Saturday September 25

Draft Combine – Vic Country
Friday October 1

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday October 3 - Monday October 15

Trade Period (picks and players)
Monday October 4 (9am) – Wednesday October 13 (7.30pm)

Draft Combines (States and Regions)
VM: Saturday October 9 (tbc)
Qld: Sunday October 10

Tas: Monday October 11
SA: Saturday October 16

WA: Sunday October 17
NSW&ACT: tbc
NT: will join SA or Qld

Trade Period (picks only)
Monday October 18 – Monday November 15

List Lodgement 1
Friday October 29

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday November 3 (9am) – Tuesday November 9 (5pm)

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Wednesday November 10 (2pm)

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Thursday November 11 (9am) – Monday November 15 (5pm)

Draft Nominations Due
Wednesday November 17 (3pm)

Pre-Season Commences (First to fourth year players)
Monday November 22

National Draft
Round 1: Wednesday November 24 (7pm)
Round 2–end: Thursday November 25 (7pm)

Rookie Upgrade Period
Thursday November 25 (10pm) - Thursday November 25 (11pm)

Delisted Free Agency Window 3
Thursday November 25 (10pm) - Thursday November 25 (11pm)

Pre-Selected Rookie Nominations Due (Includes Academy, Father/Son)
Friday November 26 (12pm) - Friday November 26 (12.30pm)

Preseason Draft
Friday November 26 (3pm)

Pre-Selected Rookie Notification
Friday November 26 (3.15pm)

Rookie Draft
Friday November 26 (3.20pm)

Final List Lodgement
Monday November 29 (4pm)

Pre-Season Commences (All other players)
Monday December 6

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
December - March (tbc)
Current Contract Status
2021 Draft Watch
Father/Son and NGA
Adrian Dodoro

Last edited:
We're not gonna get any of the people y'all keep throwing up. They're gonna stay at their clubs and fight for their spots.

The draft is our best bet. Accept and embrace it.

On Pixel 3 using BigFooty.com mobile app

They’re infinitely gettable, generally they’re jus. Whether that means offering them a longer term deal with more job security, more money or giving up more at the trade table.

A good example is Ellis-Yolmen from a couple of years back, Brisbane had to give him a 4 year contract to get him over the line but he’s now a third of the way through it and he’s played 9 games for them.

Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
A hard running defensive minded mid that is interested in tackling and blocking for his teammates. Dunkley ticks so many boxes in that he's big, hard running, kicks goals and loves getting his hands dirty. He'll be in amongst the brownlow leaders up til his injury. Feels like that ship has sailed though as he looks happy and settled again. Think we need to find one at the draft and it might have to be a reach. They are out there, normally just not the popular pick. Jack Graham who would also be perfect wasnt taken until pick 50 odd from memory. So nearly every team would've had to overlook him at least once. Dunks was overlooked by nearly every team as well.

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
There's going to be an angry mob of trade hypothetical posting nuffies waving pitchforks and torches outside the Hanger if we keep our picks and just hit up the draft.
After picking the eyes out with Cox, Perkins and Reid last year, i would be disappointed if we didnt

Oct 6, 2020
Narre Warren South
AFL Club
Essendon
They’re infinitely gettable, generally they’re jus. Whether that means offering them a longer term deal with more job security, more money or giving up more at the trade table.

A good example is Ellis-Yolmen from a couple of years back, Brisbane had to give him a 4 year contract to get him over the line but he’s now a third of the way through it and he’s played 9 games for them.
There's a big difference between Brisbane getting guys like Yolmen/Adams/McCarthy (people who weren't getting games at their clubs 'cause they were almost always injured) and people in this thread wanting us to go after:
  • Patrick Lipinski
  • Oscar Allen
  • Angus Brayshaw
  • George Hewett
  • Ed Richards
  • *insert players I've missed here*
None of those people are gonna want to come to us. Lipinski and Richards are gonna stay and fight for their spots at the Dogs, especially Lipinski who's probably gonna play every game until Dunkley gets back. Allen's gonna inherit the West Coast forwardline once JJK and Darling wrap up. Brayshaw's best 22 at Melbourne and (unless it's a false dawn) they look like they're gonna be a genuine top four/premiership contender this year. Hewett only played six games last year (I'm assuming due to injury), but outside of that he's been best 22 at the Swans every year that he's played and they're about a year or two ahead of us in the rebuild process.

