List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caddy was brought over as an inside mid, has never been played in that role. If the knock is his pace or endurance then how did he get a role on the wing???? When prestia or cotch are out, we should play caddy in the guts. We dont need to trade or FA to solve this problem when we have an option
He started 2017 in that role, but was no good so we moved him forward. Vlastuin started that year as a kid too before returning to the backline.

I never understood why we didn't have another crack at Trelour, would have got him for nothing and would have made a massive impact.
Sometimes pride can be the downfall, I think we should have had a crack considering how crap our midfield is.
Don't think we could afford him. Would've had to take a pay cut to come to us, and if was happy to take less he would've just stayed at Collingwood.

Don't think we could afford him. Would've had to take a pay cut to come to us, and if was happy to take less he would've just stayed at Collingwood.
Yup, Bulldogs are still paying Treloar around $600k a year, with Collingwood paying the rest.

Only way we can afford a player like Dunkley is if a well-paid player retires, can't fit too many $700k+ players into one team. Collingwood tried and look where it got them.

Yup, Bulldogs are still paying Treloar around $600k a year, with Collingwood paying the rest.

Only way we can afford a player like Dunkley is if a well-paid player retires, can't fit too many $700k+ players into one team. Collingwood tried and look where it got them.
Dunkley is a must, Houli retires after this year.

Based on tonights game we really dont want Houli to retire
This. Movement out of backline improved 10 fold this week. Let's just hope he's overcome the calf issue and it doesn't come back.

Players can’t take pay cuts mid contract even if they are traded
Once they have signed the contract amount it’s locked in
Only way to pay them less per year is to give them a contract extension and pay the same amount over a longer period of time

Players can’t take pay cuts mid contract even if they are traded
Once they have signed the contract amount it’s locked in
Only way to pay them less per year is to give them a contract extension and pay the same amount over a longer period of time

Unless you're Daniel Wells and Collingwood. 2 years into a 4 year deal he was allowed to alter his contract which netted Norf a 2nd round pick.

Unless you're Daniel Wells and Collingwood. 2 years into a 4 year deal he was allowed to alter his contract which netted Norf a 2nd round pick.

They made it a base plus match payments instead of just base so he would of been potentially able to earn the same amount as before if he had played every game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As it stands right now, I don't want us to go hitting the trade/free agency market. Instead I want us to hit the draft and refresh the list a little more to kickstart the next era with a good haul of talented kids. Adding another half a dozen kids to our current crop of players 23 or younger would hold us in good stead moving forward and when you look at the list in terms of a line up we could really set ourselves up for the future if we continue with our recent record of nailing the draft.

B: Nyoun Miller DES
HB: Baker Balta Stack
C: Naish Graham Ralphsmith
HF: Dow Garthwaite Ross
F: D.Rioli CCJ M.Rioli
R: Ryan RCD Bolton
INT: Martyn Cumberland Colina plus 6 draftees

As it stands right now, I don't want us to go hitting the trade/free agency market. Instead I want us to hit the draft and refresh the list a little more to kickstart the next era with a good haul of talented kids. Adding another half a dozen kids to our current crop of players 23 or younger would hold us in good stead moving forward and when you look at the list in terms of a line up we could really set ourselves up for the future if we continue with our recent record of nailing the draft.

B: Nyoun Miller DES
HB: Baker Balta Stack
C: Naish Graham Ralphsmith
HF: Dow Garthwaite Ross
F: D.Rioli CCJ M.Rioli
R: Ryan RCD Bolton
INT: Martyn Cumberland Colina plus 6 draftees
There’s a very good chance DES, Naish and Garthwaite are delisted and I fully expect RCD to request a trade, while it wouldn’t surprise me if Ross and CCJ did either. Then there’s Stack.

And while I think Bolton re-signs, he will be offered ridiculous money from clubs like North, Freo and Hawthorn.

There’s a very good chance DES, Naish and Garthwaite are delisted and I fully expect RCD to request a trade, while it wouldn’t surprise me if Ross and CCJ did either. Then there’s Stack.

And while I think Bolton re-signs, he will be offered ridiculous money from clubs like North, Freo and Hawthorn.
That might happen, which makes hitting the draft even more important as it restocks the cupboard and allows us to also open up the cap as we're not spending money on recruiting ready made types.

