Hot Topic Trade/Free Agency Talk 2021 edition

Dec 8, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
So they can be drafted in ND but not DFA?
Ok, will try and work through this...

Right now, we have 39 contracted players for 2022 on the Senior List (33) and Rookie List (6). We also have Owies on the Cat-B Rookie List contracted.

This list of 39 does not include LOB or Cotts. But we have committed to picking both of these players up at the Rookie Draft. This would take us to a total of 41 players, maximum is 42. We'll very likely use pick #25 at the National Draft to bring that total up to the maximum.

So, what is the status now of LOB & Cotts? Both show up on the AFL site as "Delisted". Others here have confirmed that is their status. I haven't seen anything official from Carlton on that, but have no reason to disbelieve it. I'm just not sure why.

Perhaps there is a rule that says we must have 3 spare slots across both the Primary and Rookie lists prior to the National Draft. As the maximum places for these lists combined is 42, that would mean we'd be limited at 39, hence why we'd have to Delist LOB & Cotts. So that would make sense. However, I can't find any such rule. The only rule I've seen is that for list lodgment on 31-Oct, the PRIMARY list must have 3 places available. As we've only got 33 on the Primary List at the moment (and max. is 38), I don't see why we couldn't keep LOB there till after the ND. But I guess there must be a reason, and it's likely to do with the combined list size.

So, assuming they are indeed delisted, what next?
1. DFA's can be picked up by other clubs during a Free Agency period. There are three of these, the first is from Nov 3 to Nov 9. So another club could pick up either player during that period.
2. National Draft. To be eligible for the ND, a player must not be bound to a club. As they're delisted, they could nominate for the draft and be picked up there. Doubt this will happen, given they have a commitment from Carlton.
3. Pre-Season Draft. Again, could nominate for the PSD, which occurs just prior to the Rookie Draft. Again unlikely this will happen.
4. Rookie Draft. Both will nominate for the Rookie Draft, and could be picked up by any club, however, most likely will end up back at Carlton.
5. If for some reason they are not picked up at the RD, could later be picked up via the Supplementary Selection Period (by March), or later in the Mid-Season draft. But this won't happen, Carlton won't reneg on their commitment.

So, most likely, both will end up back at Carlton for 2022. However, it's possible another club might pick them up during the Free Agency periods, or with an earlier Rookie pick. In this case, it would open up an extra slot (or two) on Carlton's list. I just don't think that will happen.

Happy to be corrected on any of this, just my reading of the AFL Rules. There is also a really useful thread on this topic here.

Dec 8, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Ok, will try and work through this...

Right now, we have 39 contracted players for 2022 on the Senior List (33) and Rookie List (6). We also have Owies on the Cat-B Rookie List contracted.

This list of 39 does not include LOB or Cotts. But we have committed to picking both of these players up at the Rookie Draft. This would take us to a total of 41 players, maximum is 42. We'll very likely use pick #25 at the National Draft to bring that total up to the maximum.

So, what is the status now of LOB & Cotts? Both show up on the AFL site as "Delisted". Others here have confirmed that is their status. I haven't seen anything official from Carlton on that, but have no reason to disbelieve it. I'm just not sure why.

Perhaps there is a rule that says we must have 3 spare slots across both the Primary and Rookie lists prior to the National Draft. As the maximum places for these lists combined is 42, that would mean we'd be limited at 39, hence why we'd have to Delist LOB & Cotts. So that would make sense. However, I can't find any such rule. The only rule I've seen is that for list lodgment on 31-Oct, the PRIMARY list must have 3 places available. As we've only got 33 on the Primary List at the moment (and max. is 38), I don't see why we couldn't keep LOB there till after the ND. But I guess there must be a reason, and it's likely to do with the combined list size.

So, assuming they are indeed delisted, what next?
1. DFA's can be picked up by other clubs during a Free Agency period. There are three of these, the first is from Nov 3 to Nov 9. So another club could pick up either player during that period.
2. National Draft. To be eligible for the ND, a player must not be bound to a club. As they're delisted, they could nominate for the draft and be picked up there. Doubt this will happen, given they have a commitment from Carlton.
3. Pre-Season Draft. Again, could nominate for the PSD, which occurs just prior to the Rookie Draft. Again unlikely this will happen.
4. Rookie Draft. Both will nominate for the Rookie Draft, and could be picked up by any club, however, most likely will end up back at Carlton.
5. If for some reason they are not picked up at the RD, could later be picked up via the Supplementary Selection Period (by March), or later in the Mid-Season draft. But this won't happen, Carlton won't reneg on their commitment.

So, most likely, both will end up back at Carlton for 2022. However, it's possible another club might pick them up during the Free Agency periods, or with an earlier Rookie pick. In this case, it would open up an extra slot (or two) on Carlton's list. I just don't think that will happen.

Happy to be corrected on any of this, just my reading of the AFL Rules. There is also a really useful thread on this topic here.
Expected timeline of events from here:
Now:
Primary List (contracted) - 33 players
Cat-A Rookie List (contracted) - 6 players
Cat-B Rookie List (contracted) - 1 (Owies)

Free Agency Period 1 (3-9 Nov): No action.
Free Agency Period 2 (11-15 Nov): No action.

AFL National Draft (24-25 Nov):
Pick #25 - add 1 player
Pick #64 - upgrade Matt Kennedy to Primary List
Pick #82 - upgrade Josh Honey to Primary List

Primary List (contracted) - 36 players
Cat-A Rookie List (contracted) - 4 players
Cat-B Rookie List (contracted) - 1 (Owies)

Pre-Season Draft (26-Nov): No action.

Rookie Draft (26-Nov):
Pick#6 - Lochie O'Brien
Pick #25 - Matt Cottrell
Option - second Cat-B Rookie (e.g. Dom Akeui)

Primary List (contracted) - 36 players
Cat-A Rookie List (contracted) - 6 players
Cat-B Rookie List (contracted) - 1 or 2 (Owies + ?)

Supplementary Selection Period (closes mid-Mar):
If any player added to LTI, may replace with an SSP Rookie.

Mid-Season Draft (June/July):
If any player added to LTI, may replace with a MSD Rookie.

Same disclaimer as previous post:

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
The only rule I've seen is that for list lodgment on 31-Oct, the PRIMARY list must have 3 places available. As we've only got 33 on the Primary List at the moment (and max. is 38), I don't see why we couldn't keep LOB there till after the ND. But I guess there must be a reason, and it's likely to do with the combined list size.

Without looking it up, there's no way they would make a rule enforcing 3 primary list vacancies, but allow more than the maximum rookie list spots so that there's less than 3 total vacancies.

I'm no IT expert, but it looks like he tried to paste in a link to a Bleacher Report video?

Went to Bleacher Report to try and work out which video he was trying to grab. Not sure how Aaron Rogers' family fued is related to Carlton's 2021 trading.... :p

AlecDuncan

I'm no IT expert, but it looks like he tried to paste in a link to a Bleacher Report video?

Went to Bleacher Report to try and work out which video he was trying to grab. Not sure how Aaron Rogers' family fued is related to Carlton's 2021 trading.... :p

It seems the Bleacher Report post ist verboten. That or BF took the URL and mangled it.

Anyway, it was about weird trades, including a player traded so the team could get accomodation.

Back