Saturday September 25

Draft Combine – Vic Country
Friday October 1

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday October 3 - Monday October 15

Trade Period (picks and players)
Monday October 4 (9am) – Wednesday October 13 (7.30pm)

Draft Combines (States and Regions)
VM: Saturday October 9 (tbc)
Qld: Sunday October 10

Tas: Monday October 11
SA: Saturday October 16

WA: Sunday October 17
NSW&ACT: tbc
NT: will join SA or Qld

Trade Period (picks only)
Monday October 18 – Monday November 15

List Lodgement 1
Friday October 29

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday November 3 (9am) – Tuesday November 9 (5pm)

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Wednesday November 10 (2pm)

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Thursday November 11 (9am) – Monday November 15 (5pm)

Draft Nominations Due
Wednesday November 17 (3pm)

Pre-Season Commences (First to fourth year players)
Monday November 22

National Draft
Round 1: Wednesday November 24 (7pm)
Round 2–end: Thursday November 25 (7pm)

Rookie Upgrade Period
Thursday November 25 (10pm) - Thursday November 25 (11pm)

Delisted Free Agency Window 3
Thursday November 25 (10pm) - Thursday November 25 (11pm)

Pre-Selected Rookie Nominations Due (Includes Academy, Father/Son)
Friday November 26 (12pm) - Friday November 26 (12.30pm)

Preseason Draft
Friday November 26 (3pm)

Pre-Selected Rookie Notification
Friday November 26 (3.15pm)

Rookie Draft
Friday November 26 (3.20pm)

Final List Lodgement
Monday November 29 (4pm)

Pre-Season Commences (All other players)
Monday December 6

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
December - March (tbc)
Current Contract Status
2021 Draft Watch
Father/Son and NGA
Adrian Dodoro

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Brayshaw, Caldwell, McGrath, Shiel, Parish, Langford, Perkins, Sinn, Johnson some handy depth in that scenario.
Cox too
Ham is looking pretty good. May not have size, but his ball use is good.

Hewett is a FA and i'm a fan. good size body, can do run with jobs but also run the other way.

nonamehack

Team Captain
May 9, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Essendon
Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Hewett is perfect for our midfield.

If Merrett leaves, won't it impact our compo pick though?
yep.
We avoid FA if Merrett leaves and we opt for the compo.
Best case: Merrett stays. Keep our pick. Hewett on FA & Brayshaw via a trade (F1 for Brayshaw + Lions 2nd perhaps)

Draper Hewett Brayshaw
Merrett McGrath Cox
Caldwell, Parish, Shiel
support from Perkins & Langford (who can play forward too)
Roberts/Johnson/Sonsie via draft

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
Melbourne arent trading Brayshaw. Petracca is playing the 'striker' role pioneered by Dusty which is opeming up more on ball minutes.

Brayshaw/Viney/Oliver is their starting midfield at the moment and it is crushing opposition midfields with Petracca, Jones and Melksham running through for ridiculous depth.

The midfield battle between Melbourne and Richmond will be fascinating.

Well he hasn’t done his knee yet. prismall was a gun before he got struck down. Everyone will be targeting the doggies depth midfielders, too many good young players who can’t get a game. West is one is another one I’d hope we target along with Richards.
Gun is a bit of a stretch IMO but he was good before he got injured.

He had a really good season 2008 and looked ready to explode, then did his knee in the 1st final, was never the same player after returning from rehab.
Agree but Gun ? . Martin is a Gun.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
If we get a top pick for Merrett is it worth swapping for two first rounders ?

Richmond currently have 11 and 14 and Brisbane have 9 and 17. Just say we end up with Pick 4/5 would it be worth trading down?

Example- 9 and 17 for 4 and 42
11 and 14 for 5 and a Future Third

Gives us- 9, 11, 14 and 17

Draft 4 of any of these players
John Sinn Utility
Braden Andrews Midfielder
Matthew Johnson Midfielder
Matthew Roberts Midfielder
Jacob Van Rooyen Key Forward
Samuel Banks Midfielder
Ned Long Midfielder
Lachlan Rankin Defender/Midfielder
Alex Lukic Key Forward
Charlie Molan Utility
Joshua Browne Defender/Midfielder

100%.

That's 4 more pieces of the puzzle.

The only reason I wouldn't do a deal like this is if there are gun key forwards available (and we need the high pick).

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
If we get a top pick for Merrett is it worth swapping for two first rounders ?

Richmond currently have 11 and 14 and Brisbane have 9 and 17. Just say we end up with Pick 4/5 would it be worth trading down?

Example- 9 and 17 for 4 and 42
11 and 14 for 5 and a Future Third

Gives us- 9, 11, 14 and 17

Draft 4 of any of these players
John Sinn Utility
Braden Andrews Midfielder
Matthew Johnson Midfielder
Matthew Roberts Midfielder
Jacob Van Rooyen Key Forward
Samuel Banks Midfielder
Ned Long Midfielder
Lachlan Rankin Defender/Midfielder
Alex Lukic Key Forward
Charlie Molan Utility
Joshua Browne Defender/Midfielder
Depends on two things

1. Where our picks fall: if we finish 17th (pick 2) and get pick 3, then you keep both, or maybe downgrade the latter but stay within the top 10. If its 4 andn5, you look at it, but 2 top 3 picks are gold.

2. The particular draft: if its a draft like 2018, and you get a shot at 2 prospects at a Lukosius/Rankine/Rozee/King x2/Smith type level then you dont trade the picks for anything. But if its an even draft after the top 3, and you have picks 4/5, then maybe you look at it.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
100%.

That's 4 more pieces of the puzzle.