Sure we could lure them over by promising them massive contracts that they can't refuse. But then we're putting a lot of pressure on our young kids and effectively trying to rush the rebuild. And there's literally no reason for us to do that. If it takes four years to do the rebuild and become a legitimately good team, then it takes four years to do it. We have screwed ourselves over so hard in the past trying to shortcut this stuff and it's never worked. It's time to do it right for once, and that means holding onto our picks and going to the draft for at least the next two years. End of 2023 we can start shopping around for players but not before then.

Dunkley would be the only exception to this. But I legitimately do not think he will request a trade again due to him patching things up with the Doggies.

Schnitzengruben

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 4, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
None of those people are gonna want to come to us.
I don't agree with this logic and I think it is too negative, for a few reasons.

You're underestimating the lure of a big 4 Victorian club, opportunities to play in marquee games like ANZAC and Dreamtime, good money, LiFe AfTeR fOoTy etc. Plus I think other players would look at our youth and go "Wow, Nik Cox - I want to play with this dude". Same goes for Draper, Ridley, McGrath etc.

The most obvious example of this is Josh Dunkley. We couldn't have had a more disappointing 2020 season with performance, hub life, star players leaving etc yet Josh Dunkley was desperate to come to us. Yeah we offered him good money but no doubt other clubs would've done the same.

I think our performance has been generally pretty solid so if we keep that up I think we'll be in a really good spot to make some moves this trade period.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
There's a big difference between Brisbane getting guys like Yolmen/Adams/McCarthy (people who weren't getting games at their clubs 'cause they were almost always injured) and people in this thread wanting us to go after:
  • Patrick Lipinski
  • Oscar Allen
  • Angus Brayshaw
  • George Hewett
  • Ed Richards

Not that Oscar Allen would be a realistic chance but I'm far from convinced he's the calibre of player that would warrant getting into a s**t fight with West Coast over his value. A local and future captain who also shows the promise of being an elite key forward, what would that cost?

I just don't find him find compelling. It's not like third talls have not previously gotten off the chain in good forward lines, Mitch McGovern for example. It's not obvious Allen has the tools (i.e. the size and pace) to be dangerous when getting an opposition's best defenders.

I'm also wary of the media commentary surrounding Allen because it is the usual list-reading of things without any real thought. Yes he sometimes plays as a relief ruckman...where he also is routinely destroyed as a hugely undersized.

I think Allen is likely a good role player, a third tall of the calibre of Jack Gunston. Happy for West Coast, they can have him. We can develop that calibre of player (and in Harry Jones likely have him on the list already).

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Not that Oscar Allen would be a realistic chance but I'm far from convinced he's the calibre of player that would warrant getting into a sh*t fight with West Coast over his value. A local and future captain who also shows the promise of being an elite key forward, what would that cost?

More significantly, he's not the sort of player who, even if available for a reasonable price, I find compelling. It's not like third talls have not previously gotten off the chain in good forward lines, Mitch McGovern for example. It's not obvious Allen has the tools (i.e. the size and pace) to be dangerous when getting an opposition's best defenders.

I'm also wary of the media commentary surrounding Allen because it is the usual list-reading of things without any real thought. Yes he sometimes plays as a relief ruckman...where he also is routinely destroyed as a hugely undersized.

I think Allen is like a good role player, a third tall of the calibre of Jack Gunston. Happy for West Coast, they can have him. We can develop that calibre of player (and in Harry Jones likely have him on the list already).

Sometimes I feel dirty when I agree with you Bruno.

But I agree.

Hak94

All Australian
Apr 27, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
Thoughts on going after/looking at Sam Weideman? Can't seem to get into Melbs 22, also may be behind Brown now that they've brought him in as their number one big man. Jackson coming on has also pushed him down the order. Clearly Melb won't let him just walk + don't imagine he'd come cheap too. But, could be a handy option to pair with Jones & Wright up forward. Also, fits the age bracket we're looking at too.

I'd imagine Coll would be the most logical team in terms of teams looking hard at him giving the family link, but surely he's (Sam) is also looking at who he'd be playing with + wanting to go to a team on the rise. Don't think he suits being the number one big forward either, playing at Collingwood, he'd be that given they don't have a number one option up there. Thoughts on Ess going after him?

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Thoughts on going after/looking at Sam Weideman? Can't seem to get into Melbs 22, also may be behind Brown now that they've brought him in as their number one big man. Jackson coming on has also pushed him down the order. Clearly Melb won't let him just walk + don't imagine he'd come cheap too. But, could be a handy option to pair with Jones & Wright up forward. Also, fits the age bracket we're looking at too.

