Saturday September 25

Draft Combine – Vic Country
Friday October 1

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday October 3 - Monday October 15

Trade Period (picks and players)
Monday October 4 (9am) – Wednesday October 13 (7.30pm)

Draft Combines (States and Regions)
VM: Saturday October 9 (tbc)
Qld: Sunday October 10

Tas: Monday October 11
SA: Saturday October 16

WA: Sunday October 17
NSW&ACT: tbc
NT: will join SA or Qld

Trade Period (picks only)
Monday October 18 – Monday November 15

List Lodgement 1
Friday October 29

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday November 3 (9am) – Tuesday November 9 (5pm)

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Wednesday November 10 (2pm)

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Thursday November 11 (9am) – Monday November 15 (5pm)

Draft Nominations Due
Wednesday November 17 (3pm)

Pre-Season Commences (First to fourth year players)
Monday November 22

National Draft
Round 1: Wednesday November 24 (7pm)
Round 2–end: Thursday November 25 (7pm)

Rookie Upgrade Period
Thursday November 25 (10pm) - Thursday November 25 (11pm)

Delisted Free Agency Window 3
Thursday November 25 (10pm) - Thursday November 25 (11pm)

Pre-Selected Rookie Nominations Due (Includes Academy, Father/Son)
Friday November 26 (12pm) - Friday November 26 (12.30pm)

Preseason Draft
Friday November 26 (3pm)

Pre-Selected Rookie Notification
Friday November 26 (3.15pm)

Rookie Draft
Friday November 26 (3.20pm)

Final List Lodgement
Monday November 29 (4pm)

Pre-Season Commences (All other players)
Monday December 6

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
December - March (tbc)
Current Contract Status
2021 Draft Watch
Father/Son and NGA
Adrian Dodoro

Last edited:
Some chatter about us being into Tom Green. Don’t give it much credence but he would be a great fit. If we finish bottom we could leverage the psd, force a trade for a future first which we potentially won’t need if Alwyn Davey jnr continues to improve.
The cost would be astronomical. They were peeved enough as got was when we got Caldwell for the price we got him for. I could only imagine the amount of whinging and underhanded comments McCartney would make if we were to lure him.

They would want two firsts as a start, and we are not in a stage of our rebuild to be forking out that kind of capital for one player, as good as he may be ultimately.

Matthew Johnson looks to be a very similar type of player and a top 10 chance at this point in the draft this year. He would cost us 1 pick to take him, Green would cost us 2+ and a big contract.

Some chatter about us being into Tom Green. Don’t give it much credence but he would be a great fit. If we finish bottom we could leverage the psd, force a trade for a future first which we potentially won’t need if Alwyn Davey jnr continues to improve.

He's the perfect example of the type of player we should be dangling our 2022 first rounder for (should the Davey twins continue to develop this year).

He's the perfect example of the type of player we should be dangling our 2022 first rounder for (should the Davey twins continue to develop this year).
How much can you see us improving next year with Green in the team because it wouldn’t recommend trading out a potential top 4 pick that would come before a Davey bid anyway. He is a good prospect but I can’t imagine we would need to bid on him if we end up with a pick in the top 5 of that year.

The cost would be astronomical. They were peeved enough as got was when we got Caldwell for the price we got him for. I could only imagine the amount of whinging and underhanded comments McCartney would make if we were to lure him.

They would want two firsts as a start, and we are not in a stage of our rebuild to be forking out that kind of capital for one player, as good as he may be ultimately.

Matthew Johnson looks to be a very similar type of player and a top 10 chance at this point in the draft this year. He would cost us 1 pick to take him, Green would cost us 2+ and a big contract.

He could also cost us the Hately price tag, should we finish bottom. *disregard contracted until 2022*

We also will have enough cap space to lure a few. Should Merrett leave I imagine we’ll have more cap space than anyone has ever had. So if need be we good offer him a godfather deal.

Last edited:
GWS just lost Caldwell and Hately from their midfield stocks. De Boer and Ward are in the twilight. Although, they have dropped Green and they'd still have Hopper, Taranto, Coniglio and Kelly, and a young Bruhn and Connor Stone i suppose. This Green proposition should be ridiculous but its actually not. They draft too many mids and it leaves them with excess young guns not getting a game and looking for a new home.