With the question marks over Ross and rcd I think we definitely need to add another A grade mid to cover for an injury prone prestia and ageing cotchin and edwards.

Cerra, Oliver, Green, Dunkley, Kelly etc.
There's been a gap there for years. Always struggle winning contested possession and clearances in season, but our boys manage to turn it on for finals so the club doesn't feel the need to address it.

With the question marks over Ross and rcd I think we definitely need to add another A grade mid to cover for an injury prone prestia and ageing cotchin and edwards.

I know I’ll cop it for this but I think Matt Crouch would be worthwhile in our team feeding it out. We need another ball winner and I’d rather get him as a free agent that wouldn’t cost too much and keep our picks (would probably take multiple picks) to get Green or Cerra.

How much would an A-grader cost in terms of trade capital and how did that work out for Hawthorn when they did the same with Wingard, Mitchell and O'Meara when they tried to extend their premiership window? The fact is that all they did was simply delay what they needed to do all along and replenish through the draft. Again there are always exceptions, like a very specific need and very specific player, like a young KPF like a Ben King for example. Then you might consider selling the farm. However, say offering two first rounders (at least) for any of those players simply to provide 'cover' would be pretty reckless.

Cover is another word for depth, and again unless you are selling the farm for a very very specific need, that's what the draft is for. With so many picks and with so many players with question marks - longevity or will they make it I hope we go for wholesale renewal via the draft and not just cherry pick a very expensive big fish.

Last edited:

The only reason there is question marks over them is because neither have really had the opportunity those you named have had, outside Tom Green, to be the in the first choice midfield. Lets not forget when Ross first debuted in 2019 he looked quite at home as part of the midfield until he got injured and since then has been a revolving door type of player, who fills in for a week or so then gets replaced again.

Which is why it's important that we are able to give them opportunity when it arises to become part of the future. I'd like to see us keep Mansell and Martyn in the line up with Prestia and Vlastuin out for the next month at least.

I know I’ll cop it for this but I think Matt Crouch would be worthwhile in our team feeding it out. We need another ball winner and I’d rather get him as a free agent that wouldn’t cost too much and keep our picks (would probably take multiple picks) to get Green or Cerra.
Yeah he'd be a good fit.

How much would an A-grader cost in terms of trade capital and how did that work out for Hawthorn when they did the same with Wingard, Mitchell and O'Meara when they tried to extend their premiership window? The fact is that all they did was simply delay what they needed to do all along and replenish through the draft. Again there are always exceptions, like a very specific need and very specific player, like a young KPF like a Ben King for example. Then you might consider selling the farm. However, say offering two first rounders (at least) for any of those players simply to provide 'cover' would be pretty reckless.

Cover is another word for depth, and again unless you are selling the farm for a very very specific need, that's what the draft is for. With so many picks and with so many players with question marks - longevity or will they make it I hope we go for wholesale renewal via the draft and not just cherry pick a very expensive big fish.
Hawks didn't get those guys to extend the window. They got them when the dynasty was over and the cupboard was bare after hodge, Mitchell, roughead, Lewis etc moved on. They did get Gunston, Lake, Hale, Frawley, Gibson, Burgoyne and McEvoy when the window opened though.

I dont think we'll have the same problem with the talent and age demographic of the list if we can add a couple of mature agers of the next few years to transition.

Yeah he'd be a good fit.

Hawks didn't get those guys to extend the window. They got them when the dynasty was over and the cupboard was bare after hodge, Mitchell, roughead, Lewis etc moved on. They did get Gunston, Lake, Hale, Frawley, Gibson, Burgoyne and McEvoy when the window opened though.

I dont think we'll have the same problem with the talent and age demographic of the list if we can add a couple of mature agers of the next few years to transition.

That's a call that you can now make in retrospect. At the time they (including Clarkson) thought they were very much in the window. Frankly dynasties are kind of like wars, more often than not they are lost way before the final surrender, the losing side just doesn't know it at the time. Anyhow I could go through the list of players that you mentioned. Nearly all were recruited prior to the onset of the threepeat, with some costing chump change and one being a free agent. The only one that doesn't fall under these categories was McEvoy but again he was addressing a very specific need as a ruckman and again didn't cost 2 first rounders that would be demanded for the most players spoken of in this forum.

As always I don't think anyone really objects to any of the names mentioned (again overlooking Dunkley when he had played for our VFL team is almost unforgivable) it's just how much they would cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back