List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
To reiterate, I am not "running away", I'm just not going to partake in conversation here if thats the attitude. I thought i made it pretty clear it was not a comment made as "truth" - the only reason i made it at all was to try and make some sense to why Jack Higgins would choose to leave if the club was happy to keep him. I'm actually trying to defend him in a round about way. Jack had a serious brain condition last year and missed the entire season. Prior to that he was given every chance to in his debut year to perform and the club got around him in a way i cant really recall them doing before for a rookie, The club supported him pre and post his injury, second to none.

In his first season back, Dimma trusted him with 10 of a possible 14 games that he was fit for - a remarkable effort by Jack, but also a remarkably courageous move by Dimma, especially when considering the immense depth of our side. In those games Jack's form was Ok, without ever being great. His best games were in his first few back when the side was playing, quite honestly, sh*t. he played well against the Saints when we got pumped. He played reasonably well in the snorefest which was the Swans clash & he performed well against the 5th rate Roo's. Outside of that, his form was average and I couldn't give you a single game where he swung the result. He then got injured and the rest is history.

For him to get up and request either more game time in a preferred position and essentially think he deserves, or is even ready for a bigger role in our or any AFL side is a bit presumptuous. He is 21, played 43 games for the best of this decade. His form this year was just OK when removing his brain recovery from the equation. To put it into context, he got more games than Caddy. Meanwhile you have Markov who is 24 and played less than 25 games & Others like Riley, CCJ etc who have barely been given a sniff. I had the same disdain for Stack after he was also gifted 10 games and pee'd in the hand that fed him. When the coach and club trust you in such a way as a 21 year old kid - you must respect that as its not a common as you might think it is in this cut-throat league.

If we gave Markov 10 games this year, would he be leaving? If we knew Jack was going to leave, would we have perhaps given those games to RCD & Dow?

I really like the boy and only wish him good things - but on the back of the his personal situation & the amount of precious game time he was given this year ahead of others (which we may lose as a consequence) - I don't think its his finest moment. Who we give game time is essential to us keeping the young talent we have procured. If anything i linked the Rance story in hope that it might be true as it actually makes his defection seem a lot more understandable than the current reality. In hindsight i wish they gave the 10 games to Markov who has had to bide his time far longer and quite honestly, had much better form when given the chance.

It's not that ******* hard

Both want to be first 22 players, and they are not that at Richmond.

Nothing more, nothing less

Jesse Hogan would be a really nice get.

But I've read his salary is 650k. Fremantle offering to pay some of it.

Trade Higgins, get pick 30-40.

Give the pick to Fremantle for Hogan and make them pay 200k of his salary.

Thats the only way I would entertain the idea. He is more likely to go down the Chris Yarran path than anything else, but he's worth a risk if thr price is right. Our group would be good for him.

you realise you have not been vetted for a troll, imposter, journalist etc.. yet don't you?? Did you think this was some amateur board despite your reading?

Would it not make sense to give your newbie status a wide berth?

by the way, don't take this personally, its just timing, newbies appearing around draft/trade time are red flags in general.

You might be legit and are permitted to carry on naturally.

If you run and hide the perception will most likely you could be viewed closer to the fraud range of possibilities.

If you are legit, and I am not saying you aren't., instead of just reading it might have been wiser to produce post legwork/groundwork prior to trade/draft time instead of seemingly starting conveniently around now
Some people take this sh!£ way too serious!!

Please can we just STOP with the Chol in the ruck stuff. CHOL IS NOT A RUCK. REPEAT NOT A RUCK. JUST LIKE HARRIS ANDREWS WHO IS TALLER THAN CHOL IS NOT A RUCK.

Just because someone is tall, does not mean they can ruck. Ruckwork is a craft requiring certain skills, timing and a bit of mongrel.

We've just been through a finals series that proved Chol isn't a viable ruckman at this level. He's a tall forward who, at this stage of his career is a liability in the ruck.

The match committee gave him every chance and it's just not his go. Finally they accepted it and with him so out of form they brought Broad back in as cover allowing Astbury and Balta to provide the chop out.

There are reams of threads about this over the last month and dropping Chol Gabe is better balance and helped us win the flag.

That's nothing against him. He was just a square peg in a round hole. I was so pleased to see him jumping for joy after the finals matches because I suspect he knows he isn't ready for finals intensity. I was impressed he didn't drop his head.

Chol will spend the summer in the weights gym and boxing and working on his body work and positioning. His greatest attribute is his mobility and marking but physically he gives nothing, it's just not in his nature. He's a footballer in a basketballer's body. A classic looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane. That's ok. He has some time and great development coaching.

Having said all of that that I like him and he offers a lot as a third tall forward but not much else yet. He has at least one year to add some tricks to his bag.

But he is not a ruckman.

Dave will play full back and Balta will play a Ruck/utility role for the first half of the season if we keep CCJ. 25 years ago Balta would have been a killer ruck. He has all the attributes except about 5cm. Right now, he will do just fine swapping in a horses for courses set up with Astbury.

