Saturday September 25

Draft Combine – Vic Country
Friday October 1

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday October 3 - Monday October 15

Trade Period (picks and players)
Monday October 4 (9am) – Wednesday October 13 (7.30pm)

Draft Combines (States and Regions)
VM: Saturday October 9 (tbc)
Qld: Sunday October 10

Tas: Monday October 11
SA: Saturday October 16

WA: Sunday October 17
NSW&ACT: tbc
NT: will join SA or Qld

Trade Period (picks only)
Monday October 18 – Monday November 15

List Lodgement 1
Friday October 29

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday November 3 (9am) – Tuesday November 9 (5pm)

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Wednesday November 10 (2pm)

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Thursday November 11 (9am) – Monday November 15 (5pm)

Draft Nominations Due
Wednesday November 17 (3pm)

Pre-Season Commences (First to fourth year players)
Monday November 22

National Draft
Round 1: Wednesday November 24 (7pm)
Round 2–end: Thursday November 25 (7pm)

Rookie Upgrade Period
Thursday November 25 (10pm) - Thursday November 25 (11pm)

Delisted Free Agency Window 3
Thursday November 25 (10pm) - Thursday November 25 (11pm)

Pre-Selected Rookie Nominations Due (Includes Academy, Father/Son)
Friday November 26 (12pm) - Friday November 26 (12.30pm)

Preseason Draft
Friday November 26 (3pm)

Pre-Selected Rookie Notification
Friday November 26 (3.15pm)

Rookie Draft
Friday November 26 (3.20pm)

Final List Lodgement
Monday November 29 (4pm)

Pre-Season Commences (All other players)
Monday December 6

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
December - March (tbc)
Current Contract Status
2021 Draft Watch
Father/Son and NGA
Adrian Dodoro

Last edited:
I question whether a guy like Narkle would cross over to us, seems like he’d be in a similar place, pecking order wise given we’ve got a lot of smaller rotational mids and half forwards. I’d love him though, exciting and powerful for such a small frame.

Same thing goes for Ross and probably Hewett as well, currently on the fringe, would probably be on the fringe with us too, would build great depth and create great competition for spots in the middle.

Knowing where he sits, Narkle would almost be my first choice.

Likely only cost a second / third at best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And that's fine! I just don't think people should use Bryan as an excuse for not wanting Chol.

On Pixel 3 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Chol's a pretty decent player I reckon. But I wouldn't go after him as we honestly have enough talls and Chol is another 'good but not great' tall like a Wright. Chol's best position from what I've seen is key forward resting ruck which is basically Wright's role and I don't think he'd be an improvement (or at least not a big one). Bryan I think is the next in line for that type of role and he could be better than Chol and Wright but he'll need time to develop.
Even a guy like Cox may end up doing that sort of role (I'd like him to stay on the wing but he's said it himself he has KPP aspirations).

We can't fit more talls in our senior side without pushing others out. Meanwhile we are paper thin depth wise through our midfield (and smalls in our forward and backlines). Its the wrong balance.

When we got Wright and Hind - the reason those trades look so great is we got guys that fill real needs for budget prices. I'd prefer that we stick to that kind of ethos for another year or two until we truly get a strong core which is part of what we did wrong in our last build (going too early with trading high draft picks because we didn't accurately judge where we were at).

Chol's a pretty decent player I reckon. But I wouldn't go after him as we honestly have enough talls and Chol is another 'good but not great' tall like a Wright. Chol's best position from what I've seen is key forward resting ruck which is basically Wright's role and I don't think he'd be an improvement (or at least not a big one). Bryan I think is the next in line for that type of role and he could be better than Chol and Wright but he'll need time to develop.
Even a guy like Cox may end up doing that sort of role (I'd like him to stay on the wing but he's said it himself he has KPP aspirations).

We can't fit more talls in our senior side without pushing others out. Meanwhile we are paper thin depth wise through our midfield (and smalls in our forward and backlines). Its the wrong balance.

When we got Wright and Hind - the reason those trades look so great is we got guys that fill real needs for budget prices. I'd prefer that we stick to that kind of ethos for another year or two until we truly get a strong core which is part of what we did wrong in our last build (going too early with trading high draft picks because we didn't accurately judge where we were at).
We're not gonna get far with only three rucks on our list, especially when one's under 20 (Bryan), one's almost 30 (Phillips), and the other one is injury prone (Draper).

Dodo needs to work on Walsh when he is uncontracted at the end of 2022, happy to give up two firsts for him.
He actually looks so beaten up at times in that midfield group at Carlton, absolutely no support from anyone. I feel sorry for him. Shutdown Walsh and they're isn't much to them. He totally looks like he'd dominate or have an even bigger impact with classier bodies around him. Can't see Carlton letting him walk out the door, he's their most important player and next captain so I'm sure they're likely to pay him whatever he wants. Plus, we're talking about Carlton here, they're notorious for paying overs on their players.

Wouldn't mind him though, he's a rolls royce type of midfielder.

We're not gonna get far with only three rucks on our list, especially when one's under 20 (Bryan), one's almost 30 (Phillips), and the other one is injury prone (Draper).

Hmmm I reckon plenty of sides go better than us with ruck divisions no better than ours right now if not straight up worse. Geelong, Brisbane, Bulldogs don't exactly have the best ruck divisions but all are far better teams than we are and it ain't because of their rucks.
3 decent AFL level prospects plus Wright who is at least decent ruck backup I think is plenty. Having a stronger midfield is far more important.

