List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
im sure its been mentioned just havent looked but imo Bachar and Dave Astbury have been great servants and u can go go 1 season too many in this game
we have talent to burn waiting in the wings and this is the right time to inject them into the 22 and move fwd with eyes firmly fixed on participating
in another september campaign,id keep Higgins hes young,promote Markov for one,he proved hes got what it takes and keep Broad whilst developing
another solid backman,maybe bring one in,we need stay fresh for 2021

one other point is if Astbury and Houli not retiring is forcing Broad to look elswhere on account of unavailable funds,seriously youd have to ask thos e 2 to retire for the sake of reataining Broad for the next 3 seasons,to me thats just common sense
Balta's success has changed the whole dynamic down back,things are not as they were as last April

The thing is Astbury can go into ruck and forward

its a business,every player is aware,he can stand by his contract n remain,it wont bother Richmond,hes a good player,but if hes tempted tiges cant except
anything higher than pick # 20 imo,hes a 22yr old first rounder with a very realistic 150 games to come

how has this approach helped essendon, carlton, and collingwood?

our approach has delivered three flags

their approach sees them over paying for players and still seeing an exodus each season

Should we consider trading 3 or 4 players to GWS for Tom Green? That way GWS get a real boost, the players are together, prospects enhanced for the players as well as game time and we get some value back we can use
Name the 3 or 4 players you are happy to lose in 1 hit with at least 1 being best 22 and bare in mind gws will want guys in the 23 - 28 age bracket

Would love Tom but now isn’t the time for that kind of move

It's a pity about Higgins, his best is very good and probably not far off best 22. Would have had him in ahead of Aarts to be honest. He is crafty, probably a touch quicker than Aarts, can play midfield whilst Aarts cannot, and noticed he was starting to get really good at pushing off bigger players to take a chest mark.

He did indeed look like a long-term Lambert replacement at the least, but Lambo will be around for a while yet so how does Higgins get a gig in the team in the near future? Not even sure who he pushes out at St. Kilda to be honest. People will say Lonie but Gresham takes that spot once he's back. Maybe Sinclair? Anyway, a shame but it's probably best for Higgo.

- Tiger71 any news coming through on who we might be looking at?

- If a chunk of his salary is paid by Pies, would people like to see Treloar? Would look good for us.

- Tom Green from GWS a chance?

- Can't see anyone else we can realistically get now, given Hogan is supposedly off to GWS?

- If only one of Broad or Markov stays, I hope we keep Broad. People wanted Markov delisted and now upset he is possibly leaving, based on a couple of decent games. Broad is a solid defender, a 3x Premiership player. Definitely a must keep, not as expendable as people think. Markov, reckon he would be exposed defensively in a big final, at least Broad is much-proven.

- Anything/anyone else?

EDIT: Sneaky chance that Rance comes back?

Last edited:
I think there is a misunderstanding of a big fish mid. Who do you have in mind??
I don’t have anyone in mind this year
All the ones available would be sideways moves of guys already in our best 22 that they would force out

This year we clear the depth and invest in best picks we can for this year and next years draft

Balta, Bolton, Baker, Vlossy, Prestia Kmac and Grimes all out of contract next year with a few free agenents

Clubs are going to come hard at the core of our next wave so we gonna need all the cash we can get

Where do you keep getting the idea that RCD is a back in the mould of Grimes, hes not. The club see him as a big bodied mid, they have trained him in that position and played him there. He's a great clearance player who struggles getting it on the outside, that doesn't work as someone working off the backline.

As for Higgins I really don't get the arguments going on here about him. Yes he has been a pretty handy player and we all know about the head injury but while he started this year alright he faded again when the other boys worked into the season. Yes it would be a shame to see him go as he MIGHT become something. People talk about him being similar to Zorko, Zorko is good but not great, never really worried about him when coming up against Brisbane. We have players that have the potential to go past that level. Plus you can't keep everyone it's not possible. He was a Saints supporter growing up and it looks like he wants to head there for more opportunity. While we should try and get a good offer for him as many of you mentioned, I doubt the club will go to hard because culture triumphs all, surely after the last 4 years you can all see that. And after what the club has done in the last 4 years I think they have earned our trust and we should all just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Who said RCD is in the mould of Grimes??? RCD to me is in the mould of Rodney Eade. He struggles to get it on the outside because he is not an outside mid. He is a backman who should be able to defend as a backman that should be able to get the ball as part of a system as well as win clearances win in the middle.

One would play him at half back or a back centre.

One of the reasons we are losing players is they are not playing in the seconds either probably!!!

Should we consider trading 3 or 4 players to GWS for Tom Green? That way GWS get a real boost, the players are together, prospects enhanced for the players as well as game time and we get some value back we can use
We are not getting Tom Green FFS!!!! Not yet anyway

Name the 3 or 4 players you are happy to lose in 1 hit with at least 1 being best 22 and bare in mind gws will want guys in the 23 - 28 age bracket

Would love Tom but now isn’t the time for that kind of move

Easy, this will not happen but in terms of value, Cotch is too old, Houli too old, even Dusty too old(don't worry would not trade him) etcc...