The only reason I wouldn't do a deal like this is if there are gun key forwards available (and we need the high pick).
There’s no top tier big full forwards like last year, Van rooyen is probably first off the board but he’s a class below the others from last year. No need to take him with Jones, Eyre and Baldwin.

half time raffle

Team Captain
Jul 26, 2006
Albury
AFL Club
Essendon
I'd be trading 2022 first for a 2021 first. 5 first round picks over two years turbo-charges the rebuild. Our salary cap situation will be very good leading into the 2022 free agency period, add one or two players that take us into contention. By 2024 we should be a consistent finals team.

On CPH2065 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mikevk123

Premiership Player
Jun 25, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
I'd be trading 2022 first for a 2021 first. 5 first round picks over two years turbo-charges the rebuild. Our salary cap situation will be very good leading into the 2022 free agency period, add one or two players that take us into contention. By 2024 we should be a consistent finals team.

On CPH2065 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I wouldn’t be jumping the gun imo. But it’s a reasonable idea

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I wouldn’t be jumping the gun imo. But it’s a reasonable idea
Couple of sides have done this to great effect. Dees i think are one and with Mahoney at the helm, i can see more pragmatic approaches to getting what we need without trying to eat our cake and have it too.

If we lose Merrett and wind up with 2x top 10 picks in a row, i'd shop the '22 pick around and try for a third.
2021 MSD is a unique chance for a 2020 kid that didn't have the exposed form...or 2 of them.

That's Jones, Cox, Perkins, Reid, Baldwin, Eyre, Brand + 6-7 other kids

Hak94

All Australian
Apr 27, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
Not sure if it's been spoken about but realistically, do we even need to go after a FA midfielder? Especially with Parish coming on + Caldwell being recruited/coming back and with the idea that Perkins will in time play midfield, you throw in that Merrett (if he stays), McGrath, Shiel (to come back from injury), Parish + Stringer and Langford as pinch-hit options that we now have 6-7 options in there now. Could see adding maybe one more but even than, I don't know why we wouldn't just go to the draft for that. Obviously it's an area we haven't had quality in for years and it's always handy to have depth but I personally don't think it's an area that's as big of a need as say a KPF or KPD. Options like Brayshaw or Lipinski are good and sure, Dunkley I'm sure would bring a lot but if players like Caldwell & Perkins can come on like we hope then I think our midfield brigade will be pretty solid without the need to add a big name FA in there from the '21 trade period. Just my two cents.

staaation

All Australian
Apr 26, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Not sure if it's been spoken about but realistically, do we even need to go after a FA midfielder? Especially with Parish coming on + Caldwell being recruited/coming back and with the idea that Perkins will in time play midfield, you throw in that Merrett (if he stays), McGrath, Shiel (to come back from injury), Parish + Stringer and Langford as pinch-hit options that we now have 6-7 options in there now. Could see adding maybe one more but even than, I don't know why we wouldn't just go to the draft for that. Obviously it's an area we haven't had quality in for years and it's always handy to have depth but I personally don't think it's an area that's as big of a need as say a KPF or KPD. Options like Brayshaw or Lipinski are good and sure, Dunkley I'm sure would bring a lot but if players like Caldwell & Perkins can come on like we hope then I think our midfield brigade will be pretty solid without the need to add a big name FA in there from the '21 trade period. Just my two cents.
we don't necessarily need to grab a big name (though Dunkley would still be perfect) as much as we really need a big body in the middle.
since most draftees don't come in as huge units with afl midfield tanks, you look at trading and FA if you want one quickly, which we do.
it's for sure worth sniffing around and seeing who's on the outer at their current club, if we can grab a b-grader on the cheap who can stand up in a tackle to dish the ball out of a contest and block for the smaller faster guys then we should absolutely take them.

Hak94

All Australian
Apr 27, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
we don't necessarily need to grab a big name (though Dunkley would still be perfect) as much as we really need a big body in the middle.
since most draftees don't come in as huge units with afl midfield tanks, you look at trading and FA if you want one quickly, which we do.
it's for sure worth sniffing around and seeing who's on the outer at their current club, if we can grab a b-grader on the cheap who can stand up in a tackle to dish the ball out of a contest and block for the smaller faster guys then we should absolutely take them.
Agree that Dunkley would be perfect, but he's going to cost too much in comparison to actually using those resources elsewhere. It'd be a different story if the likes of Parish weren't coming along + Caldwell, even in his couple of games looks to be something really exciting. I don't know if we need something "quickly", but I know exactly what you mean when you say "quickly" because there is clear evidence that we get bullied in that area with certain teams. I just think we need to be smart about our approach with it and it may not be an area we need to overcompensate in anymore. Hence, going to the draft, really knuckling down and finding someone really special. Sure, it may take a little while for them to grow but we're in that rebuild phase again and it may not hurt to go down that route for an option.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Yep
Hewett is one i'd look at. Not a gun, but a good player.
Good size, does the run with role as well as linking up nicely.
Would plug the gap that we've failed to fill with Kav, Clarke, Hibberd, etc.

I think we still need a midfielder . As you mention we have a good mix but we still need a strong body to go along with Stringer and play that style of role. Parish and Shiel are great clearance players. Just need a nice size Jack Graham type who can do some blocking for the main men and also be effective in is own right. Would be handy if Clarke could kick as he could fill the role but he will not be around I suspect. Good news is this type of player could be found with a mid range pick. Another Heath Hocking via the rookie draft would work.:cool:

We're not gonna get any of the people y'all keep throwing up. They're gonna stay at their clubs and fight for their spots.

The draft is our best bet. Accept and embrace it.

On Pixel 3 using BigFooty.com mobile app

There's going to be an angry mob of trade hypothetical posting nuffies waving pitchforks and torches outside the Hanger if we keep our picks and just hit up the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back