Hot Topic Trade/Free Agency Talk 2021 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

I know I shouldn't even bother giving it air time but Kane Cornes not being unable to understand why we are offering a "fringe player" in George Hewett a four-year-deal is a hilariously bad take.

Since when is Hewett a fringe player? FFS.

He isn’t that dumb, surely he’s aware, when youre in competition with up to 17 other clubs for the signature of players, you’re not attracting anyone, if you’re offering 1-2 years.

I know we didn't trade for him he was a free agent -- sorry to upset you with that mis print -- the length of his contract is 6 years yes -- so 5 left -- how many years is cerra contract ? 4 ?

Upset me?

Also not sure what your point is regarding the length of contract.

Total value for Prestia was pick 4, Cerra slightly younger and more versatile

….. don’t think so Prestia went for the equivalent of Pick 10, 6 and 36 and the Tigers got back 24

Normally people overrate our own, rather than having a balanced view

See above for Brander v SPS

6 alone for Cerra won't get it done, we will add some steak knives, I suspect other picks will be included that either side don't yet have

Keen to hear your thoughts on your last point, what do you think Fremantle would do, if we only offered pick 6? Do you think they would potentially miss out on pick 6 to prove a point?

In a transaction, where we are the only buyer, pick 6 is a good offer, I’m sure they will want more, but I see no way, they risk losing pick 6, to gain a pick swap in their favour, even in the even of another club coming in to the equation, I don’t see any of them offering more than pick 6.

I don’t see the point in Freo threatening to send Cerra to the draft, unlike the GC deal with Martin, where GC threatened to redraft Martin and Essendon the same with the Saad deal, Freo have no leverage, in both drafts, they pick after us.

Im assuming Port think on similar lines, maybe not better, but I think they think Hayes will be just as good a second ruck/forward as Ladhams, otherwise I don’t see them trading him.

Unless something has changed dramatically, Hayes has little natural aggression

Perhaps they will use Marshall more, especially with the rumours they are targeting OOC tall forwards

Agree to disagree.

I'm confident we will and comfortable with paying slightly more than 6 in the way I proposed. You're vastly underrating Cerra (and the 2017 draft) but that's just my opinion.

I think most aren’t underrating Cerra, they’re expressing the view, that we shouldn’t pay more than we have to, if as expected he nominates us, we are the only buyer, he’s out of contract and wants to return to Victoria.

Freo have very little to scare Cerra by threatening to send him to the PSD, the club with the first pick is Victorian, the second pick, Victorian again, they gain nothing buy sending him there.

The reason why I think pick 6 on its own will be enough is, Fremantle aren’t going to risk getting nothing, to make a point, he might be worth slightly more than pick 6, but it’s not enough to risk getting nothing over.

Keen to hear your thoughts on your last point, what do you think Fremantle would do, if we only offered pick 6? Do you think they would potentially miss out on pick 6 to prove a point?

In a transaction, where we are the only buyer, pick 6 is a good offer, I’m sure they will want more, but I see no way, they risk losing pick 6, to gain a pick swap in their favour, even in the even of another club coming in to the equation, I don’t see any of them offering more than pick 6.

I don’t see the point in Freo threatening to send Cerra to the draft, unlike the GC deal with Martin, where GC threatened to redraft Martin and Essendon the same with the Saad deal, Freo have no leverage, in both drafts, they pick after us.

Seen that comment a couple of times, that we are the only suitor. Other clubs will monitor the situation and if we are only offering pick 6, other clubs will start to chime in.

Cerra wants to come back to Victoria first and foremost, club choice is somewhat 2nd.

The way we are talking about Brander is like he is the next Bruce Doull or Peter Dean. The question that I want to ask is he any good?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seen that comment a couple of times, that we are the only suitor. Other clubs will monitor the situation and if we are only offering pick 6, other clubs will start to chime in.

Cerra wants to come back to Victoria first and foremost, club choice is somewhat 2nd.

This is possible, then it becomes, who out of any other suitor, is prepared to offer more than pick 6, not that it matters much, as Cerra would have to agree to change his club of choice, which I can’t recall happening, has it?

If I was Cerra and I was determined to see Freo fairly compensated, the club I’ve chosen has offered 6 and Freo aren’t happy, they come to me and say, the Hawks have offered us equivalent of pick 4 say, I’d be unimpressed, I’m. It changing my club of choice over two spots in the draft order.

I can only think of two compatible trades in Prestia and Treloar, Prestia being traded for equivalent of 8-9 and Treloar was traded for quite a bit, both Prestia and Treloar had a lot more runs on the board Though.

I would be dirty on the club for years, if we got nothing for a kid who wanted out, purely because we tried to play hardball over a favourable pick upgrade.

