Not open for further replies.

Tygrys

Club Legend
Mar 26, 2009
Dallas, Texas
AFL Club
Richmond
My trade bait players:

Caddy - clearly not in the 22 at the moment and could be a valuable pick up for another club on the cusp of making the 8.
Coleman-Jones - ideally he stays and becomes the long term Jack replacement who can also pinch hit in the ruck, however we've got good depth in the rucks now and he could draw some real value for us in a trade
McIntosh - much like Ellis/Conca of the last couple of years if a club was to offer him a deal that we're not keen on matching then letting him go for the free agency compensation and cap space that may mean we keep the likes of Bolton then I'd let him go
Naish - much like Markov last year the lure of senior football could be too hard to ignore and we could use him with a 2nd/3rd round pick to get an upgraded pick
Bolton - going to no doubt draw some heat for this, but this only happens if Carr gets too greedy in terms of how much he asks for to remain at Richmond. We showed with Ellis that if you're asking for significantly more than we're prepared to pay we'll let you walk. Chances of this happening are about as slim as North making the finals, but you just never know until the contract is signed.

Nothing too controversial there. Obviously there is a figure that you would have to let Bolton walk, but I'd be damned if I know what that figure is. I think the bigger risk would be signing him for too long like Collingwood have with Grundy or Sydney with Franklin, then it could really becomes a serious albatross around your neck. And as for the others apart from McIntosh, if they aint getting a game, they are not to get us very much at the trade table.

This is especially the case with Coleman-Jones. If he can't get a game over Pickett in the ruck we are going to get peanuts for him. Play him and he really does show something and he still wants to leave and it's an entirely different story. It could be the difference between a late 1st rounder/early 2nd rounder or a 3rd rounder or worse. Just one of a number of damn good reasons for playing Coleman-Jones I would have thought.

We have the best draft hand since we drafted deledio. Keep the picks and nail the draft and we set ourselves up for another 10 years. We can't waste this opportunity and I doubt we will either. This is a strategy at least 2 years in the making.

Don't forget there will be many clubs this year looking to draft in a player with premiership experience that we might be prepared to let go.

Charlie Pannam

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Prestia is a gun who has been a major reason why we won 3 flags. So who cares.
Yer spot on despite his injuries he’s been worth every cent we’ve paid for him.
The team is completely different when him and Cotch are fit. His ability to get first hands to the ball and maintain his balance in contests is second to none

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Need another mid or two. Our midfield is ageing and injury prone and struggles to get the job done in-season.

I'd look at Green, Hopper or Cerra as trade targets or someone like Matt Crouch as a free agent if we want to hold onto our picks.

If we want a mature strong body kick chaser, no need to pay Crouch $800k for 5 years. Grab Nathan Freeman out of the VFL for nowt in the mid season draft. Racking up 40 average for Frankbados. We need players in that age group. Give him a nice deal and train him to be a Richmond man and break Collingwood once and for ever. 😂

I was wondering why we are sliding downthe ladder prior to the MSD, but this might be it. 😁

Charlie Pannam

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Wonder if clarkey has eyes for another Pickett in this years mid season draft to assist with our campaign , no way does soldo play this year, could easily slot him on long term injury list, reckon this is at play as we speak . Ball magnet from SANFL could be the go
I read a while back on the AFL site that we wouldn’t be participating in the mid season draft but Soldo to the lti list could give us that opportunity if there is someone we are super keen on??
Lower ladder position mid season could also be a factor in our decision to participate

Lord of the Wings

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2020
Pacific Island
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tigers
I read a while back on the AFL site that we wouldn’t be participating in the mid season draft but Soldo to the lti list could give us that opportunity if there is someone we are super keen on??
Lower ladder position mid season could also be a factor in our decision to participate

Balme mentioned a week ago in a radio interview that we are looking at options for a mid-season draft pick and whilst nothing was finalised he considered it likely we have one.

Charlie Pannam

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Balme mentioned a week ago in a radio interview that we are looking at options for a mid-season draft pick and whilst nothing was finalised he considered it likely we have one.
Cheers mate that’s great to hear 👍 Could be an opportunity to pinch another one considering less than half of clubs will be involved and a possible lower than expected ladder position for us

injuries to midfielders also a factor I guess to participate.
That’s definitely a change of mind as I mentioned AFL site (over a month ago) stated we wouldn’t take a pick.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
He had knee surgery at the end of last season and now has some significant groin issues ( don’t think he’s played this year).

You wouldn’t want to be taking Crouch , Meatball and Cotch into a season too high risk.

Watched Tom Green yesterday would love him but ain’t going to happen also reckon Touk Miller would be great in our system (also unattainable). Hopper also having a very good season would be a great fit.
Just reading the tea leaves i reckon the plastics captain Coniglio might be available.
Played better without him.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Picks as at the completion of round 8:-

11,14, 26, 29, 43, 47.

