List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree largely but there’s one big assumption being made and that’s that there are indeed 5 clubs enquiring about him? I’ve got my doubts but who knows.
I think a late second should suffice given that’s what we paid them for Josh Caddy who was in and out of their side too from memory?
Only basing it on what Carr said to the media this week.

This isn't a shot at you, but this board makes me laugh when it comes to potential trades.

Everyone wants to get good players in but when it comes to paying the price required to get them, the reaction is usually nope don't want him if that's what it costs.

Now I get we all want to get the best players for the cheapest price, but the type of players we're reportedly chasing aren't fringe types who we're looking to pick up just to fill a list as we rebuild, they're players who we want to be best 22 from R1 2022 in particular Cerra and Narkle. I mean it would be great to land Cerra for a second rounder and Narkle for a 3rd round pick but unfortunately it won't happen. Cerra will be at least a first round pick, maybe more and I don't see Narkle being let go for anything outside a 2nd round pick.

As fans we might not like it, but I think if we start to think that this is likely to be the price the club pays it will stop the meltdowns comes trade period.
Narkle is the dictionary defintion of "fringe". He's in and out of the team like a fiddler's elbow.

A bid at pick 1 is 2400 points
Includes 20% discount
Pies currently have picks totalling about 1200 -1300 points
Serious fu** up there lol
And they can't trade out their 2022 1st rounder for 2021 currency either. Not that I 'd recommend that given their current predicament.

Josh Caddy shown more than Narkle at the time and was a higher draft pick in terms of potential.

Just to put this into perspective, Graham for mine is clearly ahead of Narkle in terms of levels
Jack is so bloody inconsistent I can’t get a read where his level is , his ordinary games are awful , he should be beyond turning in a 12p game that’s rookie stuff not for a rated player 4y in. I reckon narkle would be a good player for us a reg 25p plus player , as we’ve experienced they don’t grow on trees

Bolton won’t leave, he’s just doing what Dusty did a few years back, doing exactly what Carr says…
Exactly.
It’s been said multiple times that he’s not signing till the end of the year.
It’s in his best interests to do that and Carr has made that a habit with his players.
He loves the club and has a lot of close friends there, loves living in Melbourne, very unlikely to leave, people need to chill

Is that meant to prove anything? His games for over a month before that were awful t & his latest game was pure sh*t.

The club & supporters desperately need a good news story. Signing after Jacks 300th would have been a massive boost for us & the club. He didn't & now we are getting reports from the media & Dimma himself telling us he hasn;t signed the extension they agreed to yet. It's not helping the situation
By situation do you mean your heart condition lol

Bolton won’t leave, he’s just doing what Dusty did a few years back, doing exactly what Carr says…
Maybe but the friendship with Narkle and his sister can roll both ways. Carr having both not sign until the end of the year has to be designed to have Geelong throw their hat in the ring for Bolton and Narkle to push their numbers up, doesn't it?

It's a combination of the value/length of contract that decides trade value. Adding to that is how many clubs are chasing them. If you've got one club chasing a player where they are only really offering minimum wage & 2 year deal then you're likely to get deals like we had with Butler and Markov. However if you've got 5-6 clubs having a crack then a bidding war starts and the value/length of contract increases. Once that happens then the trade value increases.

As it stands Narkle has 5 clubs enquiring about him, which means he will get a reasonable offer for him from either Geelong or a rival club. If he ends up with a 3 year $1-1.2m deal you're not going to pick him up for a 3rd round pick.
LOL what rubbish.

Jye Caldwell agreed to $550k for five years at Essendon and they gave up roughly pick 30 for him. If we use your hypothetical, three years for $1-1.2m for Narkle would equate to about pick 40. That is not how it works though. The size/length of the contract has nothing to do with the trade value. The contract is confidential and is agreed between three parties; 1) the player, 2) the manager and 3) the club who are signing him. The player then nominates his preferred club and the two clubs facilitate a trade. That’s how it works. You don’t bid for a player with picks. You bid for their services with contract terms, they then nominate you and then you agree a trade with the player’s existing club.