Using my own SWAT analysis of the situation, Castagna, Caddy, Lambert, Markov, Broad and I will throw in CCJ to even though younger because CCJ is more surplus given our list make up. Probably inclined to keep Broad and then Castagna as value plays

Short would be too important in terms of weaponry, Vlastuin too important to structure, McIntosh to important because we are so deficient in wingers, Prestia too important in terms of the fabric. I am keeping Rioli at 23 because apart from 23 he is part of the indigenuous contingent and important to the fabric with young Maurice supposedly coming in to. Then keep Castagna and Lambert for moneyball reasons and Markov as more value and younger at 24. Pickett is a bit of an anomoly since he is late mature age and I do not know what he would be on so I will leave him out of possible exits

Just to give some perspective on my outlook, I would trade Castagna, Caddy, Lambert, Markov, Broad and CCJ all together for Gold Coast Sun's Rowell. Thats five/six players for one player. Then with the list we already have plus Rowell, NBA style reconstruct the list from there.

For the purposes of this discussion Nank was forgotten about because he is too important to the ruck/structures and fabric for us, and Soldo is injured so could not be considered

Last edited:
Looking at our list I see most of our top-end players are 30 or near that even Dusty is 29. All this family thing well it's good and all but unless we want to end up like hawks and geelong we need to keep replenishing. We didn't get a chance with the young ones this season so most of them we don't know how they are traveling. I'm sure the club is working on something hence all the players out of contract after next year. If other clubs are delisting or not wanting players well it's for a reason so we should stay clear unless of course a Dunkley type of player is available and we want them.
Anyway, next season is the one I personally am dreading as I feel we will have a big list change with retirements so on.

We've got a few more years to challenge Melbourne's 50's/60's outfit. Go all out to win premierships when you're on top.

We have really good youth that will get games in 2021.

If we dip to just being top 8 and having a light rebuild then I'm happy with that already. If we win 1 more we're all time greats. 2 more and equal best of all time. 3 more and it is = to Melbourne if you include 1964.

Very rarely do a club get the chance at that level of success. Keep the window open whilst we can

The thing is Astbury can go into ruck and forward
i know Soldo wont be back next season,i thought maybe CCJ can get some games ?
Dave ruck ??? worked against Port,cant see it working ,longer qtrs.
give marbiol a crack at it
Give Dave & Bachar a testimonial and keep Broad & Oleg
if Higgo wants to go becos the offers TGTR get a suitable pick,if he stays he stays

Last edited:
Higgins is the next jack Steele and butler. Mark my words, bookmark this post.

We have decided to keep aarts (25)over Higgins (21), remember this. Absolute disgrace.

We seriously should be playing absolute hard ball with this trade.
Higgins is the one pushing this. We haven't chosen Aarts over Higgins.
Higgins deserves regular AFL level footy, he isn't getting that with us.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RCD to me is in the mould of Rodney Eade.

3e76838a7f582dedb747559e296a3a28.jpg

Sent from my CPH1951 using Tapatalk

If there is a rumour around Rance coming back, great!

Whatever happens, with Leppitsch leaving we need to make sure one of the backline, preferably one of the bigger boys like Rance, Grimes, or Astbury, sticks around as defensive coach.

We need to keep guys who know the system to make sure it continues on for as long as possible.

Similar to Maric - who I felt was our best ruck in my lifetime (don't count Ottens cause he left) - who transitioned to being ruck coach.

i know Soldo wont be back next season,i thought maybe CCJ can get some games ?
Dave ruck ??? worked against Port,cant see it working ,longer qtrs.
give marbiol a crack at it
Give Dave & Bachar a testimonial and keep Broad & Oleg
if Higgo wants to go becos the offers TGTR get a suitable pick,if he stays he stays

the world has moved on from testamonials.

Players get plenty of money and a lot of our players are life members due to premierships. They will be connected for life

They are talking 18 minute quarters next year so still not previous length

Last edited:
Higgins is the next jack Steele and butler. Mark my words, bookmark this post.

We have decided to keep aarts (25)over Higgins (21), remember this. Absolute disgrace.

We seriously should be playing absolute hard ball with this trade.

We can't keep everyone and if he wants to go and spread his wings elsewhere, let him. We'll get a pick or something in return that may return more value. As it is, he's not playing seniors so why keep him?

All the best to him, I think he's a legend and deserves a crack, it's a shame it's won't be with us.

Yes probably, we got ripped off in the Butler trade and I can see the same thing happening here.
We got ripped off in hindsight. At the time I think most of us were thinking fair enough, we've seen Butler's best and he likely isn't cracking the best 22 again.

He still wouldn't be cracking the side, either.

People malign Rioli but he is important to us, running up and down the field. Butler, for me, is still too much of a straight-line player. He did very little against us in the Semi-Final.

And Castagna is ahead of both, he may do spud-like things at times but is easily the quickest off the mark and can take a grab too.

I'm fine with how it turned out, but yeah for pure value we got ripped off in hindsight, he would be worth a late first/early second based on season 2020.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back