If we do our due dilligence and nail every pick, based off previous drafts that could look like

11 - Tom Lynch/Toby Greene/Steele Sidebottom
14 - Grant Birchall/Devon Smith/Jake Lever
26 - Jack Darling/Shane Edwards/Zack Merret
29 - Dayne Beams/Jack Gunston/Shai Bolton
43 - Andrew Swallow/Mitch McGovern/Adam Goodes
49 - Alex Fasolo/James Worpel/Kade Simpson
TYVM

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
We have the best draft hand since we drafted deledio. Keep the picks and nail the draft and we set ourselves up for another 10 years. We can't waste this opportunity and I doubt we will either. This is a strategy at least 2 years in the making.

Don't forget there will be many clubs this year looking to draft in a player with premiership experience that we might be prepared to let go.
Or in Collingwoods case.
Prelimership players.

Desperately need a midfielder, preferably in the 25-27 age range. Cotch and Prestia out badly exposed our midfield and it's defensive capabilties. Our midfield pressure was non existent and with those 2 now spending more time injured than not during a season, we need another two way runner who can find the ball in our midfield to at least battle. Got smoked against the Cats midfield, likely get smoked against the Giants midfield, although we are better around the ground.

Jan 14, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Like the idea of adding another mature mid because Cotch and Prestia while still A graders are probably only good for 60% of the year.
But wouldn’t be offloading any first or early second round picks.
Or chase Cripps, Kelly etc that’ll cost you north of 800k
Dunno about Cripps or Kelly, but I'd have no problem with us throwing the kitchen sink at Weitering in 2023. Imagine grabbing him and Sam Taylor - our defence would be top shelf sorted for the rest of the decade. Should have some coin to splash by then too, just quietly.

Dunno about Cripps or Kelly, but I'd have no problem with us throwing the kitchen sink at Weitering in 2023. Imagine grabbing him and Sam Taylor - our defence would be top shelf sorted for the rest of the decade. Should have some coin to splash by then too, just quietly.

Chase Taranto at the end of next year. Tackles, pressures, wins his own ball, kicks goals. Complete midfielder.

Out of contract next year. Likely Houli's last year. Cotch's maybe if he does another hammy. Riewoldt gone either this year or next. Will have some cash.

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
They’d only report that in the paper coz we had NO spots , soldo won’t play , there’s a spot should we be keen

Nov 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Cheers mate that’s great to hear 👍 Could be an opportunity to pinch another one considering less than half of clubs will be involved and a possible lower than expected ladder position for us

injuries to midfielders also a factor I guess to participate.
That’s definitely a change of mind as I mentioned AFL site (over a month ago) stated we wouldn’t take a pick.

Desperately need a midfielder, preferably in the 25-27 age range. Cotch and Prestia out badly exposed our midfield and it's defensive capabilties. Our midfield pressure was non existent and with those 2 now spending more time injured than not during a season, we need another two way runner who can find the ball in our midfield to at least battle. Got smoked against the Cats midfield, likely get smoked against the Giants midfield, although we are better around the ground.
Wonder if Nathan Freeman would be considered for the mid season draft. He's 25 and dominating the VFL averaging over 5 marks and 40 disposals. Could be a steal if he's over the injury troubles. Not sure what his speed is like these days though.

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Ess midfield went toe to toe with them , I wouldn’t be underestimating us

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Wonder if Nathan Freeman would be considered for the mid season draft. He's 25 and dominating the VFL averaging over 5 marks and 40 disposals. Could be a steal if he's over the injury troubles. Not sure what his speed is like these days though.
That’s the kind of pick you’d consider in mid season , history shows selecting a D grade overlooked junior ultimately fizzes out as expected

Just reading the tea leaves i reckon the plastics captain Coniglio might be available.
Played better without him.
Isn’t he on a long term contract for big money?
We wouldn’t be in the race even if they did want to move him on
Not enough cap space and can’t see GWS taking on some of the salary unless we are paying massive overs and even with his form slump they would demand at least two first rounders for him

Mar 13, 2007
THE TAN
AFL Club
Richmond
Prestia is a gun who has been a major reason why we won 3 flags. So who cares.
Yep we gave up a lot for short term success which was achieved in the first year far less the next two flags . However as everything does it came at longer term success which was pretty evident at time we recruited him . Had we recruited Steele his output from the get go may not have allowed the level of success , but his output now would most likely be greater .
We went for the gold medal and landed 3 of them and may at worst miss out in getting on the podium for a couple of years rather than settling for 6 bronze medals.
I preferred Steele at the time merely due to his price, potential durability and didn’t support the recruiting of Prestia , in hindsight I was wrong .

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
You think we might have a spare 900k in the tpp
I'd play for peanuts. :D
Nah not really saying we should get but more that after watching the amazon doco i think he's on the outer with the playing group.
Might be harder to get Green if they decide to shop him around.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
And move Balta up fwd.

No team with two of their best mids (one of whom is the captain) + best defender/general of defence + best runner/hole plugger/all round great guy + number one ruck (yes I went there) are going to be up every week. In reality our win against the Dogs was absolutely ******* outstanding given our outs (Cotch was the difference imo he’s just the leader that sets the example that just can’t not be followed).

What we need is to get our injured players back but while their out we need the mature players to step up and hope any younger players we bring in can perform. Hopefully we get Grimes back this week but the main thing is just get to the bye without anymore injuries while staying in the winning side of the W/L.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back