I still can’t believe GC chose zero over a pick in the 20s for Martin and GWS chose zero for Hately instead of a pick in the 40s, it makes no sense to me

I think most aren’t underrating Cerra, they’re expressing the view, that we shouldn’t pay more than we have to, if as expected he nominates us, we are the only buyer, he’s out of contract and wants to return to Victoria.

Freo have very little to scare Cerra by threatening to send him to the PSD, the club with the first pick is Victorian, the second pick, Victorian again, they gain nothing buy sending him there.

The reason why I think pick 6 on its own will be enough is, Fremantle aren’t going to risk getting nothing, to make a point, he might be worth slightly more than pick 6, but it’s not enough to risk getting nothing over.

I'm not trying to be flippant, but it generally doesn't work that way. Other clubs will certainly be taking an interest in the situation from afar and Fremantle will knock back 6 on it's own straight away. If we/they drag it out, who knows what can change over the trade period.

I ask you, why did we pay so much for Saad? It was an unprecedented price to pay for a player of his position and age, that has never been an All Australian or a Best and Fairest winner. I'm not saying we are bound to keep overpaying just because we made a blue, but why did we pay it?

"Following protracted negotiations between the two clubs, Prestia became a Tiger in exchange for pick six in this year’s national draft and a second-round selection in the 2017 draft. Richmond also received this year’s draft pick 24 as part of the trade deal."

Richmonds 2017 second rounder they gave up ended up being Pick 27

So the deal looked like this

Richmond Loses 2016 Pick 6, 2017 Pick 27, Gains Prestia + 2016 Pick 24
GWS Loses Pick 24, Prestia, Gains 2016 Pick 6, 2017 Pick 27.

If you do the math it equates to around Pick 7 the Tuggers got it done for ...

Hope this helps :)

Sorry for picking, GC ended up with 38, Tigs won the flag, their second ended up being 38, makes Prestia worth around pick 10

Upset me?

Also not sure what your point is regarding the length of contract.
You said it could hinder extending the contract of Walsh and Mackay - his contract length will be no longer than Williams and cheaper and is an actual midfielder -- all I was trying to say was payments like Williams is what will hurt the most - as you buy him for position he can't fill ..

This is possible, then it becomes, who out of any other suitor, is prepared to offer more than pick 6, not that it matters much, as Cerra would have to agree to change his club of choice, which I can’t recall happening, has it?

If I was Cerra and I was determined to see Freo fairly compensated, the club I’ve chosen has offered 6 and Freo aren’t happy, they come to me and say, the Hawks have offered us equivalent of pick 4 say, I’d be unimpressed, I’m. It changing my club of choice over two spots in the draft order.

I can only think of two compatible trades in Prestia and Treloar, Prestia being traded for equivalent of 8-9 and Treloar was traded for quite a bit, both Prestia and Treloar had a lot more runs on the board Though.

I would be dirty on the club for years, if we got nothing for a kid who wanted out, purely because we tried to play hardball over a favourable pick upgrade.

I still can’t believe GC chose zero over a pick in the 20s for Martin and GWS chose zero for Hately instead of a pick in the 40s, it makes no sense to me

Dockers might be satisfied with pick 7 and and 26 from the Tigers, Hawks pick 5

Things change, like Shiel taking less $, Martin coming to us rather than *

Until he nominates

You said it could hinder extending the contract of Walsh and Mackay - his contract length will be no longer than Williams and cheaper and is an actual midfielder -- all I was trying to say was payments like Williams is what will hurt the most - as you buy him for position he can't fill ..

I said nothing of the sort. I've been arguing that it won't have any impact on that.

I'm not trying to be flippant, but it generally doesn't work that way. Other clubs will certainly be taking an interest in the situation from afar and Fremantle will knock back 6 on it's own straight away. If we/they drag it out, who knows what can change over the trade period.

I ask you, why did we pay so much for Saad? It was an unprecedented price to pay for a player of his position and age, that has never been an All Australian or a Best and Fairest winner. I'm not saying we are bound to keep overpaying just because we made a blue, but why did we pay it?

I agree Freo will knock it back, but they won’t send him to the draft and get nothing, they have too much to lose. In regards to Saad, it’s slightly different, Essendon had a pick before us in both drafts, they threatened to redraft Saad if he went to the draft and I guess there was enough doubt there on our behalf, I also think we overpaid there, but not as much as others, in that situation, Essendon could also take a harder line, as they just been gifted a top pick for JD.

I wonder if Austin in his first trade period got schooled a little, hopefully he is better for it.

Im not going to cry if we sweeten the deal on Cerra, but it shouldn’t be anymore than a token upgrade, like we swap second rounders. I see this trade being similar to the Prestia deal, which worked out to be about pick 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Back