Saturday September 25

Draft Combine – Vic Country
Friday October 1

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday October 3 - Monday October 15

Trade Period (picks and players)
Monday October 4 (9am) – Wednesday October 13 (7.30pm)

Draft Combines (States and Regions)
VM: Saturday October 9 (tbc)
Qld: Sunday October 10

Tas: Monday October 11
SA: Saturday October 16

WA: Sunday October 17
NSW&ACT: tbc
NT: will join SA or Qld

Trade Period (picks only)
Monday October 18 – Monday November 15

List Lodgement 1
Friday October 29

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday November 3 (9am) – Tuesday November 9 (5pm)

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Wednesday November 10 (2pm)

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Thursday November 11 (9am) – Monday November 15 (5pm)

Draft Nominations Due
Wednesday November 17 (3pm)

Pre-Season Commences (First to fourth year players)
Monday November 22

National Draft
Round 1: Wednesday November 24 (7pm)
Round 2–end: Thursday November 25 (7pm)

Rookie Upgrade Period
Thursday November 25 (10pm) - Thursday November 25 (11pm)

Delisted Free Agency Window 3
Thursday November 25 (10pm) - Thursday November 25 (11pm)

Pre-Selected Rookie Nominations Due (Includes Academy, Father/Son)
Friday November 26 (12pm) - Friday November 26 (12.30pm)

Preseason Draft
Friday November 26 (3pm)

Pre-Selected Rookie Notification
Friday November 26 (3.15pm)

Rookie Draft
Friday November 26 (3.20pm)

Final List Lodgement
Monday November 29 (4pm)

Pre-Season Commences (All other players)
Monday December 6

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
December - March (tbc)
Current Contract Status
2021 Draft Watch
Father/Son and NGA
Adrian Dodoro

Last edited:
Depending where he goes, surely we match any bid for Merrett and ask for two firsts?

St. Kilda seems like an obvious destination to me and I doubt they go so deep into finals that we can't get that.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
Depending where he goes, surely we match any bid for Merrett and ask for two firsts?

St. Kilda seems like an obvious destination to me and I doubt they go so deep into finals that we can't get that.

If we are down the bottom of the ladder and could get like pick 1-5 it might not even be worth matching. Even if you got something like pick 10 and 12 it might be better to get the one elite pick and not have to worry about it. Mind you if we wanted a free agent ourselves that would change the equation dramatically.

I hope he stays though.

If we are down the bottom of the ladder and could get like pick 1-5 it might not even be worth matching. Even if you got something like pick 10 and 12 it might be better to get the one elite pick and not have to worry about it. Mind you if we wanted a free agent ourselves that would change the equation dramatically.

I hope he stays though.
Okay, say Dunkley nominates us again. Would you prefer having pick 5 being part of a Dunkley trade or one of the two firsts we get going to the Dogs?

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
Well if we had pick 5 or higher then maybe they'd accept just the 1 first for Dunkley (plus say a 2nd rounder) instead of requiring 2 mid range firsts. The reality is if that situation occurred you'd talk to the Bulldogs and see what they preferred and take that into consideration. Anyway it would all depend on the situation and its not like we are locked in one way or another at this stage.

The other flip side is then we'd have 2 top 5 picks that we could use on midfielders in a strong midfield draft (apparently) and what we need more on our list is elite midfielders. We have plenty of decent midfielders - but not enough elite ones.

I hope he stays though.
It depends on what the first round looks like imo. If we think there’s enough good talent late in the round then I have no issues with us matching and asking for a couple of picks in the 10-15 range. You’d get a couple of really good flankers in that range most years. If there’s some potentially generational talent in the top 5 then we should let him go and bank the higher pick though.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Collingwood offered their future first as part of a three-way deal for Treloar that would give you guys enough points to match a JUH bid. You'd have a live pick this year in a strong draft so I doubt it was about JUH. They got caught in the optics without thinking about what it means for their list.

Thing is, we've gone for the rebuild path.

If things go the way I think they will for Dunkley, he won't be worth a good first. There's no way Essendon will give a good first (which is likely a top 5 pick) for a player that is barely best 22.

With Zach Merrett likely leaving, we'll take what is likely to be two top 5 picks to the draft. A lot of talented big bodied inside mids available. 2022 first round though is something we'd happily part with considering the Davey twins come.

Or you split one of those top 5 picks to get two firsts and use one of those on Dunkley.

You wont get him for just a 2nd round pick.

You wont get him for just a 2nd round pick.
Let's see what kind of a year he has before we start talking absolutes. According to his coach he is struggling a bit..

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Whats he actually worth? Hasn't shown much yet and Crows just spent pick 6 on him. Not athletically gifted either. You'd have to wonder if he'll just be another added to the long list of highly rated failed talls.
With where the crows are at and the losses that list is seeing i'd be hunting SA players that want to come home.
Otherwise they're gonna keep drafting and losing players.

Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
With where the crows are at and the losses that list is seeing i'd be hunting SA players that want to come home.
Otherwise they're gonna keep drafting and losing players.
Might be a good strategy. Are there many SA kids in VIC wanting to go home though? Crows only just spent pick 6 on McAsey looking for a 10 year key position player. They'd want a decent return on that if they are gonna lose him.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Might be a good strategy. Are there many SA kids in VIC wanting to go home though? Crows only just spent pick 6 on McAsey looking for a 10 year key position player. They'd want a decent return on that if they are gonna lose him.
Yeah, but also run a risk he just walks (a la Hately to them last year)
The PSD needs to be removed for these sort of situations. i.e. you can only enter PSD with consent of a club you were contracted to that year.

The PSD needs to be removed for these sort of situations. i.e. you can only enter PSD with consent of a club you were contracted to that year.
I'm pretty sure that's illegal

Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
I dont think they'll do a GWS and let him walk for nothing. There'd be a few VIC clubs interested so should be able to find a late 1st/early 2nd somewhere.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I'm pretty sure that's illegal
AFL can restrict eligibility for the PSD.
My thinking is it should only be for players who a) weren't on an AFL list that year and b) don't have a contract offer to be on an AFL list (i.e. current club)

Point is to encourage clubs to get a trade done.
The Martin/Hately outcomes were ridiculous

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I dont think they'll do a GWS and let him walk for nothing. There'd be a few VIC clubs interested so should be able to find a late 1st/early 2nd somewhere.
Yeah.
Pies, Dogs, Blues, Cats, Hawks, possibly Saints.
Dees possibly
We're probably the club most stacked in marking tall defenders, and even then ours are young and we don't have depth (see Rd1 selection conundrum)

Price would be the issue for us.

Oct 22, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Essendon
AFL can restrict eligibility for the PSD.
My thinking is it should only be for players who a) weren't on an AFL list that year and b) don't have a contract offer to be on an AFL list (i.e. current club)

Point is to encourage clubs to get a trade done.
The Martin/Hately outcomes were ridiculous
Why? It's good to see bottom clubs gaining talent that is ready to go for the next season. Makes the competition far more interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back