Also, your source for “about five clubs” going after Narkle is his manager. Do you know who his manager is? Of course he is going to talk up his demand. It’s a negotiation tactic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LOL what rubbish.

Jye Caldwell agreed to $550k for five years at Essendon and they gave up roughly pick 30 for him. If we use your hypothetical, three years for $1-1.2m for Narkle would equate to about pick 40. That is not how it works though. The size/length of the contract has nothing to do with the trade value. The contract is confidential and is agreed between three parties; 1) the player, 2) the manager and 3) the club who are signing him. The player then nominates his preferred club and the two clubs facilitate a trade. That’s how it works. You don’t bid for a player with picks. You bid for their services with contract terms, they then nominate you and then you agree a trade with the player’s existing club.

Also, your source for “about five clubs” going after Narkle is his manager. Do you know who his manager is? Of course he is going to talk up his demand. It’s a negotiation tactic.
Yep. And it's becoming more and more the case nowadays that players with higher salaries are leaving with even less currency, as clubs struggle to balance their salary cap. Caddy could very well get picked up by a rival for $350k/year for 2-3 years, but only warrant a late 4th-rounder as Richmond seek to ease cap pressure to retain Bolton etc.

And as much as we claimed that we were allowing blokes like Butler, Markov, Conca, Higgins, Lloyd etc to leave to "allow them to seek better opportunities elsewhere", I suspect it was less altruistic on our behalf and more a case of salary management.

Spot on… otherwise players like castagna would go for top 20 pick 🤣🤣

Then I would lick VB’s rim if we got that for george
surelly we can convince the suns that georgie is worth there second round pic 24

Jack is so bloody inconsistent I can’t get a read where his level is , his ordinary games are awful , he should be beyond turning in a 12p game that’s rookie stuff not for a rated player 4y in. I reckon narkle would be a good player for us a reg 25p plus player , as we’ve experienced they don’t grow on trees

I am into winning matches not racking up possessions.

What makes you think Narkle is a reg25 p player anyway?

Maybe but the friendship with Narkle and his sister can roll both ways. Carr having both not sign until the end of the year has to be designed to have Geelong throw their hat in the ring for Bolton and Narkle to push their numbers up, doesn't it?

Are suggesting Bolton is into his sister?

Either way Geelong are not far off falling off a cliff.

nepotism is a slippery slope and usually goes bad

Yeah its not great - he goes under the radar with it as well - very ordinary season overall, doesn't impact games anywhere near as much than he used to. Our drop away this year has a lot to do with the older blokes getting older - but its really guys like Graham that have hurt us as they are meant to be improving and taking off the pressure of those older blokes

Statistically, he is not far off RCD, especially when worked out pro-rata to account for their difference in Time on Ground
Screen Shot 2021-07-29 at 1.28.50 am.png

when the A+ players dont perform or are out injred the down hill skiers are exposed. nothing wrong with them really but dont expect them to lift when the game is on the line. That goes for Pickett, Kmac, George, Rioli (before he played HB) as well as fridge.

Yeah its not great - he goes under the radar with it as well - very ordinary season overall, doesn't impact games anywhere near as much than he used to. Our drop away this year has a lot to do with the older blokes getting older - but its really guys like Graham that have hurt us as they are meant to be improving and taking off the pressure of those older blokes

Statistically, he is not far off RCD, especially when worked out pro-rata to account for their difference in Time on Ground
View attachment 1190024

Just highlights RCD should be getting more games of footy given he is just starting.

What are the stats on the other mids for us?

If we try and get Jack Macrae at the end of next year FA what should we offer him? Have to be more than the Bulldogs. Well north of Mitchells price to. If we got Macrae and Boak next year via FA how would that improve us?? Our stats should rise, no?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back