Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2009
The Void
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
TEAM 17 (Flags)
The answer to what?

I'm just saying let's all wait and see what happens rather than jump to conclusions on the back of a figure being thrown around in the media, which I'd say 99 times out of 100 is off the mark.

From memory, Betts left for money we didn't want to give him, not that we couldn't afford to. Think it was something like 50k p/a.

Tuohy left three years after Thomas came. We low-balled him in the hope he'd leave - we needed a first round pick to send to the Giants for Marchbank, and Zac was seen as someone we could part ways with. Reckon we could have paid him if we wanted to.
Yes. We low-balled them whilst Daisy was taking up a big chunk over 5 years and not getting on the park.

At the time of trade, it was 6 and 24, for 38. Like this year, those numbers changed with F/S, academy.

Still the trade when it was all completed in totality, valued Prestia at Pick 7 ;)

Yes. We low-balled them whilst Daisy was taking up a big chunk over 5 years and not getting on the park.

Low balled due to list build strategy. That does not necessarily equate to not being able to pay them because of Daisy's salary. They're two very different concepts.

bmaurizio

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Singapore
AFL Club
Carlton
"Following protracted negotiations between the two clubs, Prestia became a Tiger in exchange for pick six in this year’s national draft and a second-round selection in the 2017 draft. Richmond also received this year’s draft pick 24 as part of the trade deal."

Richmonds 2017 second rounder they gave up ended up being Pick 27

So the deal looked like this

Richmond Loses 2016 Pick 6, 2017 Pick 27, Gains Prestia + 2016 Pick 24
GWS Loses Pick 24, Prestia, Gains 2016 Pick 6, 2017 Pick 27.

If you do the math it equates to around Pick 7 the Tuggers got it done for ...

Hope this helps :)
Yup Prestia , Caddy and Nakervis was a great move it just clicked for the Tigers after that, sometimes it takes courage, one thing is ceratin without a brilliant midfield premerships can't be won.
Demons were devestating all year, especially so on Saturday.

BlueTongue

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2009
The Void
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
TEAM 17 (Flags)
Low balled due to list build strategy. That does not necessarily equate to not being able to pay them because of Daisy's salary. They're two very different concepts.
Eddie wanted and extra 50k. And the club refused. In the same year they recruited Daisy. Strategy? Tuohy went a couple of years later because the money he was offered was "Insulting". But it's strategy and and we needed that pick? Two of our best performing, consistent & loyal players. I would hazard another guess that the salary cap was teetering but I've no way to back this up so I'll let it go.
Give Cerra his $700k and see what happens with Walsh's upcoming contract, and Harry's in 2 years from now.

Eddie wanted and extra 50k. And the club refused. In the same year they recruited Daisy. Strategy? Tuohy went a couple of years later because the money he was offered was "Insulting". But it's strategy and and we needed that pick? Two of our best performing, consistent & loyal players. I would hazard another guess that the salary cap was teetering but I've no way to back this up so I'll let it go.
Give Cerra his $700k and see what happens with Walsh's upcoming contract, and Harry's in 2 years from now.

Yeah I'd suggest the Eddie situation was just a * up and not wanting to pay someone the extra he wanted to stay at the club. I don't believe 50k is necessarily a decision based on a tight cap - if we wanted to pay him we could have.

Re: Tuohy. We were hunting early picks at the very start of our aggressive rebuild. Rightly or wrongly Tuohy was seen as someone who we could afford to part with but who ultimately we'd be better off parting with to give us that extra pick. Very firmly believe parting ways with him was based on strategy rather than a bulging cap because we brought in someone three years prior.

Happy to revisit in two years. Or even sooner if we extend Walsh before then.

Yeah I'd suggest the Eddie situation was just a fu** up and not wanting to pay someone the extra he wanted to stay at the club. I don't believe 50k is necessarily a decision based on a tight cap - if we wanted to pay him we could have.

Re: Tuohy. We were hunting early picks at the very start of our aggressive rebuild. Rightly or wrongly Tuohy was seen as someone who we could afford to part with but who ultimately we'd be better off parting with to give us that extra pick. Very firmly believe parting ways with him was based on strategy rather than a bulging cap because we brought in someone three years prior.

At the time we had bugger all "trade" currency... the picks had to come from somewhere ... you bait out a 26-34 ish listed player and expect first round draft picks in return lol.

Yes, after all the bids, on F/S, academy

So, when we give up pick 6 and some, it will be around the same mark as Prestia 😉

No ... will be Pick 8 ish ... dont start me campaigner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Hypothetically speaking, if Gold Coast offered us pick 19 for LOB and the pick we are probably getting for SPS (either 29 or 35) would you do it ?

Just a Hypothetical question that is very unlikely to happen, but one I find intriguing.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Hypothetically speaking, if Gold Coast offered us pick 19 for LOB and the pick we are probably getting for SPS (either 29 or 35) would you do it ?

Just a Hypothetical question that is very unlikely to happen, but one I find intriguing.

GC won't offer 19 for LOB

Jimmyonesix

Premiership Player
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Yeah I'd suggest the Eddie situation was just a fu** up and not wanting to pay someone the extra he wanted to stay at the club. I don't believe 50k is necessarily a decision based on a tight cap - if we wanted to pay him we could have.

Cerra is the trade you make - it will be the long term Williams trade that will be the drag on our TPP -- we have paid for a gun mid poster boy and got a half back flanker -- with restrictions on rotations I can't see him ever lasting in the midfield

No, I would keep LOB ... IF HE LEARNS TO GO WHEN ITS HIS TURN. Has a lot of upside in the skills/fitness department.

Cerra is the trade you make - it will be the long term Williams trade that will be the drag on our TPP -- we have paid for a gun mid poster boy and got a half back flanker -- with restrictions on rotations I can't see him ever lasting in the midfield

Happy to trade for Cerra. Not sure I ever said otherwise. Would like to see the club hold firm on his value though rather than be dictated to by Fremantle on an out of contract player who wants out.

Re; Williams, firstly we didn't trade for him, second we paid for the player. Am confident he can have an impact in the middle as he has done previously. Didn't have a good year but he is better than that and has shown that previously.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Happy to trade for Cerra. Not sure I ever said otherwise. Would like to see the club hold firm on his value though rather than be dictated to by Fremantle on an out of contract player who wants out.

Re; Williams, firstly we didn't trade for him, second we paid for the player. Am confident he can have an impact in the middle as he has done previously. Didn't have a good year but he is better than that and has shown that previously.

What do you think Cerra is worth?

I agree on Williams, but needs to come back in good condition. Think he still plays up the ground

Jimmyonesix

Premiership Player
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton

I know we didn't trade for him he was a free agent -- sorry to upset you with that mis print -- the length of his contract is 6 years yes -- so 5 left -- how many years is cerra contract ? 4 ?

BringBackSimmo

(Previously BringBackSOS)
Jul 12, 2002
Sydney
AFL Club
Carlton
Is this just the Adam Cerra thread?

Jarrod Brander is being linked to the Blues? Why has he only played 22 games in 4 seasons?

WalshistheGOAT

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Is this just the Adam Cerra thread?

Jarrod Brander is being linked to the Blues? Why has he only played 22 games in 4 seasons?
1632738364721.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back