandering their time and talent, that I find so frustrating about the club at times. Got a need for a big inside mid? Recruit a big inside mid - problem solved. Not us. We give them the role of boot strapper or orange boy or something.

We might now recruit a Dunkley or Oliver or Cerra (who is a bit smaller?) or some other marquee signing and we'll all be excited about that, but it glosses over the bull**** like how we treated Hibberd and were none the wiser about what he could have become for us.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
How does the MSDs work in 2021?

You can pick up anyone at anytime? Is the draft order based on current ladder position or finishing position from year before
The SSP window opens the 6th of January and closes on the 9th of March.

The MSD is based on the ladder position before the MSD draft. If we're last, we get the first selection.

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
I don't think Hibberd really got an opportunity to be a genuine inside mid with us, let alone time to develop in a position that didn't come as naturally to him. Tall order for a fringe player. I wouldn't have been unhappy if he was still on the list.

We've been talking about Laverde playing a midfield role; what's the difference between him and Hibberd? Lav might be able to play two roles, but he's been given ample time to develop some forward craft where Hibberd got a few games on a wing. Both have only shown glimpses for us through an inside mid role, but Hibberd had shown plenty of development through there for Williamstown apparently. Laverde has spent a good amount of time injured.

It's this kind of misuse of players, or squandering their time and talent, that I find so frustrating about the club at times. Got a need for a big inside mid? Recruit a big inside mid - problem solved. Not us. We give them the role of boot strapper or orange boy or something.

We might now recruit a Dunkley or Oliver or Cerra (who is a bit smaller?) or some other marquee signing and we'll all be excited about that, but it glosses over the bull**** like how we treated Hibberd and were none the wiser about what he could have become for us.
Diverting a bit.

But maybe Hibberd simply didnt show enough at training/match sim to suggest he should be picked in the middle ahead of Zerrett, Shiel, Mcgrath, Parish. Yes he has size on all of them but its the overall package

I do understand what your saying. He played pretty well as a big inside mid at williamstown than never really got the chance at AFL but you need to earn your chance and not just be given it because you are a certain cm/kg

My advise is to give the SSP a miss - Better to target the Mid-season Draft in which you can target the 19 year old Vic players who missed NAB footy in 2020.
SSP is a free for all until early March.

MSD is reverse ladder order after 4, 8 and 12 rounds respectively.

If we get a difficult draw in the first four rounds we could end up with the last pick in that first draft.. not sure a month of footy is really going to change that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back