I'd imagine Coll would be the most logical team in terms of teams looking hard at him giving the family link, but surely he's (Sam) is also looking at who he'd be playing with + wanting to go to a team on the rise. Don't think he suits being the number one big forward either, playing at Collingwood, he'd be that given they don't have a number one option up there. Thoughts on Ess going after him?

I like Weidemann, but think Collingwood would be front runners if he was going to another Melbourne club. I'd imagine we'd be asking the question though, I think he's OOC this year?

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
I don't agree with this logic and I think it is too negative, for a few reasons.

You're underestimating the lure of a big 4 Victorian club, opportunities to play in marquee games like ANZAC and Dreamtime, good money, LiFe AfTeR fOoTy etc. Plus I think other players would look at our youth and go "Wow, Nik Cox - I want to play with this dude". Same goes for Draper, Ridley, McGrath etc.

The most obvious example of this is Josh Dunkley. We couldn't have had a more disappointing 2020 season with performance, hub life, star players leaving etc yet Josh Dunkley was desperate to come to us. Yeah we offered him good money but no doubt other clubs would've done the same.

I think our performance has been generally pretty solid so if we keep that up I think we'll be in a really good spot to make some moves this trade period.
Seems an odd take - that no one is going to want to come to us, yet Dunkley is the outside chance.
We have money, we have a group that is looking to be on a positive trajectory, and we have clear opportunities to secure your target spot in the side.
Add to that, we've never had problems attracting talent.

I'm not sold on Dunkley making his peace and staying at the Dogs. There was a reason he asked to move from a team pushing for top 4 to a team heading to the bottom 4.
Of course he's going back with smiles and hugs. Would be an awkward year if he came out and said "ill try again next year." See Daniher/Raz in 2020.

We were lower than 2020 in 2016. In 2017 we attracted Stringer, Saad & Smith, then Shiel the following year.

nonamehack

Team Captain
May 9, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Essendon
I like Weidemann, but think Collingwood would be front runners if he was going to another Melbourne club. I'd imagine we'd be asking the question though, I think he's OOC this year?
Wasn't he injured in preseason and that's the only/real reason he's not playing currently?

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Wasn't he injured in preseason and that's the only/real reason he's not playing currently?
yeah
Pretty sure he's firmly in their plans.
T-Mac was nearly pushed out for the Brown/Weid/Jackson line up.

If anything, he's the one i'd chase as a Hooker replacement whilst we develop Jones, Eyre, Baldwin and co.

Hak94

All Australian
Apr 27, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
Yeah, he was but now he's back and firing. Melb are scared to tweak their current 22 given they're firing and don't want to risk disrupting that. It'll be interesting to see if he can get in the 22 if Melb continues their run or they drop a few games and look at changing their structure. Brown coming in this week before him though is an obvious sign he's ahead in their plans.

But yeah, he's OOC this year. Coll obviously would be the front runner, but is it an attractive environment to be heading too given the last twelve months they've had and with everything currently going on? Our list is pretty exciting + pairing him with Jones would be pretty nice. Hopefully, he's got his body right though + can fix up his kicking, those would be my only concerns in taking a look at him.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Yeah, he was but now he's back and firing. Melb are scared to tweak their current 22 given they're firing and don't want to risk disrupting that. It'll be interesting to see if he can get in the 22 if Melb continues their run or they drop a few games and look at changing their structure. Brown coming in this week before him though is an obvious sign he's ahead in their plans.

But yeah, he's OOC this year. Coll obviously would be the front runner, but is it an attractive environment to be heading too given the last twelve months they've had and with everything currently going on? Our list is pretty exciting + pairing him with Jones would be pretty nice. Hopefully, he's got his body right though + can fix up his kicking, those would be my only concerns in taking a look at him.
Would be an investment in a similar type to what we have in Jones, Baldwin & Eyre.
If things pan out with Bryan, can see him ending up as more of a forward and 2nd ruck to Draper.

if i'm targeting a young, out of contract forward for us, it's Fogarty.

Sometimes I feel dirty when I agree with you Bruno.

But I agree.
Well if Bruno and I can agree with each other every now and then , well anything can happen.:cool:

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon

I like Weideman. Not sure he can play first tall though and he would be expensive. I think we need a key forward though.
Would be an investment in a similar type to what we have in Jones, Baldwin & Eyre.
If things pan out with Bryan, can see him ending up as more of a forward and 2nd ruck to Draper.

if i'm targeting a young, out of contract forward for us, it's Fogarty.
Is Fogarty any more likely to develop into a first tall than Weideman? And does he want to leave now Thilthorpe is there. That would be an exciting pairing to develop.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
Not so sure about Dunkley now.
Expensive and coming off a shoulder reco. I'd like to keep hitting the high end of the draft.