Huge opportunity for CCJ in the palm of his hand if he's good enough. However I suspect Balta will be so good in the role that CCJ will only come in when Nank needs a break.

It's possible that IF they decide we need ruck cover Stefan Martin might get the gig. He's like older Nank carbon copy and good for half a dozen - ten games a year for a year or two.
So, Nank goes down.....we try Chol in the ruck? Is that what you're saying?

I reckon Jesse Hogan is absolutely who we should be Targeting also. Riewoldt’s more committed to media than footy now and been, at times, a massive liability last 2 seasons. Not many Kpf’s last as long in the game as he has. Time to move forward, rarely does an opportunity arise to get such a talented kpf for such a bargain. He’d be able to play 2nd fiddle without the burden of taking the number 1 defender. I’d also beg rance to come back to enable balta to play more Up the ground and become our Kouta mkII. Cotchin should get in his mate Kreuzer’s ear and promise him a shot at a flag for minimum wage with expectations being we only need him to play 12- 15 games resting him against teams with crap ruck. We need to go all in for 1 last flag before our window closes shut.
Hogan has faults in his kicking action. His set up and routine for a set shot is disgraceful. If we did look at him, I think utility is the go, a lot across half back and some fwd, a swingman.

Rance isn't coming back.

Kreuzer is cooked ffs.
I actually think Chol is a good ruck, and he's clearly a great set shot. 2nd ruck/tall is exactly his role. Just not sure he has the heart/toughness to make it.
He's a s**t ruck. VFL player, back up at best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon Jesse Hogan is absolutely who we should be Targeting also. Riewoldt’s more committed to media than footy now and been, at times, a massive liability last 2 seasons. Not many Kpf’s last as long in the game as he has. Time to move forward, rarely does an opportunity arise to get such a talented kpf for such a bargain. He’d be able to play 2nd fiddle without the burden of taking the number 1 defender. I’d also beg rance to come back to enable balta to play more Up the ground and become our Kouta mkII. Cotchin should get in his mate Kreuzer’s ear and promise him a shot at a flag for minimum wage with expectations being we only need him to play 12- 15 games resting him against teams with crap ruck. We need to go all in for 1 last flag before our window closes shut.
You Gunna sack Riewoldt virtually for a guy with some serious issues? Relax brother, end of 2021 there'll be some other good KPF wanting to move clubs.
FWIW I reckon JRand Lynch have been working brilliant. I also sense that hub life may have had a slightly negative effect on JR. at the end of next year JRs wage will be available so we can spend that. I've got confidence in CJ as well to be second banana.

And Stack will fit nicely in his place. Way better footballer than Markov, who would be nice to keep as well.
disagree with what i saw,Stack looked all at sea when given the opportunity this year,had his chance and didnt grab it,Markov was hand in glove
Markov,whos purely a back got to the club as an 18yr old on the cusp of the greatest back 6 in the history of the RFC,Rance.Grimes,Valustin,Houli
just to name a few,tough timing,hes ideal and primed to takeover from Bachar

Good post & dont really disagree. But as good as Blair is, he is capable of making mistakes like anyone. After watching Dan Butler play for the Saints while Georgie, Stack, Rioli & Aarts struggled to get traction in the same, extremely important role, we should know that now. You can't take even a fringe, talented player for granted
I'd hardly call letting Butler go, a mistake. It's Moneyball. Ellis, Conca, Lloyd, Butler leave because we have cheaper options. Pickett, aarts. Especially while Dusty and Lynch get their million.
Lloyd, Conca, Strengle have played well at their new clubs. Butler won some meaningless AA award and Aarts was very good IMO.

He reminds me of Axel Foley.
Mind you, Axel would also have a hard time breaking into this team.
I think Higgins will be a solid player but, as some have said, he's got a high floor but a low ceiling.

He will never be quick enough to be a gamebreaker. He won't be better than Lambert is for us and has been for us, won't get quite near Prestia levels, but he will definitely be and remain a solid and crafty player.

I reckon I don't wanna lose him, but at the same time we don't need him now to be better, and we likely don't need him in the next couple of years to remain good, if that makes sense. So it's no loss to our prospects as a footy side if we have to give him up, in other words.

But either way... He is no Axel Foley. No way. Foley at his best was lightning quick, nigh uncatchable. Foley in our current Richmond side, perhaps replacing a Pickett type or (god forbid) Lambert, would be ridiculous. Imagine our surge forward gamestyle with how good our midfield is now, compared to what it was when Foley played? My god Foley would look like a superstar, and at his best he was probably not far off that status anyway.

Would love a fit 25 year old Foley right now :)

EDIT: Here's some of the best of the man, just imagine we had him in the team now :hearteyes:

Last edited:
I didnt watch much gold coast but i was wondering

how decent a ruck was peter wright

with soldo going down and ccj still having i believe a month suspension still

if hes allright then he would be a decent back up in case nank needs a rest/hurts himself in the first month and a back up incase lynch or JR8 go down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back