But I guess its up for debate how valuable the ruck role really is in the modern game.

I question whether a guy like Narkle would cross over to us, seems like he’d be in a similar place, pecking order wise given we’ve got a lot of smaller rotational mids and half forwards. I’d love him though, exciting and powerful for such a small frame.

Same thing goes for Ross and probably Hewett as well, currently on the fringe, would probably be on the fringe with us too, would build great depth and create great competition for spots in the middle.
Pecking order wise, we have zero depth in our small forwards and mids. We lost Smith and Snelling and then we name Ambrose as sub to play the role FFS.

Even if he was depth, he could still very easily play every single week. And I don't think it would be hard task for him to progress past some to be best 22.

On SM-G986B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Quinton Narkle is a guy I'd love but he's almost certain to go back to WA, isn't he?

It also depends on the development of Cahill IMO. If he's able to become Snelling-lite pressure wise whilst being able to get that 1-1.5 goals/game that's something we'll be able to use.

Ed Richards is another wing/forward who could be cheap. Can't crack the Bulldogs side this year.

Pecking order wise, we have zero depth in our small forwards and mids. We lost Smith and Snelling and then we name Ambrose as sub to play the role FFS.

Even if he was depth, he could still very easily play every single week. And I don't think it would be hard task for him to progress past some to be best 22.

I think Clarke might also have been tried in that Snelling role but obviously hasn't worked either. Agree, that we are lucky Tippa is so resilient. If he goes down there is no like for like replacement.

I think the midfield depth looks worse than it is because we have a number of injuries in that area (Shiel, McGrath and Caldwell is a solid starting midfield right there).

If the aim is for Bryan and Draper to tag team in the ruck, then Bryan's gonna have to surpass Wright and be that third tall in the forwardline. 'Cause he sure as sh*t ain't ever getting a game over Hooker and Jones.

If the club thought he was ready to be our Number 2, they would have played him or at least named him as an emergency this week with Wright coming back from a calf injury and no certainty to actually play on Sunday. They didn't though, so there's clearly a need that a guy like Chol could fill.

I dare say he’ll go past hooker at some point next year, hooker might not even go on.

Agree with all of that, but as I said, it’s not like a Prismall situation where he’s not playing and leaves to just slot straight in for a side that has a clear hole.

Would imagine it’d be harder to sell him on it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d add Farrell to that as well but Port probably loathe to give him up given Fantasia has a dickey everything.

Ainsworth if he doesn’t want to rot in the magoos, Brodie as a last chance saloon type thing. Seems like everyone that leaves instantly gets better so it’d be about spotting a roughie.

We should be looking to pillage GC this off-season. Don't see many players outside of Touk Miller and co looking like they really want to be there. All playing with one eye on the door IMO.

I’d add Farrell to that as well but Port probably loathe to give him up given Fantasia has a dickey everything.

Ainsworth if he doesn’t want to rot in the magoos, Brodie as a last chance saloon type thing. Seems like everyone that leaves instantly gets better so it’d be about spotting a roughie.
I think Farrell needs to play more on a wing than as a small forward, much like Amon. Though I think adding Durham has mitigated that need for a bit right now.

Ainsworth is absolutely someone I'd target. Would easily slide into Dev's spot in the side.

We should be looking to pillage GC this off-season. Don't see many players outside of Touk Miller and co looking like they really want to be there. All playing with one eye on the door IMO.
Wonder if the rumours are true about Rankine wanting to go home are true?

Im warming to the idea of Seb Ross as FA.

188cm, 86 kg inside midfielder with high character that has also shown the flexibility to play as a tagger, off half back or on the wing in a pinch.

Only question is he turns 29 next year, so will he be around long enough for our next finals tilt? I dont think that matters if his salary isnt too high and he would be a good stop gap/on field cover until guys like Perkins and Caldwell are further developed. Then he has the flexibility to move to the periphery, just like Heppell atm.

It looks like character and on field flexibility are being targeted in recruits, and as a FA we can get him for free. St Kilda might be happy with a 2nd round compo though they wouldnt have a choice as he is an UFA.

Ross or Hewett would be good gets in my minds.

I think Farrell needs to play more on a wing than as a small forward, much like Amon. Though I think adding Durham has mitigated that need for a bit right now.

Ainsworth is absolutely someone I'd target. Would easily slide into Dev's spot in the side.

He’s got serious ping in his leg, I’d back him to play pretty much anywhere but on ball to be honest.

If it keeps going like this the storm is coming again at GC, I don’t think we’re first in line but I want to be there to pick up the pieces. Sexton has been in and out, if they want to real young they might off load him to give Ainsworth and Rankine the keys.

No to Ross.

If we are pushing for an older bloke go at McIntosh from Richmond.

Hard running wing with physicality is something we also need.

Other than that we need to build our small forward stocks.
Kamdyn McIntosh is terrible. Seb Ross would cost a similar amount and be miles better.
He’s got serious ping in his leg, I’d back him to play pretty much anywhere but on ball to be honest.

If it keeps going like this the storm is coming again at GC, I don’t think we’re first in line but I want to be there to pick up the pieces. Sexton has been in and out, if they want to real young they might off load him to give Ainsworth and Rankine the keys.
He's struggled to get into the game when playing forward. I rate him too FWIW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back