Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Don’t reckon anyone would pay billing’s 700, 500+ about right . It’s a good comparison. Blues would have been better throwing money at him than ZW
The thing is St Kilda wouldn't let him go for a Band 3 pick but let him walk for Band 1
We would be looking at similar type of $$$ for Cerra with freo offering 750k a year

Coach_Required

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 19, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool & Boston Celtics
I’ve been getting shot down for this, but it makes zero sense.

We’re going to lose two first rounders for the sake of a very like for like player who is only four years older.

We aren't giving up 2 first rounders for Cerra, who ever came up with that is pulling your leg.

Sep 4, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Why not Markov or Butler ? They were trades that we clearly could have squeezed more from specially the Higgins trade after we gifted Butler they should have been made to pay up a 1st rounder pick #17 and 3 years development and we give him away for a 2nd rounder that could have been pick #30-#33 had St Kilda had year like last year.

Pick #6 for Prestia at the time was also paying top dollar and the only thing that made it reasonable was the 2nd round swap where GC also crumbled the following year.

Cerra will be 22 and in the system 4 years , I think we have a good idea of the type of player he becomes
25/26 possessions a game doing the simple things right but nothing explosive or Wow.
I dont see explosive pace
I dont see gut crunching tackles
I dont see freakish ability
I dont see goal kicking
I dont see great marking
I dont see extreme pressure or urgency

Just a very nice player that does what required
Prestia at the same age was a much better player

He is #15 value thats it

I think you have to look at the whole picture. 3 flags in four years makes everything the Club have done worth it.

Tetley Tiger

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Why not Markov or Butler ? They were trades that we clearly could have squeezed more from specially the Higgins trade after we gifted Butler they should have been made to pay up a 1st rounder pick #17 and 3 years development and we give him away for a 2nd rounder that could have been pick #30-#33 had St Kilda had year like last year.

Pick #6 for Prestia at the time was also paying top dollar and the only thing that made it reasonable was the 2nd round swap where GC also crumbled the following year.

Cerra will be 22 and in the system 4 years , I think we have a good idea of the type of player he becomes
25/26 possessions a game doing the simple things right but nothing explosive or Wow.
I dont see goal kicking
I dont see great marking

He is #15 value thats it
As it stands what we got for Butler mirrors his career with us One good year.Saints knew it and even now they only extended his contract by one year.
Higgins whats not to like about the trade.Trading out of last year's draft says it all.
As for the rest of your post.
Where after cerra not Gary Ablett SNR. Lol

RJK Tiger

Premiership Player
Oct 29, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
[/QUOTE]
they want ccj

How would it work? CCJ and a second? Straight swap?

I really like what i have seen so far of CCJ, but there is a small percentage of me that thinks he might be fools gold long term. It could be a total fleecing if we manage to get Cerra with CCJ being the main asset lost

Aug 30, 2011
kensington
AFL Club
Richmond

I dont see goal kicking
I dont see great marking

He is #15 value thats it

You do understand contract value plays a part in a negotiation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
You do understand contract value plays a part in a negotiation?

Jack Higgins was on his 2nd contract after having a very good first 2 years , He would have been on atleast $300k a year at Richmond being a 1st rounder that played 23 games in his first 2 years. He would have gotten a very nice increase at St Kilda to nominate them and the were in his ear. so lets just call it $500k for 3 year contract for a 21 year old we got a 2nd rounder that 'Could have ended up being #30-#35 after the season stkilda had in 2020

Sorry but thats a 1st rounder

Aug 30, 2011
kensington
AFL Club
Richmond
Jack Higgins was on his 2nd contract after having a very good first 2 years , He would have been on atleast $300k a year at Richmond being a 1st rounder that played 23 games in his first 2 years. He would have gotten a very nice increase at St Kilda to nominate them and the were in his ear. so lets just call it $500k for 3 year contract for a 21 year old we got a 2nd rounder that 'Could have ended up being #30-#35 after the season stkilda had in 2020

Sorry but thats a 1st rounder

Lol. If we won’t match $500k then we get less value. Fairly simple really, if you can’t match $ amount then he can walk out and take his chances. Saints would of been aware that there was no other interested parties at $500k.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Lol. If we won’t match $500k then we get less value. Fairly simple really, if you can’t match $ amount then he can walk out and take his chances. Saints would of been aware that there was no other interested parties at $500k.

Dude we didnt have to match anything as he was already under contract , Higgins was a contracted 1st round player that we traded away for a 2nd round pick

Your post makes no sense

Roksman

Premiership Player
Feb 12, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
The Jack Higgins trade looks to be good value for us - it was always a gamble but it looks good given Saints' form.

LOSE:
Jack Higgins
2020 Pick #26

GAIN:
2020 Pick #13-18 (Pending Geelong)
2020 Pick #23-27 (Pending Saints)

Also, you have to account for the extra value our picks are now worth when you have x2 first round picks etc due to the ability to bundle.

In hindsight, RFC played this beautifully.

YeOldTiger

67-69-73-74-80-17-19-20
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers, Glenelg Tigers
Dude we didnt have to match anything as he was already under contract , Higgins was a contracted 1st round player that we traded away for a 2nd round pick

Your post makes no sense
Forgetting about numbers and picks and $$ just for a minute, Higgins went through hell and back, twice.