I can’t believe they aren’t playing him. His ceiling is massive. Problem for them is he and Hopper are practically identical and how many trucks can you play in one midfield.

How much can you see us improving next year with Green in the team because it wouldn’t recommend trading out a potential top 4 pick that would come before a Davey bid anyway. He is a good prospect but I can’t imagine we would need to bid on him if we end up with a pick in the top 5 of that year.
Id happily trade a future 1st (2022) for Tom Green or Josh Dunkley.

Id happily trade a future 1st (2022) for Tom Green or Josh Dunkley.
I’m not a huge advocate for trading away future firsts for anyone. There is a player looking at the top end for next year that reminds me of Chris Judd. It’s early but I’m more excited for that player than I am for Jason Horne and Horne is a gun.

Or we could get green and Josh Kelly. One in psd and one with picks. Just don't show any interest in the 2nd until first one signed with picks then walk the other to PSD. As both seem gettable. Although would mean a long term deal for Kelly most likely according to the Age

He could also cost us the Hately price tag, should we finish bottom.

We also will have enough cap space to lure a few. Should Merrett leave I imagine we’ll have more cap space than anyone has ever had. So if need be we good offer him a godfather deal.
But there is also this and while its never nice to see a player leave a club for nothing, GWS couldn't be too unreasonable in this instance (PSD option). It was dumb to let Hately walk for nothing. But is Green actually out of Contract this year?

But there is also this and while its never nice to see a player leave a club for nothing, GWS couldn't be too unreasonable in this instance (PSD option). It was dumb to let Hately walk for nothing. But is Green actually out of Contract this year?

I thought he was per the rumours. But looks like it’s next year. Would be humorous if Dodoro tried the same Dunkley trick after it failed so miserably and would certainly be in his tool kit to retry a failed strategy.

I’m not a huge advocate for trading away future firsts for anyone. There is a player looking at the top end for next year that reminds me of Chris Judd. It’s early but I’m more excited for that player than I am for Jason Horne and Horne is a gun.
Id lean towards using our picks but i think there is that right balance of using most of your picks and trading some away for known quantities during a rebuild. I think Caldwell was a smart buy. You never want to miss out on the next Judd or Dusty but you also dont want to miss out on a Dunkley/Green to draft a Paddy Dow.

He could also cost us the Hately price tag, should we finish bottom.

I assume you've forgotten about North (easy to do).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Horne, Sinn and Tom Green, imagine that.

Say we finish bottom 2, or even bottom 4 this year... Why would we dangle our 2022 first round pick for anyone?
Neither of the Davey twins will go top 3, which is the only case this might make sense.
We'd trade a future 2nd from our future draft hand at most, if anything, for anyone.

Its not even round 3 and we are already have given up and are concocting trade ideas for Hopper AND Tom Green.....

Its gonna be a long year

Its not even round 3 and we are already have given up and are concocting trade ideas for Hopper AND Tom Green.....

Its gonna be a long year
... Maybe Angus Brayshaw too

Or we could get green and Josh Kelly. One in psd and one with picks. Just don't show any interest in the 2nd until first one signed with picks then walk the other to PSD. As both seem gettable. Although would mean a long term deal for Kelly most likely according to the Age

Kelly is not the right fit for us IMO. Great player, allergic to contact exact problem our midfield has now.

every year is a long year
these threads provide shelter from watching us play.
I think it's because the earth is slowly drifting away from the sun's gravitational pull, that could be making years longer. I'm not sure if we will fall out of orbit or if the sun will engulf us in its red giant phase. Also a possibility that the earth loses its orbital energy and spirals into the sun. Any of these scenarios playing out would be catastrophic for the club, and we're yet to see if Rutten has a plan B.

I think it's because the earth is slowly drifting away from the sun's gravitational pull, that could be making years longer. I'm not sure if we will fall out of orbit or if the sun will engulf us in its red giant phase. Also a possibility that the earth loses its orbital energy and spirals into the sun. Any of these scenarios playing out would be catastrophic for the club, and we're yet to see if Rutten has a plan B.
You mean there is a plan A?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back