Richmond
Other Teams
Heat

TigerTime88

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 8, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Need another mid or two. Our midfield is ageing and injury prone and struggles to get the job done in-season.

I'd look at Green, Hopper or Cerra as trade targets or someone like Matt Crouch as a free agent if we want to hold onto our picks.

Agree.
It’s whether we try to make those moves and snag another flag potentially or start a rebuild. I’d prefer to load up and have a crack while a decent core is there.

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Need another mid or two. Our midfield is ageing and injury prone and struggles to get the job done in-season.

I'd look at Green, Hopper or Cerra as trade targets or someone like Matt Crouch as a free agent if we want to hold onto our picks.
I’d use our highest pick for a kpp , like Ess got with Cox . With Balta one end and an emerging tall you got foundations for the next wave , Bolton , baker , we need to add young class to that. Hopefully at least a couple from what we already got come through ,it should happen going on recent history

Last edited:

Charlie Pannam

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Like the idea of adding another mature mid because Cotch and Prestia while still A graders are probably only good for 60% of the year.
But wouldn’t be offloading any first or early second round picks.
Or chase Cripps, Kelly etc that’ll cost you north of 800k

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Like the idea of adding another mature mid because Cotch and Prestia while still A graders are probably only good for 60% of the year.
If we think we can milk one more flag from this group then this off season is the year to trade off some draft assets to bring in an A grade talent and maybe a FA or RFA to have another go. Keeping draft picks won't improve us next year, if we do that we are looking to the future. We can't stand still again and expect to contend. We either go hard again in 2022 or we look to build for the next run.

Daka

Premium Platinum
Nov 28, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania Devils
Not against us going for Josh Kelly.

Obviously not for 1 million a year, I view him as a 650k -700k type player

We could arrange an agreement with the Giants they pay a some salary

We give them a first round draft pick & CCJ.

Apr 12, 2015
Nathalia Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Leeds United
There are surely quality unhappy players around 400 500 k which would complement our side why go for one expensive merchandise when you can have 2?
With a few players on the verge of retiring and having watched our VFL team this season, I feel we may have to bring in some quality in if we want to continue at the top.

Charlie Pannam

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
If we think we can milk one more flag from this group then this off season is the year to trade off some draft assets to bring in an A grade talent and maybe a FA or RFA to have another go. Keeping draft picks won't improve us next year, if we do that we are looking to the future. We can't stand still again and expect to contend. We either go hard again in 2022 or we look to build for the next run.
I like the idea of continuing to add talent via the draft let’s not end up in the terrible mess that Hawthorn are in. They were s club that got success on the back of one very strong draft but have ignored it in recent times.
Other thing is our cap is tight we have no big names pulling the pin next year- Cotch is contracted til 22, JR indicated he will go on, Bachar will retire but he’s not on big money. Shai to get a pay rise as has Balta this year.
We will probably look at another A grader when Cotch and JR retire.

TigerTime88

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 8, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond

That wouldn’t get near Kelly! A first rounder and CCJ but they pay some salary. Would need so much more than that. We can’t afford a Kelly unless it was heavily back ended. Also might be harder to attract guys if we look to be sliding.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets

Um, is this a piss take?

Don’t think Kelly is the type we need tbh
He’s a jet but plays his best footy on the outside
Our biggest issue atm is we need guys who can win the footy at the coal face and get it into the hands of those guys on the outside

Hopper, Green, Cerra types

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Our biggest issue atm is we need guys who can win the footy at the coal face and get it into the hands of those guys on the outside

Green will cost us CJ + Pick
Cerra will cost us Bolton.

Green will cost us CJ + Pick
Cerra will cost us Bolton.
I’m not even sure if Green wants to leave GWS he extended his contract last year

And no doubt Cerra will cost a mint if he wants to leave with a number of clubs all reported to be interested

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I’m not even sure if Green wants to leave GWS he extended his contract last year

And no doubt Cerra will cost a mint if he wants to leave with a number of clubs all reported to be interested
If Green wants to leave i think it'll be only to us.
Should re phrase if Freo want Bolton it'll cost them Cerra & a 2nd rnd.Cerra is good but Bolton is better.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
If Green wants to leave i think it'll be only to us.
Should re phrase if Freo want Bolton it'll cost them Cerra & a 2nd rnd.Cerra is good but Bolton is better.

The espn draft guy has bolton as the 2nd best young player. If he leaves I doubt tigers get fair value for him. Certainly hope we are well compensated.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
The espn draft guy has bolton as the 2nd best young player. If he leaves I doubt tigers get fair value for him. Certainly hope we are well compensated.
17 other clubs would be into him which is always a bonus.

We don’t need a bunch of mids we just need the ones we have to stay healthy and fit. We also need our young barely played mids to start to show more and get some continuity (which they’ll get with 2 of our starting mids out).

While I agree that an extra mid would be useful I just don’t think we can afford a decent (ie starting/best 22) mid. Any money we do have will go towards re-signing the players coming out of contract at the end of season, which includes quite a big pay jump for Bolton if he stays (I think he does).

Unless there’s a gun mid willing to take a probably massive pay cut for a chance at a flag I just don’t see us bringing anyone of any note in unless we pay dump players like Caddy or our other players take cuts (which they already did to bring in Lynch).

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
We don’t need a bunch of mids we just need the ones we have to stay healthy and fit. We also need our young barely played mids to start to show more and get some continuity (which they’ll get with 2 of our starting mids out).

While I agree that an extra mid would be useful I just don’t think we can afford a decent (ie starting/best 22) mid. Any money we do have will go towards re-signing the players coming out of contract at the end of season, which includes quite a big pay jump for Bolton if he stays (I think he does).

Unless there’s a gun mid willing to take a probably massive pay cut for a chance at a flag I just don’t see us bringing anyone of any note in unless we pay dump players like Caddy or our other players take cuts (which they already did to bring in Lynch).

If it is true the tigers were looking at players like crouch and Hogan. I wonder if that means they feel there is money to play with.

Even Treloar rumors.

Regardless of the salary cap there should be a big list shake up after a quiet trade/draft period last time

Feb 14, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond

Kelly's best footy is behind him. He has looked lame since that injury in 17 or 18

Oct 8, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania
If we could somehow bring in Green and/or Cerra on $500k each, we'd revitalize our midfield for the next gen. Bolton, Cerra, Green, Graham, RCD, Stack and Dow would be a pretty good group.

We'll still get a few more years out of the likes of Dusty, Prestia, Edwards and Lambert too.

I think the key with bringing young mids in is to sell them on the idea that they take less now to be able play alongside the guys listed above, and then get rewarded with higher salaries once they retire.

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Is Matt crouch worth considering on a low ball offer to play in a decent side

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back