Pretty sure the club simply let him go with a pat on the back and well wishes. He seemed a pretty popular kid at the club. Sometimes it's about more than football, especially these days when there is far more consideration for life outside of football.

I'd go so far as to say this change in attitude has brought amazing buy-in from our players, harboured the most successful era in the club's modern history and turned us into a destination club.

And, if imitation is the greatest form of flattery, brought a bunch of other clubs kicking and screaming (hello Floggingwood) into a new reality. If you want success, treat your players with dignity and respect (or get smashed on social media and fall apart at the seams - hello Shitpies again) if you want wholesale success across the club and on the ladder.

We are proving you don't have to get bent over or bend someone over, you can side step adroitly and still come out a winner.

Just sayin.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Forgetting about numbers and picks and $$ just for a minute, Higgins went through hell and back, twice.

Pretty sure the club simply let him go with a pat on the back and well wishes. He seemed a pretty popular kid at the club. Sometimes it's about more than football, especially these days when there is far more consideration for life outside of football.

I'd go so far as to say this change in attitude has brought amazing buy-in from our players, harboured the most successful era in the club's modern history and turned us into a destination club.

And, if imitation is the greatest form of flattery, brought a bunch of other clubs kicking and screaming (hello Floggingwood) into a new reality. If you want success, treat your players with dignity and respect (or get smashed on social media and fall apart at the seams - hello Shitpies again) if you want wholesale success across the club and on the ladder.

We are proving you don't have to get bent over or bend someone over, you can side step adroitly and still come out a winner.

Just sayin.
Cool and agreed

But we did that with Butler also and the saints went as far as to say thank you to our list managment for how considerate we were with waiting until the last minute to do that trade and just take what ever they had left over - pick %8 or something

Then when they poach a contracted 21 year old 1st rounder which we invested a good pick and 3 years development who looks like becoming a very very good player . And we ask for a pick similar to what we paid we get offered their 2nd rounder which after 2020 performance could have been pick #35

Its nice to be nice but sometimes you have to just say NO and we want reasonable value
Now when we get to Cerra and cough up overs that will sting (which is what the original comments were about)

Higgins - 2nd rounder
Cerra - 2 x 1st rounder

this is my issue if we cave into their asking price

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Man, we're sitting on our best draft hand in a long time and all this talk of burning it on someone like Cerra. I'd rather take it to the draft and add more quality to our next emerging generation than spend anything more than a single first/early second on someone like Cerra. Not to mention the amount of cap space he'd take as well. I really hope there's a bidding war and another club offers more coin and a more ridiculous trade.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Man, we're sitting on our best draft hand in a long time and all this talk of burning it on someone like Cerra. I'd rather take it to the draft and add more quality to our next emerging generation than spend anything more than a single first/early second on someone like Cerra. Not to mention the amount of cap space he'd take as well. I really hope there's a bidding war and another club offers more coin and a more ridiculous trade.
Exactly !!

I honestly dont see that Richmond killer instinct in Cerra and would much rather 4 top 30 kids from the draft that will not consume cap space that we neen for players like Balta , Bolton , Baker , CJ etc

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Exactly !!

I honestly dont see that Richmond killer instinct in Cerra and would much rather 4 top 30 kids from the draft that will not consume cap space that we neen for players like Balta , Bolton , Baker , CJ etc

I admit I don't watch a lot of Freo. Pretty much only when we play them and then if they're playing the odd time I might want to watch a neutral game. So I'm probably not the best judge. I just remember him being talked up early and I just don't see it. I could live with trading a single first, preferably the later of the two, but anything else is just silly. Let the other clubs trade away their future if they want to pay more.

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
As it stands what we got for Butler mirrors his career with us One good year.Saints knew it and even now they only extended his contract by one year.
Higgins whats not to like about the trade.Trading out of last year's draft says it all.
As for the rest of your post.
Where after cerra not Gary Ablett SNR. Lol
Butler fist half season was good last year , been ordinary since

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Cool and agreed

But we did that with Butler also and the saints went as far as to say thank you to our list managment for how considerate we were with waiting until the last minute to do that trade and just take what ever they had left over - pick %8 or something

Then when they poach a contracted 21 year old 1st rounder which we invested a good pick and 3 years development who looks like becoming a very very good player . And we ask for a pick similar to what we paid we get offered their 2nd rounder which after 2020 performance could have been pick #35

Its nice to be nice but sometimes you have to just say NO and we want reasonable value
Now when we get to Cerra and cough up overs that will sting (which is what the original comments were about)

Higgins - 2nd rounder
Cerra - 2 x 1st rounder

Goal kicking aside, higgo is playing really good footy , I tipped this . I watched a bit of Freo yesterday and cerra did little to raise the eyebrow. While not the last bloke I’d trade , 2 xr1 is nowhere near right value

Oct 14, 2012
Goldfingers
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Anything involving CROATIA & M.City
Cool and agreed

Higgins - 2nd rounder
Cerra - 2 x 1st rounder

Maybe when we come knocking for King they will look kindly upon us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back