With Collingwood mired maybe Sier is gettable. Only 23 and development potential. I think he's OOC at year's end?

Hak94

All Australian
Apr 27, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
I like Weideman. Not sure he can play first tall though and he would be expensive. I think we need a key forward though.

Is Fogarty any more likely to develop into a first tall than Weideman? And does he want to leave now Thilthorpe is there. That would be an exciting pairing to develop.
Not sure we'd bring him to play the number one big man, but it'd take the pressure off the likes of Wright & Jones down there, if we played the three talls alongside our smalls.

Hak94

All Australian
Apr 27, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
Not so sure about Dunkley now.
Expensive and coming off a shoulder reco. I'd like to keep hitting the high end of the draft.

With Collingwood mired maybe Sier is gettable. Only 23 and development potential. I think he's OOC at year's end?
Don't think Sier is really up to it, he had a decent run & looked good a couple of years ago but given he isn't showing much when he does break into Collingwoods 22 I don't think he's a good option. Sure, Collingwood don't really seem to be showing him much consistency either but I think there are better options out there than him if we went down the route of recruiting a b-grade big-bodied mid.

I'm sure Ess have options on their board that they're looking at, will be interesting!

ILikeCheese

Senior List
Apr 24, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
How’s Brodie been going this year? I know there was a write up about him having a great pre season with a big improvement on his running, don’t watch a lot of Gold Coast has he been consistently in the team this year?

bennyg12

All Australian
Jul 19, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
  • Patrick Lipinski
  • Oscar Allen
  • Angus Brayshaw
  • George Hewett
  • Ed Richards
None of those people are gonna want to come to us. Lipinski and Richards are gonna stay and fight for their spots at the Dogs, especially Lipinski who's probably gonna play every game until Dunkley gets back. Allen's gonna inherit the West Coast forwardline once JJK and Darling wrap up. Brayshaw's best 22 at Melbourne and (unless it's a false dawn) they look like they're gonna be a genuine top four/premiership contender this year. Hewett only played six games last year (I'm assuming due to injury), but outside of that he's been best 22 at the Swans every year that he's played and they're about a year or two ahead of us in the rebuild process.

Sure we could lure them over by promising them massive contracts that they can't refuse. But then we're putting a lot of pressure on our young kids and effectively trying to rush the rebuild. And there's literally no reason for us to do that. If it takes four years to do the rebuild and become a legitimately good team, then it takes four years to do it. We have screwed ourselves over so hard in the past trying to shortcut this stuff and it's never worked. It's time to do it right for once, and that means holding onto our picks and going to the draft for at least the next two years. End of 2023 we can start shopping around for players but not before then.

Dunkley would be the only exception to this. But I legitimately do not think he will request a trade again due to him patching things up with the Doggies.
Sam Weideman

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
Don't think Sier is really up to it, he had a decent run & looked good a couple of years ago but given he isn't showing much when he does break into Collingwoods 22 I don't think he's a good option. Sure, Collingwood don't really seem to be showing him much consistency either but I think there are better options out there than him if we went down the route of recruiting a b-grade big-bodied mid.

I'm sure Ess have options on their board that they're looking at, will be interesting!
How’s Brodie been going this year? I know there was a write up about him having a great pre season with a big improvement on his running, don’t watch a lot of Gold Coast has he been consistently in the team this year?
Both Brodie and Sier are about 190cm. Sier really needs a consistent run at it so hopefully with Treloar gone that's what we'll see. StatsPro tells me Brodie wins more contested ball but is still only average, above average for centre clearances though.
Both look ordinary stats-wise but we would want that player to do a lot of work off the ball anyway, blocking, drawing players and making space.
Who are the other options?

Hak94

All Australian
Apr 27, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
Both Brodie and Sier are about 190cm. Sier really needs a consistent run at it so hopefully with Treloar gone that's what we'll see. StatsPro tells me Brodie wins more contested ball but is still only average, above average for centre clearances though.
Both look ordinary stats-wise but we would want that player to do a lot of work off the ball anyway, blocking, drawing players and making space.
Who are the other options?
I'd probably take Brodie over Sier, even though Sier looks a fraction more proven. Plus, Brodie would cost less than Sier even then not by a lot I don't think.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
I'd probably take Brodie over Sier, even though Sier looks a fraction more proven. Plus, Brodie would cost less than Sier even then not by a lot I don't think.
I'd also be keen make inquiries after Lipinski and Tom Green. Green would be brilliant but I think GWS would be hard to deal with McCartney seems like a toss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back